WORD Battle - Swamp Level

Zero300

A giant monster enemy will be composed of different WORDs at different key areas of the monster’s body. For aesthetics, the WORDs will be put in a WORD bank for each area. The objective is simple. Write a certain number of words to ‘cross out’ a WORD on the monster’s body. The number of words to write corresponds with the number of letters that make up the WORD multiply by a factor of 100. Not to mention, the words must be a short story about the WORD in question. One word equals 1 HP.

For instance, if the WORD is “mozzarella”, then a player would write 1000 words about mozzarella.

Level of Difficulty = Monster Level
Example: the WORD is “kraken”
  • Level 1 --> Write 600 words about anything; no consistency required. Must include the word ‘kraken’.
  • Level 2 --> Write 600 words story; consistency required. Must include the word ‘kraken’.
  • Level 3 --> Write 600 words story about kraken(s).
  • Level 4 --> Write 600 words story about kraken(s). Genre must be ______.
  • Level 5 --> Write 600 words story about kraken(s). Genre must be ______. Cannot use letter __.

As players level up, they will gain/buy different abilities. 1 EXP gained = 1000 words written. To get from level 0 to level 1, 10 EXP is needed. To get from level 1 to level 2, 20 EXP is needed…and so forth.

To defeat a monster, players must cross out all of the WORDs. The monster attacks every week, not by dealing damage but by placing writing restrictions on players. For instance, a monster could disable a player’s capability of using the letter ‘c’, which means the affected player’s next post cannot contain the letter ‘c’.

After a certain time limit, if the monster still hasn’t been defeated, then the monster would escape. Though the raid would be over, there’s no sense of accomplishment for the writers, right?

Players please sign up by stating your character's name. Follow this Character Template when registering for the game.

Character Template:
Name:
Level: 0
Class: WORD Modifier
EXP: 0/10

Character Class:
WORD Modifier
  • Level 0
    • Basic Rhyme
      • Used once per day
      • Can change a WORD to another WORD that has the same rhyming pattern à ‘ground’ to ‘sound’
  • Level 1: 10 EXP required
    • Basic Rhyme
    • Letter Changer
      • Used once per three posts
      • Can change a letter in a WORD to another letter as long as the WORD means something à ‘head’ to ‘heat’
  • Level 2: 20 EXP required
    • Basic Rhyme
    • Letter Changer
    • Letter Scrambler
      • Used once per three posts
      • Can scramble a WORD to make a new WORD à ‘dare’ to ‘read’
  • Level 3: 30 EXP required
    • Basic Rhyme
    • Letter Changer
    • Letter Scrambler
    • Comma Separator
      • Used once per day
      • Can add comma separator(s) to a WORD to make a couple of new WORDs à ‘headmaster’ to ‘head, master’
  • Level 4: 40 EXP required
    • Basic Rhyme
    • Letter Changer
    • Letter Scrambler
    • Comma Separator
    • Word Association
      • Used once per three days
      • Can associate a WORD with another WORD à ‘mozzarella’ to ‘cheese’
  • Level 5: 50 EXP required
    • Basic Rhyme
    • Letter Changer
    • Letter Scrambler
    • Comma Separator
    • Word Association
    • Setting Modifier
      • Used once per week
      • Can change the setting of the story by replacing one word à ‘The monster smashed a boulder at the group of Modifiers, sending them into a daze and causing them unable to use ‘ch’.’ to ‘The monster smashed a flower at the group of Modifiers, doing nothing to them.’
Once you posted your Character, you will become a Participant. You can then start the game. When you decide on a WORD to choose from, post your character's name and which WORD you will be attempting. Also, post any skills you want to use (if applicable).
Zero attempting 'sip' from 'Monster Left Arm'. I will be using the Basic Rhyme skill to change 'sip' to 'dip'.

When it's time for you to post your work, make sure to write your character's name and which WORD you are about to cross out. Also include what skills you may have used to modify the WORD and then post your writing under it.
Zero submitting 'sip' from 'Monster Left Ar'. I changed it to 'dip' using Basic Rhyme.
Story Content

Participant List:

Last edited:

Zero300

Battle #1

A company wanted to clear and transform the local swamps into a place suitable for constructing new houses. However, the workers had encountered a number of monsters which caused a pause in their plans.

