Will vibrations be felt in a tunnel from a mech battle above ground?

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Like a couple of 10 meter tall mechs smacking each other around with appropriately sized weapons. Or large tank-sized rifle rounds hitting the ground when missing.
Upper layer is dirt, stone, and finally like two meters of concrete around the tunnel itself.

Could you feel the battle if the total material thickness is 10 meters? 15? 20?

Edit: The battle is taking place above ground, while the reference person is below ground.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22388

To me, it sure will, cause I just got transport because of your description.

If it's ten metre thick concrete...
Then maybe I could hear big but small muffled sound
Same goes for the impact...

On another simulation, I think I won't notice it unless I put my left ear to the wall(to hear that vibration)

I'm no expert, just using my geuss of logic.

ChubbyLiv

The concrete is enforced with steel, above it is a thick layer of dirt and soil to reduce the sound and vibrations. I'd assume there is a loud trafic above the ground (cars, people, etc.) As long as they don't pierce through the tunel, people below should be clueless about things happening above them.

Inside the tunel, the further away you're from the battle, the less you'd hear and feel. (The concrete will deflect some damage, while the soil around the tunel would reduce the vibrations from transfering further away.) The sound of the battle will transfer to you faster than the vibrations.

Conclusion, 10-20m is a looot. You shouldn't feel any battle vibrations. It'll scatter before it reaches the tunel. Soil is a decent soundproof material. You shouldn't hear anything specific either. That's if the firepower doesn't equal a meteorite falling from the sky.

Last edited:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
EDIT: The title is a little vague. Is the mech battle in the tunnel or above ground? the title could theoretically imply either/or. Either way, my estimation stands.

10 metre mechs are generally on the low end of the (rough) grand scale of mecha and their conventional firepower is on the level of tank to artillery cannons, that's 120mm to 155mm. Now, i'm not taking into account more exotic ordinance, like railguns and electro-chemical ordinance (lasers, plasma, etc), just conventional shells.

It's unlikely it would be heard or felt unless the concrete was very thin and the tunnel was close to the ground surface. the deeper it is and/or the thicker the concrete, the less a chance of anything being felt.

Question: How thick is the layer of dirt and stone on top of the concrete?

As a rough guesstimate, anything over 5 metres for each would render it highly likely unnoticeable to anyone standing above ground unless they were lobbing around such level of ordinance that probably wouldnt fit on a 10 metre mech in the first place.

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
10 meters tall doesn't mean measly 10 times the weight because of square cubes laws. If we scaled their agility up to the standard of human, then their punch would packed tons of energy, scary amounts of energy.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Obviously, I can clearly feel when a single car drives past my house. I can feel when people are entering the room through vibrations. So why not when humungous steel boxes are exchanging punches.

PS. Mechs are stupid. I am a fan of tanks, vastly superior in everything. :blob_reach:

Daitengu

Depends on the size of the mechs. Example, I live a couple of city blocks from a train track. When the train goes by, it'll rattle the house.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
yes. i've been in a train station before where the bottom is the entrance and the tracks laid above. every time a train passed by i could feel it through my body, and that's from metal supports, concrete railings and a whole floor separating me from that thing. suffice to say, i dont think layers of dirt and concrete can come up to the shher magnitude of fictional mechs

ChubbyLiv

Maybe at the entrance of a train station. Rattle of the house happens because it's above ground. But I wouldn't compare the movement of a train to a mecha... The stress a train put on the rails, speed, weight, etc is completely different. When a mecha hits the ground it creates a creater around it's body, a "thud", not a constant vibration.

Construction of a tunel is different to a house with thin walls about 0,2-0,5m

10-20m is 3-6 floors of earth. When you could feel the rattle above ground, it can mean that the force transferred to nearby buildings rather than deep under ground.

Last edited:

ChubbyLiv

Wave actually transferred faster in solid than air or liquid, just so you know.

Yup, it transfer through the surface of the ground.

Just saying because lots of metros go deep under the ground in case of a nuclear bomb.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
EDIT: The title is a little vague. Is the mech battle in the tunnel or above ground? the title could theoretically imply either/or. Either way, my estimation stands.

10 metre mechs are generally on the low end of the (rough) grand scale of mecha and their conventional firepower is on the level of tank to artillery cannons, that's 120mm to 155mm. Now, i'm not taking into account more exotic ordinance, like railguns and electro-chemical ordinance (lasers, plasma, etc), just conventional shells.

It's unlikely it would be heard or felt unless the concrete was very thin and the tunnel was close to the ground surface. the deeper it is and/or the thicker the concrete, the less a chance of anything being felt.

Question: How thick is the layer of dirt and stone on top of the concrete?

As a rough guesstimate, anything over 5 metres for each would render it highly likely unnoticeable to anyone standing above ground unless they were lobbing around such level of ordinance that probably wouldnt fit on a 10 metre mech in the first place.

The mechs is above ground, initially in the air, before falling back to ground after taking some damage and continuing there.
The thickness of the concrete is constant (1-2 meters, whichever is more realistic), while the dirt and stone is variable. I would like them to be able to just barely feel the vibrations.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
The mechs is above ground, initially in the air, before falling back to ground after taking some damage and continuing there.
The thickness of the concrete is constant (1-2 meters, whichever is more realistic), while the dirt and stone is variable. I would like them to be able to just barely feel the vibrations.
i'd say, 2 metres concrete and not more than 2-3 metres of dirt and stone would be a safe bet.