Writing Habits That You Can't Break

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Whenever I write, I usually use the word "as" too much in my stories, and I often go over and remove a bunch of my uses of it before I publish a draft.

This habit made me think though: what bad writing habits do you have that, no matter what you do, you can't quite seem to shake?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i pants my stories way too hard. i have a plan and an outline, it's just the middle part are like boxes of legos. everytime i craft one i always feel like i could craft better ones and end up deleting k's worths of paragraphs just so i could brainstorm even more

aree

Whenever I write, I usually use the word "as" too much in my stories, and I often go over and remove a bunch of my uses of it before I publish a draft.

This habit made me think though: what bad writing habits do you have that, no matter what you do, you can't quite seem to shake?

this can be corrected with dedication and hard work. In my case, it was AS and But.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
None. I used passive sentences a lot, but it's fixed now.
Another one I'm fixing is to use think/believe too much, as well as feel.

D

Deleted member 3426

My bad writing habit is writing too slowly. I know I can edit later, and I do edit later, but I edit as I go anyway, erasing a lot.
I totally understand!!!

And my bad habit is thinking so freaking long about how I’m going to write the scene even though I have it planned out already. Pair that up with editing as I go, and that’s how I produce 1 chapter/week. LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:

Arexio

Coffee Addict

Oh just remembered, I do this all the time even though I am a native speaker.

I use "had" way too much. :blob_no::blob_no::blob_no:

I believe many native speakers also have the same problem. They use past perfect when simple past is more than sufficient (https://www.dailywritingtips.com/has-vs-had/).

Polarize4777

my problem is just the fact that I was never taught grammar, and only acquire bits of it from listening and reading books. Future, past, and present tenses get me so hard lol. It takes a lot of effort for me to catch myself when i pull one of these in my draft writing.

Daichi

Trying to make conversation sound formal even when there is no need.

Steelz

I tend to switch tenses in between. It is something which I can fix really but I sometimes don't bother with it.