Writing Livestream Poll

I would be willing to livestream my writing for other people to see.

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
This is an idea where writers will post links to their documents so that other people could watch them as they write. The links will be posted in the Scribble Hub Discord server. These links would preferably be links to Google Docs but if you want to do Twitch or other platforms then I would recommend that you make sure that the majority of people would be able to access it and watch. I wanted to get an idea of who would be willing to livestream their writing.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/vpxWXQd

Last edited:

Ispheria

Staff member
I voted no because I wouldn't live stream it. My speed is slow and writing boring.

But I don't have anything against the idea and would probably watch someone Livestream their writing if I had nothing else to do. Or just as something to have up on the side.

ddrhckrzz

I think it can be entertaining depending on the person and whether or not they would be willing to commentate and all that. Personally, I would be willing to commentate and interact with people, I'm just not sure if there'd be much people interested in viewing in the first place.

SleepingFox

It's an interesting idea... but, there so much stuff going on behind the screens (going through notes, preparing timeline/whats going on with other characters) that I'm simply not willing to show readers due to completely ruining suspense.

Personally, I'm not exactly willing to livestream it so...
Meh, I gonna have to vote 'no'.

ddrhckrzz

It's an interesting idea... but, there so much stuff going on behind the screens (going through notes, preparing timeline/whats going on with other characters) that I'm simply not willing to show readers due to completely ruining suspense.

Personally, I'm not exactly willing to livestream it so...
Meh, I gonna have to vote 'no'.

This makes me wonder, can't you just hide those things? Like, you can just record the window of the draft itself and nothing else, it's doable in OBS as far as I've done it. That is, if you're streaming, if not, then the gdoc link to the thing could just be on the draft itself.

Though I do understand that it's not something easily doable. It would be rather difficult to make it entertaining after all, especially if the people are just going to keep asking for spoilers and such.

MagicKing

I would do it, but i don't know if anyone would watch it? I'm quite slow and step away to think and ask myself about what i'm writing.

I don't know if a writing live stream is interesting at all, i wouldn't watch myself doing this e.e.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
I think it can be entertaining depending on the person and whether or not they would be willing to commentate and all that. Personally, I would be willing to commentate and interact with people, I'm just not sure if there'd be much people interested in viewing in the first place.
I also agree with Drei about how it can be entertaining depending on the person/commentary.

And this kind of structure doesn't have to be anything rigid. People can write about whatever they want/what the audience wants/random prompts/etc.

I think it'd be interesting 1) watching someone write live and see their thought processes and 2) interacting as an audience member on Discord.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
Personally, I wouldn't mind doing such a stream, but I kind of doubt it would be really entertaining.
I don't like distractions while writing so interacting actively with anyone watching wouldn't be an option outside of breaks.

I also know that some people like to hoard a few chapters in advance, so if they write on their current story people might get spoilered rather heavily. Even if it'd be the next chapter, depending on how many corrections and errors you make you might accidentally reveal settings you didn't want to show yet in hindsight.

I guess it would depend heavily on the person doing the stream.

white_crow

This got a forum thread? In any case, if people want to watch and people want to stream then it's not like it'll kill anyone. Don't want spoilers then don't watch.

Personally, I wouldn't mind streaming my writing to anyone interested. Probably no one interested in watchng though.

As an aside, is there any point to the poll? It's not like it means anything, and anyone who wants to express their opinion on it will just post a reply.

Lukha

mother of all ships
Honestly, I think this would be interesting! I’m a writer who plots as I write so it would be super interesting to see people's writing processes!
Although, just like Rinne, I don't really like distractions because I get into a zone and block out everything and everyone while I write usually. :sweating_profusely:

However, I think it would be fun to have a streaming showcase for SH. Maybe where members on SH can have their work featured by streaming something, whether it be fanart for a story they love or fanart for their own stories! Or maybe they want to do a QA with characters from a novel they're writing so that people can interact with their favorite characters! I think that'll garner more interest from people if they have the ability to be more creative with the content they can stream.

Sooo basically, like have a featured story for the week. Maybe showcase it on the front homepage and have an announcement about what time the stream will be and where (like a link to the stream). Therefore the story can have exposure before the stream so more people can be prompted to read it so maybe there'll be more participation in the stream kinna thing. Idk though. I'm good at ideas but bad at fleshing them out. :blob_hmm_two:

ddrhckrzz

Honestly, I think this would be interesting! I’m a writer who plots as I write so it would be super interesting to see people's writing processes!
Although, just like Rinne, I don't really like distractions because I get into a zone and block out everything and everyone while I write usually. :sweating_profusely:
Yeah, with all this, it shows that the whole streaming part can really depend on the writer involved. Honestly, I think it'd be fun if there were like, a bunch of people doing streams at the same time, all of them talking to each other, so you could watch one person, and you'd be able to hear them talking with the other authors and such and see them interacting as they all write at the same time. There could also be questions thrown at the authors as they go and multiple people could answer them, making it all interesting.

The reason why I'm saying multiple streams but all of the authors talking to each other and all that is so that people can have a choice as to whose stuff they'll be watching/reading as they go along. Though this can also all be done with just 1 stream, but I think it'd be better if that were just a main hub of sorts, if that makes sense.

