World Map Making

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
So was thinking of trying to draw a World Map of my story, though still not sure if I will do it. Anybody know what I could use to create one?

NilasaMinos

Inkarnate is a pretty cool website, there's a lot you can access even if you're just using the free version

Lorelliad

Inkarnate is a pretty cool website, there's a lot you can access even if you're just using the free version
Was thinking of trying Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator but immediately turned away once seeing how complicated it was. I'll try this one out ty

Echimera

There are a lot of questions you'll have to answer for yourself when deciding on a tool like that.
How in depth do you want to go (outlines of continents and maybe states, detailed geography, ...)?
Do you want to create your own map or is one generated by an algorithm something you'd like?
How important is it for you that the map is realistic.
How often, if ever, do your want to update your map?
Do you want to go beyond just the map and go into things like genealogies, character relationships, data on the different cultures and so on? (If yes, there are some tools that have that integrated)

This Video shows some of the more popular options, maybe that helps.
Then there is the Roll for Fantasy Map Creator.

Lorelliad

There are a lot of questions you'll have to answer for yourself when deciding on a tool like that.
How in depth do you want to go (outlines of continents and maybe states, detailed geography, ...)?
Do you want to create your own map or is one generated by an algorithm something you'd like?
How important is it for you that the map is realistic.
How often, if ever, do your want to update your map?
Do you want to go beyond just the map and go into things like genealogies, character relationships, data on the different cultures and so on? (If yes, there are some tools that have that integrated)

This Video shows some of the more popular options, maybe that helps.
Then there is the Roll for Fantasy Map Creator.
Political maps are good enough. Just wanted a rough outline of the countries, continents and places of interests. But I'll check it out, thanks!

Graph paper and colored pencils. Seriously.
And speaking of a World Map, keep in mind that on a mercator projection E-W distances get skewed as you move away from the equator. I used a polar projection for my world and made northern and southern hemisphere maps (still skewed, but much less so, and easier to figure out the distortion). Three more notes: Political boundaries usually follow geographical ones. The choice of prime meridian is arbitrary, and everybody likes to believe they are at the origin. Good maps are a very recent thing; you will know precise distances and directions, but your characters will not.

P.S. I realize I have assumed you are writing about a roughly sperical, rocky world, and not a ringworld, discword, gas torus, or liquid/fluid world.

An addendum: Remember, nature loves fractals, so squigly, bent, and crooked lines are great. You're not trying to draw a perfect circle, so don't worry about "mistakes".

marko.karl

Was thinking of trying Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator but immediately turned away once seeing how complicated it was. I'll try this one out ty
it's actually really easy to use, you just have to get familiar with the interface, as long as you are okay with randomly generated roads/rivers.
if you want i can make you a very quick tutorial on how to do a new continent and the countries in it tomorrow.
if you wanna do it with other programs you can either try inkarnate, as it has all the tools to create a map very easily, but a lot of stuff is blocked behind a paywall.

Lorelliad

it's actually really easy to use, you just have to get familiar with the interface, as long as you are okay with randomly generated roads/rivers.
if you want i can make you a very quick tutorial on how to do a new continent and the countries in it tomorrow.
if you wanna do it with other programs you can either try inkarnate, as it has all the tools to create a map very easily, but a lot of stuff is blocked behind a paywall.
Yup just figured out that now. It's all good man I'll figure it out :D