Your favourite fiction with sad/bittersweet ending

StainedGlassThreads

I liked the ending of the Spring in Hieron season of the podcast Friends at the Table. Skipping ahead, showing the characters at various points in the future as they adapt to a radically changed world, uncertain if the world will end up changing again outside their control, but living their lives regardless.

gluttonoussloth

As the title said. :3

Without a doubt it is easily peter merediths "the undead world
for some people it might be a happy ending since the group found safety in the end, but seeing jillybean end up alone with her stepfather after everything he put her through was just sad. The fact that her step sister, the only person to ever lover her unconditionally since the start of the apocalypse ended up dying right before they found safety and then she ended up with her stepfather, the man who tried to sell her when he first met her, exiled her and supported her execution was insane and even in the sequel series she never comes close to forgetting or accepting her death
series"

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
The Shadow Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
attack on titan, i suppose
I have several with limited spoilers.

Girl's Last Tour (Adored their journey and their acceptance. Ending made me cry buckets).
Plastic Memories (Sapient AI with limited memories. You can guess what happens:blob_teary:)
Anohana (Always sad to say goodbye)
Angel Beats (The revelation at the end, and the goodbyes people made along the way when they achieved their dreams)
86 Eighty Six (Happy, but I found it bittersweet with everything they lost along the way. War is horrible.)
View attachment 16994View attachment 16995
86 ended?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
As the title said. :3
The story Going Bovine has always stuck with me. Its about a dude who gets Mad Cow Disease and imagines he is going on this wild adventure with a cute punk-rock Angel to save the world from....i think fire giants? along with a talking gnome or something. Ends with him in the hospital surrounded by his friends and family and a whole bunch of his classmates who seem fake as fuck because they never really gave him the time of day before his disease came.

Im not even sure the disease was real, either, or if he was just being led to believe it was just so he'd give up on the quest. I like to believe it was all real, but with a book like that you never really know.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
The Three Musketeers. It is a little sad at the end because the group of four(Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'artagnan) end up going their separate ways.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
86 ended?
The anime. Season 2. I should've clarified. One of the best I've seen. Reminded me alot of Aldnoah Zero without all the weird villains popping up every 3 pico seconds, and better emotional drive overall. Hiroyuki Sawano slayed with the music in BOTH as well.
I second this, favorite manga ever.
Yeah. I loved it so much. It's one of those mangas/anime/pieces of media that you can't immediately move on from. So much to interpret, so many things to appreciate and pick apart. The setting, tone, characters, their goal, tribulations and the ending made it one of the best.

The setting reminded me of BLAME's, but here it's so much more of a personal journey.

The extra chapter utterly destroyed me as well (The author's thanks). That illustration of them holding hands/finding themselves in a field made me feel so happy and sad for them, since we can guess that they... well... you know.

Last edited: