Why is every almost fantasy adventure story with a female MC gender bender?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Basically, what I wanted to say, is that Gender and Race, as traits, are severely overrated and usually lead to lazy writing. What you said is true, because it's basically the same thing. A Male can be cold because he was in a male household, or because he was in a female household, or because he was like that from the beginning. Do you notice something here? Gender doesn't matter AS MUCH if it matters at all. The race is the same. Because all the little things, all the little details, all the books, the interaction, the upbringing, a single phrase, cartoons, mangas, games, friends, and SO many more form us as a personality. A freaking climate can affect your personality. If you were bitten by a dog or scratched by a cat in your childhood. There are so many more things. And in the end, you say: Gender can be similar. Yeah, it can. A tiny little piece of our personality, it's overrated. We have feminine and masculine parts of ourselves. We are basically genderless if you don't take our body into consideration and equalize our upbringing. Why are there boyish girls? Or girlish boys? It's not how it should work. Oh, a gender theory got us covered, no it's not. Ever heard of an Androgyny? The history of this term, how it pops up in different cultures?
Yeah, which is why I'm saying all this time that I basically agree with you :blob_sweat: Just with maybe the added caveat that we don't need to ignore it either. It can be a part, it can not be a part. Everyone can decide for themselves and get stunning results nonetheless. It depends on how imaginative and how good of an author they are no matter the approach they take.

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
This hurts my brain to read all of it, but this is what I wanted so, hooray.

SailusGebel

Yeah, which is why I'm saying all this time that I basically agree with you :blob_sweat: Just with maybe the added caveat that we don't need to ignore it either. It can be a part, it can not be a part. Everyone can decide for themselves and get stunning results nonetheless. It depends on how imaginative and how good of an author they are no matter the approach they take.
The point I make when I say you should write genderless, precisely because that way you won't succumb to this. You would concentrate on other fine details. Humans always look and search for an easy way, and how we can simplify things. The same goes here, you have an easy way that you can justify or a more hard way, that won't let you cut the corners as much. What should we choose here? I think the answer is obvious because not every person has a will of steel that will not succumb to the temptation of simplifying his life. Then why not cut off this temptation at all? It's how some people stay sober because they are afraid of not being able to stop themselves. Same thing here.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
The point I make when I say you should write genderless, precisely because that way you won't succumb to this. You would concentrate on other fine details. Humans always look and search for an easy way, and how we can simplify things. The same goes here, you have an easy way that you can justify or a more hard way, that won't let you cut the corners as much. What should we choose here? I think the answer is obvious because not every person has a will of steel that will not succumb to the temptation of simplifying his life. Then why not cut off this temptation at all? It's how some people stay sober because they are afraid of not being able to stop themselves. Same thing here.
But the thing is: Not every person is the same. If one person needs to 'cut off temptation' so be it. Maybe another doesn't. Some people don't even plan their characters at all and just go with what inspiration hits them in the face with.

The technique you suggest probably works like a charm for you so it's superior in your eyes. But for people who don't plan the way you do, who are at a different stage of their experience as an author, who have a different way of going about things, this way might not be the same. Maybe they need to fix down every little detail and like to start with external factors like the character's appearance (which their biological sex and gender might influence) because that inspires them to come up with the intrinsic parts of this character. If that works for them, another technique might be superior to them because it allows them to get the best result.

Techniques are just tools and not every tool is the right tool for every person. Depending on the outcome they desire and the way they work, they might need different tools. And in that case, those tools are superior to them.

SailusGebel

But the thing is: Not every person is the same. If one person needs to 'cut off temptation' so be it. Maybe another doesn't. Some people don't even plan their characters at all and just go with what inspiration hits them in the face with.

The technique you suggest probably works like a charm for you so it's superior in your eyes. But for people who don't plan the way you do, who are at a different stage of their experience as an author, who have a different way of going about things, this way might not be the same. Maybe they need to fix down every little detail and like to start with external factors like the character's appearance (which their biological sex and gender might influence) because that inspires them to come up with the intrinsic parts of this character. If that works for them, another technique might be superior to them because it allows them to get the best result.

Techniques are just tools and not every tool is the right tool for every person. Depending on the outcome they desire and the way they work, they might need different tools. And in that case, those tools are superior to them.
Btw, I don't plan when I write. But I do hold these principles in my head when I write. At least try to.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
My point is that a Y chromosome is a broken X chromosome. Males have expressed their envy in numerous ways over the course of animal evolution. Thankfully, writing is one of the more humane methods.
I don't know - not having to worry about pregnancy seems like a plus to me.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't know - not having to worry about pregnancy seems like a plus to me.
Making excuses like this is another way of coping with uterus envy. It's the "sour grapes" phenomenon.

And if anyone wants to mention "penis envy" . . .

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Making excuses like this is another way of coping with uterus envy. It's the "sour grapes" phenomenon.

And if anyone wants to mention "penis envy" . . .
I'm a cis woman, silly. They can have my uterus - I don't need it.

CL

Where the HECK are the male fantasy adventure stories that are FTM gender bender
I remember reading a manga that had centered around some MMO game and a player(female) created a male character to prove she could get by without the gaming community's simping all over her. As for novels, I know of a couple of them (I read one recently about a modern girl reincarnated back in time as a eunuch), but, yes, they are a rare breed.

thedude3445

Here in Scribble

Here in Novelupdates

Take it with a grain of salt tho. If there is something This One Ranter does not trust, it is the capability of authors/readers to tag properly a story.

Another reason why the site needs community tagging instead of author tagging for things beyond genre! It would be nice.

Also I hope someday soon that FTM gender bender becomes a huge success on the site just like the opposite.

Reactions: CL

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
Another reason why the site needs community tagging instead of author tagging for things beyond genre! It would be nice.

Also I hope someday soon that FTM gender bender becomes a huge success on the site just like the opposite.
But what if troll? 👉😕 (aka🤔)

OvidLemma

I am only half shitposting when I ask, would going back and retroactively adding an isekai/Gender Bender prologue to a story be enough to add all that extra attention to any given story with a female protagonist? Because pretty much every Gender Bender story I have ever read on the internet mentions the protagonist as a male for like 2 chapters at best and then they're a girl from then on with almost no mentions of the character's past afterwards.
Then I take it you haven't read any of my GB stories, because I don't think I've ever written a story like that. And I would be annoyed by an author doing that, too.

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
I am only half shitposting when I ask, would going back and retroactively adding an isekai/Gender Bender prologue to a story be enough to add all that extra attention to any given story with a female protagonist? Because pretty much every Gender Bender story I have ever read on the internet mentions the protagonist as a male for like 2 chapters at best and then they're a girl from then on with almost no mentions of the character's past afterwards.
My story has continuing mentions of my character's past life. Although to be fair some people from her previous life followed her to her new one so it makes a little sense. Oh and unlike most isekai stuff almost all the main cast knows about or will learn about the fact that the MC is reincarnated.

thedude3445

My story has continuing mentions of my character's past life. Although to be fair some people from her previous life followed her to her new one so it makes a little sense. Oh and unlike most isekai stuff almost all the main cast knows about or will learn about the fact that the MC is reincarnated.
That's good! You set a good example for the stories that aren't as good about it.

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
That's good! You set a good example for the stories that aren't as good about it.
Well thank you! I hope I'm setting a good example cause I really like my story! I don't know how good it is but people seem to like it so I'm sure it's fine...