Your view on incest in fiction.

Your view on incest in fiction?

• Total voters

The_Lonely_Guy

I have a story where I want to introduce incest in a sense. They are not related by blood, but the guy was adopted into the family.
Will it still be incest?

SternenklarenRitter

I am mostly indifferent to incest, because I somewhat lack a sense of family. Beyond knowing that having a kid with someone sharing more than ~15% of your DNA is bad for the child (a cousin has 12.5% shared, as does a parent's half sibling, these are generally considered low risk of complications by science), I don't understand treating people different just because you share a few genes with them. However, an incest story can sometimes give the impression that the author was thinking of someone very specific, which does make me uncomfortable.

aattss

I don't think there's a moral problem with the idea of sibling incest. Like, inbreeding is a problem, but isn't directly a moral one and can be avoided via magic or birth control or whatever. Of course, there shouldn't be a big age gap and the people involved should be old enough that breaking apart and living separately is an option.

Though when it comes to incest in fiction, I feel like it's basically a fetish thing. Like, you'll like it if you like typical Japanese harem LNs, but such relationships in fiction tend to be cartoonish and uninteresting depictions of romantic or familial relationships.

Kenjona

I have a story where I want to introduce incest in a sense. They are not related by blood, but the guy was adopted into the family.
Will it still be incest?
It is not incest. By law they can marry. Incest is defined as a close biological relationship for its legal requirements to be met. There are other laws that cover Gaurdian and Minors relationships.
I don't think there's a moral problem with the idea of sibling incest. Like, inbreeding is a problem, but isn't directly a moral one and can be avoided via magic or birth control or whatever. Of course, there shouldn't be a big age gap and the people involved should be old enough that breaking apart and living separately is an option.

Though when it comes to incest in fiction, I feel like it's basically a fetish thing. Like, you'll like it if you like typical Japanese harem LNs, but such relationships in fiction tend to be cartoonish and uninteresting depictions of romantic or familial relationships.
Look up Duggars for the issues. Usually there is an age gap and a maturity/responsibility issue tied in with such things, for kids even a 6 month gap can be a huge difference in maturity between kids. So yes there is a moral issue.

Last edited:

CL

It is not incest. By law they can marry.
"Any man can marry his mother-in-law or daughter-in-law and women can marry their fathers-in-law or sons-in-law. The only proviso is that they must have been separated first through divorce or death from their original partner. They must not be blood relations."

I'm going to say this doesn't apply to all jurisdictions.

DubstheDuke

The issue is it's glorification. It being present is one thing, but trying to portray it in a good manner is another.