Why? What makes you want to write? What is your "Writer's Creed"?

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I write to help people, if my ideas and concepts help them improve their lives that's fantastic. And if I could make a living of it that would be amazing, a dream come true.

Vaerama

Is it for money? For fame or glory? To be immortalized in the annual of history?
Is it for Joy? For pleasure of the craft?
I mean, money’s nice and all, but I’d probably be working on other types of projects if money was the sole guiding principal. As it is, it’s somewhere in the ‘yeah, I’d like it to be commercial and to make a ‘living wage’ writing’, and I really don’t give two twitches about fame beyond knowing that anybody else is enjoying what I’m doing.

I’m having fun doing something in a way that is fun to write :)

Is it for catharsis to cauterize a wound in your heart?

Well, I shouldn’t really answer yes to that, cuz I haven’t recently been immolated or engaged in cannibalism. XD

But that doesn’t change that when I’m writing: I’m inherently putting a little of myself on the page. A little of myself had a lot of anxieties years ago and I was endlessly told by way too many people that I was insane/schizoid/etc.

It was an overwhelming psychological experience by the end, and that’s not at all a healthy state of mind to be in. When I’m writing from the perspective of ‘Mira’: I’m absolutely pulling from that experience, and I actually do rather find it cathartic :)

Is it to shower the world in a truth, a true dark shade of a world you see?

The philosophical tag isn’t an accident, that's for sure xD But that’s mostly because I like the combination of psychological and philosophical when a person is pushed to the edge. Nihilism becomes almost necessary after a certain point of stress upon the human psyche.

HJ

A little background for my stories...

I'm here to bump this thread because I find it useful and interesting. There were couple of times when I hit a slump during the writing process. Recently, I learned that writing my goals for the story helps me keep track of what direction I want to be in.

My first story remains unfinished until now and that was 3 to 4 years ago. Back then I felt that I was done reading. I've had thousands of fiction stories that I read and at that time, I felt like there wasn't anything out there anymore. So, I decided to write my first story.

Moving on to a few months later, I started the second story. The concept grew out on me and I resonated with how the characters felt. I guess my goal for that book was to share how the characters were able to get passed that dark moment in their lives.

The third story was my response to my frustration on the books I read. I found that there were various books that have a title which implied that the main characters were doting. But when I read the story, I felt so betrayed. :blob_teary: So, there I wrote the third book filled with fluff to cure my bleeding heart. :blob_okay:

Many years passed since I started writing fiction seriously. Back then I only wrote for myself and for my characters who felt like real people having their own thoughts and opinions. I was a master procrastinator. I hit another long slump on my second book. Only recently did I get the drive to write their stories. As a reader, I didn't like endings. This caused me to struggle as a writer. It took a lot of time before I accepted that I had to let them go, let them live the rest of their lives out of the public's eyes. That was when I picked up the story once again. Now, I'm a couple of chapters left before the final chapter.

That second story of mine was unlike the popular genres. Thus, it was understandable that it had a few readers. But just as I thought that it wasn't interesting, I saw the handful readers who had read the book since it's first publication come back three years later and say they enjoyed the story; that they kept it in their libraries; that they waited and were still waiting for updates. How could I not be happy and feel overwhelmed with those kinds of response? :blob_teary: So, I messaged them all and promised that I will continue writing the story till the end.

The theme for that book was hope and acceptance.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Somehow, I never answered this thread, so let's fix that mistake.

I started writing because one day I just thought "I'm such a weirdo developing stories in my head during my free time, why not start writing them down before I start forgetting what I came up with? I'll be able to save them forever that way, and perhaps some random people will find them nice."

And here we are, where I have a lot of fkn fun writing all the stuff and also fangirling over the fact that so many people enjoy my work. And it's quite weird because that 2-year-old story from my head which was supposed to be written down has stopped at 1st chapter, while I got a flash of inspiration for the BIAW series :blob_joy:

So yeah, I'm writing because it feels nice to just sit down and make your memories permanent. That 2-year-old-action-adventure-fantasy one will arrive at some point when I have a healthy amount of chapters ahead for BIAW. I wish I could slow down time when I write so I can write a lot more than I do now.

Who knows, if the gods of fate allow, I might start writing full-time someday. But that's nothing more than a pipe dream currently. I'm happy that someone actually enjoys my writing already. I want to give my readers a lot of content.

Leti

The answer to the question what makes me want to write can be described in under one sentence: Because I can.

