Writing support: Where to get Critique reader/ Beta readers??

cherry_boylove

Helllooo!! So I am a new author *shy* and I have just uploaded my first story (genre: boys love/bl) here. After some headaches I realised that I need some sort of reviewer for my work. But I don't have any connection or group of people who are into beta reading or editing.

So can anyone suggest some ways they cope with this particular aspect of story making? I would be very grateful.

Edit: here's the story link : How to set up the ex-husband and save the in-laws?
The story isn't as tacky as the title... 😅

Last edited:

Nneeil

Helllooo!! So I am a new author *shy* and I have just uploaded my first story (genre: boys love/bl) here. After some headaches I realised that I need some sort of reviewer for my work. But I don't have any connection or group of people who are into beta reading or editing.

So can anyone suggest some ways they cope with this particular aspect of story making? I would be very grateful.
Grammarly should solve most of your problems. It's widely used among writers.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Put a story link here and maybe some will answer your call. I think @TheIronTreeBlooms offered reviews for BL Novels sometime ago.

cherry_boylove

Grammarly should solve most of your problems. It's widely used among writers.
Actually my main problem is the story structure. I am not a planner and that sometimes interferes with the flow and reading experience. Like having a glaring issue that's not visible as a writer... Simply because I have the plot already in mind.

Queenfisher

Bird?
For this installment, around 60k. I am planning on writing 2-3k per week.

So it's not written yet? I am a bit unsure of how beta-readers can help, then. Sorry if I misunderstand... :blob_hmm_two: I thought betas (especially, as you say, focused on structure) can't tell much unless the work is finished.

I would understand being a beta for grammar or the chapter-to-chapter consistency, but the overarching plot structure... is much harder to help with on an ongoing story o_o. I think it probably can't be judged in an unfinished work. (Maybe I'm wrong, though? :blob_hmm:)

Just the general readers and critique partners would help with motivating you or noting plot holes if they see any, I think. Is that what you're proposing?

Or do you need help with the structuring plans beyond what's written? Like, prior to writing them down?

cherry_boylove

So it's not written yet? I am a bit unsure of how beta-readers can help, then. Sorry if I misunderstand... :blob_hmm_two: I thought betas (especially, as you say, focused on structure) can't tell much unless the work is finished.

I would understand being a beta for grammar or the chapter-to-chapter consistency, but the overarching plot structure... is much harder to help with on an ongoing story o_o. I think it probably can't be judged in an unfinished work. (Maybe I'm wrong, though? :blob_hmm:)

Just the general readers and critique partners would help with motivating you or noting plot holes if they see any, I think. Is that what you're proposing?

Or do you need help with the structuring plans beyond what's written? Like, prior to writing them down?
Even chapter to chapter consistency check would be very helpful. I have the overall story rough plot on hand. That's why I am looking for a long term support... Which is very taxing, I know. I have a very definitive ending for this part of the series... This one is essentially the setup. So I want to avoid any kind of inconsistencies. I have a tendency of adding too many subplots and deviating from the plot or adding infodump.

cherry_boylove

Ohh... A critique partner sounds also sounds doable. I just wanted to find someone who can spare time on a long term basis. I was not sure about the specifics... That's why used the term 😅

cherry_boylove

*dash across the city*
*weave and dodge between people*
*run upstairs*
*kicks down door*
*gets on computer*

Most readers on Scribble Hub are silent. For feedback, I recommend writing.com or WritersCafe. They both have a point system that incentivises users to leave reviews.

*breathes heavily*
*looks towards @K5Rakitan*
*thumbs up*
Wahhh... Thankyou very much... I will definitely try it. 💐

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
*dash across the city*
*weave and dodge between people*
*run upstairs*
*kicks down door*
*gets on computer*

Most readers on Scribble Hub are silent. For feedback, I recommend writing.com or WritersCafe. They both have a point system that incentivises users to leave reviews.

*breathes heavily*
*looks towards @K5Rakitan*
*thumbs up*
Haha! You beat me to it!
For a steady beta reader though, I recommend checking out the beta reader group on Goodreads.

Also, if you have supportive people in your life, friends and family are a great source to turn to. However, think carefully about how they will react to your vulnerability. I didn't feel comfortable enough sharing my work with my ex-boyfriend when I first started writing. I'm glad I knew enough to keep it to myself, because my ex was emotionally abusive and tended to stomp on my dreams in other areas. Anyway, that was over in 2014.

Now, my husband is my beta reader, and every time he reads a new chapter, it confirms to me that I made the right choice in marrying him.
Husband after reading Chapter 78: Did you have a crush on a priest?
Me: . . . yes.
Husband: . . . *kisses*

cherry_boylove

Haha! You beat me to it!
For a steady beta reader though, I recommend checking out the beta reader group on Goodreads.

Also, if you have supportive people in your life, friends and family are a great source to turn to. However, think carefully about how they will react to your vulnerability. I didn't feel comfortable enough sharing my work with my ex-boyfriend when I first started writing. I'm glad I knew enough to keep it to myself, because my ex was emotionally abusive and tended to stomp on my dreams in other areas. Anyway, that was over in 2014.

Now, my husband is my beta reader, and every time he reads a new chapter, it confirms to me that I made the right choice in marrying him.
Husband after reading Chapter 78: Did you have a crush on a priest?
Me: . . . yes.
Husband: . . . *kisses*
You and your husband are so cute. I am hesitating to share my work with my friends for this very reason, plus I write for a particular genre and I don't want any sort of conflict due to that. Plus I would feel bad for dragging them in like this.

Can you elaborate on the Goodreads thing, I am not aware of it... Should I just search and approach them?

mystearicah

Others: I have/know a BL story—
Me:
tenor (1).gif

EDIT: I’ll read it during my free time and give feedback. Have a good day! 😄

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You and your husband are so cute. I am hesitating to share my work with my friends for this very reason, plus I write for a particular genre and I don't want any sort of conflict due to that. Plus I would feel bad for dragging them in like this.

Can you elaborate on the Goodreads thing, I am not aware of it... Should I just search and approach them?
Here's a link for you: