Working With An Artist 101

Luneder

Figure I would make an information dump for those seeking art for their novel on what to expect. This is mostly some basics I picked up after 10 years freelancing as a professional and does not cover everything that maybe encountered.

Amateur vs Professional:
the difference between these two if very simple, an amateur doesn’t have a guarantee of quality while a professional does. Amateur artists tend to be very cheap because they do not have the skills to guarantee a standard quality. A professional charges more because they do have the skill and experience that is worth that price.

Know what you want:
worse thing to send an artist is a monologue about your novel or project full of narcissism about how great it is, all the artist is interested in is what needs to be made. You can still include details about the story but do not expect the artist to read the story because it will just take up the artists time.

Budget: this part is very important because you get what you pay for meaning if you don’t have the money don’t expect a masterpiece. It is common among professionals to have a premium and budget quality in their art because even they know not everyone can afford the high-quality art however the better they are as an artist the more likely even their budget quality would be out of reach.

Buying trust and steps to establish basic trust: this is the most difficult part to do when dealing with an artist online as well for the artist when dealing with a client online. Most basic way is through contract with steps or milestones in the project that also dictate how and for what will be paid for. For the artist the main thing they care for is money, they need some form of incentive such as an upfront partial payment. Milestones or a breakdown into parts becomes more important for this especially if you want to pay for a lot of work beside the cover such as concept designs for characters, creatures, and so on. For example if a client just orders a cover I would charge 50% upfront before even starting because I would need to know that the client has money. Now if the client wants concepts and other art I would break the commission down into parts and charge for each of those parts as I work on them till completion instead of lump summing it.

Schedule and communication: this mainly means finding out how long the project will take and checking on the artist periodically when the artist starts on the project since a lot of times the artist will have other work they are doing at the same time. Just expect that it might take a month or two because no piece of art worth mentioning was done overnight.

Revisions: A professional will already figure in some revisions when estimating the price but remember it isn’t an infinite number and the artist may ask for more money to make changes if the problem is on the client side of things.

Last thing don’t stress: you are paying someone to do this because it is what they know how to do so if you have a worry just ask the artist so they can explain it to you or add in their own thoughts on the problem and how to solve it.

bidoblob

While this is nice, it is kinda sad that you feel that you have to say so many things that should be common sense...

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
While this is nice, it is kinda sad that you feel that you have to say so many things that should be common sense...

From what I can see, this feels more like very very one-sided contract done by a professional in front of a consumer...

Verba volant scripta manent

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
Artists can be a little more forgiving with the pricing when you have used them frequently and shown a good track record regarding behaviour and payment. They are human too and this stuff is always sure to grease the wheels.

Personally, always make sure that your chosen artist includes the additional steps for verification and confirmation that they are going in the right direction. Whether this is asking to see the brainstorming sketches to pick the best pose/layouts, details and themes or to see a draft of the finished product before it's taken to ink. This keeps you informed and able to correct something before it becomes a time-consuming nightmare and reassures the artist you are still looking to get the finish product and thus will pay what is owed for all their hard work

Llamadragon

A few more things to add from my albeit nonprofessional art commissions:

1. Hourly wage. Lots of artists work for less than they'd earn from cleaning bathrooms at McDonald's, and lots of clients expect that kind of price because "but this is what they love to do". A professional artist (and many hobby artists) didn't just invest hundreds of hours learning, they also invested in art supplies and possibly in an expensive education. A professional artist has to make that into an investment with a return of interest, same as anyone in any profession. I've had clients try to sweet talk their way around that, please don't. You probably wouldn't ask your plumber to work for free just because they love their job.

2. Paying upfront. Most artists (unless you are paying a monthly salary) will ask for money upfront, often a 50/50 payment. This is because if the client goes missing, they would otherwise have done it all for free.

3. Make sure you communicate the level of art you want. I once had a communication mishap with a client who wanted me to make them something with a specific motive, and I made them a full painting for 300 usd. Turned out afterwards, they wanted a sketch. I still got paid, we were technically still inside the contract (how I learned to be careful with the wording), and they still felt happy to get their money's worth. But that was lucky. When commissioning an artist, make sure you specify exactly what you're after, not just the subject but also the level/style of art if the artist has worked in more than one, and if you want it colored. If they work with an hourly rate, let them know if you have a price estimate to stay within.