why many authors drop their stories which is still in its beginning.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I have a Job that consumes a Lot of Energy and a lot of time. Would Love to actually have the time to write. Also Sometimes it's because what i wrote was a bit to cringy.
I delete my cringe novels.

zelotwo02

For me it depends on my mood, I kinda suddenly gains and lose motivation on writing, but if the one thing that makes me lose all my motivation in writing, it's the ratings It's sad to see a 1star ratings without even explaining why like wth, how can I improve lol, btw you can see my profile on scribble hub I have at least 10 stories dropped and triple of that imy drafts

ForestDweller

Like many already said, a big factor is the first few readers. I had no expectations when I started posting my story, but the first readers and the comments I got here on SH were amazing and felt super nice and motivated me.

If I had started posting on RR first, I most likely would've stopped updating my story, too. I woke up the morning after my story got approved only to be greeted by a 1.9 Star rating. I kept updating regardless and was met with many more, let's call them questionable comments. Lots of blocks and cleaning up later, together with disabling my stats there, I still don't like that page, but I keep posting there because I found a few people who really enjoy my story there in the end.

I posted my story on RR first but then I got kicked out from there so I had to go here. :ROFLMAO:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Don't forget that not all novels that appear here and there are "passion projects" that only fulfill one's inner desire to write something they were eager to share with others. Some are started with expectations of gathering people and if they don't do that they are just scrapped and the author moves onto another idea that they think might hit. There are cases of "passion projects", "commercial projects", and the mix of both. All of them can die for plenty of reasons but the most common one is the lack of expected attention. Or lots of negative one if the author can't deal with it.

xiaomangisbusy

I have visited few author's profile to see their variety of stories that they have posted here, and noticed that many drop their stories in its beginning phase, like one or two chapters and bam! dropped. I can think of a few reasons like not having time or loosing all interest after writing couple of chapters but are there more reasons?
A variety of reasons. Writing a novel is like being in a romantic relationship. A lot of them don't work out for all sorts of reasons. It's pretty uncommon for someone to end up with their first love or get into a long-term relationship on the very first date right?

Sometimes they are deal-breaker reasons like the story is just a train wreck and it's easier to start with something new. Or you're unlucky and come across a toxic troll right at the beginning who criticizes every word and/or 1-star rates your work without really reading it. Maybe they'll stunt your novel's visibility by chasing away potential readers that way, etc. Other times you drift away from writing and don't have the time/capacity to rekindle that initial motivation.

A lot of us here are amateur writers. We might improve in great strides as we start to write regularly. At some point, we may realize that the initial novel we were writing no longer represents our skill and no longer satisfies us.

Personally, as a writer, I want to be very satisfied with anything I publish. I am unlikely to stop my novel at this time because I am still very happy with where it's going. At the same time, it's a double-edged sword because my updates are slow as a result of so much editing/planning hahaha. So I have to actively motivate and inspire myself to keep writing in between publishing chapters. Long-term projects almost never run on just the initial passion that a lot of people start writing stories with. That fizzles out quickly as you pass a certain word count. It takes discipline and effort to recognize when you're losing motivation. You will need to plan it out and find ways to inspire yourself/keep going.

And as much as some people like to argue it's all down to hard work and powering through to do well, sometimes it's just plain damn luck. Things worked out because it happened to be the right time and right place for your novel to publish. And that's fine too. Luck is also a part of success.

Leyligne

Lots of reasons, which fall under two categories.
Author’s fault. Insufficient plotting/planning, wrote into a corner, not feeling it, grown to hate the character and/or plot. You really should write lots of chapters ahead and be able to resolve most of these issues before anyone is aware of them, though.
Reader’s fault. Harassment, lack of views, nitpicking sort of stuff. You really shouldn’t care so much about what other people think, though. Concentrate on the good readers.
My case? Zero views. Z e r o. Which is horrible. Depression, ennui and deletion follow swiftly.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Lots of reasons, which fall under two categories.
Author’s fault. Insufficient plotting/planning, wrote into a corner, not feeling it, grown to hate the character and/or plot. You really should write lots of chapters ahead and be able to resolve most of these issues before anyone is aware of them, though.
Reader’s fault. Harassment, lack of views, nitpicking sort of stuff. You really shouldn’t care so much about what other people think, though. Concentrate on the good readers.
My case? Zero views. Z e r o. Which is horrible. Depression, ennui and deletion follow swiftly.

I'd give you a view but it says you didn't write anything....
Shouldn't have deleted it so swiftly, I guess.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't consider mine dropped, but I've been on hiatus ever since I pushed out a baby several months ago.

in my case, it got boring as fuck and i don't feel like continuing it anymore. i'd rather start over something that i might actually enjoy.

D

Deleted member 57675

- motivation
- writer's block
- real life issues
- toxic reception

- maybe rare, but can also happen: (remove story to go trad publishing with it, or bc don't want their story be plagiarized and floating online).

Last edited by a moderator:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Motivation is a challenge for me, for sure. Trying to get past the feeling of speaking to no-one... Which, to be fair, I am trying to bust out 50k words in a month, so there's gonna be trouble there. Also I haven't put LGBT tags down yet because while it's very much a thing (I can think of at least five named rainbow characters), there's no way for the viewpoint character to know yet.

Right, motivation. Keeping it up is a royal pain. I haven't encountered toxic readers yet, so who knows on that front. Then again, I am prepared to castrate any who try, hahahahaha >:)

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Also I haven't put LGBT tags down yet because while it's very much a thing (I can think of at least five named rainbow characters), there's no way for the viewpoint character to know yet.
It doesn't really matter if the MC knows about it yet though. After all, once you do add the tags, the old chapters you are writing now will still be free of the content that made you add the tags. Readers drawn in by those tags will either be displeased and leave, or start trying to figure out who they refer to. Either way, if you're planning on using a tag, you should just add it right away. Anything else will lead to the arrival of those Toxic Readers you want to castrate, when they realize something they didn't want to read about was actually going to be in the story after all.

Of course, if your LGBT characters aren't plot relevant, then you shouldn't add the tags at all. Anyone who came specifically to read about your 'Girl's Love Subplot' will be disappointed if you only added it for one paragraph of two random strangers having a quick smooch in the MC's line of sight.

Anything else will lead to the arrival of those Toxic Readers you want to castrate, when they realize something they didn't want to read about was actually going to be in the story after all.
how are the readers the toxic ones here though? they're just pissed they were bamboozled.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
how are the readers the toxic ones here though? they're just pissed they were bamboozled.
Hmm, poor phrasing. I meant to imply they would react rudely, not that they were toxic because their tastes were different. It's entirely possible for someone to just leave or politely explain why they were upset.

Kitsura

I don't want to sound crude here, but most people are terrible writers(me included). It's very easy to get discouraged and finding the motivation to write daily is difficult. I'm surprised I made it to 8 months of daily updates before finally going on a short hiatus break.

Jayrayme6

You should post somewhere else if u got 0 views, I usually get a good moderate amounts of views on other website for my stories and here I got nothing. I got views on royal road and some other websites and here jack and even then, my story doesnt fit 100% the genre of royal road. Might try KU or other venues if it doesn't improve in the next 6 months.