Your response to injustice

Between retribution and compensation which will you choose?

• Total voters

Thief

Considering this scenario.
The MC has been wronged the entire novel. At the end of the novel, she is allowed one wish.

Either she chooses to condemn her abusers but wouldn’t be compensated for her suffering
Or she can get compensated but the wrong-doers are not punished.

For a specific example:
The female lead was abused her entire life.

She can choose to make her abusers suffer but she would live on carrying the mental scars to the rest of her life. Being anxious about the dark, the humid, the tight space as she was locked up there. Being lonely and unable to trust anyone anymore.

Or She can either choose to end her misery and not be harmed anymore. Her abuser would not be punished in anyway except by their conscience.

Which one will you want her to choose?
Compensation, the wrong doers can just be let be . But only If there is a actual way of healing this mc as compensation and not the 'end it all' ultimate, if the only way to end her sufferings is litterly to end it all, then it's better if the wrong doers are punished and suffer
Main priority is for this girl to get healthy or happy and if not then of course the culprit has to suffer
And I'm not speaking this in a putting myself in the girls shoe sort of way either
If it were me , i would choose neither because I don't have a opinion on anything, why would anything even matter la

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
As a reader I would prefer the girl make that choice herself. Whichever she prefers, since I haven’t read the story I wouldn’t know her personality.

what I want is the choice to make sense for her character.
Yes. She will make the choice but what do you feel she should make? That’s the question I want to know.

Ranty-cat

No. These are not consequence of making the wish. If I can make another example, it would be like this.

A girl has a limited-edition ice cream that is only in the world and absolutely delicious.

For absolutely no reason, the nearby fucker intentionally pushed her hand, and the ice cream fell onto the ground.

Now she has one wish.

Would you advise her to wish for the ice cream back?

Or would you rather her wish the fucker have the worst diarrhea for a week?

One wish will leave the abuser unpunished. The other will punish the abuser but she wouldn’t be able to eat the delicious ice cream.

It’s important to note. This is not concerning you. This is concerning a girl you saw. Would you want her to satisfy with the momentary catharsis of vengeance or would you rather she be compensated properly?

Whatever way she chooses, the abusers are no longer bullying her. This is just a wish at the aftermath when the damage is already done.

I see. If it was me, I would ask her to have proper compensation.

Yes, I understand you guys’ sentiment. However, my question involves the life of that girl. Would you suggest she takes her vengeance for your sense of justice and leave her scarred? Or would you ask her to be happy instead?
I see. In that case, it really depends on her character and her personality and her philosophy. We need to know more about the character to predict her judgement. Whatever decision she makes, she must stay in-character. Or there needs to be a character development to show that she changed her views.
I admit this question is not 100% clear. It’s in the spirit of something like.

The girl is poisoned with a vile toxin that would put her in perpetual pain for as long as she lives.

Should you advise her to choose the option to have her condition cured?
Or should you tell her to choose to wish the unknown person who poisoned her to share her fate?

This is what I mean by retribution or compensation.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Considering this scenario.
The MC has been wronged the entire novel. At the end of the novel, she is allowed one wish.

Either she chooses to condemn her abusers but wouldn’t be compensated for her suffering
Or she can get compensated but the wrong-doers are not punished.

For a specific example:
The female lead was abused her entire life.

She can choose to make her abusers suffer but she would live on carrying the mental scars to the rest of her life. Being anxious about the dark, the humid, the tight space as she was locked up there. Being lonely and unable to trust anyone anymore.

Or She can either choose to end her misery and not be harmed anymore. Her abuser would not be punished in anyway except by their conscience.

Which one will you want her to choose?

Edit:
Whatever way she chooses, the abusers are no longer bullying her. This is just a wish at the aftermath when the damage is already done.

Yes, I understand you guys’ sentiment. However, my question involves the life of that girl. Would you suggest she takes her vengeance for your sense of justice and leave her scarred? Or would you ask her to be happy instead?

I admit this question is not 100% clear. It’s in the spirit of something like.

The girl is poisoned with a vile toxin that would put her in perpetual pain for as long as she lives.

Or should you tell her to choose to wish the unknown person who poisoned her to share her fate?

This is what I mean by retribution or compensation.
buddy i read all that and it seems to me IT DOESNT FUCKING MATTER.

Like, what "compensation" are we talking about? what reward, or cure? You never make it clear she actually gets her mental scars healed in any way except for maybe her personally letting go of these feelings. Which is just a cheap ass way of saying she gets nothing at all and her abusers arent punished.

