Why is there a dropped option?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Hi, I’m in a horrible mood so I decided to fix it by complaining—again.

So! Why is there a dropped actions for readers? It really bamboozle me when I think I have x amount of readers, but oh wait! A few have decided to drop them too? Why not just delete the novel from your reading list? That’s why I do at least.

SailusGebel

So! Why is there a dropped actions for readers? It really bamboozle me when I think I have x amount of readers, but oh wait! A few have decided to drop them too? Why not just delete the novel from your reading list? That’s why I do at least.
So that readers won't forget that they already checked the novel, and it wasn't to their liking.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
So that readers won't forget that they already checked the novel, and it wasn't to their liking.
Really? I think it’s fine if you check out novels you already dropped since they might’ve improved since then. Maybe that’s also why. They’re dropped but the reader can still check them out?

SailusGebel

Really? I think it’s fine if you check out novels you already dropped since they might’ve improved since then. Maybe that’s also why. They’re dropped but the reader can still check them out?
Yes, that's probably another reason.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
what the chance of that to actually happen?

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
My memory is worse than the attention span of a goldfish, and I also like organization, so I throw everything in reading lists.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger

As a middle finger to you

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
Reading lists let you hide stories from the Latest Updates section.

That way readers won't be reminded of the traumatic experience that is reading smut.
That's what release filtering is for. That way they never show up in the first place.
isn’t like 40% of the novels here smut
You might be surprised: It's actually just 10 percent.
(1004 / 10087 series ~9.9%) (500 / 4185 series with 10+ chapters ~11.9%)

Now if you count "Adult" or "Mature" or "Smut"... that is roughly 35 percent.
(3399 / 10087 series ~33.7%) (1594 / 4185 series with 10+ chapters ~38.0%)

Last edited:

xiaomangisbusy

Some people just don't want to read a certain genre/tag that often pairs with other genres/tags they like.

I write Chinese BL. My current novel is xianxia BL and I just have to accept the fact that some people will place my novel in dropped because it's BL. Some will also avoid my novel because it's a Chinese setting. That's fine. That's just their preference.

Maybe they do read BL/chinese settings but my first few chapters weren't appealing to them because it has a complicated intro and requires some investment. That's fine too. Sometimes I also just want to do some light casual reading and not start something heavier like my novel.

That being said, I do think the dropped number shouldn't count towards your total reader count. It makes the total reader count feel misleading for readers and the writer. I understand it's kind of anxiety-inducing as a writer to see the number of 'dropped' go up for your novel though.

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
>be bored
>Click some random Story because why not
>Don't read Summery or chapter
>Read how a minotar spreads someone
>Mfw

Reading lists let you hide stories from the Latest Updates section.

That way readers won't be reminded of the traumatic experience that is reading smut.

Attachments

• -5316519830381245958_120.jpg
    -5316519830381245958_120.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49

Yati

I thought that if you delete it, it also removes the likes you have given to chapters.
Also dropping something does not always mean it was all bad. It could also just mean that it was good up to a point and that a reader decided not to continue reading after a certain point. I can certainly imagine that happening with long stories that are in arcs and volumes.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Some people just don't want to read a certain genre/tag that often pairs with other genres/tags they like.

I write Chinese BL. My current novel is xianxia BL and I just have to accept the fact that some people will place my novel in dropped because it's BL. Some will also avoid my novel because it's a Chinese setting. That's fine. That's just their preference.

Maybe they do read BL/chinese settings but my first few chapters weren't appealing to them because it has a complicated intro and requires some investment. That's fine too. Sometimes I also just want to do some light casual reading and not start something heavier like my novel.

That being said, I do think the dropped number shouldn't count towards your total reader count. It makes the total reader count feel misleading for readers and the writer. I understand it's kind of anxiety-inducing as a writer to see the number of 'dropped' go up for your novel though.
Yeah that’s what I was wondering too, why does the dropped readers count as well?

xiaomangisbusy

Yeah that’s what I was wondering too, why does the dropped readers count as well?
idk, i'm not well-versed in coding or how the stats systems work

it's a brand new feature so it may just need to go through some refining and tweaking?
you can consider making a feature request about it if you feel strongly enough

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I thought that if you delete it, it also removes the likes you have given to chapters.
Also dropping something does not always mean it was all bad. It could also just mean that it was good up to a point and that a reader decided not to continue reading after a certain point. I can certainly imagine that happening with long stories that are in arcs and volumes.
Considering that you can add a novel to your reading list, leave a rating, then remove it from your reading list with the rating staying permanent, I don't think it will affect the likes.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
idk, i'm not well-versed in coding or how the stats systems work
This one is actually really easy.
It's the number of people with the series on a reading list labeled as "dropped."
As for readers, it's the number of people with the book on a reading list.

By definition, those overlap.

bigbear51

Somehow I figured when this became a thing people would eventually complain about it too.