Writing Writing stories base on songs

Aachiin0914

You guys know. Sometimes songs, though they were short and repeative carries unspeakable and deep stories within.

There's this song I really like and it talks about such incredible story. So, if I turned it into a novel, will it classified as fanfic, or original novel?

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
You guys know. Sometimes songs, though they were short and repeative carries unspeakable and deep stories within.

There's this song I really like and it talks about such incredible story. So, if I turned it into a novel, will it classified as fanfic, or original novel?
...I think it would be classified as an original story, unless you're like, quoting out the song or something.

Michuyu

I agree with the person above *-* and even if you quote the original lyrics, I think it should be fine as long as you properly credit the original artist. I'm not too sure though, since I'm not a lawyer or anything haha. I'd say go for it~

S10

It almost depends on the song.
If it is a song that tells a story then it's a fanfic.
If you are just inspired then original.

If it's a touhou song then fanfic.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If it's not in the public domain, be sure to ask for permission to reprint the lyrics.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor

Original but it would be wise to give props to the song for the plot.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

If it's only inspired by the song and not taken from a song, it is fine. How to know? If you recount every line of the lyrics as a story, that could be considered plagiarism, though this is dependent on the judge if the copyright owner brings it to court. If you put the whole lyrics in your book without permission, that could be copyright infringement.

To be safe, just include a couple of lines where appropriate and do it sparingly, something like:

My fingers feel the strings of the guitar. The song that I used to play on this guitar suddenly comes back to me and so the strummer glides across the chords, "The moon is dark and the night is warm. But dear where could you be?" The lyrics came like a river. The song we used to sing, the melodies I used to play. I guess you never forget a happy moment after all.

You see, for songs to be considered copyright infringement or plagiarism, there must be a minimum amount of words or a duration of arrangement copied that can be recognized as same or similar enough. If you do not reach this minimum, you are safe and your quoting of the song is considered a homage.