Would it be better to have shorter and faster updates or longer and slower updates?

Shorter and faster updates or longer and slow updates?

• Total voters

Lukha

mother of all ships
Hey guys, so I've been noticing a few things about the novels on ScribbleHub, and I've seen that my average word count per chapter is about twice as much as other novels. So I don't think I'll be changing my writing pace, but what I have been thinking about is putting out shorter chapters which will lead to faster updates and lead to my novel being more exposed to readers due to 1. faster and more frequent updates, 2. exposure on the ScribbleHub homepage for updates, 3. exposure on novelupdates for having new chapters more frequently.

Been thinking about it for awhile, but I don't know if people will mind that my chapters are going to be basically half as short (about 1500 words) as opposed to usually being about 3000 words.

:sweating_profusely: Yoinks.

What's everyone's opinion on the matter? If you were a reader, would you prefer faster and more frequent updates but shorter chapters or would you prefer slower updates but longer chapters?

HonestMistake

Personally, I don't really care. As long as the author is active, and doesn't suddenly drop of the face of the net while I'm waiting for a weekly update, I don't care whan I get my chapter. Though, if shorter chapters work better exposure wise for you, do it.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I don't think readers mind anyway. If you're changing part way through the story, you could also add a note at the end of your last long chapter and announce it to the readers. If you want to, you can even give an explanation of why you're doing it so they can understand your decision better.
Actually, you could even ask on your next update what your readers think about it. Their opinion is probably the most important (after your own).

TLCsDestiny

Hey guys, so I've been noticing a few things about the novels on ScribbleHub, and I've seen that my average word count per chapter is about twice as much as other novels. So I don't think I'll be changing my writing pace, but what I have been thinking about is putting out shorter chapters which will lead to faster updates and lead to my novel being more exposed to readers due to 1. faster and more frequent updates, 2. exposure on the ScribbleHub homepage for updates, 3. exposure on novelupdates for having new chapters more frequently.

Been thinking about it for awhile, but I don't know if people will mind that my chapters are going to be basically half as short (about 1500 words) as opposed to usually being about 3000 words.

What's everyone's opinion on the matter? If you were a reader, would you prefer faster and more frequent updates but shorter chapters or would you prefer slower updates but longer chapters?

In my own opinion of a writer, I put my books into real books, so I don't particularly want chapters too short. Just imagining the start of a chapter ending on the next page sorta freaks me out...lol. I've found that 2000 words (give a hundred or two) is pretty decent and looks alright when I make the book, so I'd suggest 2000 words minimum.
As a reader, I hate short chapters, especially when it's not a daily update...
Again, that is just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 5560

Aaah, this is a really hard question and there's no easy, blanket answer IMO.

In my opinion, the frequency of updates doesn't matter so much as the regularity and reliability of updates. If you tell your readers "the story will update MWF", and reliably keep to that schedule, not only do they know exactly what days they can expect an update and so know they can check in on that story on those days, but that they are guaranteed an update because you, the author, have reliably kept to the schedule.

A higher frequency of updates can influence a lot of things, but post notably pacing. Serialised fiction is tough, because you have to balance two wholly different sets of pacing: the pacing from updates, and the pacing for binge readers. A story can seem like it's going fairly slow if you're reading 1-2 chapter updates a week, but then if you go back and binge through the story in one sitting, it can actually feel like it's moving incredibly fast, with one thing happening after another as each chapter needs to have its own kind of story hook.

But then there are also people like me, who finds it hard to keep up with stories that update too often. I'll often put aside novels that have incredibly frequent updates, and just binge them when they've accrued like new 50 chapters. For myself, I prefer stories that have about 2-3 updates a week. This is because I'm often reading multiple novels at a time, but have a limited amount of time in which I can read, so if I'm reading 10 novels, and they all post at least one chapter daily, that's at least 70 chapters a week.

Sooo to me, there's no answer to "how often should I update". Each story, as it aims to deliver a different kind of story, is going to have it's own best release frequency. I have a 1-2 chapter a week update because my novel is literally called "Slow" Healing Life Online, and the goal isn't to make an exciting novel with new twists and developments and unfolding drama, it's meant to be a light, easygoing story you can check in on once or twice a week, without any kind of serious strife that's going to keep you anxiously waiting to see how it resolves. But your story has lots of twists and turns, one after another, so that kind of slower release schedule wouldn't mesh well with the narrative style.

