Why don't they write proper synopses?

Tesha-X

[Rant] Isn't a synopsis supposed to be a kind of summary to pull readers in?

If so, why am I seeing some variations of
"He badassely kicks some asses, and then awesomely rides his RAD skull bike into the sunset" all the time? [Rant]

[Opinion] Like, that's a red flag there. Readers are like babies with PTSD, you can't interest them with bright toys(originality) anymore. Instead, trick them with some magic tricks(summaries), and once they're amazed—because readers, like babies, are profoundly stupid—only then you give them the toys(originality). [Opinion]

[Explanation] If you are wondering why I'm tagging my paragraphs, it's to help some people understand subjectivity. [Explanation]

[Reflection] I realised how cringe this is just now, but I'm still gonna post it. [Reflection]

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

"He badassely kicks some asses, and then awesomely ride his RAD skull bike into the sunset" all the time? [Rant]

[Opinion] Like, that's a red flag there. Readers are like babies with PTSD, you can't interest them with bright toys(originality) anymore. Instead, trick them with some magic tricks(summaries), and once they're amazed—because readers, like babies, are profoundly stupid—only then you give them the toys(originality). [Opinion]

[Explanation] If you are wondering why I'm tagging my paragraphs, it's to help some people understand subjectivity. [Explanation]

[Reflection] I realised how cringe this is just now, but I'm still gonna post it. [Reflection]
They can’t. Also readers are quite literally retarded because of all the cooming. Don’t expect logical conclusions to come out of a site that worships f*tas

Arkus86

<Assumption>Because they put as much effort into the summary, as they put into the rest of the novel.</Assumption>

<Conclusion>It's good they write the synopsis like that, as it serves to warn you of the novel's quality before you delve into it and burn yourself</Conclusion>

Tesha-X

<Assumption>Because they put as much effort into the summary, as they put into the rest of the novel.</Assumption>

<Conclusion>It's good they write the synopsis like that, as it serves to warn you of the novel's quality before you delve into it and burn yourself</Conclusion>
[Admission] I have the horrible habit of at least reading the first chapter if it looks a bit promising. So, yeah, I'm an expert at delving and burning. [Admission]

PancakesWitch

Synopsis dont necessarily have to summarize the story, they're more like a small introduction. If you simply tell them what happens there, they wont be interested completely because they'll think they know everything by assuming you gave them a "spoiler", so ultimately you have to try to narrate a synopsis by explaining what happens before the story even begins, this way you can introduce them to the story withtout telling them what the mc is going to do or not. Other times they consider synopsis too big so they won't read, so try to make them as short as fucking possible

NitroxDarks

I don't care about a synopsis, nor the tags (unless it has something I don't like), nor the reviews. I think it's pretentious to qualify a novel by its synopsis, do people think of a great, renown movie's synopsis or do they talk about the movie?

As such, I myself just didn't care about writing my own as I merely used it to give, real fast, an introduction to the world I'm trying to create. If people do their best to create synopsis I think that's up to them, and someone who does extra work is no one to laugh at. Similarly, I think it's hella stupid that people either mock one out of 'low quality' of itself when the writer probably only wrote* it for fun, so as to say. On another pov, it's just sad that people would criticize a synopsis because of how badly written (grammar and possible broken english) it is instead of giving advise.

Like, when I started to write, a reader reminded me from not using 'i' instead of 'I'. I never write in a computer the way I usually do in a notebook and the like so I wasn't used to it; yet I think it's the only comment I've read that's reached out to help me avoid embarrassment.

I see that the same way with synopsis, such a thing shouldn't be the factor of someone deciding to read something or not, it's as if you're giving control towards some digital words. As for those who read one chapter and decide whether or not it's worth their time, I can only think of one word, frustrating.

I myself give a novel a good amount of chapters, even when I'm clearly not liking them (except for a few, cough cough). Mostly because they irk me in some way or it's just not meant for me to read, not because of one chapter or a synopsis.

If anything, I read synopsis to give myself a heads up that I'm about to enter into another author's world and creation.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You don't want to give away too much of the story. Some people err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers.

Noel_Elitia

i too was going with a synopsis of nine words and because people thought i was acting lazy i had to recently change it.

iamchangingthissoon

custom title! yay
I have no idea, I'm struggling with mine, and I often don't read it (when reading someone else's work).

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

"He badassely kicks some asses, and then awesomely ride his RAD skull bike into the sunset" all the time? [Rant]

Ai-chan has never seen anything like that here. Can you provide a link so that Ai-chan can understand the topic better?

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
'He badassely kicks some asses, and then awesomely ride his RAD skull bike into the sunset" - thanks, I was having trouble with mine, gonna nick this, although the skull bike will have to be a horse
skull horse, ghost rider style

Echimera

There are two extremes:
  • Two or three sentences that tell us basically nothing about the story besides the fact that it's Isekai (for example)
  • Basically a chapter's worth of synopsis that may or may not tell me what the story is about
Personally, I'd like to at least get an idea of what a story is about, ideally without piecing it together from dialogue that lacks all context, before I even put it on one of my Plan to Read lists, so chances are if a synopsis is either of these cases and the tags don't tell me what it's about either, it's going to end up on the 'don't clog the Latest Update section' list.

I usually look at the tags too, because some of them can tell a lot about both a story and how much thought the author actually puts into it. Not much a fan of BL or tragedy, so it'll end up on the filter-list almost automatically, for example.