Your view on incest in fiction.

Your view on incest in fiction?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 60025

I write incest (brother-sister), and it's doing pretty ok on this site. Actually, here is where my fiction is the most popular... Link bellow, by the way!

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Eh go wild ~
That being said I am much more likely to read an incest story between siblings (blood related or not) then say between a parent and a child

Derin_Edala

Where's the option for people who absolutely hate it but don't want it banned? Incest disgusts the fuck out of me, I would immediately drop any story with it, but just because something grosses me out personally doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be able to read/write it. We'd have a pretty boring array of fiction if the only things anyone was allowed to write were things that everyone wanted to read.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
It is one of my more morally unacceptable topics, but I am open to fiction as long as you don't play things too far. Just like paedophilia where they say "if the age is on the clock...", if things are lighthearted and non-serious I probably would not be bothered. However, I guess then I am not accepting of serious stories with such tags. Pushing such topics too far and deep just to bring "realization" of a topic will be where I draw the line.

Derin_Edala

I've encountered two real life situations of incest that ended in the incest couples eloping. One was a friend of mine who had a different father than one of his half-sisters. It's kind of amazing at all that they were so magnetically attracted to one another. The half-sister had two other sisters, and I personally thought they were far more attractive. So did everyone else. But the half-sister my friend fell for, was the oldest of the three half-siblings and she was 6 years older than my friend. They met for the first time during a Thanksgiving meeting when the father was showing my friend to his 3 half-sisters from a previous marriage for the first time. I watched. I was there. It was like fucking lightning struck them both when they first met. They couldn't keep their eyes off of one another the entire meal. I can't have been the only one to notice it either.

They were dating in secret three weeks later and having sex about 10 months into them secretly dating. They just couldn't help themselves around one another. I had no real opinions myself either way because why the hell would I care whose screwing who? Anyway, I briefly dated one of the other sisters and we went on like...group date things a few times. Anyway, it eventually became known because the sister I was dating, got into some kind of argument with her sister and ratted her incestuous relationship out to their mother. It got nasty for a while. I dumped her ass because that was a shitty thing to do to your sibling knowing the trouble it caused. Anyway, after about 4 months separated by their parents, both eventually said screw everyone and eloped. This was 8-9 years ago and I still keep in touch occasionally. They are still going strong several states over. He got a vasectomy because of reasons and she got her tubes tied because of reasons. They still can't resist one another. I've been to their house a few times and it's amazing that they can still look at one another in the way that they do. I just can't make myself see something wrong with it. They are intoxicated with eachother still 10 years later.

Another instance that ended in elopement was a guy and his sister being separated at birth, they were fraternal twins so twins but didn't look alike. They didn't meet until they were both 17. I was 13 at the time. I was friends with the little brother of the fraternal twin sister so I spent time at thew house and saw events unfold. Well, don't know when exactly they met, but they started dating when both were 17, about a week after they first met. Same story. Practically love at first sight. I don't normally believe in such a thing because love takes time....but I question that when I remember moments like this. Anyway, same story as the first. Dated openly though since no one knew their kinship yet at first. They were together even in college, went to same college. They got engaged at 22 after dating for 5 years. Not sure how it came to be known, but eventually it was discovered they were fraternal twins. The kind that don't look alike. Welp, marriage cancelled. Ensuing drama. Families try to keep them apart. This time, it lasted for 2 years. Both were 24 when the fraternal twin sister tried to hang herself, she just couldn't handle being separated from him. He was drinking like a fish to cope. Finally, after the failed suicide attempt, she and he eloped. Its been 5-6 years since they eloped. I haven't heard a word from them but my friend, the little brother of the sister says they are still together and being of age to drive, he travels to see them every summer.

So, incest to me, is a very hard subject to approach considering these two experiences I witnessed. I usually just keep silent.
*puts on evolutionary biology hat*

It's a little complicated, but in general, people are often attracted to the same characteristics that show up in their family. The correllation isn't 100%, because attraction is influenced by a whole shitton of factors, but the genetic influences of attraction and the genetic things they're attracted to tend to collect in the same bodies -- genetically, an organism is ore likely to be attracted to its own genetic characteristics.

Picture a group of birds. The birds are a dazzling array of colours, just every colour you could think of (they're a hypothetical species of improbably-varied-colour birds). Some of the birds have genes that are blue. Some of the birds have genes that make them find the colour blue really sexy. Those birds are more likely to hook up (because one group finds the other sexy). They have children, who inherit genes from both.

Next generation, you have birds that are blue, and also find blue really sexy.

