Will You Be Writing In The NaNoWriMo Challenge?

Will You Be Writing In The NaNoWriMo Challenge?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Too Lazy

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
It's August, ladies, gentlemen, and non binary friends, but November is coming up soon!

What's NaNoWriMo?
Ah, so if you haven't heard of NaNoWriMo, it is National Novel Writing Month. The website that hosts the challenge encourages you to write a full novel or at least 50,000 words in 30 days. It's a very fun challenge and they give you access to tips tricks, and send motivational quotes during the entire month.

I've participated in the challenge for three years now, and have never been able to finish it, always falling behind at 30,000 words of even 20,000. But, this time, I am determined to finish the challenge! So my question to you, ladies and gentlemen, is if you will be joining?

Want more information? Here's the link: https://www.nanowrimo.org
source.gif

Scribbler

Most I've ever written for a story was 27k. And that took me 2 months.

Ninetailed_Furball

50k in 30 days? That's roughly how much I already do in my current series!

But if I enter, I'd have to do double that. Don't know if I can do that unless if I can get a some time off of work. Maybe I can accomplish it if I spend all my breaks and time on the bus and train writing?

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
If I give up my livelihood and live just for writing, it may be possible :blob_hmm_two:
50k in 30 days? That's roughly how much I already do in my current series!

But if I enter, I'd have to do double that. Don't know if I can do that unless if I can get a some time off of work. Maybe I can accomplish it if I spend all my breaks and time on the bus and train writing?
Yup, it's a hard challenge because of scheduling. I always suffocate because it's right before my finals study month :eek:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I can write over 5k in an hour if I knew exactly what I wanted to write about. 2k even if I'm winging it. But I'm lazy, take breaks, and find other stuff to do. Were I focused, I could easily get that 50k in half a month either way.

But I don't give a damn about doing it cuz things like this contest, I dunno, they drain you. You don't do good work in that amount of time either. This even isn't taking revisements into account, proofing and the like. Or changes. You won't have time to alter things to your liking

If the goal is only to finish, then fine. But it won't teach you anything more than to shovel shit into the faces of readers. Maybe not shit, okay, but I personally wouldn't likely be satisfied with whatever came out.

And it's not like you will only be writing. You gotta eat, shit, maybe even work. Unless you are literally a shut-in, you won't have high odds of completing the challenge.

It's basically made for people with no lives who can solely devote themselves to writing.

Don't make yourself suffer and write shat may very likely turn out to be a crap story you won't even like just for the sake of a challenge with unreasonable expectations.

hueyhare

I might try. I've been doing the camps this year where you set your own goal. So far, the farthest I've gotten in a month is 25K, but I don't see any harm in signing up and trying. If I fail, I've still made progress on my story and the challenge is a little extra push to write more words than you usually would. Even if they're bad words, there's always editing.

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
Maybe. I'm fairly certain that I've written that much in that time before when I started my series but when you start a series, all of your ideas are fresh and just natural come out quickly. I don't know if I can do that again without taking a break and letting my creative juices restock.

Kotohood

Noob Author
I might join. But I got my own thing to write so I'm rather afraid this will affect my schedule.

Do you have any links to the website by the way? I want to at least know the rules before I decide.

Edit:I just woke up and I'm blind. Forgive me for not seeing the link before hand.

mrsimple

Writer
I've thought about participating, but completing my stories is a priority first. When I had the chance and capacity to do so, I should have tried last year.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
It always takes place during my busier months so no. I think it’d just stress me out, haha!

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
If the goal is only to finish, then fine. But it won't teach you anything more than to shovel shit into the faces of readers. Maybe not shit, okay, but I personally wouldn't likely be satisfied with whatever came out.
I think this is exactly what NaNoWriMo is about. It's not for people who would write anyway and finish their stuff, it's for the ones who always go "Oh, I'd like to write a novel" but never sit down and do it or only start but then get so bogged down by all the revisions and edits that they never get to the end of that novel and finally give up. Basically, you're only supposed to write a first draft of the story (or 50k of that story) and then edit it later. If I remember correctly, there is even a month at the beginning of the following year that's dedicated to the revision. NaNoWriMo isn't about writing, revising, and editing a story into a state that's ready for publishing, it's just about getting started and hopefully having a first (shitty) draft ready at the end of the month that you can work into something nice later.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I think this is exactly what NaNoWriMo is about. It's not for people who would write anyway and finish their stuff, it's for the ones who always go "Oh, I'd like to write a novel" but never sit down and do it or only start but then get so bogged down by all the revisions and edits that they never get to the end of that novel and finally give up. Basically, you're only supposed to write a first draft of the story (or 50k of that story) and then edit it later. If I remember correctly, there is even a month at the beginning of the following year that's dedicated to the revision. NaNoWriMo isn't about writing, revising, and editing a story into a state that's ready for publishing, it's just about getting started and hopefully having a first (shitty) draft ready at the end of the month that you can work into something nice later.
Huh. Alright, put that way I guess I can understand. Though I really think they need to lower the word count, at least. 50k is a lot to a new writer.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Huh. Alright, put that way I guess I can understand. Though I really think they need to lower the word count, at least. 50k is a lot to a new writer.
I guess that's true. Although I think it's doable if the person really sits down every day or maybe does a bit more on the weekend or something. I think you'd need 1667 words or something per day then? If you really don't edit at all, then I guess even a new writer could do that in maybe two hours if they're not an incredibly slow typer?
And 50k might have the benefit of being close to the length of a 'real novel' if we're talking romance so maybe that'd be motivating for people to go into revision afterward and not just throw the thing into a corner and call it quits because they already feel burned out? :D

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I guess that's true. Although I think it's doable if the person really sits down every day or maybe does a bit more on the weekend or something. I think you'd need 1667 words or something per day then? If you really don't edit at all, then I guess even a new writer could do that in maybe two hours if they're not an incredibly slow typer?
And 50k might have the benefit of being close to the length of a 'real novel' if we're talking romance so maybe that'd be motivating for people to go into revision afterward and not just throw the thing into a corner and call it quits because they already feel burned out? :D
Actually yeah romance novels would be the best choice for that challenge . It's a really simple formula to follow.

i joined nanowrimo few times and I always end up with some pile of gibberish I didn't even use.

It's probably just not for me. I can't feel as motivated when I have to fulfill a certain goal, rather than doing it 'cuz I want to.

Zero300

The challenge isn't to continue an existing novel or novels but rather to start a new one from scratch. How many of you are starting a new one? I'm planning on it and I'll be uploading the chapters on Scribble Hub. Should we make this into a contest?

LWFlouisa

I've only ever participated in it once. What I tended to find out was once people found out I was doing it, the competitive nature of people in general enabled them to abuse the priviledge of knowing I was up to that, to spam my Twitter feed with nonsense.

So I don't generally announce it when I do. I'm writing, yes. But not for Nano.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I've done it and completed it before!

However, I'm not sure if I'd do it again. I think the experience is worthwhile to build your identity as a writer and confidence in your productivity -- but when I was rushing to write 1667 words per day, I often felt like I was just vomiting onto my keyboard to fulfill the quota. I never looked at the my NaNoWriMo story after that point again, because it was honestly really bad...

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Like really really really bad!