You've Reincarnated Mega OP Into a Fantasy World And You Want To Abolish Injustice

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
LOL

What a biting but true comment. Many things would work out due to brute force, even dumb ideas ... I think the majority of human beings are not qualified to govern or rule. Even the ones that are fairly competent with some applicable knowledge still likely fall short, but they might still be a better option than random monarchs, dictators, etc. I'm sure that I would make horrific mistakes if left to my own devices. So everybody needs advisors and many diverse opinions just like this thread is providing.

This whole thread stinks of armchair generals. (I'm also guilty) LOL

Come and be an armchair general with us A2!

Not necessary. I am somewhere else already a contributor of the space called the armchair generals. So I have a slight advantage. :blob_aww:

Vaerama

I believe that most modern human beings believe that slavery is an injustice. So, if a person was suddenly placed in a similar situation, a situation where their power was unrivalled, what would be the best way to go about abolishing slavery?

It was a hard question because every single immediate and forceful method I thought of pretty much results in large casualties. Also, there are also moral issues with relying on force that would have reprecussions far into the future. Thus I have turned to you, other people with other ideas, to save the day! It was stated somewhere that group input usually results in a more rational decision making process than a single person making all decisions alone (prevention of gross oversight).

Modern human beings like to pretend that slavery is over, as if identical conditions of living no longer apply simply by removing the word “slave” from their legal status. It doesn’t ‘have’ to be this way, but most people don’t have the stomach for the bloodshed and suffering which follow a true worldwide transition away from slavery. Currently, we (USA/western countries) merely outsource it, and we displace other potential workers with the impossibly low wages we offer immigrants (legal and otherwise). Slavery will ‘exist’ until the loopholes by which any man can be made another’s are all closed... and we’ve enough loopholes that the extreme form of it which most USA-living persons so despise for its horrific imagery still continues in many of the countries we source our goods from... merely absent the name.

There’s so many forms... China with its organ harvesting of ‘prisoners’ (Muslims), bangledash with its 14+ hour a day live-in workhouses which may not be left and packed so tightly together all the while that the muscles in their legs are made to atrophy in those perpetually underfed conditions, the fishermen who are simply kidnapped in Indonesia and disappear forever out at sea to work while their illicit masters simply lounge.... sexual slavery is still ever so ‘popular’, the young boys kept by ‘the good guys’ in Afghanistan, enforced labour in North Korean work camps... slavery remains a worldwide phenomenon. Yes, we’ve done a lot in the last hundred and some years to put it behind us (racial slavery in particular we’ve really curbed)... but injustices such as slavery still abound in this modern world of ours.

I’ve gone and built a villain in my story (not present for a long while yet) who absolutely believes in ‘death before submission’ (such as England in sinking slave galleys; better to be dead and free than to live as a slave). A villain off to ‘save’ the world entirely for their own selfish feelings. That’s way more fun than an overpowered MC me-copycat trying to solve the issue... albeit I also would likely be a bloody terror in my own right, depending on just how OP I would be.

If I had the very same abilities as that villain I mentioned: I would pop every perceived slave-owner on the planet like blood balloons until people stopped trying to find loopholes for slavery if only to spare them my slightest suspicion. There’s no excuse in a civilised society where we are all of ‘equal’ worth for one to still say ‘yeah but those people are of lesser import than the people here’. The Puppetmaster isn’t so ‘good’ a person as I, nor as much of a hypocrite as I (either you internet with slave built products, or you don’t have internet)p... and there’s only so much room to choose where my food comes from) however... and as anything man can hold over his fellows is a tyranny: she’s an absolutist on the issue.

Saving people who never asked for help, in a method they would never wish for, and ‘spared’ only because the villain is convinced by another that the blood bags are more useful to her alive than dead.

TLDR: best way to stop slavery is actually to provide extremely violent disincentives for the continuation of the practice. Death, destruction, illegalization if it was otherwise legal.

Alternately? Arm the slaves (see violent disincentives). That stops slavery *real* fast. It also stops gross over-reaches by the government... is what I would have said if people hadn’t been disappointing me personally since the “Patriot Act” went through and is *still* present.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Modern human beings like to pretend that slavery is over, as if identical conditions of living no longer apply simply by removing the word “slave” from their legal status. It doesn’t ‘have’ to be this way, but most people don’t have the stomach for the bloodshed and suffering which follow a true worldwide transition away from slavery. Currently, we (USA/western countries) merely outsource it, and we displace other potential workers with the impossibly low wages we offer immigrants (legal and otherwise). Slavery will ‘exist’ until the loopholes by which any man can be made another’s are all closed... and we’ve enough loopholes that the extreme form of it which most USA-living persons so despise for its horrific imagery still continues in many of the countries we source our goods from... merely absent the name.

There’s so many forms... China with its organ harvesting of ‘prisoners’ (Muslims), bangledash with its 14+ hour a day live-in workhouses which may not be left and packed so tightly together all the while that the muscles in their legs are made to atrophy in those perpetually underfed conditions, the fishermen who are simply kidnapped in Indonesia and disappear forever out at sea to work while their illicit masters simply lounge.... sexual slavery is still ever so ‘popular’, the young boys kept by ‘the good guys’ in Afghanistan, enforced labour in North Korean work camps... slavery remains a worldwide phenomenon. Yes, we’ve done a lot in the last hundred and some years to put it behind us (racial slavery in particular we’ve really curbed)... but injustices such as slavery still abound in this modern world of ours.