However, I think it would be fun to have a streaming showcase for SH. Maybe where members on SH can have their work featured by streaming something, whether it be fanart for a story they love or fanart for their own stories! Or maybe they want to do a QA with characters from a novel they're writing so that people can interact with their favorite characters! I think that'll garner more interest from people if they have the ability to be more creative with the content they can stream.

Sooo basically, like have a featured story for the week. Maybe showcase it on the front homepage and have an announcement about what time the stream will be and where (like a link to the stream). Therefore the story can have exposure before the stream so more people can be prompted to read it so maybe there'll be more participation in the stream kinna thing. Idk though. I'm good at ideas but bad at fleshing them out. :blob_hmm_two:

Though I personally think that this idea can work just as well, it would be different and would be more of a showcase podcast. It could probably work well if this would include a number of prominent authors/reviewers in the community, so they can have recommendations and such. This one, I feel, is more of a community podcast thing where it would generally be summarizing stuff the community have in that period of sorts.

sage61

As a wanna be writer, watching how someone writes would be very educating. I always find it hard to stay motivated to writing continuously so being able to experience how a good writer write is something I look forward to.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
It sounds interesting but not something I'd be willing to go through while writing. I sometimes speak out the words I write down and it could be distracting if I keep on wondering if people watching would have questions and whatnot. In the first place, I have a short attention span so I would probably be liable to check more on the audience than my writing.

I wouldn't mind live streaming just to show what programs I use though. Be it in art or in writing. That might not be possible anyway considering that I have such bad internet connection that streaming, most probably, won't even be a possibility.

Arexio

Coffee Addict

Yeah, with all this, it shows that the whole streaming part can really depend on the writer involved. Honestly, I think it'd be fun if there were like, a bunch of people doing streams at the same time, all of them talking to each other, so you could watch one person, and you'd be able to hear them talking with the other authors and such and see them interacting as they all write at the same time. There could also be questions thrown at the authors as they go and multiple people could answer them, making it all interesting.

The reason why I'm saying multiple streams but all of the authors talking to each other and all that is so that people can have a choice as to whose stuff they'll be watching/reading as they go along. Though this can also all be done with just 1 stream, but I think it'd be better if that were just a main hub of sorts, if that makes sense.

Though I personally think that this idea can work just as well, it would be different and would be more of a showcase podcast. It could probably work well if this would include a number of prominent authors/reviewers in the community, so they can have recommendations and such. This one, I feel, is more of a community podcast thing where it would generally be summarizing stuff the community have in that period of sorts.
Haha maybe we should start small first and see how much interest we can garner first with just creating a new channel for it on Discord. Not everybody here will be active on Discord.

However, some of this can be end goal stuff. :blob_paint:

SleepingFox

This makes me wonder, can't you just hide those things? Like, you can just record the window of the draft itself and nothing else, it's doable in OBS as far as I've done it. That is, if you're streaming, if not, then the gdoc link to the thing could just be on the draft itself.

Though I do understand that it's not something easily doable. It would be rather difficult to make it entertaining after all, especially if the people are just going to keep asking for spoilers and such.

I mean, you probably could (I don't have much live-streaming knowledge)... but, it wouldn't exactly be entertaining to watch someone do things off screen for like half an hour before getting back to actually writing.

(If writing could be called entertaining to begin with)
Most of the time (for me) it's simply experimenting with ideas and simulating character's thought process.
Reading after you've finished the draft is often the most entertaining part of process, which usually ends with several edits and sometimes a complete rework of the draft.

Rarely, a draft/idea ends up being completely discarded because it doesn't fit well with the rest of the story... or too difficult to continue writing (or keep in mind while writing).

Sometimes what I initially write ends up being completely abandoned...

... Idk, I can understand it being entertaining to watch. Not really something I'd be willing to do though.

Last edited:

UnknownSaint171

I’ve watched a couple of ‘Writing Livestreams’ before. It does get boring and very slow at times. It would be better if the person explained their thought process when writing. Anyways, I realized that I find reading & writing a lot more useful and faster. In the end sometimes old ways are best

JayDirex

You guys are spending too much time wondering if it's a feasible idea or not. Some people may be interested just to see what it is that you are doing. but I think you all are right, it's probably not interesting.
but do it anyway!

You may be surprised at the comments and feedback you get. but don't be surprised if you don't get anything 😄

Howling Wolf Fearless Raven

AMissingLinguist

Missing member
Maybe change the poll sentence to a poll question?

As for a writing livestream, it doesn't seem feasible because of how streaming works. A livestream is meant to have an entertainer being entertaining to the audience. Watching someone type up a rough draft of their paper is not entertaining to me.

The only livestream I could imagine as close to writing as possible would be drawing art with music in the background.

I do have a few ideas on how to make a writing livestream work. The livestream could have classical music playing in the background while a writer makes up a scenario for a new story. The writer would write up a short section of text, and then someone with a very mesmerizing voice would read it to the audience. After this short audio read, the author asks the audience where the story should go next. Unfortunately, this type of livestreaming would not progress any existing story of the author due to ideas given by other forum users here.

If someone does do a writing livestream, then I wish you the best of luck.