In that case, PUNISH THEM. Like thats the only real option here. Its not about lettin go of your hatred. Its not about realizing punishing them wont make you whole again. Its about those fuckers getting what they deserve.

Forgiveness is between them and God, im just the guy who sends them His way.

It they didnt wanna suffer they shouldna fucked with me. Yeah? Exactly. The MC is their Karma

EDIT: IDGAF about what the personality is, anyone who lets cunts get away with their cunt behaviour is a pathetic lil cuck lad. Cunts rarely give a fuck about what they do and all letting them go means is they will continue to make more victims. All cuz you chose to be the "bigger person" as if that doesnt make you directly responsible for whatever suffering they later cause other people.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I had the shit beat out of me on a weekly basis for about 10 years, give or take.

I got revenge.
Then I got more revenge.
Then I started punishing people who resembled the ones I got revenge on.
Then I just tortured people.

Punishment should be left up to society. When you do it yourself, it is a terrible burden.

Take the compensation and let it go. Push them out of your life and live well. You want to punishe them? Be happy and make it clear you are happy, then never let them approach you.

Someday, they may wish to make up for what they did. Nothing will eat at you more then knowing you will never be punished for the horror you caused.

Trust me. I know.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Punish the abusers. Stop them from doing it to others. They might learn something from getting hit with the same medicine, maybe not. But stopping them from doing it to others would be more than just revenge.

The journey of her recovering from such a fate would end with her being stronger than she ever thought possible. Overcoming something is more interesting than, 'oh i guess I'm better now.' Though it would be more painful.

StrongArm

Revenge is sweet. The best kind of compensation there is.

Edit: I always drop stories where the MC is a pansy-pacifist and doesnt try to get even with the people that wronged them. It might be the single worst thing an author can do to turn me off in a story. It leaves a reader unsatisfied

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I had the shit beat out of me on a weekly basis for about 10 years, give or take.

I got revenge.
Then I got more revenge.

Punishment should be left up to society. When you do it yourself, it is a terrible burden.

Take the compensation and let it go. Push them out of your life and live well. You want to punishe them? Be happy and make it clear you are happy, then never let them approach you.

Someday, they may wish to make up for what they did. Nothing will eat at you more then knowing you will never be punished for the horror you caused.

Trust me. I know.
yea....buddy, dont mistake your lack of self-control with our righteous doing of God's work. Just because you couldn't keep yourself from turning into a cunt yourself, doesnt mean we cant.

A dog bites my hand, i'm kicking that fucker into next week. Im not gonna just go around kicking other dogs who didnt do anything to me.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
EDIT: IDGAF about what the personality is, anyone who lets cunts get away with their cunt behaviour is a pathetic lil cuck lad. Cunts rarely give a fuck about what they do and all letting them go means is they will continue to make more victims. All cuz you chose to be the "bigger person" as if that doesnt make you directly responsible for whatever suffering they later cause other people.

Have you ever suffered horror?

I'm not talking about something bad happened to you, I'm talking about something terrible that lasted for months, maybe even years. If you haven't, then this isn't a topic for you. The original post is about someone suffering for years. Enduring humiliation, torture, and pain where nobody cared. I went through that for over a decade. So listen to someone who has seen the worst side of humanity.

If you survive, it does something to you. You become hard. You develop a sense of pain and suffering that isn't normal. Some pain you simply don't even notice, and others you become far too sensitive to. What's worse, is you might develop a desire to make life 'fair'.

Don't do that. Don't ever try to make life 'fair'.

People don't understand what that means. They don't really understand the concept. What a 'fair' world would be. I can make the world fair right now, for anyone. It's simple. Here we go.

YOU HAD IT COMING.

Justice. Fairness. Balance. As if any human being alive actually knows what that really is. I think the person who came closest was Douglas Adams. Why? Because the answer to life, the universe, and everything was 42.

Do you have any idea what that means if it was true? It means if we could somehow change everything into a mathematical equation and add everything up, the universe had a positive balance of 42. Doesn't matter what the unit of measurement was, it was a positive balance. That's awesome.

You want the universe to add up to Zero.

That's what fair is. That's what justice is. It is adding up the universe to Zero. Well, good on you. But did you ever think of THE OTHER SIDE OF THE EQUATION?

I'm an atheist, but let's pretend there is a heaven.

