Writing For a Mute Character

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
I have a question for readers and writers alike: How can one effectively write for a character who is mute—as their only form of language may be sign language. As a reader what would be aesthetically pleasing to see?

Option 1:
Nin-Nin signed several signals using his hands, conversing to Azlyn what he wanted interpreted. She gauged what he wanted said and turned to the group.
“He says we should go west.”
or
Option 2:
Nin-Nin signed, Go west from here.
Azlyn nodded, and then she reiterated what he wanted to the group.

I only ask because I have a character in a story of mine who is mute and conversations around him typically involve sign language or if he has time, to write it out.
I’ve thought about different styles and ways but I wanted to get a better collective understanding. Just wanted to get some insight. Thank you :)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I have a question for readers and writers alike: How can one effectively write for a character who is mute—as their only form of language may be sign language. As a reader what would be aesthetically pleasing to see?

Option 1:
Nin-Nin signed several signals using his hands, conversing to Azlyn what he wanted interpreted. She gauged what he wanted said and turned to the group.
or
Option 2:

I only ask because I have a character in a story of mine who is mute and conversations around him typically involve sign language or if he has time, to write it out.
I’ve thought about different styles and ways but I wanted to get a better collective understanding. Just wanted to get some insight. Thank you :)
I wouldnt use the standard "" for their dialogue. I would use hyphens. Just place the sign and write what they intend to "say" to distinguish them from everyone else.

Like for example:
"What's your favorite color?"
--The color of your eyes, baby.
"...I'm wearing sunglasses."
--A bikini, too. I intend to have fun taking both off later.

See?

That's most pleasing to me, anyway. And it wont make me forget the fact they arent actually speaking.

Monk_Origins

All Tessa got as a response for her genius plan was a raised eye brow from the mute Monk.
"What do you mean it won't work? I calculated for every single possibility! Theese SoB will regret the day they were born."
He took his glaive with a sigh, clearly resigned to his fate.
"Come on, brother, you need to have more faith in me. We will pull through!"

I think first one is better, as long as you don't pull out the interpreter card every other sentence. As long as we are not explaining complex ideas, most information can be conveyed by using only body language, even without using hand signs or gestures.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You could also use «guillemets» to enclose dialogue in sign language. I'm using them for telepathic communication in my story along with italics. Plain italics are for internal thoughts not shared with others, so «guillemets» draw attention to the fact that those thoughts are shared with others. I keep «guillemets» handy to copy and paste in my notes file.

I initially wanted to use <single angle brackets> like I saw in Animorphs as a child, but some sites don't allow <single angle brackets> to appear in text because they're also used in code.

MajorKerina

I had a great time with writing a deaf/mute character for a magical library story. I actually love writing body language.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
These are excellent suggestions, thank you everyone! Sorry for not responding earlier—been busy all day! :)
I appreciate the feedback!

Suzumiya

Option 1:
or
Option 2:

Nin-Nin motioned in Ukrainian Sign Language to Azlyn, implying he should interpret. She gleaned his meaning and turned to the group.

Azlyn nodded, then reiterated what Nin-Nin wanted to the group.

Were it me, I would make special note for the following things:
  • Always use active language.
  • Keywords: "motion; sign; signal; gesture; mime." The rest of the words with similar meaning are not active or short enough for my liking.
  • Body language is easy to miss. Sign Language will, as a rule, be easy to miss or ignore.
  • A person must be patient to effectively use or interpret Sign Language, because it is often slower and precludes certain attempts at multitasking. [Have to put the boxes down to signal aggressively.]
Other than that--though it's not something you asked about--I wonder if people who sign would be more inclined towards feeling unheard, unappreciated, disrespected, alone, etcetera.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
Nin-Nin motioned in Ukrainian Sign Language to Azlyn, implying he should interpret. She gleaned his meaning and turned to the group.

Azlyn nodded, then reiterated what Nin-Nin wanted to the group.

Were it me, I would make special note for the following things:
  • Always use active language.
  • Keywords: "motion; sign; signal; gesture; mime." The rest of the words with similar meaning are not active or short enough for my liking.
  • Body language is easy to miss. Sign Language will, as a rule, be easy to miss or ignore.
  • A person must be patient to effectively use or interpret Sign Language, because it is often slower and precludes certain attempts at multitasking. [Have to put the boxes down to signal aggressively.]
Other than that--though it's not something you asked about--I wonder if people who sign would be more inclined towards feeling unheard, unappreciated, disrespected, alone, etcetera.
There’s something here that I’ve considered as well; there are different dialects to Sign Language, such as the difference between American Sign Language to Ukrainian Sign Language. That would change how someone would sign—however I’m not sure what dialect of sign an Eorzean would use in FFXIV. (This is for the story / fanfic). I’ll probably have to do some more research into that to see if I can find specific details regarding the common language.

I, unfortunately, cannot speak for those who sign as their primary language. That’d be an assumption I’d rather not make. I have, however, worked with special needs students who were non-verbal. From my experience as their teacher and advocate for their communicative needs, they grew up as happy and energetic as any other kid in their grade and age group.

edit:: also I should note that your suggestion of action words are definitely important to note. I definitely need to work more on that.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My mute characters work in a way that most of the scenes are just deciphering what they do. The main characters simply do things by themselves and their interactions are no more than pointing at a specific direction or a side character picking up their habits and understanding them overtime.

Instead of pushing for conversations I'd rather there be this observer/subject dichotomy that not only bonds the readers to the side characters AS observers but retains a certain level of uncertainty and mystique towards the mute main characters. When the side characters understands and pins down their habits, so do the readers, building a sort of "bond" within the POVs.

The downside is that I can't write from the mute character's OWN pov, lest I break the image and reveal too much. When the mute main character accepts or trusts another character, they don't explicitly show it, but rather, they break their usual habits and show intimacy through their peculiar behaviour, as opposed to their usual antics.

OneSixSeven

Advocate of Headpatting and Handholding
I would like to ask that question...Mute Character's POV.