why many authors drop their stories which is still in its beginning.

D

Deleted member 43864

Usually in my case? Reader's fault.

Some of the reader was toxic, they insult the author and tell them that their novel is trash or something (I'm not trying to offend anyone)
I even got a message to kill myself because he thought that my novel is trash, so .. yeah. Usually it's reader's fault.

Sometimes though, the Author loses their passion and decided to drop their novel.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been rocked by this a few times unfortunately almost leading me to quit

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
A few years ago, I always wrote drafts of my stories without planning an ending, it usually ends up in me not knowing what to write after a certain scene, then I drop it.

That's most likely the case for said authors, just that they decided to share their story.
Agreed, not having endings and checkpoints is daunting for writers.

To finish a drawing, I might need to remove stuffs because I messed too much. But in writing, you might be forced to retcon the beginning of the story. This sucks so much, you might as well make a new story lol

bigbear51

Well, it didn't take long at all to complain about toxic readers. Honestly, if we're talking about people dropping stories when they've barely gotten off the floor with them. It's really just that for most people, surprise surprise, are just doing it for fun and as a hobby. They weren't taking it seriously in the first place and if something comes up, then they're fine with dropping it because it doesn't really matter to most people in the grand scheme of things.

Teanam

Like many already said, a big factor is the first few readers. I had no expectations when I started posting my story, but the first readers and the comments I got here on SH were amazing and felt super nice and motivated me.

If I had started posting on RR first, I most likely would've stopped updating my story, too. I woke up the morning after my story got approved only to be greeted by a 1.9 Star rating. I kept updating regardless and was met with many more, let's call them questionable comments. Lots of blocks and cleaning up later, together with disabling my stats there, I still don't like that page, but I keep posting there because I found a few people who really enjoy my story there in the end.

Last edited:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
There could be many reasons.

It could be readers who break their motivation at the start with harsh comments or trolls who like to give 1 star to everything they see.

Lack of readers or attention into the story, especially after seeing some of the other new stories blitzing through the rankings.

Thinking about writing a book and trying to write is not the same. I learned that the hard way.

They are not native speakers, which makes writing especially hard (I know that because of myself) because some scenarios are already challenging to describe in the native language and try putting that into words into another language. I prefer the seventh chamber of hell over doing that for an all-day.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I dropped a lot of stuff because no one wanted to read it.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I think a lot of the time the reason I may not go through with fleshing out a story to a random premise that came to mind is because I’m afraid of becoming unable to get back into the groove of writing what I’m currently writing as a main story of focus.

It can also be because although I have a idea for a story, I don’t have a vivid image of the main character or even side characters at that yet. It means I have to go and expend a ridiculous amount of energy to think up these characters, how they talk, how they interact with each other, their motivations, back story, etc. That being the case, I’d be concerned about other characters I currently have a clear image of in another story I’m writing being pushed out of my head. I’ll slowly forget character interactions, events, etc that happened in another story I might be writing at that time.

That’s why a lot of story ideas don’t get fully fleshed out for me I’d say. I just write the first chapter or two out in the event they may prove to be implementable/used in an unexpected way at a later date. Rarely do these 1-2 chapter stories ever see the light of day unless I put them into my dumping ground episodic story filled with all sorts of atrocities.

Last edited:

vish

Legendary Member
I REGRET POSTING THIS THREAD, LOL...
🤣🤣🤣
So, basically
1. Toxic readers (most bitched here, lol)
2. Motivation
3. Not serious in the first place.
4. messing up the start.
5. Can't think of progress
6. High expectations
These are the reasons I understood why they drop.
Please! Pray for me that I don't get a toxic reader. I am a newbie Writter with a planned out story, so think I won't have to worry about making a progress I guess. I have no high expectations for my story but I at least want one reader who appreciates it that would be enough for me. Sigh feeling sed..

