Your take on Hero MC

Ram5

You know, those with a selfless trait, those with a willingness to sacrifice themselves or they desire for the sake of others... what's your opinion on them?

Jakotheshadows

I prefer them jaded or burnt, makes for a stronger character than just oh he's a nice guy.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
they're a relic of the past, things we can look back and say "hey, that's a great step taken into heroic archetypes. a good stepping stone for more advanced and deeper characters in stories and narratives"

they are not meant to be brought back and should've stayed back in their Fist of the North Stars and Stardust Crusaders

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I am actually ok with such characters. But only if they are not over the top and blind in their justice. Some cynicism in life is good.

Be ready for the worst but always strive for the best.

Some selfishness is also nice, makes them more human, because I believe a human isn't complete white or black, but different shades of gray.

Kotohood

Noob Author
Personally, I love those kinds of characters. But we need more characters who are more like Spiderman.

Relatable heroes that we understand why they are doing the things that they do. That it's the right thing to do. Not because someone told them that it's the correct thing to do. I believe this kind of characters usually suffers from lack of character development, usually not because the archetypes prevent them from having a character development but most of the time, people don't/couldn't find a way to make these seemingly already perfect character grow beyond. These kinds of heroes do not need to fall into the simple, hurr durr I'm a good guy that's why I do good things, and I would like to see more.

Of course, people would say that the world is not black and white and that many things fall into the gray area, but there are some people who are simply good just because they are good people. Things CAN happen just because someone just want to help the other guy. Why not expand further on the trope and archetype?

That's my two cents tho.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I kinda hate selfless characters, but that aside, I'm totally fine with the hero character, I just don't want them being selfless.

Like... If someone has the power to help others and actually uses it to help others, I'm totally fine with it... I just want them to do it for more than just "It's the right thing to do." It can be anything, like... They'd feel bad if they saw someone in need and did nothing when they could save them. That much is enough reasoning to me, as long as it's something that comes from themselves as opposed to simply being the "right thing", I'm good with it.

I do hope they're not perfect characters though, since those get 0 development and stuff, and this is mega boring and what not. Make them have flaws and go through development and all is good~

i do like those that help others for personal benefit, and to stand up for their own beliefs--even doing good deeds 'cuz it made them feel good and warm inside, rather than 'for greater good of the world' or that kind of bs. it makes them more human and relatable to me. i really couldn't stand those hypocrite 'saints' in novels.

and I appreciate, if they actually knew their limits and won't jump their gun unless they made decent preparations.

unlike *cough* shounen heroes *cough* that always tried to act heroic and always end up getting beat to near death, and ALWAYS end up surviving due to plot armor. that is getting old and stale.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
I personally like the selfless archetype as long as the author understands that selfless does not equate to stupidity. Someone trying to impose their idealistic views on to the world is something people do. It's the changes that can happen when such ideals are met with conflict that make a story and a character interesting. A character who is so idiotically good that he ignores lessons, consequences, and reality is not a good character, and rather irritating. But the ones who wrestle with their ideals and try their best to implement them while learning from experience, and while not being crushed by a darker reality around them, can be admirable.

Too often authors write about the stupid selfless characters who are blinded by their own ideals and never change. Ultimately, this changes the archetype from selfless to selfish and foolish. A person who refused to look at the world around them is wholy consumed with themselves, and what they believe is right. This breaks the archetype, and is a large reason why people don't like the selfless characters often portrayed.

It's a careful balancing act writing a good selfless character who doesn't either become stupid or jaded.

DanielHell

They were a starting point for truly deep characters.
I don't really like the selfless type as it could be very good adding to the character a motive to his actions, but I can stand them anyway at least until it gets repetitive without changes.

A character who is so idiotically good that he ignores lessons, consequences, and reality is not a good character, and rather irritating. But the ones who wrestle with their ideals and try their best to implement them while learning from experience, and while not being crushed by a darker reality around them, can be admirable.
I agree completely with your idea, there will always be consequences and we all know that the mind is very fragile, so there could be no individual that always stays the same. People that fight until the end for their ideals while changing and maybe going through some dark phases are the best 'heroic' characters.

aattss

I've noticed that they can be pretty underrated at times. Having strong motivations and ideals and following through even in the face of adversity or personal cost can be a good method for making a character interesting or internally strong.

Ram5

they're a relic of the past, things we can look back and say "hey, that's a great step taken into heroic archetypes. a good stepping stone for more advanced and deeper characters in stories and narratives"

they are not meant to be brought back and should've stayed back in their Fist of the North Stars and Stardust Crusaders

Actually, people with this kind of heroic type could also be an advanced and deeper character, batman for example.

Personally, I love those kinds of characters. But we need more characters who are more like Spiderman.

Relatable heroes that we understand why they are doing the things that they do. That it's the right thing to do. Not because someone told them that it's the correct thing to do.

That's my two cents tho.

But, wasn't Uncle Ben who taught Spiderman to be more responsible with his strength?

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I think the story would be much more interesting if the perfect altruistic hero archetype wasn't used for human beings. Make it another lifeform, artificial or natural, that is the hero MC because of a complex past that shaped their ideology.

Humans as the perfect hero are frankly unnatural to me, but there are some real life saints out there, however it makes the story unengaging and trite sometimes.

Kotohood

Noob Author
But, wasn't Uncle Ben who taught Spiderman to be more responsible with his strength?

He's still a paragon character. Uncle Ben only taught him the words, he himself was the one who made the choice to do the right thing(Admittedly after some bad choices). It's pretty inspiring.

BenJepheneT

Actually, people with this kind of heroic type could also be an advanced and deeper character, batman for example.
But batman himself ain't such a deep character. it's the Joker that juxtaposes him and gives him the character development he needed. By himself, batman is... okayish

But that is just my Opinion©®™

Ram5

But batman himself ain't such a deep character. it's the Joker that juxtaposes him and gives him the character development he needed. By himself, batman is... okayish

But that is just my Opinion©®™
Err... I think that's what you need to develop? Someone or something that could change your life?

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
As far as comic book characters go, I find the new 52 Superman to be a great fix. He's insanely strong and he has real detachment in regards to humans. Yet, he's morally upright and chooses to go the high road instead of going crazy with his superpowers. He's aware he's other but still helps them, poor humans because he knows he can. True, a lot of that must have come from his upbringing. The remade Superman is great because he does have internal conflict because he's very much aware he's not quite human.

BenJepheneT

Err... I think that's what you need to develop? Someone or something that could change your life?
but how about a character it of in itself, on its own merits? default guts from berserk chapter 1 is a pretty decent character without the development, and so is default Henry from silent hill 2. default batman, even after his parents' death, still seems like a typical generic superhero to me, albeit with a little twists here and there to keep him interesting

AMissingLinguist

Missing member
Virtuous heroes are interesting when they have to exist in a "Crapsack World". Having virtuous heroes in other settings tend to make a reader's enjoyment go downhill because virtue is hard to appreciate when there's now so many types of heroes. Masked heroes, payed heroes, high school heroes-to-be, hobby heroes, etc.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I'm fine with them, although I love them most with some kind of spin.

One of my favorite anime is Gatchaman Crowds, and they really deconstruct the meaning of what a "hero" is