Why? What makes you want to write? What is your "Writer's Creed"?

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
Games, music, television
All these things cloud my vision
My mind is filled with morsels of stories
But I think this is my best way to flee

Manga, anime, novels
Only a few are novel
Without purpose on my life
This is a way to get rid of some strife

Books, sleep, food
These are of which I feed
Boredom consumes me
From the time I see to un-see

Day, night, tommorow
I don't have any care of tommorow
Drifting through the world
Not making a sound

This, wrong, come
Orders that I've come to know
I have lots of freedom in reality
But I feel trapped whenever I'm not in dreams

On, and on, and on
There's so much I want to say
The words keep piling offscreen
But in real life I don't even to scream

Dark, dark, deeper
I whisper to death
For I want to feel an embrace
Showered in yet I'm dry

Scribbler

I've been struggling with this for a bit. At first, I wanted to see if I could write. And surprise, surprise, anyone can.

So then I thought to myself why; why should I write? I thought I wanted to make people happy. I still do. But people will often read what they're comfortable with, they'll stick to what they know, they may judge my premise or style as unworthy simply because it is not to their taste. Even if I became a great writer, that could only be in my eyes, and not to anyone else. That was another reason, to be great. So the chances of me making other people happy or becoming great are minuscule...

Then perhaps I should write for the sake of writing. But that's insane. It's like a person saying I've been walking for 48 hours for the sake of it. Wouldn't that sound insane to you? Writing to improve on your writing can be a reason, but it's not a very sensible one.

So why! Why do I write! Why should I write! I don't understand! I climbed the hill and realized I could. I see a mountain in the distance, a tall vastness that is incomparable to anything else. But why climb it! I've read most other's reasons, reasons that seem incomprehensibly pedestrian. For the fun of it!? Because another story pissed me off!? All of them sound like, "just because"! I'm starting to think no one else has a reason either!

Well then... how am I supposed to do it!? I can't understand doing something for no reason! It's incomprehensible! Everything happens for a reason! Logic and order to everything!

I can't do anything seriously if I don't have a reason. The reason used to be to see if I could. Well, I have seen that I could. So what now?

Should I do it for my readers, to end the story I began? I suppose that'll be enough for now.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
I write for three reasons, in decreasing order of importance.

I write the stories that I wished I had read when I was a teen. The ones that’d have helped me figure myself out sooner.

I want those stories to help future eggs figure themselves out faster than I did. I use my past experience and confusion and put it into words, hopefully to help those going through the same thing understand those feelings.

And, the most unlikely of the three, hopefully I get to make a living out of writing. Even something really modest. I just have a blend of neurodisabilities that prevent me to thrive in a “standard” job to the point I can’t hold one down, and I’d kill my brain at the task if I tried. So I have no choice but to find money to live off of in a way that still lets me thrive, and right now, that means writing.
Might have to open commissions. Might need to keep an eye out for job openings. But that’s compromises I can deal with.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I've been struggling with this for a bit. At first, I wanted to see if I could write. And surprise, surprise, anyone can.

So then I thought to myself why; why should I write? I thought I wanted to make people happy. I still do. But people will often read what they're comfortable with, they'll stick to what they know, they may judge my premise or style as unworthy simply because it is not to their taste. Even if I became a great writer, that could only be in my eyes, and not to anyone else. That was another reason, to be great. So the chances of me making other people happy or becoming great are minuscule...

Then perhaps I should write for the sake of writing. But that's insane. It's like a person saying I've been walking for 48 hours for the sake of it. Wouldn't that sound insane to you? Writing to improve on your writing can be a reason, but it's not a very sensible one.

So why! Why do I write! Why should I write! I don't understand! I climbed the hill and realized I could. I see a mountain in the distance, a tall vastness that is incomparable to anything else. But why climb it! I've read most other's reasons, reasons that seem incomprehensibly pedestrian. For the fun of it!? Because another story pissed me off!? All of them sound like, "just because"! I'm starting to think no one else has a reason either!

Well then... how am I supposed to do it!? I can't understand doing something for no reason! It's incomprehensible! Everything happens for a reason! Logic and order to everything!

I can't do anything seriously if I don't have a reason. The reason used to be to see if I could. Well, I have seen that I could. So what now?

Should I do it for my readers, to end the story I began? I suppose that'll be enough for now.
Ah, I think you're overthinking it tbh... Like... Why do you play games? Or why do you read books? Is there really a reason you do those things?

For most people it would be stuff like... "Because it's fun." or "Because I like it" or "To pass time". There is no big reason, they just do it because they want to do it.

Writing is the same, people do it because they want to do it~
I write for three reasons, in decreasing order of importance.

I write the stories that I wished I had read when I was a teen. The ones that’d have helped me figure myself out sooner.

I want those stories to help future eggs figure themselves out faster than I did. I use my past experience and confusion and put it into words, hopefully to help those going through the same thing understand those feelings.

And, the most unlikely of the three, hopefully I get to make a living out of writing. Even something really modest. I just have a blend of neurodisabilities that prevent me to thrive in a “standard” job to the point I can’t hold one down, and I’d kill my brain at the task if I tried. So I have no choice but to find money to live off of in a way that still lets me thrive, and right now, that means writing.
Might have to open commissions. Might need to keep an eye out for job openings. But that’s compromises I can deal with.
*hugs* I hope things work out well for you! Seems pretty tough, but ganbatte!! >.<

Scribbler

Ah, I think you're overthinking it tbh... Like... Why do you play games? Or why do you read books? Is there really a reason you do those things?

