Why racing games will last longer in the impossible but probable gaming eradication (also small vent)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
As the fellow brain-dead gamer I am, it is not often that I put my mind to use, much less good use. This is not one of those time.

Rather, this is where I spend copious amount of time to consider something impossible and in no way arriving in the near, far, or cyberpunk future. Instead of helping out the poor or dressing up as Spiderman in the cancer treatment facility of the local hospital, I have come up with a set of poorly thought-out reasons why racing games will be the last ones standing if the anti-vaxx Karens ever gain the Dragon Balls and go on strike.

We Are Simply Under The Radar

Racing games have been thoroughly ignored throughout the gaming community. With the one and only Mario Kart series to be the face of our genre, there is no denying how criminally underrated our games get, especially towards the more MAJOR genres in the industry. Shooters take one look at our Forzas and Gran Turismos and sigh deeply as they walk away with their Call of Duties and Battlefields. MOBAs barely glance at our Need for Speeds and Burnouts before going back to polishing their already shining trophies full of LOL and Dota skins and matches. Even Overwatch - the cursed child of the two genres get more face than our genre as a WHOLE.

Well guess what, don't blame us for having a bulleyes as a target.

What's the face of the gaming industry tea, huh? That's right, that one No Russian Mission from MW2, or that Hot Coffee Mod from San Andreas, or the statistics showing the amount of Asian NEETs simply dying on their 399$ gaming chairs while marathoning Star/Warcraft. What do racing games have?

No really, what do racing games have? Yeah, you can probably blame that drunk-driving you saw on the road this Tuesday on Carmageddon and DEFINITELY not that bottle of Johnny Walker in his hand.

Racing games simply have too less to have any actual flak thrown at them. The best they could come up with is they're teaching our children how to drive dangerously!!1111!!

Karen, that Forza Horizon game on little Timmy's XBoX has less influence than last Friday when you forgot your turn signal in front of his virgin eyes.

The moment he grows up and finds out how much a car costs you can bet your essential oils double-or-nothing that he'll drive safer than an anxious grandma.

We Got Literally Nothing to Spend On

You all know what I'm saying- don't advert your 500$ Karambit skinned eyes, I know you know what I'm saying.

When the Karens start bringing up on how games are making children spend money on virtual items, you can bet our V8 ballsacks that we'll go scotfree with only a few pubic hair tugged. Racing games in general have no spending needed. Everything you ever want or need or have to have is in the default build itself.

Want a pink car? Bam, just change the paint and that's it. Want a pink AK? Gotta' pay 2$ for that, n00b. Want a pink skin for that hot looking elvish archer? Bam, there goes your lunch money.

The only thing Karens have got on us is the DLCs, and we can thank NFS: MW (2012) for that. Yeah, just pray that the words hadn't reached the Aloe Vera-scented noses of the hive-minded Karens or there'd be an extra noose at the gallows.

We Offer A Somewhat Decent Platform For Creativity (?)

Customization in gaming has been on the rise. Unless you can slap a bellend onto the frontal lobe of your medic helmet, you can say goodbye to that portion of money-to-be-made.

Boy, do we have top tier customization in our racing games.

Our customization is so top tier that their actual idiots out there who use racing games to customize their cars and liveries and wraps before moving onto the actual thing. We cater to everyone ranging from #vapenaysh Subie bros to little kids who wants to slam their Lambos lower than their IQ, to Civic weedwhackers who think their EK9 started the big bang to people with actual artistic talent that can make decent stuff with a C8 Corvette (I tried making a decent wrap for it and oh god the horror)

And that's not all. You get all that in the game itself for fuckin' free. Never in history has there been a DLC for customization options in racing game (save for the aforementioned MW (2012) and Burnout Paradise, but those are exceptions. Like how you'd expect a few not-so-well-done pies in a bakery).

Maybe that's something we can bring up in the UN discussion of whether to wipe games off the face of the globe, that little Timmy has a higher employment rate if he keeps sticking cartoon penises onto his edgy, matte black his GT-R.

We Are Less Angrier (?)

This is up for discussion. I've seen folks in Black Ops XBoX Live go apeshit bananuts over a care package or that the fact that shotguns can sometimes one-shot at a medium range. As to MOBAs, I don't need to give examples. Take a beautiful look at the burning hillside that is the Asian Twitch channels and you'd see what I'm talking about. Those soy beans are the face of anger management, I swear.