Rumors of monster sightings:
  • Some workers have perished at the jaws of the monstrous Giant Croc, which weighed about four tons and has a length of ten meters from nose to tail.
  • Different colored balls of light were seen floating about near the outskirts of the swamp. Workers who neared the balls of light were either frozen, burned, or poisoned.
  • On one section of the swamp, there was an indescribable stench that knocked out most of the workers that drew near the area. In addition, they could hear roars of a powerful monster from at the center of the stinky region.
  • Some workers sighted another Giant Croc, but there was some contradicting information like how the Giant Croc was at least half the size of a regular Giant Croc. In addition, some reported seeing the reptilian monster wear armor, use a rusted weapon, and run on two legs.
  • One worker fell in a pit of mud and while they struggled to climb out, the worker kept saying something about seeing ‘eyes’ in the pit of mud as if there were something in there with him.
  • Some workers sighted a monster with glowing eyes and vine/mossy like body. The monster was at least five times larger than the average human so the workers did not approach the monster. They did see, however, that the Giant Croc actively stayed away from the swamp monster.

Zero300

Giant Croc - Level 3
giant_croc.png

Giant Croc Head
scrawnywishbrownpartplastic
skirtswimsorepenitent

Giant Croc Body
conveyboorishcalmbubbleabjectliststranger
meatyidioticlamentableshiveringtoymonkeydetailed

Giant Croc Tail
bluerainysuperficialpestlacevolatile
stingcuriousamuckpushystare
--> Must complete Level 2 to unlock

Last edited:

Zero300

Wisps - Level 1
wisp.png

Wisp 1
fingerhopewriting
selectionjuicenotebook

Wisp 2
rangemilkdowntown
peartoothkick

Wisp 3
feelingprisonquilt
vasepoisonbook

Wisp 4
stomachdistributioncar
thoughtadvicechalk

Wisp 5
deathowlfact
rainstormarmforce

Wisp 6
farmgradeweight
girlsriflepayment

Wisp 7
walksummerwater
spiderscopyyam

Wisp 8
lunchwooldad
pumpreadingtongue

Wisp 9
boysmotherharmony
suitsinksense

Wisp 10
oatmealletterfairies
grapegrandfatherbread

Last edited:

Zero300

Mud Monster - Level 2
mud_monster.png

Mud Monster 1
panbeamtank
horncherrywheat

Mud Monster 2
headtailcoin
ornamentcaketime

Mud Monster 3
crayonnetrain
heartsistersdolls

Mud Monster 4
personmicepen
parksmilehorse

Mud Monster 5
mistdonkeyeggnog
existencepricehydrant

Mud Monster 6
sugarsmokecabbage
pullcombpatch
--> Must complete Level 1 to unlock

Last edited:

Zero300

Skunk Ape - Level 4 (Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy)
skunk_ape.png

Skunk Ape Head
yummydiscusspurposehugesack
fishincompetentruninquisitivemushy

Skunk Ape Body
housesyokewoodnecktieoceancreaturecalculator
metalovenearthquakefoodsparkcrateharbor

Skunk Ape Left Arm
hitwritesavvy
behaveshavearrest

Skunk Ape Right Arm
gagtreatsip
coveryieldcontest

Skunk Ape Left Foot
mercifulsilentuncovered
outgoingkeenwretched

Skunk Ape Right Foot
poorbrokeninconclusive
newpoorillegal
--> Must complete Level 3 to unlock

Last edited:

Zero300

Lizardman - Level 4 (Genre: Horror/Romance)
lizardman.png

Lizardman Head
scissorstonguefriendsshirtlamp
honeylanguagestringchickenboat

Lizardman Body
filthjeanschairwristfifthhourwren
washkingairplanerootgrapequietumbrella

