Would You Read Stories with Real-life Setting?

Your answer:

• Yes

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Yesn't

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Dunno

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I do. Real-life can offer more than what it usually seems. Of course, the twist is important to make it stand out.

SailusGebel

I would. But it depends on what is the main focus of the novel. If it's another fluffy slice of life\vanilla romance or a story centered around gl or bl then I wouldn't bother. But if it's something new or a fresh look at the old things then I would check it. A great example is OreGairu. But even greater examples are two mangas Asper Kanojo and Daughter's Friend. I would check it because new things would make me take a new look at my own life and the things I learned. Maybe change my opinion on certain things. A well-written story can be a good teacher.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Mine is a blend of real life and fanfiction. I went back to a day in my life where I could have met Seto Kaiba if he was a real person. Lots of people do this sort of wish fulfillment in a school setting, but mine is from a date with my boyfriend. 😇

Watchman

No because if I wanted depression all I have to do is look at the news

TRNRLogan

I don't seek it out but I'll read stuff set in real life. Mostly romance.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I normally do. I like real-life settings, especially in romance. There's nothing wrong with wanting to sit back and experience the life of another that's completely different than your own. I also like fantasy and such too. But there's something that's a bit rewarding if you find a story that feels realistic and has a great atmosphere. Like simple stories about families coming together, friends becoming lovers, people overcoming everyday scenarios, and more. Those kinds of stories give life to the mundane and are easily relatable. I actively search them out. But there are the times that I just want something unrealistic and fun too. Even in fantasy, I would like to see some moments that are real-life themed. Like friends having banters that I can relate to. :blob_melt:

Undeadd

Ehh... every now and then when I find something that catches my interest... but I prefer the real life meets fantasy type of stories

Sii

I enjoy them every now and then. And I absolutely couldn't avoid hitting yesn't. Yesn't

My Metus story is set in a peudo-Vegas where I mention the city, which I know about because I used to live there, but I keep it murky and muddled on purpose.

I always enjoy seeing real life settings, even more so when I see somewhere I lived or have intimate knowledge about. It heightens the reading experience for me.

Stratothrax

I'm too much of a fantasy addict to read something real life based, I pretty much wont read something unless it has at least a small element of fantasy.

HJ

Because I want to?

Nah. More like it fits the genre that I am writing. :blob_hmm_two:
Slice of life, romance and fluff, hurt and comfort. I just want a loving story where the ML is not abusive to the MC, and where there is no glorification of rape, no Stockholm syndrome, no bleeding hearts. I'm done with that shit.

miyoga

I think it definitely depends on the story that's being told.

If having the setting take place in our current world, or a similar alternative (i.e. our world but with magic or in the year XXXX), is fine as long as it serves a purpose. If you just want to write a story then you need to look at the details going into it to determine if the "real world" is your main setting or if it's more on the side. Similarly, it makes sense to do a blended world where you create portions and then overlay them onto the world as we know it.

Like most others have said "use it if it fits your genre" and while it applies to writers, it can be adapted to "read it if it piques your interest" for those who simply enjoy the wordcrafting of others. I'm just as likely to read a historical fiction novel as I am a high fantasy one as long as the story is enough to hold my interest.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
The only form of modern/real-life settings I read are when magic/fantasy is somehow introduced. So, Modern Fantasy? Urban Fantasy? Magic-Realism? Not sure if that fits those three genre's but anyway. I once tried to write it, mine being a closer example of Magic-Realism based on a dude living in a small fictional town in a midwestern state in US, where suddenly everyone within a certain age-bracket in that town randomly developed an assortment of abilities. I tried to make it generic like DBZ type abilities. Extremely destructive and powerful teenagers basically. The problem I ran into that made me quit it before releasing it to the public was I couldn't seem to make the Real World government a potent enough threat without them resorting to blackmail/hostage situations with their family members or something else similar that only indirectly threatened them. Essentially, by having them randomly become city-destroyers overnight, I ramped the too high up on the power scale too quickly and I wanted it to be that way, but still ran into the same problems of having no local threats. I didn't want to immediately leap into the super powered teens fighting eachother until later because I planned to reveal similar instances happening elsewhere in the world but wanted a more local conflict to set it all off. Couldn't create a local conflict convincing enough for me to branch off into a wider conflict so the story fell by the wayside.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
To have something even moderately local in a modern world, you'd need to somehow cut communications tbh.

Small events might be isolated but superheroes is big.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Reading is like my form of escapism. Real life reminds me of all the things I can’t accomplish or am just too incompetent to do, so my preferred genre is fantasy. I still find real life settings enjoyable and read them quite often but I get bored or depressed if they hit a little too close to home.