As for racing games, we simply don't have anything to talk about. Sure, we got rammers and some broken physics but we're less insecure about rammers because we know they ram to make up for their lack of skill and penis size and the broken physics happen as often as a fully paid Student Loan. You're more likely to see a controller through a television in a Team Deathmatch than an Elimination Circuit round.

So yeah, I guess we can have Less Angrier Players on the conference if the Karens ever give the gamers a chance to appeal. They'll probably shout our good points down but eh, it's worth the shot.

We Have Actual Use in The Real Racing World

Believe it or not, there are actual GoKart, stock car, procar, NASCAR and even F1 drivers that use Gran Turismo as a training ground before hitting the asphalt. They memorize chicanes and apexes and through the ever evolving physics, actually learn the whole course without touching blacktop.

I don't know, maybe there'll be a future where guns move as light as you see in TF2 or an actual need for top-down battle strategies involving three lanes and disposable minions. For now, it's just our lonely asses in here.

So yeah, that's really it. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Really hope I don't see you again cause' quite frankly, this is a massive waste of both our times.

1571742016485.jpeg

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Thoughtful analysis, but you were so focused on the racing tree that you missed the forest it is a part of.

Based on the criteras you yourself propose, and bare some specific exceptions such as any game made by modern EA that are filled to the brim with DLC opportunities, the whole Simulation genre should be pretty safe from a gamespocalypse. From the ant farm-style games like Dwarf Fortress, to the Tycoons ala Rollercoaster Tycoon, and the regular ass driving games such as Truck Simulator, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Rail Simulator, the whole subgenre of shitty german simulators, etc etc.

The closer to reality the aim of the simulation is, the safer it should be to assume it wouldn't die if the christian pearl clutchers somehow managed to take the whole games industry down. Oppositely, the more fantastic/fantasy, the lower the odds the game has uses for professionals in the real world. The Sims is basically the black sheep of this explanation, for it would get blasted for being famous, being filled with microtransaction DLC and expansion packs, having had its avenues for creativity toned down in its fourth game, having enormous amounts of fantastic elements especially in the DLCs, having devoted and therefore irritable fans, little use in the real life world when more complete house builders exist, and of course, those filthy filthy Ls, Gs, Bs, Ts and Qs that the Karens, as you call them, want to keep away from their precious overpampered babies (which, fun story, are the reason why the first game even had massive success in the first place. An accidental gay kiss in a gameplay trailer caused enormous negative buzz around the game from the concerned christian evangelists, which in turn caused positive buzz from everybody else who wouldn't have heard of the game much otherwise).

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i came in here expecting some amusing rant about nothing particularly.

what i got was 2 actually legit posts with reasonable, believeable spiel that was quite thoughtful.

kudos OP and Taxouck. :blob_sir:

BenJepheneT

Thoughtful analysis
oh damn wasn't expecting that
bare some specific exceptions such as any game made by modern EA that are filled to the brim with DLC opportunities
not Need for Speed, my dude/dudette
Oppositely, the more fantastic/fantasy, the lower the odds the game has uses for professionals in the real world.
can't argue with that. the burj khalifa wasn't designed in Super Mario Maker

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Oh, also before I forget again, pretty obvious but edutainment games ala Reader Rabbit or Minecraft Education Edition and serious games like Ring Fit Adventure and Disney Stars (an apparently now defunct serious game that was created with the purpose of serving as training for travel agency employees to sell the right disneyland packages to different customers) would likely survive as well. But these are usually considered a completely separate industry from what we mean when we say gaming, except when it's Nintendo taking a stab at it.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
As the fellow brain-dead gamer I am, it is not often that I put my mind to use, much less good use. This is not one of those time.

Rather, this is where I spend copious amount of time to consider something impossible and in no way arriving in the near, far, or cyberpunk future. Instead of helping out the poor or dressing up as Spiderman in the cancer treatment facility of the local hospital, I have come up with a set of poorly thought-out reasons why racing games will be the last ones standing if the anti-vaxx Karens ever gain the Dragon Balls and go on strike.