Heaven is the ultimate reward, right? Eternal Bliss. So. Tell me. If I was to set up a scale where I put INFINITE HAPPINESS on one side, and you on the other, how... will you ever get into heaven? How would ANYONE get into heaven?

This is why, if you accept the bible, that God lets in anyone who just asks for forgiveness. Hitler to Mother Teresa. Just ask to be forgiven, and you get let in. Why? BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD EVER QUALIFY OTHERWISE. How, could you EVER earn your way into heaven? How could you EVER balance that scale?

Now, does heaven exist? Doesn't matter. The point is, this is the other side of this argument. People get fixated on revenge, but they kinda forget that there is a mirror and opposite version of this where the question is, has PERSON X earned happiness?

Have YOU, earned happiness?

If we brought out Deep Thought and he evaluated your life, is your score positive or negative? Are you TOO HAPPY? If we want life to be fair, and just, and BALANCED... don't we have to drag you down to where your only as happy as you earned?

Most people when they say they want justice or fairness, or what have you, is actually just talking about revenge. You don't want it to be fair, you want to hurt someone. Well, that's fine, for normal shit. But what if you had the shit beaten out of you, on average about once a week for a decade. What if, those torturing you would never be punished by the law, BECAUSE THEY WERE THE LAW?

How much pain and suffering do you inflict until the ledger is balanced? Who do you hurt? Who is fair game? If they love someone, can I hurt who they love just to get at them?

I got my revenge... all except one. He died before I could get to him. So I punished others he cared about. And I kept punishing. I made MONEY causing others to suffer. I got PAID to torture people. I made a SCIENCE OUT OF REVENGE. And When I ran out of targets, found people who LOOKED like they MIGHT in the future do something worthy of revenge. And after a while, I gave up the pretense and I just tortured anyone who I could get my hands on just because I fuckin' hated everyone.

AndI did horrible things. Things you can even imagine. I never broke the law, but I didn't have to. I made thousands suffer and laughed. I would focus on one person to torture and spend years for no other reason then because I was angry and PEOPLE NEEDED TO SUFFER.

Tell me, how would you react if someone who spent two yers hounding you found a way to dig up your dead mother and repo the jewelry from her corpse to pay for your "debts".

After all... YOU OWED THE MONEY. I'm just balancing the BOOKS. I'm the one who is being JUST HERE. I'M THE GOOD GUY! I'M THE ONE FOLLOWING THE LAW! I NEVER LIE! I ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH! I AM THE HERO! DO YOU FUCKIN' HEAR ME???

YOU.
HAVE.
IT.
COMING.

heh.

They had it coming.

They always had it coming.

Because nobody is pure. Nobody is just. Everyone has flaws. No one's books are balanced. Let me have access to Lexus Nexus, your CBR, and a good old fashioned search on Google and I promise you, I'll find some reason to torture you. I'll justify destroying you but the truth is, the reason isn't justice, it's just pain.

The best thing I ever did was let it go.

Should you always turn the cheek? No. But we are not talking about some minor bit of pain. We are talking about a person who has endured suffering that would destroy most people. We are talking about incalculable amounts of 'injustice' here. This is a different scale. This is MUCH different. You have no idea what happens to you when you actually try to balance those scales.

I have committed so much evil, in the pursuit of justice, that if there is an afterlife, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.

I regret it. I wish I could take it back. I wish I could take it ALL BACK. How much happier and better the world would be if the MILLIONS of lives that I harmed, the thousands of lives I destroyed, the suffering that I caused was gone? Do you remember the Real Estate Crash of 2008-9?

My bad.

No. Seriously. I'd take an hour to explain, but I did things knowing full well how much harm it would cause.

The NINJA Loan. No Income, No Job or Asset.

We could close in three days.

Once we started selling NINJA loans, everyone had to. They needed to just to keep up with us. Do... you have any idea how toxic these loans were? And we then turned around and sold them to China. Who turned around and sold them to India. Who turned around and sold them right back to us.

And of all the terrible things I've done, this is the easiest to explain. I've done... far worse. Why? To punish people. I didn't give a FUCK how many other people who get hurt in the process, as long as those who 'WRONGED ME' were PUNISHED.

That's the other part of this...