For most people it would be stuff like... "Because it's fun." or "Because I like it" or "To pass time". There is no big reason, they just do it because they want to do it.

Writing is the same, people do it because they want to do it~

*hugs* I hope things work out well for you! Seems pretty tough, but ganbatte!! >.<
The key difference for me is video games and reading doesn't exhaust me, they do they exact opposite. It takes effort to write.

honeymilkwrites

I write because I can't escape from fiction. I finish reading a story and can't get out of my head ideas to riff on it. "What if he's not a gambler, but an alcoholic? What if the world is less dark and full of horror and crime and the story focuses on the political and economic implications of people coming from another world?"
And then the ideas keep popping out, and the story, world, and characters take on a more and more different shape from the story I read that I can no longer describe it as just me putting a spin on someone else's idea, but instead simply being inspired by it.
That inspiration is hard to ignore. It fills me with excitement that gets me up early in the morning with a vivid image of a scene. It makes me want to open Word, Wordpad, or Google Docs--or hell, even Notepad if that's all I've got--and just write and write until my fingers stop smashing my keyboard. Before I know it, there's an outline of the setting, the plot, and the characters, and I even have my first chapter.
From there, it's all momentum. I can't stop.

Last edited:

SillyIslandBum

I think I write what I want to read. It just started out as a series of scenes I thought would be funny or interesting, so I just wrote some of them down. Then one day I decided to connect the scenes and turn it into a story. I’m not sure how well I’m doing as I work a lot and have little time to write/edit, but I thought since I’m creating it, I might as well share. I don’t have a lot of readers, but at least there are a few people who appear to enjoy it, which is pretty cool.

Elim

I write because I have been inspired from the many novel works I have read. Mainly the novels I have found on the novel updates site. I wanted to make my own story with all of those tropes and cliches and create a world of which the majority would enjoy (I'm part of that majority). I really enjoy the slice of life, comedy, harem/romance of the classic Japanese Issekai and highschool junk. There is also classic arrogant young masters and stupid comedy involved in Chinese fantasy novels. Honestly, there are many things that have inspired me to write and not just from novel format.

Another important factor is I always enjoyed entertaining people. By writing my story, I want people who read it to smile and laugh. But even that is not enough. I want them to experience a wide range of emotions whether they are negative or positive to make them experience the world I have created. I hope that in the end, they would be left with satisfaction.

Pmuno2abc

It was originally a way to deal with my shit mental health but after a while I found it fun to make my own little words and spread them around.

Now it's just a hobby I really enjoy and am dedicated to though I usually got fuck all time

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
I want to be someone, I want to achieve something. It's something I enjoy, but I want to achieve. I just want to prove myself in a way, I suppose... No idea what I am trying to prove, or who am I seeking validation from at this point.

I just want to do it, some part in me tells me it's never enough--that I will never be good enough. For anything, for I am trash.

It's a thought that's been fed to me my entire life, and honestly, it just becomes a lifestyle. I am in denial and want to be someone, for my sake, for the sake of proving those people wrong. I guess... that would be, it? I genuinely love writing, but there is also a selfish reason to want to write. It would be a blatant lie to say, I do it for pleasure only.

I suppose I wanted to share. I plan on getting a psychiatrist soon enough. "I wonder how much you can break?" -- Someone I don't remember
The answer is, it's limitless but it depends on how much of a husk you want to become. Life can be riddled with depression and insecurity, but it's up to us to make a difference for ourselves. Although I am sure I just sound edgy.

Ram5

Some people write for the same reasons, some people don't.

What are yours?

Share them here if you like.

Is it for money? For fame or glory? To be immortalized in the annual of history?
Is it for Joy? For pleasure of the craft? or maybe the carvings of good decent pros?
Or is it to savor a fantasy of your making? Is it for a moment's escape from this world?
Is it for catharsis to cauterize a wound in your heart?
Is it to change the world? Make others see what worlds could be rather than what we see?
Or that infectious emotion to share and to inspire others?
No? Is it to shower the world in a truth, a true dark shade of a world you see?

What I yearn~ for is that single narrative moment, where threads of story are grown and cultivated until it blooms into a single crescendo.
That satisfaction, that narrative perfection of 'making sense" is what I run towards.

Not that I have succeeded,mind you.

But polishing my craft and working towards that moment in a story is what i strive for.

so, yes in a way I don't need to publish my stories, and for a long time I haven't, I wrote and wrote for myself, and my friends when they asked.

But now I am looking at a long web novel format, the reason being I want something that could at least glimpse some semblance of how traditional epics worked.

That Journey feeling, I want that.

For that I need endurance, and publishing it somewhere ensure some accountability to keep moving forward.

And then @Tony happened, coincidentally on the few days after I started putting my notes together Tony brought the hub to nuf,

so, joining the first of Jan 2019, I post no where but here.

Share and share alike
Mostly because I have an idea in mind and turned it into a physical form gave a sense of satisfaction, posted it online so people would also get the taste it, whether they satisfied or throw up, that's the matter of taste.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
I write primarily to make people enjoy themselves and share the stories in my head with like minded people. Money and fame are kind of secondary for my goals
Check out my series:
Demonic affinity

Last edited:

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
I like to make content that resonates with people. Something that they would enjoy. Maybe it is for some sort of self-serving goal or to boost my own ego, but it helps keep me motivated. Even for a little bit. Makes me happy that there are people who genuinely enjoy my work. So that helps too. All in all, I do it because it is fun and it's great feeling that others have as much as fun reading the story as I have creating it.