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
🤣🤣🤣
So, basically
2. Motivation
4. messing up the start.
6. High expectations
Please! Pray for me that I don't get a toxic reader. I am a newbie Writter with a planned out story, so think I won't have to worry about making a progress I guess. I have no high expectations for my story but I at least want one reader who appreciates it that would be enough for me. Sigh feeling sed..
You know what they say, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Now if we can ask @Tony for a disable comment function... at least we have a block and report user function.

LostLibrarian

Please! Pray for me that I don't get a toxic reader.
They are rather rare. I had like 1 or 2 in 5+ years of writing on multiple sites.

You'll get people who give bad votes or a "shit story" comment, but really toxic behavior is rather rare and you can also just report it.

What you'll get more of are "unfair readers". I had people give my story shit ratings because my teenage MC acted like a stupid teenager. I also had people give 1 stars because my "progression/weak-to-strong"-tag apparently didn't tell them, that my MC would be weak at the start of the story...

You have to learn to take these hits and concentrate on those, who read and like your story. And you have to learn to find the motivation in your own writing rather than through the comments of some kind of "fame".
Those are problems you'll encounter and lessons you have to learn. People will filter their thoughts on your work a lot less...

But "toxic readers" are so rare, you shouldn't fear them.
Waiting for something bad to happen will only hurt your enjoyment.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
I have some advice, Don't post on Webnovel if you can't handle toxic reader. That's it

They have 70% Toxic Reader who can't read the Novel's description that well, 20% Reader who spam Thanks for Chapter, 10% Reader who actually comment on the right thing.

Their reader base is the biggest from all website that I know, but their Toxic Reader is a lot too

vish

Legendary Member
They are rather rare. I had like 1 or 2 in 5+ years of writing on multiple sites.

You'll get people who give bad votes or a "shit story" comment, but really toxic behavior is rather rare and you can also just report it.

What you'll get more of are "unfair readers". I had people give my story shit ratings because my teenage MC acted like a stupid teenager. I also had people give 1 stars because my "progression/weak-to-strong"-tag apparently didn't tell them, that my MC would be weak at the start of the story...

You have to learn to take these hits and concentrate on those, who read and like your story. And you have to learn to find the motivation in your own writing rather than through the comments of some kind of "fame".
Those are problems you'll encounter and lessons you have to learn. People will filter their thoughts on your work a lot less...

But "toxic readers" are so rare, you shouldn't fear them.
Waiting for something bad to happen will only hurt your enjoyment.
Thanks your advice.
I have some advice, Don't post on Webnovel if you can't handle toxic reader. That's it

They have 70% Toxic Reader who can't read the Novel's description that well, 20% Reader who spam Thanks for Chapter, 10% Reader who actually comment on the right thing.

Their reader base is the biggest from all website that I know, but their Toxic Reader is a lot too
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Rainbowhero

A few years ago, I always wrote drafts of my stories without planning an ending, it usually ends up in me not knowing what to write after a certain scene, then I drop it.

That's most likely the case for said authors, just that they decided to share their story.
I had this problem with one of my stories, I didn't know where to take it, and it also didn't seem like people had liked it anyway. I personally think that I made the story too hard to write, which made it harder for me as a fledgling author to start out on it.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
me, personally? life got in the way on top of one story needing a deep restructure and remaster from the drafts i have and the other story ... well, having too many options of which way to take the story can be as problematic as having no clue on how to progress the story.

Kuropon

It's quite easy to start a story, you mostly just do worldbuilding and don't have to worry that much about the story but as it drags on there comes a time when you have to do it. Some people can't get past that.

But I haven't dropped a story yet, so wouldn't know, might have if I didn't have my many readers motivating me.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
🤣🤣🤣
So, basically
2. Motivation
4. messing up the start.
6. High expectations
You'll do fine.

Poleg

I have visited few author's profile to see their variety of stories that they have posted here, and noticed that many drop their stories in its beginning phase, like one or two chapters and bam! dropped. I can think of a few reasons like not having time or loosing all interest after writing couple of chapters but are there more reasons?
I have a Job that consumes a Lot of Energy and a lot of time. Would Love to actually have the time to write. Also Sometimes it's because what i wrote was a bit to cringy.