Every person you punish, someone cares about them. So no matter how pure your intentions, or how careful you land your "punishment", you will always harm someone else unintentionally. At first, it might bother you. You might try to limit the fall out, but as you become consumed with the sheer PLEASURE of destroying someone, trust me. Dopamine Addiction... mmm... it's a hell of a drug. Addiction to POWER? Nothing like it. Nothing at all. I still remember spending months arranging to dig up that man's dead mother and I SENT HIM A BILL FOR THE BACKHOE.

When he called into the office... Mmm... so sweet. His voice was like a little girl. He was SHRIEKING. He was going to come kill me. And you know what I said?

"Bring your check book because you still owe me over seven hundred dollars."

I was so glad I had the call recorded, so I could listen to him destroy his own phone. I'm sure of it. Everyone in the office listened to the tape and we are fairly sure he threw his cell phone on the ground and stomped it to pieces. Oh... everyone in the office laughed for DAYS over that call. Mmm...

Just thinking back about it, I still get a 'high'.

Sometimes, I get afraid. Someone I care about gets 'wronged' and I feel myself falling back into the old ways. I start planning and calculating exactly the many, many ways I could destroy someone. It's so hard to keep myself in check.

You know what I want now?

I want life to be unfair. For everyone. In their favor.

I want you to have a wonderful life, even if you didn't earn it. I hope all the people I wronged recover and have happy lives. I hope the people who stomped on me, who beat me into a coma, who tortured me, who made me wish for death on more than one occasion... I hope they are happy too.

A world... that is 'fair". What a horrible world that would be. A world where the answer to life, the universe and everything is ZERO? The horror. The Sheer HORROR.

Do I think there should be no punishments? No. Clearly that is foolish. But Society should decide that, not a single individual. The burden on a human to do that sort of thing, when they suffer as much as the girl in the original post? No. That is just as bad as what happened to her.

The best choice for someone like her is to make peace with what happened and live a happy life as best she can from that point forward. If she wants "revenge", the best revenge is to explain what terrible things happened to you, perhaps write it out, send it to those who tortured you, then next speak to them again. Cast them out. Do not seek vengeance, or even an apology. When it is a wrong of this scale, it won't make a difference.

No. Let them live with the knowledge of what they have done and know that nothing they can do will ever balance the books. They can never be forgiven. They can never make up for what they have done. And they have two choices. Suffer, or move on.

Karma doesn't exist. I believe this.

There are no scales of justice. The good in your live is not weighed against the bad. Anything good you do does not cancel out the bad. You have a pile of Evil and a Pile of Good. They exist at the same time. One does not justify or excuse the other.

Instead of focusing on this, focus on the future. From this point on, I will be good. I will make the world a better place. I will do what I think is right and help others. Maybe, if I am lucky, I will find someone who is suffering like me, and I will be able to help them.

I have done many good things.

I have saved many lives. I have talked people off roofs, kept them from killing themselves and others. I have developed treatments for untreatable diseases. I have inspired people. I have been called a Hero.

A hero is something someone else calls you. It is never something you call yourself. I do not feel like a hero, but there is more than one person who calls me such. People who are eternally grateful what what I have done.

I do not do good deeds to balance the scales. I do not help others because it makes up for what I have done. I cannot fix nor correct, nor PAY for what I have done and NO ONE will ever come for me to punish me. I have escaped punishment.

I help others because there is no justice. I help others because life is not fair, and this is a GOOD THING. If life was fair, then everything I do is futile. but if life is UNFAIR, I can help someone to be happy...

Even if they don't deserve it.

If your claim to punish someone is in the name of justice, then are you prepared to suffer if life has rewarded you too much?

Being TOO HAPPY is also, unfair.

That's the problem. Everyone wants punishment when life is unfair, but they forget that if they truly wanted life to be fair, then they would have to SUFFER when they have unearned Happiness.

So which is it? You can't have both.

Life is fair and everyone is punished for their crimes, and suffers when they are too happy.

Or life is unfair, and we can CHEAT. We can make a world where everyone is happy, even if they have not earned it.

I want an unfair world because only an unfair world has hope.

So...

What sort of world do you want to live in?

StrongArm

yea....buddy, dont mistake your lack of self-control with our righteous doing of God's work. Just because you couldn't keep yourself from turning into a cunt yourself, doesnt mean we cant.

A dog bites my hand, i'm kicking that fucker into next week. Im not gonna just go around kicking other dogs who didnt do anything to me.
that is if you believe the dude. Pretty sure the only revenge hes gotten is in his imagination!

