Worst writing advice that actually makes you laugh

We all got good advices and bad advices.

...but have you ever read or gotten an advice so bad, it made you lol so hard?

Feel free to share it here, for others, it might be crazy enough--to actually work on us!

Owl

Nervous writer
It's fine to change a character's motives or backstory midway to fit the way the story is, since "the readers won't notice or remember that anyway" :blob_neutral:
(.......My readers remember details I don't even remember having written)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'mma be honest, I've never received an inheritly bad writing advice that isn't sarcasm or satirical. Even to me, the worst of advices can have real value extracted to it.

It's fantasy genre fiction, so it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.
maybe it can work, if you're the Author of Invisible Dragon :D /

Think of these. Let's say I make a fantasy world that doesn't make sense. In this fantasy world, paladins or mages don't hold a candle to the imaginative mind of a child. If your imagination is powerful enough, you can materialize your imagination; say an invisible dragon. That doesn't make a lick of sense, but if I interject it with coherency and rules to the story and narrative, I might be able to build something cool out of it.

Even if I take the advice completely out of context, I can still make something out of it. I'm like a scrapyard artist. Be it shit or gold, I'm taking it and you better believe I'm making art out of it.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Think of these. Let's say I make a fantasy world that doesn't make sense. In this fantasy world, paladins or mages don't hold a candle to the imaginative mind of a child. If your imagination is powerful enough, you can materialize your imagination; say an invisible dragon. That doesn't make a lick of sense, but if I interject it with coherency and rules to the story and narrative, I might be able to build something cool out of it.

Even if I take the advice completely out of context, I can still make something out of it. I'm like a scrapyard artist. Be it shit or gold, I'm taking it and you better believe I'm making art out of it.
That still conformed to rules of your world aka 'imagination can make reality'. Sense, in this case, is not what is physically possible, but what is consistent.

Sure it's weird and somewhat unbelievable, but it still have some sense in it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
That still conformed to rules of your world aka 'imagination can make reality'. Sense, in this case, is not what is physically possible, but what is consistent.

Sure it's weird and somewhat unbelievable, but it still have some sense in it.
Yeah I guess so but MY POINT STILL REMAINS ERECT

Nanakawaichan

It's fine to change a character's motives or backstory midway to fit the way the story is, since "the readers won't notice or remember that anyway" :blob_neutral:
I can relate this 😂

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Haha! Can I borrow one of your readers as a beta reader?

Husband: "Hey, where did the necklace come from?"
Me: "It was in the paragraph right above the one you just read."
Husband: "Oh . . . yeah, I'm tired."

For context, here's a sneak peek:
“Right. Um . . . I’ll see what I can find. Here, take a lapis just in case it helps.” The shopkeeper reached over to a nearby rack and pulled off a leather cord from which dangled a blue stone in the shape of a lotus. He handed it to Mokuba.

“Thanks.” Not wanting to be rude, Mokuba donned the necklace, hoping it wouldn’t wind up fused to his body like Joan’s ring. With that, they left the Mystic Talismans stall. As soon as they made it out of the shopkeeper’s line of sight, Mokuba took off the talisman and pocketed it. “I don’t want to take any risks.”

CL

Paraphrased suggestion to me: "What is this? Quit it. Nobody is going to buy this crap."

It does count. Years later, I can laugh at what Mom said to a little me. I still write (try to at least), but I'm not confident it's any good.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think this one holds some merit, but with a caveat.

It's fine to change their motives or backstory to fit your narrative... But in that case, you'll need to go to the early chapters and edit things to fit your new backstory/motives.

To give a personal example, in 10 chapters of the story I'm currently writing, I changed the basic premise of the story twice... And well, that's totally okay, but it also forced me to go over those early chapters and change some parts of them to fit my new premise.

You can't assume your readers won't remember the changes, because they will. But that shouldn't stop you from making the change, but only for as long as you're willing to go back and make the beginning of your story consistent with your new choices.

Owl

Nervous writer
It's fine to change their motives or backstory to fit your narrative... But in that case, you'll need to go to the early chapters and edit things to fit your new backstory/motives.
That's the thing. The advice was meant as in, no need to worry about previous chapters. A full edit is something pretty normal, but thinking you can randomly change up stuff without cleaning up is.... Well. Not pretty.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
That's the thing. The advice was meant as in, no need to worry about previous chapters. A full edit is something pretty normal, but thinking you can randomly change up stuff without cleaning up is.... Well. Not pretty.
Yeah, that one is horrible! >.<

The people that love your story will definitely remember it and call you out on that! It's no good to just change it on the spot! >.<