We Are Simply Under The Radar

Racing games have been thoroughly ignored throughout the gaming community. With the one and only Mario Kart series to be the face of our genre, there is no denying how criminally underrated our games get, especially towards the more MAJOR genres in the industry. Shooters take one look at our Forzas and Gran Turismos and sigh deeply as they walk away with their Call of Duties and Battlefields. MOBAs barely glance at our Need for Speeds and Burnouts before going back to polishing their already shining trophies full of LOL and Dota skins and matches. Even Overwatch - the cursed child of the two genres get more face than our genre as a WHOLE.

Well guess what, don't blame us for having a bulleyes as a target.

What's the face of the gaming industry tea, huh? That's right, that one No Russian Mission from MW2, or that Hot Coffee Mod from San Andreas, or the statistics showing the amount of Asian NEETs simply dying on their 399$ gaming chairs while marathoning Star/Warcraft. What do racing games have?

No really, what do racing games have? Yeah, you can probably blame that drunk-driving you saw on the road this Tuesday on Carmageddon and DEFINITELY not that bottle of Johnny Walker in his hand.

Racing games simply have too less to have any actual flak thrown at them. The best they could come up with is they're teaching our children how to drive dangerously!!1111!!

Karen, that Forza Horizon game on little Timmy's XBoX has less influence than last Friday when you forgot your turn signal in front of his virgin eyes.

The moment he grows up and finds out how much a car costs you can bet your essential oils double-or-nothing that he'll drive safer than an anxious grandma.

We Got Literally Nothing to Spend On

You all know what I'm saying- don't advert your 500$ Karambit skinned eyes, I know you know what I'm saying.

When the Karens start bringing up on how games are making children spend money on virtual items, you can bet our V8 ballsacks that we'll go scotfree with only a few pubic hair tugged. Racing games in general have no spending needed. Everything you ever want or need or have to have is in the default build itself.

Want a pink car? Bam, just change the paint and that's it. Want a pink AK? Gotta' pay 2$ for that, n00b. Want a pink skin for that hot looking elvish archer? Bam, there goes your lunch money.

The only thing Karens have got on us is the DLCs, and we can thank NFS: MW (2012) for that. Yeah, just pray that the words hadn't reached the Aloe Vera-scented noses of the hive-minded Karens or there'd be an extra noose at the gallows.

We Offer A Somewhat Decent Platform For Creativity (?)

Customization in gaming has been on the rise. Unless you can slap a bellend onto the frontal lobe of your medic helmet, you can say goodbye to that portion of money-to-be-made.

Boy, do we have top tier customization in our racing games.

Our customization is so top tier that their actual idiots out there who use racing games to customize their cars and liveries and wraps before moving onto the actual thing. We cater to everyone ranging from #vapenaysh Subie bros to little kids who wants to slam their Lambos lower than their IQ, to Civic weedwhackers who think their EK9 started the big bang to people with actual artistic talent that can make decent stuff with a C8 Corvette (I tried making a decent wrap for it and oh god the horror)

And that's not all. You get all that in the game itself for fuckin' free. Never in history has there been a DLC for customization options in racing game (save for the aforementioned MW (2012) and Burnout Paradise, but those are exceptions. Like how you'd expect a few not-so-well-done pies in a bakery).

Maybe that's something we can bring up in the UN discussion of whether to wipe games off the face of the globe, that little Timmy has a higher employment rate if he keeps sticking cartoon penises onto his edgy, matte black his GT-R.

We Are Less Angrier (?)

This is up for discussion. I've seen folks in Black Ops XBoX Live go apeshit bananuts over a care package or that the fact that shotguns can sometimes one-shot at a medium range. As to MOBAs, I don't need to give examples. Take a beautiful look at the burning hillside that is the Asian Twitch channels and you'd see what I'm talking about. Those soy beans are the face of anger management, I swear.

As for racing games, we simply don't have anything to talk about. Sure, we got rammers and some broken physics but we're less insecure about rammers because we know they ram to make up for their lack of skill and penis size and the broken physics happen as often as a fully paid Student Loan. You're more likely to see a controller through a television in a Team Deathmatch than an Elimination Circuit round.