Lizardman Left Arm
copperantvegetable
jampagethrone

Lizardman Right Arm
furnituremappan
nounmomstage

Lizardman Left Foot
childrenfangbalance
sailcobwebgiraffe

Lizardman Right Foot
turkeybottlehome
handviewglobe
--> Must complete Level 3 to unlock

Last edited:

Zero300

Swamp Monster - Level 5 (Genre: Urban Fantasy; Cannot Use Letter 'K')
swamp_monster.png

Swamp Monster Left Claws
splitdisappearfreezecutpraisecreatedrink
replacebiteswallownourishvietrampletell

Swamp Monster Right Claws
confineintegratespinsagputdinerequest
resistwastechargeearnsingfollowtranslate

Swamp Monster Head
needlessmadlylyingunadvisedjazzygoofysimplistic
obtainablesneakyunusualheartbreakingdelightfulgreatresolute

Swamp Monster Left Arm
hobbiesyardjudgeapplecupauntbagcablefacestreetreceipt
quarterbookprocesscactusdrumwoundbreakfastfrogsbuildingsigncoil

Swamp Monster Right Arm
cloudafternooneffectalarmarmargumentdinnerpotatosidewalkgeesehate
homedesignowlstemreligionattemptshadesilverwinterbowltrick

Swamp Monster Left Leg
jellyadditionpetsleafquestionattitudecherriescattlenoonjawsstick
linenflighthosetempergrainpetalsdamagejokeapparelsonorgan

Swamp Monster Right Leg
wineminttreatytrampsnakematchminerbirthdayballoonseatroof
boyenemythundermoneyionroomgluehoteleyebrassveil

Swamp Monster Body
calendardateskinnymurkykissselfishsuperlearningnauseatingrenounceladleelderlydelicate
jumbledjumplistenterritoryforsakechewwarmscrabbleknottyfancyadmitpatstraight
molarwindowstretchrategreenlowlyknocksurroundbatcurvedbreezystandiron
requestlaughcurbwetlandsstandingkillerdeernorthsoftrequirementspillmaliciousintelligent
hustlesmallrudemagnifyhugebuildlumbercarriageairypayrailmammothexistence
secureamusinggirlvoyageabsentdramaticfierywryplumberjollyleanfrightenedspot
alerthandsomelycushionthinkablewearyultrawastefulshortenbashsweaterclassifynumberlessheart
cakeinflameauditaspiringhardhourdryhallconsciousbrushpainstakingarmorchip
exultantconnectionstupidperfectburlyblowdockdrawmatterforecastoptimizemaskhell
beginneryouthfulcreamoccurancedisturbsandalsheavenfeast

Swamp Monster Soul
justicekarmagoldmagicexpertarrowaltarpointersandpigwealthlustcart
organizationlightpollutionfalconornamentballlipssilkbutlerfarmdicepaintingcrown
--> Must complete Level 4 to unlock

Last edited:

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Ambitious. Don't you think you should've started small?
Also good luck getting this forum to write some 350k words, even collectively.
This was a good idea, but you tried too hard and the game going to die because none of the monsters will.

Zero300

Ambitious. Don't you think you should've started small?
Also good luck getting this forum to write some 350k words, even collectively.
This was a good idea, but you tried too hard and the game going to die because none of the monsters will.
True...maybe I should have just started with the Giant Croc. Let me change a few things.

Zone_Q11

... @Zero300, can I copy-paste the stories from NUF?
Also, why are you not using an avatar?
Also also; what's up with the spacing on P#4?

Zone_Q11

Name: Alva Quinn (Yes. It's me.)
Level: 0
Class: WORD Modifier
EXP: 0/10

Zone_Q11

Alva Quinn attempting 'tongue' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'.
Alva Quinn submitting 'tongue' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'.
618 words
---------------

I was once suddenly asked by a friend of mine what my favorite language was. I live in a multi-ethnic country where most of its citizens know how to talk in its own mother tongue and in English. My friend’s question came out of nowhere, but I blurted out my answer without thinking too much of it.

“English”, I said in a clear voice. It was a given that English is my favorite language, since it is the lingua franca of the 21st century, along with Chinese, Spanish, and Latin for some people who want to be “professional”.