This explanation is massively simplified (I took all the probability and stats out), but tiny influences like that are present in all populations, over all kinds of characteristics. They're not the be-all and end-all of attraction, but they do mean that there's a natural level of genetic influence making people find other people like them really sexy.

Because incest carries genetic risks that increase over generations, many animals, including humans, have a defence against it. This is not related to the phenomenon described above; there's a separate defence mechanism that overrides any 'that feature is sexy' inclinations and says "this person is too closely related to me and is DEFINITELY NOT SEXY." In humans, this is based onproximity and time -- there are certain critical periods of development where, if you are raised in too close proximity with someone, you will absolutely notfind them sexy. People tend notto find their children, parents or siblings sexy, even if there's no taboo against the relationship, because of this mechanism -- they were raised in the same households with them when at least one of them was at a critical period. (This is why adopted siblings will have the same aversion to a sexual relationship as genetic siblings, provided they were adopted young enough).

In some countries with a massive sex discrepency (*cough* China *cough*), it's not unheard of for families to 'adopt' a future wife for their sons when both are children. This almost always fails; both children tend to refuse the marriage. They were raised too close to each other.

Anyway, the point I was getting to is that when siblings are raised separately from each other for their entire childhoods, this "that person is definitely not sexy" mechanism doesn't clock them as related, and doesn't kick in. So it's not unusual for separated siblings to be attracted to each other for the reasons I explained above. Again, attraction is complicated, so it's not 100%, and we have taboos against these relationships that can kill attraction pretty early anyway, but these sorts of relationships aren't surprising in these conditions.
Huh. Weird. Is it arousal related? You dont usually wanna fuck your family so you dont go horny for them. And I dunno. Maybe the horny is a factor. Cuz like, I dont like the smell of anyone's sweat until I'm ready to fuck.

But what do I know? Just spitballing
I'm pretty sure Daitengu is talking about the immune system studies. For reasons that are way too complicated to go into here, there's this one specific collection of genes involved with training your white blood cells that really, really benefits from variety; the more variety you have there, the better your immune system. It's a really important part of your immune system, and you want different alleles from each parent to get it working at its best.

These exact genes also, through good fortune, determine some of the chemicals in your sweat. People with your snazzy immune genes smell more like you. People with different snazzy immune genes smell different. Some studies have shown that people smell sexier to you if they have different immune system genes (which is of course more likely if there's more genetic distance between you). You're attracted to the different immune genes, you get babies with stronger immune systems. That's the theory.

Here's the cool part -- this is reversed for people who are pregnant, or who have hormones similar to pregnancy (i.e., are on the birth control pill). Pregnant people don't wanna be around strange smelling people as much. They want to be around their family and take advantage of their existing support network while they're tired and vulnerable. Awhile ago the pop science world heard of this and went nuts with it because you can write some great "it you're on birth control YOU WILL MARRY THE WRONG MAN" stories with that.

I should point out that basically all human attraction/pheremone science is... nebulous. Plenty of scientists don't think that any of this sweat attraction stuff actually happens. Others think it does. The field is... it's hard to explain why, it's really complicated, but in general it's super hard to do reliable science in this field for like ten billion different reasons and only a few of those reasons have anything to do with actual science or experimental design. Just look at all the "left brain/right brain" or "male brain/female brain" bullshit you see out there to get a sense of how easy it is for a small discipline to just go totally off the rails under the right social conditions. But it might be true, and in another twenty years or so we'll probably know for sure.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
What do you think of incest in FICTION?

it answers itself, don't it?

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Irl = bad.

Fiction = Why am I horny

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I was writing a new story, when I just got curious about the general view of incest on this site, do you think it's bad in all circumstances? or is there an exceptions? please tell me what you think.
Absolute disgusting.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
I don't mind it since I read some of them in a harem genre story/comic but hell no I will still reading that, I either just skip that part or drop it depending on the what I'll like on the story to not make me drop it.

I dunno anyone with siblings that like it. I happen to be one of em. Doesn't help that close genetic relationships cause people to find their family stinks more compared to others. Supposedly it's the natural way of preventing incest.
Having sib-dongs makes it gross

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Depends on the story. Incest just for incest or some other BS like "preserve" the bloodline or just romcom incest are just bad and I really dislike those. Half-siblings, cousins and so on I don't really mind as long as it makes sense.

If it's executed well enough I don't even mind siblings.

Katsuya

Love it. Incest all the way- in fiction, that is.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I mentioned this before, but the idea grosses me out. I have a family, and it's just... gross. I get the smell thing that other people mentioned.