So yeah, I guess we can have Less Angrier Players on the conference if the Karens ever give the gamers a chance to appeal. They'll probably shout our good points down but eh, it's worth the shot.

We Have Actual Use in The Real Racing World

Believe it or not, there are actual GoKart, stock car, procar, NASCAR and even F1 drivers that use Gran Turismo as a training ground before hitting the asphalt. They memorize chicanes and apexes and through the ever evolving physics, actually learn the whole course without touching blacktop.

I don't know, maybe there'll be a future where guns move as light as you see in TF2 or an actual need for top-down battle strategies involving three lanes and disposable minions. For now, it's just our lonely asses in here.

So yeah, that's really it. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Really hope I don't see you again cause' quite frankly, this is a massive waste of both our times.

Meh, I prefer to stay megalomaniac armchair general in the 4x genre. No idea why racing games should prevail. :blob_sir:

Jakotheshadows

Total War, Civ, The whole Paradox series (CK2, Victoria, HOF,etc), Mount and Blade basically sim and turn-based games have a longer life than racing games. Simply because the little violence that exists in those games isn't graphic. So no one bothers pointing fingers at them. Even though most of them have loads of DLC the modding scene is huge in these games so people are often happy with just the mods instead of DLC.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Na. You can microtransaction the hell out of racing games. You touched upon repainting, but you can make that cost money. Engines? More money.

Pretty shortsighted of you to think that just because all other types of games are gone, companies like EA won't bring their massive marketing might to bear and stick their money grubbing hands into the genre and fill it with nickel-and-diming goodness.

Also you think Karens will blame themselves for bad driving? Na, driving games all the way. Especially as the game grows closer to being a real simulation because then the Karens will blame the bad habits from playing too many racing sims.

As for toxicity, oh boy. If you allow ramming in the game (
lets be honest, racing without conflict, only aiming for beating times is pretty boring and get old quickly. Not to mention there will eventually be a limit to how perfect a run is. Not as much when PvP. That kind of vanilla boringness is a quick way to kill a genre even without Karens and their dragon balls.
), there is guaranteed to be toxicity. Try adding voice chat and suddenly all the expletives that used to be confined to the cars in real life will fill the comm channels as racers cut each other off, t-bone, all that good stuff. The only reason why controllers are less likely to go through the screen for racing games is because it's currently a fairly dead genre and gamers haven't learned to harness the road rage yet.

Long story short, if your hypothetical ever comes to pass, there will be no games left standing. No shows except learn the ABCs with animals, teletubbies, and the books that Karens are too illiterate to read.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Na. You can microtransaction the hell out of racing games. You touched upon repainting, but you can make that cost money. Engines? More money.
I've been playing racing games since 2006 and it's safe to say that even though they could, they didn't because of devastating effects it'll bring to sales.. Not one developer has ever charged for an engine, or a new paint, or anything at all in my experience, save for car packs, and even those are 80% free. The only thing they ever charged were vanity items in Forza Motorsport 7 and that was sandblasted out of existence after the first 3 months.

Pretty shortsighted of you to think that just because all other types of games are gone, companies like EA won't bring their massive marketing might to bear and stick their money grubbing hands into the genre and fill it with nickel-and-diming goodness.
Quite sick of the whole EA money-goblin stereotype at this point. They've eliminated all their "surprise mechanics" and micro-transactions starting from Battlefield V because of the amount of criticism they're getting. EA is known for turning the blind eye but at this point, the light's so strong it made the blind man see. Admittedly, there's still some little bits and pieces left in the game but those aren't game changing and right now, what the community has their sights on is how boring EA games have been.

Anthem, another FIFA, ANOTHER Madden, ANOTHER NFL, ANOTHER *insert major sport title*. Those are what they're shitting on. All except for a handful of titles like NEED FOR SPEED, which from the looks of the newest entry Heat, has virtually no micro-transaction shown in the game, and they've revealed cars, engine swaps, engine upgrades, customization items, the whole damn map (night/day), and vanity items, all without an online purchase button next to their icons. They've even released a closed demo for a handful of netizens out there and even the most skeptical of all came back with a thumbs up. Check out the NFS Reddit and you'd see what I mean.

