Why? What makes you want to write? What is your "Writer's Creed"?

Hoshiandme

I write for many reasons. Some you have already stated and some you have not. Though, to summarize my answer in a coherent way. Cough. I suppose I write for the joy of it. To see new possibilities and scenarios that could never happen in real life is amazing. And to know I have a hand in making it gives me a bit of a thrilling feeling. I suppose it’s called god complex? I’ve heard most writers feel as such when writing.
It’s a bit thrilling and exciting when you think to yourself and realize that you are making and allowing such things to happen.
Another reason I write is for fun and to live out the dreams I never could in real life.
Each of my works contain a little bit of me inside of it, and it’s like I’m writing about myself, or maybe a possibility of what I could be or want to be. I’m loving my life through my characters and stories.
Another reason for me to love writing is because I’ve spent so many years as a reader. And over time, I’ve been able to become a better reader and can pinpoint different authors and writing styles and see which ones are good or not. And now that I’m older, I can finally say to myself. “I can do this better. I can write this scene better.” Though it may sound arrogant, it’s just a confidence I’ve grown over reading so many different things over the years. And I finally want to prove to myself that I can possibly do those things better.
One more reason for why I write is because I would love to give another person some happiness. That person being the characters I write about. I want to give them a life that is worth living and when it all comes to an end. They can think to themself, “I’ve lived a life.” And by extension myself.

And I honestly love writing. And since my writing has a piece of myself in it. I may sound cocky or selfish, but I just well, want to share a bit of myself too.
I’ve always thought I’ve been a pretty interesting person, so let’s see what others think. And most of all, to have fun with it!
Cough. Also, money is pretty good~ though I haven’t gotten that far yet.

Vanny

I like techniques and fluidlity. In fighting, sports, or writing. I won't say I enjoy writing, what I enjoy is practicing anything I can. I write because I don't like a lot of stories, and I like reading my own.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
I write to record the world in my head and share it
My mind tends to wander a lot and imagine a bunch of weird things, i used to just record them in a note book i had thinking this might come in handy one day. Whenever I told my friends about them they would laugh, sometimes cry but most of the time seem somewhat worried about my mental health but that's beside the point
Anyways, since my friends enjoyed it I thought might as well share it to others too

D

Deleted member 3803

I write because i'm tired of reading.

Because i keep seeing the same stuff rehashed over and over.

Because, it seems, no one wants to step away from what's normal and write something different.

So, that's what i do. Helping other authors along the way is a bonus I enjoy.

OddJamm

~Sweet Preservatives~
Hmm. I guess it was because I loved reading and just kept on reading and reading until I basically read a large piece of the internet already. Even before I started writing I would love to imagine different funny scenarios in my life or of a character that didn't exist then my imagination and impulse took me here as an author. I can't say writing for money never crossed my mind though :blob_cookie: Edit: It was also because I wanted to tell a story the way I wanted it to be done. Like sometimes the unnecessary dramas of the novels get to me :blob_pout:

AuthorSME

Some people write for the same reasons, some people don't.

What are yours?

Share them here if you like.

Is it for money? For fame or glory? To be immortalized in the annual of history?
Is it for Joy? For pleasure of the craft? or maybe the carvings of good decent pros?
Or is it to savor a fantasy of your making? Is it for a moment's escape from this world?
Is it for catharsis to cauterize a wound in your heart?
Is it to change the world? Make others see what worlds could be rather than what we see?
Or that infectious emotion to share and to inspire others?
No? Is it to shower the world in a truth, a true dark shade of a world you see?

What I yearn~ for is that single narrative moment, where threads of story are grown and cultivated until it blooms into a single crescendo.
That satisfaction, that narrative perfection of 'making sense" is what I run towards.

Not that I have succeeded,mind you.

But polishing my craft and working towards that moment in a story is what i strive for.

so, yes in a way I don't need to publish my stories, and for a long time I haven't, I wrote and wrote for myself, and my friends when they asked.

But now I am looking at a long web novel format, the reason being I want something that could at least glimpse some semblance of how traditional epics worked.

That Journey feeling, I want that.

For that I need endurance, and publishing it somewhere ensure some accountability to keep moving forward.