“I see,” my friend answered, not giving much surprise to my answer. It was then when I got curious why he asked me out of the blue, and he just answered: “It was just a thought that came out of nowhere. It is a boring question though, but I was just curious since you know how to speak like… what, four languages?”

It is true that I am an immigrant. It must have been over ten years since I moved into this country. Due to some circumstances, my family from my father’s side all moved to a neighboring country, whose language was similar to this country’s.

What a nice coincidence.

Anyhow, I am more or less able to speak in four languages. My mother tongue, English, this country’s language, and the neighboring country’s language. It is kind of embarrassing to say that I am able to speak four languages, when I don’t even speak my fourth language. It is not often that I go on vacation after all.

“Right… I don’t feel special though,” I replied to my friend. There are many other people who can talk in more languages than I do, and those who can speak and write in Japanese, Korean and Chinese must be way more talented than I am. Perhaps not so much for Korean, but Chinese and Japanese are hell for those who want to learn their language.

I then continued: “What about you?” Knowing my friend, he should be at least be able to speak his mother tongue and English. I don’t know whether he knows more, but I suspect that he doesn’t.

“Me? Well… I will probably have to go for English as well, since most of the things we are working with nowadays are on English.”

“The lingua franca, yes. It is such an interesting thing, isn’t it? It is also strange as well. If I was the creator of this world, then I would have thought that the lingua franca would be a thing to have within 50 years or so.”

“The thing is though, is that you can’t ignore the other countries’ history. Every country has a history of their own, and those histories were spoken and written in their own language. Then there is also the fact that some people simply like to hear some other words from only one language, since it would be boring to hear the same language after a while.”

It is not that I don’t understand that, but… I guess I just like to imagine a world where everyone can understand me easily. I mainly speak in this country’s language when I go outside. When I am home, I speak in my mother tongue. When I am opening the internet, I write in English. Sometimes I can’t find the word I am looking for in this country’s language, so I either borrowed the English words, or simply talk in English for a while.

“Hm… I guess so,” I said, before my friend stepped out of the bus. We said our goodbyes, and I resumed listening to my playlist as I wait for my stop.
Alva Quinn attempting 'pump' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'.
Alva Quinn submitting 'pump' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'.
414 words
---------------

“Faster. Faster. Faster. I have to run faster than he does,” these have been my thoughts for the last thirty minutes of my life.

I forced my heart to pump more blood to my body, and my body forced me to gasp for more oxygen from the cold air. In front of me is Joey Winston, the boy admired by everyone at school. The boy who had been dating multiple girls, basically owning a harem for himself. I had heard that he went missing a week ago, but I did not think that I would find him running with me for our lives.

If I had told you that I am a normal high school student, then you would probably not believe me, but I really am one. I am a virgin. I have never dated anyone in my life before, though I do have a group of friends whom I often play cards with. My grades were just enough to pass the school, with some subjects being better than the other.

In any case possible, there shouldn’t have been any reason for me to experience the nightmare that I am living in right now.

I turned my head and looked behind me. A pack of hounds were barking as they were slowly catching up to us. I yelped and turned my head back to Joey’s back. I couldn’t see his expression, but I could hear him gasping for air as well.

Half an hour ago, I woke up in this… street. The street was empty, and I noticed that the moon was the only source of light; there were no light poles around. I tried to remember what happened, but nothing came up. The last thing I could remember was going back home from school on my bicycle, when my memory suddenly blacked out.

When I had looked around, I noticed that Joey was already running towards me. I did not believe for a second that he was relieved to see me, so I looked behind him and… well, you know the rest of the story.

I don’t know why Joey is here. I don’t know why both of us were being hunted by a pack of hounds. Perhaps some powerful maniac had actually started a death game of sorts.

One thing that I do know though, is that I can’t keep running forever, and neither does Joey.

One of us has to sacrifice the other to live.

…and then I stopped running.
Alva Quinn attempting 'wool' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'. I will be using the Basic Rhyme skill to change 'wool' to 'mouthful'.
Alva Quinn submitting 'wool' from 'Wisp #8 (Fire)'. I changed it to 'mouthful' using Basic Rhyme.
807 words
---------------

Three men enter a tavern. One human. One dwarf. One imp.