Sure, they might offer a little in-game cash for some real bucks but that's just EA. You can't sandblast a whole tumor out and even with that, I don;t think there'll be any more idiots out there that actually buys it. And all the kids moved to Forza anyway, and that game has as much micro-transaction as smallpox right now.

Even the evilest have a taste of their medicine every once in a while. Jesus, give it a break, but not too much though. Who knows when they'll start charging every pixel for a nickel.

lets be honest, racing without conflict, only aiming for beating times is pretty boring and get old quickly. Not to mention there will eventually be a limit to how perfect a run is. Not as much when PvP. That kind of vanilla boringness is a quick way to kill a genre even without Karens and their dragon balls.
Boy, that's so not the case.

If you ain't into racing games, it's understandable that you'll look at us with disdain as you ask: "How does spending 3 hours in tuning the same vehicle be fun?" Well, my dear Axiom, neither do I. But I can also ask the same thing in "How does spending 20 minutes in a three-laned clusterfuck be fun?" You might give me a valid answer but that's like explaining the sky to a fish.

Unless you're talking about racing in GTA or Burnout, the racing gaming scene respects those who can beat times over and over again, especially if you do it in a mid-range car. Rammers still exist but they're only one retard out of a thousand, and they'll burn out pretty soon if they found out how easy it is to check the rear-view mirror and simply let the rammer fly past while you take pole position.

The understanding of chicanes and apexes while knowing the limitations of your car is just simply something we cannot explain. The feeling you get when you master the breaking point or successfully beat Monza without scratching the wall is honestly so satisfying to us. You might see some guy in a hatchback landing a good minute in an inner-NASCAR circuit but to us, it's a show of skills and patience and control. The ability to understand both your car and the track while mastering your inner aggression to just "gun it" is just all the more worth it to see your little username on the time trial board.

My dear Axiom, racing isn't just about PvP (unless you're Twisted Metal) or getting first place. Racing is about owning a tool and carving some beautiful out of it. "A limit to how perfect a run can be-" well if there is, then we're barely scratching the surface. With the amount of given cars and one single track, there's just so many runs you can do with it. Which run? A drag run? A drift run? A grip run? A mixed run? How about a touge? Or a section shootout? Or just having fun with your mates in Ford Transit Vans through the Nürburgring?

Even if you're bored with those, there's still the arcade games to try. The Wangan Midnight machines, the Forza/Need for Speed titles for people who wish to gun down a highway in a Civic faster than a Mustang, the Dirt/WRC games for dirty fun. Unrealistic but graspable physics is also an incentive to players, and that means you have the ability to surpass even the hardest, twistiest and dirtiest trick a developer can ever fairly throw at you (I say fairly cause' I tried Shift 2 on keyboard and honestly fuck pre-Project Cars MadHouse Studios).

Master both? You prove yourself worthy then. But then again, you only mastered one. How about the others? The aforementioned drift runs, touge, 1/4 mile gear heads? You can try em' all but I don't think you'd be alive to do it.

Even if you can't race, you can customize em'. Make wraps, combines aftermarket parts, make silly builds (offroading Huayra Roadster was one of my favorites) and tune them for gearheads out there with less brain but more brawn.

Racing games isn't just about racing. There's just so many more. If racing really is how you say it is, it would've died at Gran Turismo, which for people who aren't gearheads of the time, can be considered one of the most boring games of all time. It still won a GOTY, so you can ponder on that.

there is guaranteed to be toxicity. Try adding voice chat and suddenly all the expletives that used to be confined to the cars in real life will fill the comm channels as racers cut each other off, t-bone, all that good stuff.
That I can't argue. There will be toxic in any game you play, with people exploiting the shit out of bugs and people screaming on the broken physics. But it is in a very small amount compared to MOBAs or common shooters. Try a game of Horizon 4 and then a game of LoL in the same Asian server with voice chat on. You'd see what I mean.

it's currently a fairly dead genre
it's not dead, it's just a very confined genre. it's one you gotta have interest in since birth if you actually wanna enjoy it. it's like TF2 to shooters. people think it's dead but for some reason it's still sticking on top of the steam charts. we're far from dead, i can assure you that. if we are dead, you wouldn't see another Forza title in E3 ever again. trust me on that.

but what say do i have? it's just ramblings of a braindead gamer looking to procrastinate on his side-hobby - writing. you might be completely right and i might be completely wrong. there wouldn't be a way to tell the truth unless the karens really gather the dragon balls.

heck, why bother anyway. you already know the type of shit i put out. even if they're not bullshit they might be anyway

BenJepheneT

Meh, I prefer to stay megalomaniac armchair general in the 4x genre. No idea why racing games should prevail. :blob_sir:
i say last longer, not last forever. karens would defend candy crush to their last drop of essential oils

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
I'm not even quite sure what the point of this thread is.

