Writing Prompt Your close friend/penpal was researching something important. They died, in their will they left you a locked box. (Read comment for rest of prompt)

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Your close friend/penpal was researching something important. Your friend seemed to be paranoid in your last couple of interactions and was institutionalized a handful of times. Last month they died, and in their will they left you a locked box. The code to the box is your birthday. Inside is a thick book called, An English translation of the Kitab al-Azif. There, on top of the book, was a note. The note read:

“My friend, I believe that this book is best left in your possession. This is the fruit of my research a translation of the Kitab al-Azif. I suggest that, if you do not read it, hide it. You can not damage it, not with acid, fire, explosions, tearing, bullets, or water. If you hide it, do it in a way that you will never be able to access it, because if not the book will find you.

The rumored Kitab al-Azif has had a couple of translations, and numerous copycats, but I believe that mine is and will be the most accurate. I was lucky to be allowed to visit the Miskatonic University's library. Which has become my second home due to my frequent visit the last 6 years.

At first when I began, I thought it would be easy to translate, and my progress seemed to confirm that. I had finished 100 of its 1,000 pages in two weeks. I thought it was just another mid-evil codex of magic and alchemy. It talked of strange beings and ancient peoples. It had a couple spells that mentioned strange gods.

That stopped after two things, I checked older English and French translations to see if there was anything I missed. My translation barely matched. Then I continued further in my translation. My god…

I don’t want to harm you so I will not go into detail. I no longer just read the horrific content, but could see, hear, smell, taste, and feel it. As if I was there myself. Still the translation was just slowed, the real issue was the visions and flashes of inspiration that I would get while resting.
They shined a light on the subtext.

It was like a twisted form of divine enlightenment. You do not want to know how I made it, and who it’s made from.

The codex never felt like the work of a sane man, and neither are those who have read it.”

What do you do?
Why did you do so?
What was the result?
If you read it, what happened?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm too curious to ignore it, and I'm not superstitious enough to believe that anything bad will happen if I read it, so I crack it open. As I read, I remember when one of my university professors handed out a story by Marquis de Sade but didn't tell us we had to read it. Being an honors class, we all read it, and the professor asked us why none of us stopped reading. After all, it wasn't an assignment. I stop reading. I go back to reading other things, but I keep the book in my desk drawer in memory of my friend. I pull it out on occasion and stroke it, thinking of my friend. It seems to purr when I do this. Perhaps the book just wanted some love.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I'm already dealing with one almighty being and multiple divine gods for this sht. I'll just sell this one on Amazon and do not give a two rats ass about it since me and bad luck is like a stalker that loves to follow me around.

She loves to make me a main character which I always avoid.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Your friend seemed to be paranoid in your last couple of interactions and was institutionalized a handful of times

sounds like most of my close friends, a lot of them stop replying one day, too

so I'd just carry on as usual

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I'd probably read it and either go insane, try to use it for good and overestimate my abilities(driving me insane), or realize that my friend was delusional and the book was nothing. That last one would be proof that I was insane though, because I don't have any friends capable of translating an old alchemical codex. I probably made them up in a fit of delusion.

Results? Madhouse, madhouse, madhouse. Or free labor and world peace, I guess?

BlackKnightX

Your close friend/penpal was researching something important. Your friend seemed to be paranoid in your last couple of interactions and was institutionalized a handful of times. Last month they died, and in their will they left you a locked box. The code to the box is your birthday. Inside is a thick book called, An English translation of the Kitab al-Azif. There, on top of the book, was a note. The note read:

“My friend, I believe that this book is best left in your possession. This is the fruit of my research a translation of the Kitab al-Azif. I suggest that, if you do not read it, hide it. You can not damage it, not with acid, fire, explosions, tearing, bullets, or water. If you hide it, do it in a way that you will never be able to access it, because if not the book will find you.

The rumored Kitab al-Azif has had a couple of translations, and numerous copycats, but I believe that mine is and will be the most accurate. I was lucky to be allowed to visit the Miskatonic University's library. Which has become my second home due to my frequent visit the last 6 years.

At first when I began, I thought it would be easy to translate, and my progress seemed to confirm that. I had finished 100 of its 1,000 pages in two weeks. I thought it was just another mid-evil codex of magic and alchemy. It talked of strange beings and ancient peoples. It had a couple spells that mentioned strange gods.

That stopped after two things, I checked older English and French translations to see if there was anything I missed. My translation barely matched. Then I continued further in my translation. My god…

I don’t want to harm you so I will not go into detail. I no longer just read the horrific content, but could see, hear, smell, taste, and feel it. As if I was there myself. Still the translation was just slowed, the real issue was the visions and flashes of inspiration that I would get while resting.

It was like a twisted form of divine enlightenment. You do not want to know how I made it, and who it’s made from.

The codex never felt like the work of a sane man, and neither are those who have read it.”

What do you do?
Why did you do so?
What was the result?
After finished reading the note, I went and opened the codex. The inside was empty, not a single word was written on it.

’Is he playing with me? Is this a prank?’ I thought.

I pondered for a while, until a sudden realization hit me.

’Could it be?’

I quickly made my way into my study, grabbed a pen, and opened the codex. I sat down on my chair and wrote something on the blank page.

It was my name…

After finished writing, I stopped and sat still, not moving a muscle. I waited and waited, and not long after, it finally came.

I suddenly felt my heart tightening up. I clutched my chest and gritted my teeth, trying to endure the excruciating pain I felt.

My eyelids started to feel heavy, and my consciousness started to drift off. Little by little, I began to drift to the world of darkness.

And then, as I expected, I woke up again…

It was—an unfamiliar cieling.

I got up into a sitting position, looked down, and stared at my two baby-like hands.

A smile crept on my face…..

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
After finished reading the note, I went and opened the codex. The inside was empty, not a single word was written on it.

’Could it be?’

I quickly made my way into my study, grabbed a pen, and opened the codex. I sat down on my chair and wrote something on the blank page.

It was my name…

After finished writing, I stopped and sat still, not moving a muscle. I waited and waited, and not long after, it finally came.

I suddenly felt my heart tightening up. I clutched my chest and gritted my teeth, trying to endure the excruciating pain I felt.

My eyelids started to feel heavy, and my consciousness started to drift off. Little by little, I began to drift to the world of darkness.

I got up into a sitting position, looked down, and stared at my two baby-like hands.

Aw, your friend left you the Death Note. How cute.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer

’Could it be?’

It was my name…

Uhm, in case you didn't know the Kitab al-Azif is the Necronomicon... so unless your reincarnation is sponsored by the Ancient Ones, perhaps you're in a coma and have gone insane?

BlackKnightX

Uhm, in case you didn't know the Kitab al-Azif is the Necronomicon... so unless your reincarnation is sponsored by the Ancient Ones, perhaps you're in a coma and have gone insane?
I have no idea what the Kitab al-Azif is. I just wrote this as a joke. Don’t take it seriously, pal. Get a few laughs every day. It will cheer you up. 😂

_oinkchan

What do you do?
Why did you do so?
What was the result?
Sometimes ignorance is bliss but I am an ambitious and greedy person and I want everything, I want to be the greatest never forgotten so I would probably open it.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Scan the pages without looking at them and post it online.
If I was going to post it, I would hire someone else to scan it. I don’t believe I can stop myself from looking due to my curiosity, or mistake.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Book of the Dead, Death Note, what's the difference?
(I'm surprised I've never seen anyone try to make that connection before, actually.)
If I was going to post it, I would hire someone else to scan it. I don’t believe I can stop myself from looking due to my curiosity, or mistake.
The other person would almost certainly look at it, though. If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself.