Why keep your illegitimate son alive then?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Having this problem in ny head since reading A Will Eternal long ago and having no forms of explanation till the very end with the death of the Bai family. Nicely done by the way, I love how the father who is also the head of the family died like a dog as he barked madly at the illegitimate son played by MC (I dislike the MC's childishness, that's it) .

For context, the family head boned a servant/ peasant girl and she got pregnant with the illegitimate son. She was neither put as concubine or at the very least executed, instead she was forced into a small dirty space with a well for water and a hut for shelter. When the son was still wee young, the poor woman was forced to jump down or got thrown down the dried well, killing her and her corpse was never retrieved.

How is this being shown? When Bai Xiaochun (MC btw, hate the name) posed as the illegitimate son and tried to impress the family head as he believed that only the first wife and her son hated him, the motherfucker brought him into the small dirty space and sprawled on the ground were the dirty hemp clothes and baby toys from his childhood. When they got close to the dried well, the family head made a death threat saying that a dirty dog shall always be a dirty dog, if not, he could always join his mother.

At that moment of time, I flipped. What the fucking fuck. This was unaccounted hostility, I know that in nobilities potrayed by KR as pragmatic fucks, I have never seen this level of animosity from a father to his illegitimate son. Until now, from Legendary Youngest Son of the Marquis House, a manhwa.

I get that the family head can be bombarded with fake news and grow to hate his crooked loinfruit. And since the illegitimate son is an eyesore, why not just "accident" him to death then? Why purposely torment him?

I need help to understand what the fuck is going inside these fuckers' head, please. Because I am making a first villain as a baron who have two sons, one from the first wife and another from a dead prostitute and in the story, he loves the latter more because of lousy reasons like the first wife and her overbearing family due to the baron being a commonborn, the first son is a dud in magehood while the illegitimate son has the similar talent in magic.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So for the lulz and stroking their tiny egos you say?

Fair point. Really fair point to make a petty villain.

Was hoping for a higher understanding of detrimental human behaviour though.

By the way, when Bai xiaochun's character was doing great in the family competition, all the head could think of, while every other elders were praising wanting to reward him, was swiftly killing the illegitimate son in the most gruesome and painful way possible once he got out of the training ground

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Because killing your child is frowned upon. You can ignore and neglect them, but unless the mother is a slave or someone of similar standing, you need to raise it.

Also, I only watched the animation. Is the bai family arc at the beginning of the book? Bai Xiaochun jumped directly into the immortal realm in the donghua, so I'm completely clueless about that part.

SailusGebel

Because as we all know, if the plot doesn't happen, no bastard or illegitimate son\daughter would ever show up. Those 'nobles' don't know about the plot armor of the bastard MC, and other nobles don't know how to scheme and use illegitimate children unless it somehow involves MC. That's why I ask you a question. Why bother killing someone who won't be able to do a thing to you?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Because killing your child is frowned upon. You can ignore and neglect them, but unless the mother is a slave or someone of similar standing, you need to raise it.

Also, I only watched the animation. Is the bai family arc at the beginning of the book? Bai Xiaochun jumped directly into the immortal realm in the donghua, so I'm completely clueless about that part.
No no no. In the novel, it is at around 500 ~ 700 ish.

Not that family.
Because as we all know, if the plot doesn't happen, no bastard or illegitimate son\daughter would ever show up. Those 'nobles' don't know about the plot armor of the bastard MC, and other nobles don't know how to scheme and use illegitimate children unless it somehow involves MC. That's why I ask you a question. Why bother killing someone who won't be able to do a thing to you?
So what you are saying is, the father is a dick for just being a dick.

Shit. That sucks. Was really hoping for a higher reason but that is just it, isn't it? He sucks, he is a monster. Just like the nobles who would slaughter peasants for kicks, the family head is a monster because he is untouchable and cannot be accounted for child abuse.

How the plot goes is: MC meets the dead illegitimate son, disguises as him, found out about the family relation and promptly joins a king's army and fucks the family upside down.