And then @Tony happened, coincidentally on the few days after I started putting my notes together Tony brought the hub to nuf,

so, joining the first of Jan 2019, I post no where but here.

Share and share alike

For me, it's in part to exercise my own mental faculties; I use writing as an excuse to study. I must understand something when I'm writing something to give it justice. It's also a form of expressing what I've learned; with the addition of the adventure of being the first to travel an unknown land. Authors are the pioneers that drop into a world, discover its mysteries, dive into its dark depths and discover the hidden treasures therein. We are a member of the party as the darkness awakens around us and we must determine how best to lead our group in this hostile world. My style of writing is less fate driven and more environment driven; instead of me imposing this grand scheme on the world, I am discovering the cause and effect that produces my character's lives. I set up the beginning stage and let the story breath.

The song Fading Light by Aviators is coming to mind. Play that song and imagine the world, not characters; your characters will come as you drop into the world ... first plot out the unforgiving landscape that will meet your hero/villain.

compass96

I write because I like reading. There are a lot of times I read something and all I can think is "Really, that's what you went with? I bet I could write something better than that". So I guess pride is one of the reasons. Also, I do want to be immortalised in the annals of history. I want people all around the world to remember my name for generations to come. Also, another thing is that I'm very lazy. I want to earn money from my home without working but I don't want to be anyone's housewife so writing is for me the best way to get all of that.

Frankly, I just love that feeling of creating my world, of having my chracters speak to me, of that moment where the plot is shining clear in my head and I have to create and adjust the characters. I like the feeling of filtering myself into a million different people and of wondering if my character would act in certain ways in certain situations. For me, writing is the closest humans can get becoming a god.

Arexio

Coffee Addict

Some people write for the same reasons, some people don't.

What are yours?

Share them here if you like.

Is it for money? For fame or glory? To be immortalized in the annual of history?
Is it for Joy? For pleasure of the craft? or maybe the carvings of good decent pros?
Or is it to savor a fantasy of your making? Is it for a moment's escape from this world?
Is it for catharsis to cauterize a wound in your heart?
Is it to change the world? Make others see what worlds could be rather than what we see?
Or that infectious emotion to share and to inspire others?
No? Is it to shower the world in a truth, a true dark shade of a world you see?

What I yearn~ for is that single narrative moment, where threads of story are grown and cultivated until it blooms into a single crescendo.
That satisfaction, that narrative perfection of 'making sense" is what I run towards.

Not that I have succeeded,mind you.

But polishing my craft and working towards that moment in a story is what i strive for.

so, yes in a way I don't need to publish my stories, and for a long time I haven't, I wrote and wrote for myself, and my friends when they asked.

But now I am looking at a long web novel format, the reason being I want something that could at least glimpse some semblance of how traditional epics worked.

That Journey feeling, I want that.

For that I need endurance, and publishing it somewhere ensure some accountability to keep moving forward.

And then @Tony happened, coincidentally on the few days after I started putting my notes together Tony brought the hub to nuf,

so, joining the first of Jan 2019, I post no where but here.

Share and share alike
Escapism.

To distract myself from IRL sh*t I've got going on. It's much better than using some other destructive behaviors out there for coping - trust me, I know.

Reading allows me to do the same albeit on a more passive level.

Mack_Frantz

I write because it's from the few things in life that give me joy and happiness. Most of the times, you will hate your job. But it's hobbies that'll make you envy every second you're away from them.

I started writing for fun. Just me and my friend, we had nothing else to do and though "hey, why not". And so it began. And now, 2 and a half years later, we're finally ready to upload its whole. The entirety of our universe is about to be known. Some people will like it, some people won't. It is how it is. I know me and my friend like it. No, false. We love it. No professionals or anything. But I have a dream that it is going to write "history" all over the world.

So why did I do it? Simple question is..."Why not".

PrincEcnirP

The best things I can do is to work for God. To write for Him. For his glory.

To share others the victory that Christ Jesus has won for me to Himself, to share the praising of Him to others,
So that, even a person or two might be inspired- not because of me, but Him.

Last edited:

queenofthefuzzybugs

I write what I want to read.