1671050710746.png

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on if the wrong-doers are likely to go on to hurt someone else. If the wrong-doers are 90 and too frail to track down another victim, nothing will be gained from retribution. If they are 18 and feel guilty about what they did, then their conscience may be enough to stop them from doing more harm. If they are over 30, then they are unlikely to change their ways.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Which ever fits the character best. Unless it is a choose your own adventure book. Then what the reader thinks of the main character actually matters.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
to be perfectly honest, i couldn't give even the slightest of fucks about the world being fair or unfair. The only real important person is me or anyone i deem to hold any value. Again, your lack of self control is your own problem. If all that really is true, then you are and/or were a cunt. What else needs to be said?

You couldnt distinguish between the people who fucked with you and the people who didnt do anything to you. Thats either a flaw in personality that was always present or one instilled in you through long time abuse. Either way, a cunt is a cunt. Understanding a villain doesnt mean you excuse their actions.

that is if you believe the dude. Pretty sure the only revenge hes gotten is in his imagination!

View attachment 16416
i dunno, maybe. Either hes damn good troll or he's being honest. Writing so damn much is usually an indicator of one or the other.

Either way, i stand by my words. A person doesnt need to have undergone torture to understand that shit doesnt feel good. And in any case it has nothing to do with the question. Its about a personal opinion and having been through more trauma than someone else doesnt make your opinion hold any more truth than some random pleb off the street. I mean maybe if we were talking cold facts...in which case the facts state that taking revenge and taking out criminal scum would be better for society overall.

But because of laws and some nonsense about how "all lives are precious" its just not as easy to do God's work as it used to be.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Have you ever suffered horror?

I'm not talking about something bad happened to you, I'm talking about something terrible that lasted for months, maybe even years. If you haven't, then this isn't a topic for you. The original post is about someone suffering for years. Enduring humiliation, torture, and pain where nobody cared. I went through that for over a decade. So listen to someone who has seen the worst side of humanity.

If you survive, it does something to you. You become hard. You develop a sense of pain and suffering that isn't normal. Some pain you simply don't even notice, and others you become far too sensitive to. What's worse, is you might develop a desire to make life 'fair'.

Don't do that. Don't ever try to make life 'fair'.

People don't understand what that means. They don't really understand the concept. What a 'fair' world would be. I can make the world fair right now, for anyone. It's simple. Here we go.

YOU HAD IT COMING.

Justice. Fairness. Balance. As if any human being alive actually knows what that really is. I think the person who came closest was Douglas Adams. Why? Because the answer to life, the universe, and everything was 42.

Do you have any idea what that means if it was true? It means if we could somehow change everything into a mathematical equation and add everything up, the universe had a positive balance of 42. Doesn't matter what the unit of measurement was, it was a positive balance. That's awesome.

You want the universe to add up to Zero.

That's what fair is. That's what justice is. It is adding up the universe to Zero. Well, good on you. But did you ever think of THE OTHER SIDE OF THE EQUATION?

I'm an atheist, but let's pretend there is a heaven.

Heaven is the ultimate reward, right? Eternal Bliss. So. Tell me. If I was to set up a scale where I put INFINITE HAPPINESS on one side, and you on the other, how... will you ever get into heaven? How would ANYONE get into heaven?

This is why, if you accept the bible, that God lets in anyone who just asks for forgiveness. Hitler to Mother Teresa. Just ask to be forgiven, and you get let in. Why? BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD EVER QUALIFY OTHERWISE. How, could you EVER earn your way into heaven? How could you EVER balance that scale?

Now, does heaven exist? Doesn't matter. The point is, this is the other side of this argument. People get fixated on revenge, but they kinda forget that there is a mirror and opposite version of this where the question is, has PERSON X earned happiness?

Have YOU, earned happiness?

If we brought out Deep Thought and he evaluated your life, is your score positive or negative? Are you TOO HAPPY? If we want life to be fair, and just, and BALANCED... don't we have to drag you down to where your only as happy as you earned?

Most people when they say they want justice or fairness, or what have you, is actually just talking about revenge. You don't want it to be fair, you want to hurt someone. Well, that's fine, for normal shit. But what if you had the shit beaten out of you, on average about once a week for a decade. What if, those torturing you would never be punished by the law, BECAUSE THEY WERE THE LAW?

How much pain and suffering do you inflict until the ledger is balanced? Who do you hurt? Who is fair game? If they love someone, can I hurt who they love just to get at them?