SailusGebel

So what you are saying is, the father is a dick for just being a dick.

Shit. That sucks. Was really hoping for a higher reason but that is just it, isn't it? He sucks, he is a monster. Just like the nobles who would slaughter peasants for kicks, the family head is a monster because he is untouchable and cannot be accounted for child abuse.
Did the father know that he knocked someone up? Or he fucked her once and then forced her to leave? Like, how did everyone know servant girl got pregnant? Why was everyone sure that this father inseminated her and not some other servant boy?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Did the father know that he knocked someone up? Or he fucked her once and then forced her to leave? Like, how did everyone know servant girl got pregnant? Why was everyone sure that this father inseminated her and not some other servant boy?
Fair point. The work failed to take into account of that and so did I. Not much had been stated, only the fact that everyone in the family accepted the illegitimate son is from the head and bullied him for it.

So the father might be cuckolded or forced into accepting something that might not even be his... could be why he is livid. Also the servant girl might chose not to abort the child despite knowing no one liked her and her child.

I've gotten one sided, completely siding with the MC and the supposed illegitimate son, who was shown as sweet and still dutiful to the father that wants him to suffer and die. Another fairpoint for me to take note of.
As far as I can recall, the mother is a servant. Not sure if she count as a slave (property) but all I know (contextually) is that she got mistreated badly before her unwanted leap into the well.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
chose not to abort the child despite knowing no one liked her and her child
In a lot of societies, abortion is not an option, so a girl that got impregnated by a random dude has to give birth. Not to forget that the father is a noble, so killing his seed is the same as killing a noble. So yeah, the girl is always fucked. Especially in asian culture, once she lost her innocence she won't find anyone who'd be willing to marry her.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
In a lot of societies, abortion is not an option, so a girl that got impregnated by a random dude has to give birth. Not to forget that the father is a noble, so killing his seed is the same as killing a noble. So yeah, the girl is always fucked. Especially in asian culture, once she lost her innocence she won't find anyone who'd be willing to marry her.
Move left and she's fucked and move right and she's fucked.

Fuck.

FallingLeaf

Are you talking about the Bai Hao thing? Seemed to be a lot of Sunk Cost fallacy thing where the braindead 'father' decided he'd already screwed the pooch in regards to his bastard son, so he might as well keep screwing it and try assassinating him or bringing him down after his 'son's' miraculous return, despite BXC (also-agreed, his name is stupid) being the MC and doing all sorts of ridiculous things and having open backing and friendship with the Giant Ghost King, among other things.

I think it was known/proven that Bai Hao was a bastard son, even if he was ignored/bullied for it. Given how freely we see other high level characters being willing to kill or exile descendants that displease them, it really just does come across as the 'father' being a moron who is also buying into the Sunk Cost fallacy and xianxia paranoia mindset of 'I wronged them once, I much continue to wrong them and try to kill them before they can kill me.'

And that's ignoring the nonsense that happened in the divine world/third realm section where "all past transgressions were forgiven because of having to unite against the outer world" stuff, despite some of those people that were forgiven being just as bad to the MC as the stupid father was.

Nyctophobia

I get that the family head can be bombarded with fake news and grow to hate his crooked loinfruit. And since the illegitimate son is an eyesore, why not just "accident" him to death then? Why purposely torment him?
Death is a release from the pain of living in this prison we call the world where there is nothing left in it but complete misery, prolonging someone's pain and suffering by denying them death is an act of untold cruelty for the purpose of cruelty.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Are you talking about the Bai Hao thing? Seemed to be a lot of Sunk Cost fallacy thing where the braindead 'father' decided he'd already screwed the pooch in regards to his bastard son, so he might as well keep screwing it and try assassinating him or bringing him down after his 'son's' miraculous return, despite BXC (also-agreed, his name is stupid) being the MC and doing all sorts of ridiculous things and having open backing and friendship with the Giant Ghost King, among other things.

