Writing as a Job

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist • African Warlord
I am actually against writing for pro. For me, writing is a hobby and doing it for money would taint the motivation that I started doing it. however, let's be realistic, money does help, but writing for money... wouldn't be as fun as doing.
I have no plans to use writing as my passive income. Then again, I have no plans for anything as my passive income. I am in my thirties and this is really poor financial planning.
This... I feel this in my soul. We really are poor financial planners lmao xD

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I honestly prefer reading more than writing, so I won't ever be writing professionally. The only reason I've been writing novels in the first place is because I ran out of books to read and also after I read some bad webnovels where I hated how some plot stories goes/ended and so I decided to write out what I preferred to read about instead. I have a really bad habit of procrastination, so most of my novels never gets completed. I used to post my stories at Textnovel.com but then stopped after the site went dead. After that, I've never posted any of my stories online every again.
I see my future.

EternalSunset0

Probably not as an intended job that I'll actively work on or strive for, but if I wrote something and it clicks, why not? Especially once the TV/movie/video game adaptations start coming in, it would be a dream.

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I am actually against writing for pro. For me, writing is a hobby and doing it for money would taint the motivation that I started doing it. however, let's be realistic, money does help, but writing for money... wouldn't be as fun as doing.

This... I feel this in my soul. We really are poor financial planners lmao xD
I mean if you enjoy it and get money from it as well, win-win right? Its like gaming.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I'd love to make writing my source of income, but atm I have trouble just writing consistently, let alone having high quality and popularity. But maybe in the future, I can manage it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I see the successful ones with their patreon making more than me monthly and I am gnawing on my calculator now.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I used to Ghost write, but the era has passed. The days you could get 8 cents a word are over. Self-publishing is the way to go and you need to find a decent editor.

Toripuru-S

Yes. Already discussed with a site about writing for money. Unfortunately, Ai-chan needs to finish a new book first before Ai-chan can make use of that negotiation.

And no, it's not webnovel, cloud something or whatever else would contact you out of the blue offering a contract. It's a proper company that Ai-chan had to send the early manuscript to and ask if they'd be interested.
Nice! Hope that works out for ya! 👏
Will any of you write professionally in the future? I treat writing as a hobby that can be used for money in the future while I'm working towards my degrees. I think of this site as a place to practice my writing and to get in the hobby of updating and being more consistent in stuff I want to do, all while hoping the habit spreads to other parts of my life. Though I have no idea if people even really like my writing that much lol.
If it were ever an option, sure that would be nice ♥️, but I'm content with how things are right now ❤️. I don't mind if it is never an option.

It would obviously be a self-publishing thing, but I have thought about trying to eventually sell ebooks 👀 and see how that goes.

Last edited:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I don't see myself becoming a writer. I'm more of a publishing/localizing person I think. I lack the motivation to write down my ideas and rather improve what's already there. (Which turns me writing into editing hell xD )

It's fun and good training for editing as well as translation skills, tho. So I'll at least work to finally posting something (to get mauled by negative reviews most likely). 🤣

lambenttyto

If it flops, I'll go for something else, but that's my current goal.
Money or no, I'll always be a writer, though I might not write as much in the future if I have to do something else, lol. But the dream...
Trying to find an agent and failing miserably.
Harry Potter failed miserably. And then suddenly it didn't. Luck is a thing. It happens.

Kuropon

Already am, and the webnovel game is that great... It's like you have to constantly write or you will run out of chapers. There is never a finish like and you continuesly fear that if you end a story you might never get back your old patreon count. But on the other hand if you can casually pump out many words a day you could just prewrite everything in a month and take the next off, it all depends on you and how well you can get through it.