I got my revenge... all except one. He died before I could get to him. So I punished others he cared about. And I kept punishing. I made MONEY causing others to suffer. I got PAID to torture people. I made a SCIENCE OUT OF REVENGE. And When I ran out of targets, found people who LOOKED like they MIGHT in the future do something worthy of revenge. And after a while, I gave up the pretense and I just tortured anyone who I could get my hands on just because I fuckin' hated everyone.

AndI did horrible things. Things you can even imagine. I never broke the law, but I didn't have to. I made thousands suffer and laughed. I would focus on one person to torture and spend years for no other reason then because I was angry and PEOPLE NEEDED TO SUFFER.

Tell me, how would you react if someone who spent two yers hounding you found a way to dig up your dead mother and repo the jewelry from her corpse to pay for your "debts".

After all... YOU OWED THE MONEY. I'm just balancing the BOOKS. I'm the one who is being JUST HERE. I'M THE GOOD GUY! I'M THE ONE FOLLOWING THE LAW! I NEVER LIE! I ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH! I AM THE HERO! DO YOU FUCKIN' HEAR ME???

YOU.
HAVE.
IT.
COMING.

heh.

They had it coming.

They always had it coming.

Because nobody is pure. Nobody is just. Everyone has flaws. No one's books are balanced. Let me have access to Lexus Nexus, your CBR, and a good old fashioned search on Google and I promise you, I'll find some reason to torture you. I'll justify destroying you but the truth is, the reason isn't justice, it's just pain.

The best thing I ever did was let it go.

Should you always turn the cheek? No. But we are not talking about some minor bit of pain. We are talking about a person who has endured suffering that would destroy most people. We are talking about incalculable amounts of 'injustice' here. This is a different scale. This is MUCH different. You have no idea what happens to you when you actually try to balance those scales.

I have committed so much evil, in the pursuit of justice, that if there is an afterlife, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.

I regret it. I wish I could take it back. I wish I could take it ALL BACK. How much happier and better the world would be if the MILLIONS of lives that I harmed, the thousands of lives I destroyed, the suffering that I caused was gone? Do you remember the Real Estate Crash of 2008-9?

My bad.

No. Seriously. I'd take an hour to explain, but I did things knowing full well how much harm it would cause.

The NINJA Loan. No Income, No Job or Asset.

We could close in three days.

Once we started selling NINJA loans, everyone had to. They needed to just to keep up with us. Do... you have any idea how toxic these loans were? And we then turned around and sold them to China. Who turned around and sold them to India. Who turned around and sold them right back to us.

And of all the terrible things I've done, this is the easiest to explain. I've done... far worse. Why? To punish people. I didn't give a FUCK how many other people who get hurt in the process, as long as those who 'WRONGED ME' were PUNISHED.

That's the other part of this...

Every person you punish, someone cares about them. So no matter how pure your intentions, or how careful you land your "punishment", you will always harm someone else unintentionally. At first, it might bother you. You might try to limit the fall out, but as you become consumed with the sheer PLEASURE of destroying someone, trust me. Dopamine Addiction... mmm... it's a hell of a drug. Addiction to POWER? Nothing like it. Nothing at all. I still remember spending months arranging to dig up that man's dead mother and I SENT HIM A BILL FOR THE BACKHOE.

When he called into the office... Mmm... so sweet. His voice was like a little girl. He was SHRIEKING. He was going to come kill me. And you know what I said?

"Bring your check book because you still owe me over seven hundred dollars."

I was so glad I had the call recorded, so I could listen to him destroy his own phone. I'm sure of it. Everyone in the office listened to the tape and we are fairly sure he threw his cell phone on the ground and stomped it to pieces. Oh... everyone in the office laughed for DAYS over that call. Mmm...

Just thinking back about it, I still get a 'high'.

Sometimes, I get afraid. Someone I care about gets 'wronged' and I feel myself falling back into the old ways. I start planning and calculating exactly the many, many ways I could destroy someone. It's so hard to keep myself in check.

You know what I want now?

I want life to be unfair. For everyone. In their favor.

I want you to have a wonderful life, even if you didn't earn it. I hope all the people I wronged recover and have happy lives. I hope the people who stomped on me, who beat me into a coma, who tortured me, who made me wish for death on more than one occasion... I hope they are happy too.

A world... that is 'fair". What a horrible world that would be. A world where the answer to life, the universe and everything is ZERO? The horror. The Sheer HORROR.