Sometimes it comes from a good place, where I think up a neat idea and want to see where it goes. Writing makes those ideas concrete, and then I can build on them, and expand on the initial idea. Eventually I'll get to the end, which gives me a sense of creative closure. (Like finishing a piece of art.)

Sometimes it comes from a bad place, where I read something so horribly frustrating I think, "Why is this popular? It's so awful! Even I could write better!" Then I sit down and write something similar but better (hopefully). When I've finished writing whatever it is, I feel a great sense of relief. (Like fixing a leaky pipe that's been going drip-drip-drip.)

I post my stories because I hope they'll scratch another person's itch, the way a good story does for me.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
To pour out all these thoughts in my head.
I started reading my classmates handwritten stories to paperback novels then our English teacher urged us to make a short story. I got tickles all of a sudden hahaha... weird right? I wanted a story, I wanted to write it so I did. The feeling of pen on paper is very very soothing. Problem is my grammar, then my sister gave me a laptop. I switched mainly because it has spelling and grammar correction. I got addicted. I couldn't stop. Crap, I probably need help.

Scribbler

It used to be to make people happy. But now it's to get better at writing. There's no way I can make people happy with the level my writing is at.

Last edited:

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
It used to be to make people happy. But now it's to get better at writing. There's no way I can make people with the level my writing is at.
perhaps making someone happy it bitting off to much, or to nig a thing...
for me anyway...
my current goal is make people love something.. that way if I treat that something well, people will be happy...
or do something terrible to it to really ruin people's day.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
For me it's honestly pretty straight-forward... I like writing and I want to make a living out of it.

Like... That's basically it. It's my dream job to be a writer, so I am working towards achieving it. No big goals aside from making a living tbh.

Of course I write stuff I want to read and that I feel happy about how it is developing... But at the end of the day, what I really want out of writing is a profession.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I never haven't written and I don't think I can stop.

Once upon a time, I was thought to be a stupid child and my teachers ignored me. Being asked to write a creative story was the first thing I ever enjoyed in school and the first thing I was ever given praise for.
Not long after I wrote that story, it was discovered that I just had really terrible teachers. I was given a little extra help and turned straight into a straight A student.
But I don't think any of the praise I received for that ever meant as much to me as that story. Because I had achieved it all by myself, without help, just because I Ioved it and wanted to, it felt a little like destiny. Maths and science were all very fun, but writing was "mine", like a soulmate.

I've been writing ever since. Even if I don't put pen to paper, I'll be writing a story in my head, creating my own complicated headcanon for video games I'm playing, matching stories to songs...
Even if I tried to stop, it'd just end up filling up my head and burst out somehow.

Honestly, I can't imagine being alive and not writing.

Scribbler

I never haven't written and I don't think I can stop.

Once upon a time, I was thought to be a stupid child and my teachers ignored me. Being asked to write a creative story was the first thing I ever enjoyed in school and the first thing I was ever given praise for.
Not long after I wrote that story, it was discovered that I just had really terrible teachers. I was given a little extra help and turned straight into a straight A student.
But I don't think any of the praise I received for that ever meant as much to me as that story. Because I had achieved it all by myself, without help, just because I Ioved it and wanted to, it felt a little like destiny. Maths and science were all very fun, but writing was "mine", like a soulmate.

I've been writing ever since. Even if I don't put pen to paper, I'll be writing a story in my head, creating my own complicated headcanon for video games I'm playing, matching stories to songs...
Even if I tried to stop, it'd just end up filling up my head and burst out somehow.

Honestly, I can't imagine being alive and not writing.
That reminds me of when I first wrote a story. Of course it was a part of a school assignment. I can still remember what it was about. In the story, I was grown up, an adult, and in the story I would walk around a nice city and chat with sweet old ladies, and then, in the story, I went to sleep and dreamed about my past, where I was either a race car driver or a spy or both. Okay, so I can't remember all of it.

And after we turned in our stories, each kid in the class would read someone else's. It was random. That was the first time I noticed a girl staring and grinning at me. Of course I didn't know what it meant at the time. I just thought it was weird, the way she stared and grinned at me. But I'm pretty sure she liked me because of my story. Imagine how that would make a boy feel. Getting a girl interested in you, and with your writing of all things! It was dynamite!

It gave me quite the bit of confidence to give a serious go at writing years later.