Why so many System Novels?

IcedKafuuChino

I'm wondering why systems are so popular in comparison to "normal" fantasy/isekai.
Not trying to hate on them, some of my biggest inspirations are system-driven novels, but there seem to be just a real lot of them and I can't really explain why.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I'm wondering why systems are so popular in comparison to "normal" fantasy/isekai.
Not trying to hate on them, some of my biggest inspirations are system-driven novels, but there seem to be just a real lot of them and I can't really explain why.
Because the majority of authors in Scribblehub spilled over from RRL. RRL was where system novels got popularized, being the primary source for the translation of The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor that popularized the genre. Before that, most translated novels were Japanese shonen or contemporary fantasy. They even have specialized features for doing the system notification thing there.

With RRL getting more harsh and authoritarian, many authors who couldn't make the cut there migrated here. It will take some time before other type of novels push the system novels out, if that happens at all.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Simple, it's easy.
Some guy could just add number to the 'status' instead of showing the improvement through actions.
Also, they could 'quantify' the ability of a character.
Similar to how cultivation based novel works by realms and stages.
The problem? When the author does it sloppily. It becomes a horrible mess when a person 9999 level lower than the boss just killed it in one shot. I repeat, ONE SHOT.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF POWER SYSTEM IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK IT, TELL IT TO MY FACE AUTHOR

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's a hot, hot, HOT take but it's primarily for inexperienced writers to show growth and character development. Character development goes beyond just "bad to good". It also has to be done along with the theme and the intended message of the story, if there's one. Sometimes terrible character development would end up seeming volatile, and cause major confusion towards the trajectory of the story at large. Like if Eren from AOT decided to forgive the Marleyans despite what Reiner's side of the story shows. It's not simply a vertical progression. Sometimes regression is a good way to display and enhance thematic elements in your story too.

For those that are still novices to these concepts, systems are a literal saviour. It's an objective progression. There's nothing subtle about Lvl. 3 to Lvl. 4. It's a straight shot to the top, and if that's not enough, just read the numbers. It also happens to be very plot-oriented/friendly and easy to understand, with less comprehension needed and thus, more satisfying to read.

Or it's just a fun thing to do and I'm reading too deep into this. Either, it's easy to do, it's easy to understand, it's a flexible story mechanic and it's popular as fuck, since it harkens to many popular genres out there.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
for every demand there is a supply. to be truthful OP systems suck. Litrpg where everyone has the same system and have to gain traits through birth or experience is the best system. Leaves more room for character growth.

Daitengu

Gaming is mainstream now, and systems are a shortcut for expressing power.

Yes, many authors are telling you how strong characters are, instead of showing you. Which is an amature mistake. And most use it to define a character instead of it representing what a character can do.

Like a character got a sword skill, so they can use swords better instead of them training and the numbers representing their skill level. If a crafter can just kill stuff and allocate points to get better at crafting, or if you can kill to get stronger so you can work with materials as a crafter, then the author has failed to understand the whole point of the system in games.

If you've read D&D, WoD, and/or W40k, you'd know none of the published authors reveal the system behind the curtain for power scaling.

On the other hand, I'm fine with it if it's an actual game based story, or some God uses system like messages to mess with an isekai protag.

Spica66

Simple, it's easy.
Some guy could just add number to the 'status' instead of showing the improvement through actions.
The problem? When the author does it sloppily. It becomes a horrible mess when a person 9999 level lower than the boss just killed it in one shot. I repeat, ONE SHOT.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF POWER SYSTEM IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK IT, TELL IT TO MY FACE AUTHOR
It's easy for both author and protagonist, god damn too easy. Protagonist has easy time to know if their training improvement.

I personally I dislike overused system theme outside game genre, unless the author nails it.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Simple, it's easy.

I honestly don't get the point of these novels. Why do I want to watch numbers tick up? Why not just play a game?

You read books because you want a story, not a spreadsheet.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Simple, it's easy.

Can "author" actually see your face...?

LotsChrono

It's simply another 'genre' of power fantasy. This one more so focused on easy to see progression.

Necariin

Number go up. Serotonin go up.
Big number good.

In my professional opinion.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Number go up. Serotonin go up.
Big number good.

In my professional opinion.
Big number go up. Me feel nothing. Me feel no impactful growth when no big change in character happen

D

Deleted member 20302

I honestly don't get the point of these novels. Why do I want to watch numbers tick up? Why not just play a game?

You read books because you want a story, not a spreadsheet.

I agree with this. Also, my main pet peeves are that I also have a harder time imagining how powerful a character is through LitRPG. Somehow, the other way to tell development is better for me to know how strong a character is.

I think it's because we can compare how strong a character is based on their previous fights and there's only so many opponents they can face. Rather than some quantity where it's very arbitrary. (A Level 1 in one story can be something different than a Level 1 in another)
Simple, it's easy.

That's why at least in non-LitRPG stories if the author does this, I find it more acceptable for it to happen.
Since I will say, "Ahh... so this character is this powerful" instead of your reaction where the numbers don't match.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
With RRL getting more harsh and authoritarian, many authors who couldn't make the cut there migrated here. It will take some time before other type of novels push the system novels out, if that happens at all.
Argh, yeah, no lie here - I actually joined SH instead of RRL because it's a scary place for beginners, lol!

But you're definitely right with your take that the general culture will shift in favour of other types of novels as time progresses. Popular novels are pretty much popular for a while before the trend changes again. It's really based on the readers' tastes - their upvotes and recommendations shape these things and help bump them up to the Trending div. When authors migrated here, they probably brought their reader base along with them, colouring the culture here a little by getting system novels a large bump in preference.

That said, I remember Tony mentioning somewhere that he'd really appreciate it if we promoted the site to others in our social media. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine that if people who were writing certain types of novels are doing it, it also attracts a certain reader base to the site.