I think a medium release schedule that gives readers time to breathe between each new development might be better? MWF is a good release schedule because it is easy for both writers and readers to remember, and if you are building a buffer of chapters, it gives you the weekends off.

TL;DR others might disagree, but I think a reliable, predictable schedule that readers can learn and depend on is a better way to maintain audience retention than simply how often updates are.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ

Shorter chapters feel like filler chapters to be honest. However, at the end of the day, I think an author should write according to their style. Don't cheat your fans by posting a chapter just so you could post something. Post short or long chapters that will help your story move along.

BunkerMonk

I say take whichever leads to higher quality. When your story is finished being told, how good it is matters far more than how big it is. If you need that many words to get your point across than use that method if it needs less use that one. Basically, you do you, don't get swept up with what others are doing. It will tire you out paying attention to everyone else for no real benefit to yourself.

sage61

Normally I would have voted shorter and faster updates, but since you have already started out with longer and slower updates, it's better to just stick to longer chapters even though the frequency updates is lesser. This is because after getting used to reading long chapters, when the new chapters becomes shorter, I would feel like I'm being cheated somehow... Also, when the chapters feels like it's becomes too short, I might decide to hold on to the stories for binge reading instead.

But honestly though, as long as the story is active, even if it's only a chapter per week, eventually readers would come running in, since after some time the high word count would attract binge readers like me.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Reading short chapters doesn't even feel like reading to me. It's half like someone's written a short journal entry. You just get started reading it, and bam, you're done.
Frequent chapters are good, but keep in mind that if your work is quality, people will be willing to wait if you do longer chapters.
As a writer, I find writing short chapters difficult, too. I can't fit much into 1000 words, but if it's 3500 (what I am for each chap) I can write a nice chunk of story. writing 1000 or less... every chapter would end in the middle of a conversation or in the middle of events, like a cliffhanger every chapter. It's just annoying.

Lukha

mother of all ships
I guess the only valid reason I have for cutting chapters in half was more exposure, but otherwise, my writing amount, quality, and such shouldn't be affected. Since it's the same amount of writing. I think I'll probably go with flucket's idea and do a MWF release schedule. Thanks for the input guys!

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
The readers would definitely prefer a 2k chapter in 2 days than a 6k chapter in 6 days.

Chiisutofupuru

If you're consistent, and readers know when you're uploading, that's probably the best way to do it.
Otherwise I don't think it would matter too much.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
As a reader I prefer to read stories that are entertaining. As a writer I prefer to write out a chapter with a beginning, a middle and an ending. I don't think about word count at all.

Jemini

I simply cannot imagine myself being able to write anything up to the quality I like to keep without having it be at least 2,500 words at minimum. Longer chapters really make for more ability to flesh out thoughts and write more involved scenes, so choking down the length of your chapters will affect the writing quality regardless.

That said, I did notice the same thing as you. My solution was to put together a writing schedule that works for me in my current situation. I happen to have the luxury of currently being able to push 3 chapters during the week (monday, wednsday, and friday) and, while it's a little hellish some days, I even decided to push myself to get out a regular 2-day 2-chapters release by putting out one on the weekend (saturday or sunday) since I saw my numbers climb higher on the second day of the double releases quite frequently in the earlier days. (that pattern changed as soon as I broke the 1,000 view line though)

Really though, my thoughts on the matter is that consistency is the more important thing, as well as informing the readers on what your schedule would be. The reason for frequent releases is that you are trying to get exposure and climb in the view counts. However, once you have established yourself somewhat, it would likely be more valuable to set a reasonable schedule for yourself and inform your readers of what your schedule is. Either tell them your releases are every X number of days, or tell them that you will always put out a release on X day(s) of the week. If you do the former, it will also help to tell them the exact date the next chapter will come out in an author's note at the bottom of the page. For the latter, you only have to tell your readers once unless your situation changes and you need to alter your schedule.

Really though, I think the importance of frequent releases is more to just gain viewers fast. If you don't have a reason to climb quickly and you don't mind just gradually gaining, infrequent releases could actually be better. I have actually seen some of the really good series have a fantastic result from infrequent releases where they will spike all the way up to the top 10 on the one day that they release their very infrequent chapters. This effect can be harnessed and enhanced if you plan your release ahead of time and give your readers a heads-up.