World Hopping Genre

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
For starters, I find this genre fascinating. So much so that someday, I hope I'll be able to write a version of my own. I've read a few and the potential of writing short arcs with different genres and complications sound so fun. Restarting with a different plot seems refreshing somehow.

For those who also read the genre, what plots do you usually like encountering in these novels? Personally, for some reason, I like the zombie and business mogul arcs. The cultivation ones are my least fave. Also, I get the Mary Sue possibilities because of acquired skills from different worlds but too much of it can still get irritating.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
For starters, I find this genre fascinating. So much so that someday, I hope I'll be able to write a version of my own. I've read a few and the potential of writing short arcs with different genres and complications sound so fun. Restarting with a different plot seems refreshing somehow.

For those who also read the genre, what plots do you usually like encountering in these novels? Personally, for some reason, I like the zombie and business mogul arcs. The cultivation ones are my least fave. Also, I get the Mary Sue possibilities because of acquired skills from different worlds but too much of it can still get irritating.

Well i dunno about you but MY mc is gonna create an inter-realm delivery service via teleporting World Tree Spirit daughters, be the founder of the inter-realm McAvery fast food chain, and someday go back to earth to raid area 51 and clap alien cheeks before possibly having space adventures.

world hopping with an OP MC aint worth shit if he dont do whatever the fuck he wants.

Either declare yourself overlord of earth or gtfo. Thats my motto.

I have a lot of mottos.

Dont wuote me on any of this tho cuz im lazy and i dunno if im even gonna get that far.

That stuff aside, yeah. I feel world hopping never gets explored to its full potential. Especially with OP mcs. They are op AND can travel between worlds? Yet they dont do shit with all that power? Weak sauce bro. Weak sauce.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I'm planning to write one too, as a less plot-character-lore intensive rest after I finish my current novels and before what I think will be a very labor intensive novel that i'll be writing after that.
Haven't actually read any of the genre, unless you count a couple of dropped RRL novels, so can't really weigh in on my fav plots in the genre.

tak

weirdly, I don't really remember what I like. I remember what impressed me:
  1. showbiz, but model instead of an actress. It's ANTM based, and seeing the villain already "dead" but still seeking dead is fun. plus, the side character on that arc is very lovely
  2. this weird arc turns out a prequel to THAT common AU MC is a dolphin=mers AU
i don't like arcs that scare me, like ghosts or a disturbing harem arc where MC is in danger of being raped by lots of important characters
I want to read cooking arc, or medical arc... i rarely see those in QT novels...

QT novel was the first novel I published on SH, but i deleted it after counting how much characters i must create (It was genre change in the same world, so i can't recycle the character).

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
QT novel was the first novel I published on SH, but i deleted it after counting how much characters i must create (It was genre change in the same world, so i can't recycle the character).
Yeah, that's actually the daunting part. If ever I end up writing in this genre, I'd definitely just steal names from random novels and hope for the best. h

tak

Yeah, that's actually the daunting part. If ever I end up writing in this genre, I'd definitely just steal names from random novels and hope for the best. h
You can use name generator. I didn't cause in my story, the side character in this arc can be the main antagonist in the next.
Also, you can use nicknames if they're friends, like in big hero 6 (wasabi, honey lemon, etc)

Last edited:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
It depends on the story. I favour ancient settings without cultivation and I tend to dislike sci-fi and apocalypse worlds.

However, some very good stories have made me love every world, and some bad ones have made me hate everything I thought I'd love.
So it really depends on having a complex MC I can root for and some sense of over-arching plotline and continuity.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I think one aspect I find particularly repugnant is that there always ends up being a kind of deeply classist aspect of QT fiction.
I think it's because it's Chinese. They're very classist and it shows quite clearly in Hong Kong. I'm not even talking about the riots. I'm talking about those coffin houses. The class gap is so huge. They literally don't care for their own workers.

I do like the idea of turning the QT genre on its head. Whatever that entails. It would be interesting to see an MC go through worlds not with the trending genres you usually see in QT fiction. Also, it irks me to read QT novels where they're against MC and say their current personas are supposedly cannon-fodder when, as a reader, you don't see much cannon-fodder stuff happening to them. Not really. They'd be all Mary Sue and bulldoze all else because that's what they're supposed to do. Because of stuff like those, I ricochet away and hope to find my next QT fix.