Do I think there should be no punishments? No. Clearly that is foolish. But Society should decide that, not a single individual. The burden on a human to do that sort of thing, when they suffer as much as the girl in the original post? No. That is just as bad as what happened to her.

The best choice for someone like her is to make peace with what happened and live a happy life as best she can from that point forward. If she wants "revenge", the best revenge is to explain what terrible things happened to you, perhaps write it out, send it to those who tortured you, then next speak to them again. Cast them out. Do not seek vengeance, or even an apology. When it is a wrong of this scale, it won't make a difference.

No. Let them live with the knowledge of what they have done and know that nothing they can do will ever balance the books. They can never be forgiven. They can never make up for what they have done. And they have two choices. Suffer, or move on.

Karma doesn't exist. I believe this.

There are no scales of justice. The good in your live is not weighed against the bad. Anything good you do does not cancel out the bad. You have a pile of Evil and a Pile of Good. They exist at the same time. One does not justify or excuse the other.

Instead of focusing on this, focus on the future. From this point on, I will be good. I will make the world a better place. I will do what I think is right and help others. Maybe, if I am lucky, I will find someone who is suffering like me, and I will be able to help them.

I have done many good things.

I have saved many lives. I have talked people off roofs, kept them from killing themselves and others. I have developed treatments for untreatable diseases. I have inspired people. I have been called a Hero.

A hero is something someone else calls you. It is never something you call yourself. I do not feel like a hero, but there is more than one person who calls me such. People who are eternally grateful what what I have done.

I do not do good deeds to balance the scales. I do not help others because it makes up for what I have done. I cannot fix nor correct, nor PAY for what I have done and NO ONE will ever come for me to punish me. I have escaped punishment.

I help others because there is no justice. I help others because life is not fair, and this is a GOOD THING. If life was fair, then everything I do is futile. but if life is UNFAIR, I can help someone to be happy...

Even if they don't deserve it.

If your claim to punish someone is in the name of justice, then are you prepared to suffer if life has rewarded you too much?

Being TOO HAPPY is also, unfair.

That's the problem. Everyone wants punishment when life is unfair, but they forget that if they truly wanted life to be fair, then they would have to SUFFER when they have unearned Happiness.

So which is it? You can't have both.

Life is fair and everyone is punished for their crimes, and suffers when they are too happy.

Or life is unfair, and we can CHEAT. We can make a world where everyone is happy, even if they have not earned it.

I want an unfair world because only an unfair world has hope.

So...

Sounds like somebody needs JESUS.

Macha

Not a Klutz
She already choose to hang herself. Change her mind (you can't)

DiscoDream

Severe autist

I got revenge.
Then I got more revenge.

Trust me. I know.
That sounds like the person in the example is just severely mentally ill. I've also had a rough childhood, and yook revenge. Yeah I had a short period where I lashed out at anyone and anything that resembled the ones who hurt me, but I adapted. Part of becoming a better person is learning to differentiate the people who hurt you, from those who act in a similar manner. Leaving it to the 'authority' may make you a safer person in the short term, but all of that trauma is left unresolved. One of the bets methods for overcoming is trauma is to both stand up to it, and put it in a position where you are in control. That doesn't work if you cower behind an officer.

As for them potentially being sorry, fuck that. Sorry doesn't repair the damage they've done. Real big of them to verbally apologize for the physical things they did in the past. To gloss it all over with a few words and maybe a few tears, years of destructive habits and life experiences, derived from their actions.

SirItio

Are we talking about "injustice" or "abuse". First you're talking about someone being pushed and then about a case of long-term abuse. They're very different.
I'm not gonna read the entire discussion. If we're talking about "abuse", it serves no purpose to discuss it in this manner and both of your options, frankly, suck. What do you mean by "compensation"? The most horrible side of actual abuse is the scars it leaves the abusee with, not anything they lose in the process. As a person who went through some of it as a child, I can definitely tell you I wouldn't ever want to be rid of these memories, since they're what made me me. The healing process, the experience and knowledge it left me with I wouldn't exchange for anything else. I wouldn't want any compensation. The people who perpetrated it don't even need to be punished, or better, the difference between the kind of life they lead and mine is the best punishment there can be.

Are you saying that getting back her ice cream would somehow make it all better? What "scars" are we talking about? No one would have emotional scars simply from being pushed. I would like to see a less contrived example.

Now this is a bit more clear. But again, why are there only two choices? Any sane person would take the first option and try to find the one who poisoned them immediately afterwards.