Today was yet another day when their adventures had almost cost them their lives. Yet another day when the dwarf and the imp complained to each other. Yet another day when the human was mentally tortured by the two.

The one to start the fight was the dwarf: “For the love of Mother Nature, why would you ever think to bring a pickaxe into a cave infested by goblins, when you are an assassin!?”

“I had heard from a bard that that cave was supposed to be filled with gemstones! If I knew that he was lying, then I wouldn’t have brought the pickaxe with me!”

“What kind of fool would you have to be to believe a story from a bard!? Ignoring the fact that bards are liars, surely you didn’t need to bring the whole cart along!? I will say this again: You are an assassin! What kind of assassin would voluntarily make noise to reveal their location!?”

“Oh, shut up! So I made a blunder this time, but what will you do about it? It is not as if I am the only one who made stupid decisions in the past. Remember the time when you ‘accidentally’ spilled blood over Hans in the eastern forest? He had to run for hours before he could shake off the wolves, and do I remind you how he shook them off!?”

After the imp finished his sentence, the human named Hans, made a bitter face as he remembered something unpleasant. He then ordered three beverages, and waited at the counter, a few meters away from the war of words.

“That was then, and this is now! Two separate matters! Don’t you dare bring Hans into our discussion again!” the dwarf said with irritation in his voice and slammed the table with his right hand. The dwarf actually said that out of kindness, because the last time the imp brought Hans into their talk, the two of them ended up talking about his blunders.

At that point the elf had complied and said that he will take a moment of silence to reflect. Within a matter of seconds, three glasses full of ale was served at the counter. Hans took a mouthful, the imp took a sip, and the dwarf swallowed the ale whole in one gulp. The two had always been wondering how the dwarf could devour a whole glass of ale without getting an upset stomach, and the dwarf would always respond saying that it was a racial trait of his.

It was then when the imp started asking: “Where do we come from?” But the other two simply replied with the same answer as usual: “We don’t know.”

The three men had one day found themselves lying on the ground inside the tavern. None of them had remembered about their past and profession, and the only person in the tavern was the owner. The owner has the body of a human and the head of a tiger. He claimed that the arrival of the three men was unexpected, but the world they were in had often had such cases to the point where weirdness had become the new normal.

The owner was hospitable and let the men stay at the tavern, but when the three had seen the armor at the display, they instinctively knew what their profession were. At first, they were confused what was happening and what they should do with their abilities, when the owner mentioned about the neighboring towns and villages which might need their help with some chores.

It all started as a small group of nobodies who tried to venture the world, and after encountering the settlements inhabited by rare creatures such as lizardmen, elves, and harpies, they finally got accustomed to the strangeness of their new world.

Fear of the unknown had gradually disappeared, and in their place took the fear that a race might be harming other races. The goblins they had slain from their latest adventure was one of such races. The three had done their best to communicate with the goblins, but the other party did not appear to understand nor willing to understand what others were saying.

Yet another example of this were the bards. As the races had made their own community where each race specializes in something, the sirens had chosen to become bards as they love to sing. The problem is, the sirens love to sing and nothing else. They wouldn’t listen to nor spread the actual news, which is why they were notorious for being liars.

The three men ate and drank at the tavern just like any other day until they slept, and woke up the following morning, ready to venture yet another piece of their strange world.

Now I should get attacked by the Wisp #8 (Fire) ...I wonder whether the debuff is also the same?
Last time I chose "dad" because it was short, so the debuff wouldn't affect me too much.
...well, in any case I can't copy paste everything immediately since Basic Rhyme as a 24 hour cooldown.

Zero300

Wisp of Fire (#8) fluttered unstably from the attacks by Alva Quinn and directed its wrath onto the newbie WORD Modifier. With a fiery charge, the wisp knocked into the WORD Modifier, knocking the air out of the WORD Modifier and burning Alva as well.

"Sssssss!" Alva hissed in pain

(@Zone_Q11 cannot use the letter 's' in his or her next attempt!)