"Why Reader Stop Reading" poll

tak

I made a poll on NUF (SHF older brother) asking the reason reader stop reading. They are... Very passionate...
I thought some might want to take it as input

ars

trash bin
I made a poll on NUF (SHF older brother) asking the reason reader stop reading. They are... Very passionate...
I thought some might want to take it as input
lmao I love some of the options on that poll :blobrofl:

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I read that thread, honestly my take away from it was that people stop reading when they are reading a story that doesn't meet their expectations.

If they expect a story about a fantasy setting to build to a point the hero kills the demon lord, and instead it turns into a scifi thriller your readers are all left going, wtf is this?

If they expect the hero is going to marry the one girl he swears he loves in the first arc, and then he bangs every beautiful as a fairy girl he meets in the next three arcs forgetting about the first woman until some sect leader tries to kill her in the fourth arc, your readers are going to stop reading.

If you repeat the first arc, with a different villain and essentially cut and paste the same fight scene over and over, your readers are going to stop reading because they expect something bigger, better, and more exciting.

The expectations you create in the early parts of your story have to be met in some way to keep your reader engaged.

jmitsitsiyo

If the story is messy, that is enough to stop reading the novel. Slow update also adds the factor.

Llamadragon

A mix between ”dragged out plot” and just plain lack of empathy from the author for the sake of moving the plot.

As an example of the latter is the hardest I’ve ever dropped a novel. A couple of underage girls were gang-raped by orcs for a week. MC frees them, and later that very same night they try to seduce the MC for... reasons. There was barely even any romance in that novel before that, it was just a completely unexpected left-hook bucket of hell nope.

LotusLily

I mean if that's like anything typical of web novels in which things happen just because the author wants it to for no other reason, just the rape is enough grounds for dropping since at this point you can pretty much tell what the author is like.

Shizun

I usually drop novels at the description. If it's clichee or not, though it's tricky, cuz sometimes clichee can be good too, though difficult to achieve. As for farther in the story...., it depends.... if its rinse and repeat... then i will drop it too, or if the main characters personality are way too annoying. Lately my nemesis is world hopping + system