Now on to the very first example you gave.

1. Any relationship has two sides in it. Even the most toxic kinds, like abuse, be it physical or emotional. Most cases of long-term abuse rely on both sides--the abuser and the abusee--to willingly take part in it. The abusee might think they have no choice, but in 99% of the cases that is simply not true. They just go with it subconsciously. Punishing the abuser and not actually doing anything to take any lessons from the experience serves no purpose.
Option "real life"--explain to the abusee that they're in fact taking part in their own abuse and how to stop it. Explain to the abuser what they're doing. Proceed on case by case basis.
2. Some toxic relationships are "accidental". My gay friend who was born in a religious family ended up abusing himself more than his family did. The subconscious knowledge that was an ingrained part of his psyche was that being gay was so deeply amoral and unnatural, he punished himself for it for many years. It took a lot of work, both from his parents, who ironically were not even that against homosexuality and psychological help for him to understand it was normal and accept himself. Who is the abuser here? Who do you punish?
3. In so many cases, neither side is to blame. The abuser who beats his wife learned it from his dad, who learned it from his own dad. The wife that goes willingly with it learned it from her mom. And so on. You can't discard the fact 95% of what we're doing is taught to use by our environment--school, circle of friends, parents, culture, religion, etc.

Real life is not black and white. Punishing the perpetrator helps only in cases like rape. Yeah, cut off their private parts so they have no ability to hurt anyone anymore. In all other cases, they don't even understand what they're doing and consider it normal.

hijauKuning

No. These are not consequence of making the wish. If I can make another example, it would be like this.

A girl has a limited-edition ice cream that is only in the world and absolutely delicious.

For absolutely no reason, the nearby fucker intentionally pushed her hand, and the ice cream fell onto the ground.

Now she has one wish.

Would you advise her to wish for the ice cream back?

Or would you rather her wish the fucker have the worst diarrhea for a week?

One wish will leave the abuser unpunished. The other will punish the abuser but she wouldn’t be able to eat the delicious ice cream.

It’s important to note. This is not concerning you. This is concerning a girl you saw. Would you want her to satisfy with the momentary catharsis of vengeance or would you rather she be compensated properly?
If there was no the wish granter who guarantees the consequences you give, then I'll pretend you never gave these consequences in this thread in the first place. Why? Because life is not so white and black or two sides of a coin only. Yes, this is a question about some novel idea, but fuck it. I'll also pretend to not know that.

Here is the thing. Because it's actually a non-magical situation, then this whole 'her abuser would not be punished in anyway except by their conscience,' is almost impossible to happen. You see, when you get compensation, yet the perpetrators are not punished in any way, then they'll instead see the compensation you get as an INJUSTICE against them.

They believe you don't deserve any happiness you get. When you're an achiever, they think that what you get is unfair to them, and you don't deserve it. When they believe you're 'less' than them, any compensation also makes them go rampage as they're livid how the fact that they're actually 'more' than you, yet you're the one who gets the compensation. When they can no longer justify their abuse using the logic of 'you don't deserve this and we deserve it more than you', then they'll use 'we actually have good intentions'.

Consider these sentences, then you'll understand: 'fighting racism with racism is still racist,' 'ironic that the nazi victims become nazis themselves,' 'we actually fought against Western colonialism in Asia.'

In not so political situation, such as school bullying. The fact that you try to fight bullying with: reporting to the academy, fight back, retort, and all that, are actually seen as unfair. This is why in almost every situation where a bullying act escalates into the principal office, all you get is only "let's get a peaceful solution, how about you guys apologize to each other." You see, you already get your 'compensation' when you're allowed to go to the principal office to cry out your resentment. You, demanding the school to at least punish the bullies, is going too far. Unless you're also included as the punished like those bullies, then it's unfair.

To see a punishment is never intended to get pleasure from the pain of your past-abusers. No, it's to know that the system you live in doesn't tolerate such acts. Punishment, in this case, also include rehabilitation in my book.
You know what guarantee this? Knowing that your abusers are allowed to go scoot free in your community without getting any consequence. I remember this real life situation. A girl got abused by a priest in church. You know how the community solve this? Of course it's to let the the girl and the priest go in the same sermon, and then pass everything off as 'all is well now' by letting the girl know that the priest regret it, a.k.a nothing was done while the priest said something like 'this is an important lesson and tribulation for the girl'.