First of all, I mostly agree with Axiom here, all the things you claim aren't present could be easily put into racing games as well.

Great, microtransactions aren't there yet. But why not? Because the target group is not the kind that can be easily milked and it is too small. If you eradicate all other genres and Racing games are the only ones left, that would mean that the majority of people would shift over to racing games and then you're back to the same practice as before. Milk them dry. And making games more competitive is an easy method to encourage spending money. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. That's wishful thinking.
Because, you know, that's the point. For most companies, the prime objective is to make money. Figure why. They would be NPOs if not. And if there's an easy way to make money, there's literally no reason not to use.
With that said, I very much doubt they'd even be the last game genre anyway. Because...

Actual use in the real world? Try looking up gamification... Even FPS have a use in the real world. America's Army has been around since 2002. Your point is moot.
Games interact more and more directly with the player. With Augmented Reality games like Pokemon Go or VR Games on the rise, the applications in real life are only going to grow.

Even without having actual use outside of entertainment, not sure why other kinds like Visual Novels and RPGs would die first. They heavily centre around narratives, especially Visual Novels, and storytelling has been around long before video games were a thing. Unless you only eradicate entire genres because of a single game, in which case it'd be really up to luck. Even your vocal parents might have things they enjoy in life, and it's probably more likely that those are a form of storytelling than a racing game.

And now creativity. Creativity? Not even sure why this is relevant. Creativity is present in many genres. Simulations, RPGs, Grand Strategy, etc.
People are putting in a lot of time for their creations, be they creations in the vanilla game or even modding stuff. Not sure why making your car look fancy is more creative than people making a gun look fancy. Or a plane. Or a train. Or their RPG character. Or really, anything.
Some People spent a literal ton of time for their creations. That's nothing unique to the racing genre.

If your oh-so-scary vocal parents had the ability to eradicate all games they don't like, then everything would be gone. They'd find a reason. And they aren't some monolithic organisation either, so your Candy Crush would disappear too. The reason doesn't have to make sense, after all, neither do most of the complaints from them.
Heck, there's plenty of research to disprove most of it, so not sure why "the game teaches my kid to drive dangerously!" is not a valid reason. And you think the former-kids-now-adults would worry about the cost of their cars? Never been on the street IRL? People drive like madmen. I've been nearly run over as a pedestrian a few times already and I refuse to drive myself anymore. I had enough of getting jumpscares by idiots thinking they own the world, or the street, in this case. Try looking up how many car accidents there are. If people would drive safely just because the car was expensive, boy, driving would be the safest mode of travel, right? The safest mode of travel are by the way escalators. Time to make an escalator game.

Allow me to be frank, this whole thread gives me the feeling of a very opinionated attempt at glorifying the racing genre. Nothing against the genre, I used to enjoy some racing games myself. Not anymore, since I don't love the genre enough to buy every year a new iteration of game XYZ.
Back to the topic, half the time I don't even know what you want to tell me except that you hate the vocal minority of entitled, angry parents and a few major game franchises.
If that was your goal, good job, I now know it. If not, please explain to me what the point was. Because I don't get it. I see a lot of strong language in regards to other games and that entitled minority and that's about it. Most of the few arguments can be applied to plenty of other genres too.

I think I wrote enough for now. Good day to you.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I love how AlphaRetard's argument is all his opinions.

"This isn't what racing is! It's about 'owning a tool and carving a beautiful limit out of it.'" That's the most out of touch thing in the entire thread, right after the notion that EA is getting rid of microtransactions except for things you..think is okay, I guess?

I mean if you're going to criticize FIFA, what makes you think EA won't release a bunch of racing Formula 1 reboots and their rabid fans flock to them while drowning out the other games?