I think it was known/proven that Bai Hao was a bastard son, even if he was ignored/bullied for it. Given how freely we see other high level characters being willing to kill or exile descendants that displease them, it really just does come across as the 'father' being a moron who is also buying into the Sunk Cost fallacy and xianxia paranoia mindset of 'I wronged them once, I much continue to wrong them and try to kill them before they can kill me.'

And that's ignoring the nonsense that happened in the divine world/third realm section where "all past transgressions were forgiven because of having to unite against the outer world" stuff, despite some of those people that were forgiven being just as bad to the MC as the stupid father was.
Then I can't learn anything but NOT pull this shit.

Also, KR seem to pull the same BS.
Legendary Youngest Son of the Marquis House

SternenklarenRitter

It could also be explained by the world setting. The dastard father might have no moral objection to killing his kid, but instead have a religious fear of local legends of a wrathful spirit who eats the tongues and eyeballs out of fathers who kill their sons, leaving them alive, but mute, blind, and disfigured so all could see their shame.

DutyInternal

Having this problem in ny head since reading A Will Eternal long ago and having no forms of explanation till the very end with the death of the Bai family. Nicely done by the way, I love how the father who is also the head of the family died like a dog as he barked madly at the illegitimate son played by MC (I dislike the MC's childishness, that's it) .

For context, the family head boned a servant/ peasant girl and she got pregnant with the illegitimate son. She was neither put as concubine or at the very least executed, instead she was forced into a small dirty space with a well for water and a hut for shelter. When the son was still wee young, the poor woman was forced to jump down or got thrown down the dried well, killing her and her corpse was never retrieved.

How is this being shown? When Bai Xiaochun (MC btw, hate the name) posed as the illegitimate son and tried to impress the family head as he believed that only the first wife and her son hated him, the motherfucker brought him into the small dirty space and sprawled on the ground were the dirty hemp clothes and baby toys from his childhood. When they got close to the dried well, the family head made a death threat saying that a dirty dog shall always be a dirty dog, if not, he could always join his mother.

At that moment of time, I flipped. What the fucking fuck. This was unaccounted hostility, I know that in nobilities potrayed by KR as pragmatic fucks, I have never seen this level of animosity from a father to his illegitimate son. Until now, from Legendary Youngest Son of the Marquis House, a manhwa.

I need help to understand what the fuck is going inside these fuckers' head, please. Because I am making a first villain as a baron who have two sons, one from the first wife and another from a dead prostitute and in the story, he loves the latter more because of lousy reasons like the first wife and her overbearing family due to the baron being a commonborn, the first son is a dud in magehood while the illegitimate son has the similar talent in magic.
I'd get around it by having an older family rule. For example, the Seljuk sultanate had a rule that no royal blood will be shed in Seljuk lands- or something along those lines. Family customs banning the killing of other family members would be my method.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

They wanna vent on him

CL

I believe there were a lot of similarities towards this father's way of thinking that could also be found in the Edwardian societies. Thankfully we dropped that behavior (most of it) like a bad habit. :blob_hide:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If there'd be rules preventing those kind of scenario there'd no easy way to write those psycopath edgelord MCs the Chinese seem to love. Nothing's a better reason to kill everyone and their (your) familiy than "me had bad life, me do same"

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

You know, after reading the manhwa chp of Marquis' son with the guards trying to cripple MC, I was reminded of Nightwatcher.

It is a mediocre work that I dropped half way through due to the sex and not enough detective works and violence. But overall, the sunk cost fallacy somehow applied with the author replying that
the MC's father is logical for choosing to try to murder his own son, who he used as a medium for half of the empire's luck and overthrow the current dynasty for a new one in order to become the new prime minister.

The author even state that he had this plan for decades, would the guy suddenly change his heart just because MC has grown into a force to be reckoned with? Even in his death, the father did not plead for his life and instead tried to bargain with the outer god's assistance, which of course ended with him eaten by the outer god as it chided.

It did felt retarded when in later chapters, the author tried to say that the father wasn't initially heartless. Dude, don't try to whitewash the jerk, he sold his entire family for more power, that's BS.