Would you read a fantasy diary?

Sunrhae

Heya Folks!

I would like your opinion on something. I'm currently writing Journey through Ausra. It's a fantasy story written with entries, just like a diary. Just like a real diary, some entries are short and some longer and I don't know how often I will make a release.

As a reader, do you think it's bothersome or annoying not having consistency throughout the story?
Do you find this type of format interesting? What expectation do you have in this type of format?

I'm planning to have a guest featured later on in the story. Some readers will have the opportunity to be part of the story as a character and will be able to influence some aspect of the plot. Would you be interested in this type of event?

I know where I go in the storyline and the kind of story I want to craft, but I also feel insecure about my writing. That's why I would like to ask for your opinion.

Thanks! o(〃^▽^〃)o

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I would read that. I think diaries story could work well since it's different to other story formats. Of course, the success of the story would depend on what happens and how you write it.

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
It really depends on how well it was writen. For me it's irritating for my emmerson to be broken. So I tend to only read novels with chapter lengths that have a bare minimum of 2k words. Chapter length aside, are the chapters that cover noteworthy events going to be handled more akin to a flashback or will they be just a more in depth summary?

Sunrhae

It really depends on how well it was writen. For me it's irritating for my emmerson to be broken. So I tend to only read novels with chapter lengths that have a bare minimum of 2k words. Chapter length aside, are the chapters that cover noteworthy events going to be handled more akin to a flashback or will they be just a more in depth summary?

The beginning is pretty slow to show the personality of my MC. The first journal will be more a slice of life rather than a proper fantasy adventure. For now, my longest entry has 1.6K words; they are all pretty short. It's one entry a day and the MC can write several times a day, so noteworthy events are described in depth shortly after. It keeps some liveliness. I have around 13 entries in stock so I can post for the next 2 weeks pretty much every day.

To be honest, Journey is a side story of the serie of books I'm writing. Journey is from the perspective of another MC, even the tone is a bit different. Journey helps me put the foundation of my world and is a bit a test run.

Hopetoread

Yes, and i have already read what you have uploaded to this point of time and enjoy it so far. As for any possible constructive critic of the form , i will have to wait until there is a larger body of work to evaluate

Last edited:

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Diaries can work, but it's difficult to keep steady story flow, which can make it hard for the reader to maintain interest. I know I got bored of the Diary of Erika Kron (or something like that) on RR.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Seems similar to That One Time the Essay a Child Wrote over Summer Break was Way too Fantasy, i wouldnt mind reading a diary of someone in a fantasy world

Sunrhae

Seems similar to That One Time the Essay a Child Wrote over Summer Break was Way too Fantasy, i wouldnt mind reading a diary of someone in a fantasy world

I've never heard of it, I'll check it out. ^v^

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
hmm if 'twas written well, I see no problem on reading them

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Yes I would, again only if well written and stuff

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Scifi one is nice too