BenJepheneT

I mean if you're going to criticize FIFA, what makes you think EA won't release a bunch of racing Formula 1 reboots and their rabid fans flock to them while drowning out the other games?
because Fifa is already facing criticism for being the same game every year and F1 is also on the same cross with them. unless thrustmaster starts making changes to F1, people are gonna go to Assorta Corsa or Gran Turismo and use the free car packs as an exchange for having another rehashed engine for 60$

I love how AlphaRetard's argument is all his opinions.

"This isn't what racing is! It's about 'owning a tool and carving a beautiful limit out of it.'" That's the most out of touch thing in the entire thread, right after the notion that EA is getting rid of microtransactions except for things you..think is okay, I guess?
that i cannot argue. sorry bout that. been a while since i can glorify racing games and using this whole thread's been amusing the hell out of me. you can ignore that whole part. i was closing my eyes high on pills as i was typing that whole thing out.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Arguably all the time, but okay. Got any better arguments?

BenJepheneT

I'm not even quite sure what the point of this thread is.
none tbh. i wasn't even sure what i was thinking when i slapped this shit out from google docs

Great, microtransactions aren't there yet. But why not?
thank god for that but with the ongoing strike against the online purchase buttons, the devs might be smart enough not to

If you eradicate all other genres and Racing games are the only ones left, that would mean that the majority of people would shift over to racing games and then you're back to the same practice as before. Milk them dry. And making games more competitive is an easy method to encourage spending money. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.
damn didnt think of that. props to that

Actual use in the real world? Try looking up gamification... Even FPS have a use in the real world. America's Army has been around since 2002. Your point is moot.
Games interact more and more directly with the player. With Augmented Reality games like Pokemon Go or VR Games on the rise, the applications in real life are only going to grow.
can;t argue with that

Even without having actual use outside of entertainment, not sure why other kinds like Visual Novels and RPGs would die first.
i didn't say racing games will be the last man standing. i only said theyll last longer. rpgs and visual novels will live like kings because of how less of an impact they have in the image of gaming itself. they're less of a game and more on storytelling perspectives anyway

Not sure why making your car look fancy is more creative than people making a gun look fancy. Or a plane. Or a train. Or their RPG character. Or really, anything.
as for the creativity part, i only mentioned that the wide array of customization most racing games offer can give little Timmy at least a hint of career prospect, not as totally on high heavens tier of some creativity plane.

but yeah, you make a good point there. nice.

Heck, there's plenty of research to disprove most of it
don't think the karens would listen to research as seen from the hordes of you-know-whats still present on facebook but alright, nicely said and put put. i like that.

Allow me to be frank, this whole thread gives me the feeling of a very opinionated attempt at glorifying the racing genre.
thanks, i was trying to convince myself that and you drove the final nail. this, in fact, IS a very opiniated piece on why the racing genre will last longer if some horde ever try to get rid of gaming. i say longer, not last forever, because i know for sure my points will just get assblasted away like it just did

I think I wrote enough for now. Good day to you.
thanks, you too

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
What. :blob_dizzy:
You can be serious @BenJepheneT !? :whistle:
Did you get a fever?
Is someone impersonating you?
Is this what you're like without being under the influence of something?

BenJepheneT

What. :blob_dizzy:
You can be serious @BenJepheneT !? :whistle:
Did you get a fever?
Is someone impersonating you?
Is this what you're like without being under the influence of something?
No, definitely not sober yet, as you can see from the genuinely Excellent rebuttals made by Axiom and rinne.

LWFlouisa

How do you think JRPGs will fare in the advent of virtual reality though? I asked a VR developer about this I know on Twitter, and he seemed about as puzzled about it as I am.

I mention it as it seems like as we head into a virtual reality future, certain genres will have to change if they're going to survive. Or be largely confined to the bedrooms of some obscure retrogamer.

It's sad as I prefer things like Turn Based Tactical Battle Systems, based on an Active Time meter, with travel based on semi-free roam ( where you can freely roam in narrowly confined space, but can't venture further out, without changing turns. ) Something that's based on the Grandia battle system, but evolved beyond it.

It's one of the reasons I abandoned my game design dream, and switching to building full blown Artificial Intelligence.

Think less Games, and more Sophia The Robot type stuff.