Perhaps I'm simply bored of being a reader or something along the line that drove me to the point of no return. Boredom is a great incentive to try new things, but who knows?

As a reader, I would often feel disappointed when a story suddenly stops without no hope of continuing and as a result, I only publish completed stories. I cared not for fame or glory. In the end, it's just statistics.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Even if I didn't post my works online I'd still write. I need something to distract myself from the chaos known as this world. :blobthumbsup:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Personally, I don't know if it's a writer's creed and whatnot but I just find the concept of being able to create an entirely new world from the ground up to be a beautiful thing. To be able to give life and create a reality that has never been seen before is such a gift that I can understand why psychologically, writers have higher chances of developing extreme depression or anxiety. Because as writers, we hold the keys to a new "big bang" that will go on to create even more universes in some unknown realm or cosmos. We are creators. We make life. We are not gods, but they say the beings we call gods created us right?

So whose to say we all aren't some written page in a deities fictional creation? And by our writing, we are perpetuating the same cycle of birth and creation. Perhaps in some unknown galaxy, we are being worshipped by beings we unknowingly create each time we write.

I forget where I read it, but there was a philosopher who believe that writers didn't create anything that was new. He believed that every story written, EVERY ONE OF THEM, was just a writer tapping into a world and its events that had already happened somewhere out there in the universe. Perhaps another galaxy, or perhaps an alternate reality of our own world. But anyway...he believed writers were somehow psychic individuals, or perhaps seers, who were capable of bearing witness to the history of some other realm, planet, etc. and us writing stories was more akin to historical documents and autobiographies than pure fiction.

I find that theory fascinating and for some of the stories I've read....disturbing. Thaaaaaaat or I have a god complex and am planning to dominate you all and then indoctrinate you into my cult of worship.

Bow peons!!!!

Sorry for the droning response.

Last edited:

Necariin

I just really, really like it. Crafting fantasy worlds has been something I've done since I was eight (with maps and drawings and little character ideas), so it was only natural that I'd start putting those worlds into stories.
Writing: it's hard, but fun as hell.

FADEX

I enjoy writing, and I always write for myself. I get a handful of new story ideas everyday but to get things done, I limit myself to one until it's finished (still, I get distracted enough that I've only managed to complete one book). I just love creating something that is uniquely mine. When other people talk about their hobbies, I'm proud to say that writing is my hobby because it is. It is both my stress relief and my entertainment. My characters are my friends, the world they live in exists in my imagination, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's also something about being able to weave a universe's existence out of words, something almost godlike :')

mossplains

Some people write for the same reasons, some people don't.

What are yours?

Share them here if you like.

Is it for money? For fame or glory? To be immortalized in the annual of history?
Is it for Joy? For pleasure of the craft? or maybe the carvings of good decent pros?
Or is it to savor a fantasy of your making? Is it for a moment's escape from this world?
Is it for catharsis to cauterize a wound in your heart?
Is it to change the world? Make others see what worlds could be rather than what we see?
Or that infectious emotion to share and to inspire others?
No? Is it to shower the world in a truth, a true dark shade of a world you see?

What I yearn~ for is that single narrative moment, where threads of story are grown and cultivated until it blooms into a single crescendo.
That satisfaction, that narrative perfection of 'making sense" is what I run towards.

Not that I have succeeded,mind you.

But polishing my craft and working towards that moment in a story is what i strive for.

so, yes in a way I don't need to publish my stories, and for a long time I haven't, I wrote and wrote for myself, and my friends when they asked.

But now I am looking at a long web novel format, the reason being I want something that could at least glimpse some semblance of how traditional epics worked.

That Journey feeling, I want that.

For that I need endurance, and publishing it somewhere ensure some accountability to keep moving forward.

And then @Tony happened, coincidentally on the few days after I started putting my notes together Tony brought the hub to nuf,

so, joining the first of Jan 2019, I post no where but here.

Share and share alike
For a long time I have wanted to write stuff that fills in holes in what's out there. Things other people don't think about or don't care to do. Part of it is being contrarian. Part of it is missing things that just don't exist yet. Finally over the past week I tried writing my first short story and published it here yesterday. It's not what I imagined I would write about for my first story, and I don't know if it's good or garbage, but it was good to finally get something done.

AbigailWP

Producer-Rapper-Writer-Cultivator-Fellow Human
Mine is pretty basic compared to everyone else,,, i just write what i wanna read...

Joshimitsu

I've always been a creative person and always have stories floating around in my head. I write them to get the ideas down and to turn it into something that I would like to read.