Why so many System Novels?

D

Deleted member 45782

That said, I remember Tony mentioning somewhere that he'd really appreciate it if we promoted the site to others in our social media. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine that if people who were writing certain types of novels are doing it, it also attracts a certain reader base to the site.
Huh...Will keep that in mind. but did talk about SH in my writing club and a friend.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
I mean, it's not a rocket science. People like it cause they can read it on the go or when they're taking a number 2, and it exist cause there is a clear audience for it >.> Not everyone wants to read the next Harry Potter or invest their spare time trying to familiarize themselves with a clusterfuck of lore known as Fate.

ForestDweller

I tried writing a System isekai before. I just got bored by the numbers since they're practically meaningless. Keeping tracks of all the skills get too much for me too.

Though if I ever write an intentionally game-like fantasy world, that would become a necessity, I imagine. Game-like fantasy world encourages the protagonist to be able to get away with all sorts of shenanigans since they're all just NPCs after all.

Necariin

Big number go up. Me feel nothing. Me feel no impactful growth when no big change in character happen
Oh definitely. The allure of gamelit/litRPG is in the numbers mostly. Clear progression. In many hands that ends up with shallow character work, poor plots that lean on quests, and using the genre tropes as a crutch. This is...I mean, that's the same in any genre. Inexperienced authors will always lean harder on tropes than necessary. The tropes in genre fiction, however, are usually the draw for many.

I'm wondering why systems are so popular in comparison to "normal" fantasy/isekai.
Not trying to hate on them, some of my biggest inspirations are system-driven novels, but there seem to be just a real lot of them and I can't really explain why.
Other than the migration from RR or other sites, I attribute the rise of system novels/litrpg as a desire for more clear progression. When I first read these sorts of stories, I thought the idea of personal improvement through a visualized stat sheet as immensely fascinating. I think that's the same for many. When it's coupled with a good story it's can be a great read.

Necariin

I tried writing a System isekai before. I just got bored by the numbers since they're practically meaningless. Keeping tracks of all the skills get too much for me too.

Though if I ever write an intentionally game-like fantasy world, that would become a necessity, I imagine. Game-like fantasy world encourages the protagonist to be able to get away with all sorts of shenanigans since they're all just NPCs after all.
Keeping track of numbers and skill levels and all the other minutiae can be tiring lol.
I have an excel sheet for all that, but maintaining it chapter to chapter is rough sometimes. Unless you love excel/number crunching I'd advise any foray into gamelit/litrpg be done with a simple system and keep a lot of the numbers in the background.

In the start of my story I was including damage numbers (i.e. you did 12 slashing damage!) but dropped that fast because 1) it had no real bearing on the story and 2) it offered nothing except more complexity for me to keep track of, as I could mention injuries and health damage in other ways.

If you're writing a VRMMO story, where the characters are playing an actual video game, you've got a little less leeway than if you're doing a portal fantasy/isekai or reincarnation story.

D

Deleted member 49654

Keeping track of numbers and skill levels and all the other minutiae can be tiring lol.
I have an excel sheet for all that, but maintaining it chapter to chapter is rough sometimes. Unless you love excel/number crunching I'd advise any foray into gamelit/litrpg be done with a simple system and keep a lot of the numbers in the background.

In the start of my story I was including damage numbers (i.e. you did 12 slashing damage!) but dropped that fast because 1) it had no real bearing on the story and 2) it offered nothing except more complexity for me to keep track of, as I could mention injuries and health damage in other ways.

If you're writing a VRMMO story, where the characters are playing an actual video game, you've got a little less leeway than if you're doing a portal fantasy/isekai or reincarnation story.
Yeah, I am writing a system fantasy story, and I don't have many numbers in it. It isn't a game setting, and the system has more of a support and information function than anything else. Even the skill levels are numberless such as basic, medium, and advanced. But still, keeping track of the skill names and effects is a pain in the ass. :blob_hide:

Necariin

Yeah, I am writing a system fantasy story, and I don't have many numbers in it. It isn't a game setting, and the system has more of a support and information function than anything else. Even the skill levels are numberless such as basic, medium, and advanced. But still, keeping track of the skill names and effects is a pain in the ass. :blob_hide:
Yeah any sort of systemic progression needs you to keep a running count/tabs on stuff like that. It's tiring for sure. I do love the genre though, so it is what it is.

D

Deleted member 49654

Yeah any sort of systemic progression needs you to keep a running count/tabs on stuff like that. It's tiring for sure. I do love the genre though, so it is what it is.
True, if someone doesn't like reading/writing such novels, they are free to go for what strikes their fancy. We have a saying in my native language (I am not sure if there is, and what is the English equivalent.) - There are passengers for every train. :blob_evil_two: