world building.

rust

I made a program for my site to help writers to find and exchange items of a story like maps, magic and science logic, anyway you can help others on what you good and get help for what you are not good ... . so i wanted to make the first example my self. to build the raw data that anyone can use. like maps and ... . I want to build it with autocad but not sure how to start. should i make the whole planet from the start or make the small parts and link them together. what about geography? in the end came with the idea to ask for some advise. so what you think?

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
That's a bit difficult. When designing a world, you have to figure out how everything blends together. When a country is designed, you need to understand how geography plays into their culture and relationships with other countries. For example: You can have a country set up in a cold climate, but you need to be able to explain how they are self sustainable at the very least. If there is a very warlike country next to a peaceful one, there should be an explanation as to why the peaceful country hasn't been invaded. These can be through geographical means, economic means, diplomatic means, or through some magical means specific to the world.
What I'm saying is that first you have to pick something you want to focus on for an area, and build everything else around it in a way that makes sense. You can design the geography first, or you can build geography that will be convenient to some other thing. You can design your civilizations first, or you can lay them down once you build the geography. Or you can do a mix of the two, picking when and where to place what you want.
But please, most important of all, it's okay to ask for feedback on some of your ideas. No one is perfect, and if you don't have expertise in a certain area, you can ask for advice in those areas.
That's my two cents. Hopefully, this will help.

Last edited:

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
Is it really necessary to make yet another program to "assist" writers with their world-building? to the extent that one must first learn how to best use that piece of software.

I personally already know of a whole bunch of programs that do anything from generating fantasy/world maps to creating national and individual fact sheets.

Also, when it comes to exchanging items, are these all for the same story or exchanging details of different stories that each individual is working on? because then you have issues with inconsistency and irrelevant information being passed back and forth. Keep in mind that every story can have its own canon regarding magic and science and its geography, so a single software for sharing between writers seems almost redundant :S Don't want to see you to put in a lot of work on something like this only to find later that nobody has a use for it.

rust

of course there are similar things but they just help you organize your data. but here you can take parts that fit your design... it's different between normal and pay to win players..! and it's free to use. and yes i will share ideas with anyone who wants me to...