That said, I don't have an actual problem with it in theory. As long as nobody gets hurt or mistreated, people can do what they want, especially in fiction.
I actually liked Citrus among others; and there was an episode of a crime show where siblings eloped(I don't remember if they were killed or if they killed someone in order to escape? It was a crime show after all). That one gave me a lot of sympathy for their star-crossed sorta situation, even though I still thought it was a bit gross.

It is really easy for people to get hurt though. Especially if it's not siblings.

bigbear51

It's ultimately fiction so I don't care about it in a moral sense. I remember first starting to publish stuff that it came as a shock to me when people asked hoping that my mc got with his sister. Guess I got too used to the more normie sphere of the internet where things like Oreimo and Eromanga-Sensei get constantly mocked.

LilTV1155

I've encountered two real life situations of incest that ended in the incest couples eloping. One was a friend of mine who had a different father than one of his half-sisters. It's kind of amazing at all that they were so magnetically attracted to one another. The half-sister had two other sisters, and I personally thought they were far more attractive. So did everyone else. But the half-sister my friend fell for, was the oldest of the three half-siblings and she was 6 years older than my friend. They met for the first time during a Thanksgiving meeting when the father was showing my friend to his 3 half-sisters from a previous marriage for the first time. I watched. I was there. It was like fucking lightning struck them both when they first met. They couldn't keep their eyes off of one another the entire meal. I can't have been the only one to notice it either.

They were dating in secret three weeks later and having sex about 10 months into them secretly dating. They just couldn't help themselves around one another. I had no real opinions myself either way because why the hell would I care whose screwing who? Anyway, I briefly dated one of the other sisters and we went on like...group date things a few times. Anyway, it eventually became known because the sister I was dating, got into some kind of argument with her sister and ratted her incestuous relationship out to their mother. It got nasty for a while. I dumped her ass because that was a shitty thing to do to your sibling knowing the trouble it caused. Anyway, after about 4 months separated by their parents, both eventually said screw everyone and eloped. This was 8-9 years ago and I still keep in touch occasionally. They are still going strong several states over. He got a vasectomy because of reasons and she got her tubes tied because of reasons. They still can't resist one another. I've been to their house a few times and it's amazing that they can still look at one another in the way that they do. I just can't make myself see something wrong with it. They are intoxicated with eachother still 10 years later.

Another instance that ended in elopement was a guy and his sister being separated at birth, they were fraternal twins so twins but didn't look alike. They didn't meet until they were both 17. I was 13 at the time. I was friends with the little brother of the fraternal twin sister so I spent time at thew house and saw events unfold. Well, don't know when exactly they met, but they started dating when both were 17, about a week after they first met. Same story. Practically love at first sight. I don't normally believe in such a thing because love takes time....but I question that when I remember moments like this. Anyway, same story as the first. Dated openly though since no one knew their kinship yet at first. They were together even in college, went to same college. They got engaged at 22 after dating for 5 years. Not sure how it came to be known, but eventually it was discovered they were fraternal twins. The kind that don't look alike. Welp, marriage cancelled. Ensuing drama. Families try to keep them apart. This time, it lasted for 2 years. Both were 24 when the fraternal twin sister tried to hang herself, she just couldn't handle being separated from him. He was drinking like a fish to cope. Finally, after the failed suicide attempt, she and he eloped. Its been 5-6 years since they eloped. I haven't heard a word from them but my friend, the little brother of the sister says they are still together and being of age to drive, he travels to see them every summer.

So, incest to me, is a very hard subject to approach considering these two experiences I witnessed. I usually just keep silent.
From what you said, I think you have definitely witnessed the meeting of soulmates.

It not as bad as rape, but it’s still pretty bad

LilTV1155

. . .
Incest should be fine as long it doesn't get too close to the main bloodline cause unhealthy inbreeding dramas and doesn't involve too much of direct parent-offspring relationship where it feel like the child character is being groomed or sexually/physically abused for something nasty, which is disturbing given pedo nature.
If incest was a plot. I get it. But forcing it on people for generations for sexual gratification, tend to be a real pandora can of maggots.
If you want to ask about incest, you need to know to what degree can you tolerate.

Degrees, I meant are those types of relations.
- Ancestry + Descendants
- In-laws
- Parent-Offspring
- Uncle/Aunt - Niece/Nephew
- Grandparent-grandchildren
- Parentage & Guardians
- Siblings
- Godparent-godchildren

- Foster & Adopted
- Biological
- Stepfamily
- Half-sibling

For example, can you imagine a relationship where you can fuck your great grandfather if you decided to choose Grandparent-Grandchild/Ancestor-Descendant?

Can you tolerate it or not?
If so, then you need to create a logical reason for it to work. If not, then you might have to think back on why you can't accept that thing.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
All big sisters are their little brother's collared bitch.