I’ve gone and built a villain in my story (not present for a long while yet) who absolutely believes in ‘death before submission’ (such as England in sinking slave galleys; better to be dead and free than to live as a slave). A villain off to ‘save’ the world entirely for their own selfish feelings. That’s way more fun than an overpowered MC me-copycat trying to solve the issue... albeit I also would likely be a bloody terror in my own right, depending on just how OP I would be.

If I had the very same abilities as that villain I mentioned: I would pop every perceived slave-owner on the planet like blood balloons until people stopped trying to find loopholes for slavery if only to spare them my slightest suspicion. There’s no excuse in a civilised society where we are all of ‘equal’ worth for one to still say ‘yeah but those people are of lesser import than the people here’. The Puppetmaster isn’t so ‘good’ a person as I, nor as much of a hypocrite as I (either you internet with slave built products, or you don’t have internet)p... and there’s only so much room to choose where my food comes from) however... and as anything man can hold over his fellows is a tyranny: she’s an absolutist on the issue.

Saving people who never asked for help, in a method they would never wish for, and ‘spared’ only because the villain is convinced by another that the blood bags are more useful to her alive than dead.

TLDR: best way to stop slavery is actually to provide extremely violent disincentives for the continuation of the practice. Death, destruction, illegalization if it was otherwise legal.

Alternately? Arm the slaves (see violent disincentives). That stops slavery *real* fast. It also stops gross over-reaches by the government... is what I would have said if people hadn’t been disappointing me personally since the “Patriot Act” went through and is *still* present.

I like your way of thinking. :blob_evil_two:

Wacht auf, Verdammte dieser Erde,
die stets man noch zum Hungern zwingt!
Das Recht wie Glut im Kraterherde
nun mit Macht zum Durchbruch dringt.
Reinen Tisch macht mit dem Bedränger!
Heer der Sklaven, wache auf!
Ein Nichts zu sein, tragt es nicht länger
Alles zu werden, strömt zuhauf!

|: Völker, hört die Signale!
Auf zum letzten Gefecht!
Die Internationale
erkämpft das Menschenrecht. :|

Es rettet uns kein höh'res Wesen,
kein Gott, kein Kaiser noch Tribun
Uns aus dem Elend zu erlösen
können wir nur selber tun!
Leeres Wort: des Armen Rechte,
Leeres Wort: des Reichen Pflicht!
Unmündig nennt man uns und Knechte,
duldet die Schmach nun länger nicht!

Wake up, wretched of this Earth
Who are constantly forced to hunger!
Justice, like embers in the crater's hearth
Now with power pushes to the breakthrough!
Clear out the oppressors!
Army of slaves, awaken!
Being a nothing is no longer tolerable
To become everything is rising up...

Refrain
|: Nations (peoples) hear the signal!
On to the last fight!
The Internationale
Fights for human right(s)! :|

No higher power will save us,
No God, no Caesar, no tribune.
To redeem us out of misery,
Only we ourselves can do!
Empty words: "the rights of the poor"!
Empty words: "the duties of the rich"!
They call us immature and only servants,
Tolerate the humiliation no longer!

Vaerama

>let's pretend that you wanted to abolish injustice

no

i think we should make injustice more severe. especially gender-equality chances for men to be raped, pregnant, and be sold as sex slaves.

isekai is such a SJW misandrist.
Don't forget death from childbirth: at least as many men as women should die from that! Furthermore we must give women equal opportunities to die from workplace accidents and wars! More women must be made homeless street-beggars!

Enforced equality for all! :D

Vaerama coughs, and gets back to writing something that doesn't turn her stomach.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
People are riling about how they would exact changes without considering whether they're capable or rational enough to do so.

Not starting any beef, but the issue of being "up to the job" feels pushed on the wayside more and more for the damn near extremist ideals.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
People are riling about how they would exact changes without considering whether they're capable or rational enough to do so.

Not starting any beef, but the issue of being "up to the job" feels pushed on the wayside more and more for the damn near extremist ideals.

Throwing out stupid megalomaniac ideas is the fun part. =D

I think that nobody is capable or rational enough to do so because by analogy I think that there is nobody on this planet that is qualified to run an entire country themselves. That's why there are so many different branches and levels of government that constantly work with massive numbers of experts to maintain some semblance of order.

That's why my favourite ideas were the power base (group of people that loyally support you) idea given by @HURGMCGURG and @Assurbanipal_II 's idea for preventing the yes-man apocalypse (where only people who never question your actions/motives support you). That was in part my idea for this thread as well. Multiple diverse inputs from different people can create a more rational solution than a single know-it-all smart-ass mind alone!

Edit: Supposing that somebody really wasn't capable of making a big change I think that a good alternative option is this,
(1) Recognize their own limitations.
(2) Figure out what they are capable of.
(3) Get help.
(4) Do what they can rather than overreach and cause chaos.
I think that attempting a small manageable change within their capabilities is better than making no effort to help people whatsoever. Maybe it's like anything else? People practice by starting with easier problems first and as they improve they begin to attempt more difficult material.

My understanding is that @BenJepheneT 's contribution to the discussion is, "Whoa people. You need to fucking calm down your extremist ideals before you burn the house down with a toaster trying to light your drugs." (This was a line that I wrote in the spirit of Benben.)

The one who was the most levelheaded, calm, collected, and rational of all the posts thusfar was @BenJepheneT, a man known for his continuous and violent history of shitposting. Everyone has now been shamed for a thousand years.

Last edited:

Vaerama

That's why I said that some of the slaves wouldn't want to take part in my self-righteous social experiment. I also had the same feeling that I might wind up inappropriately and selfishly imposing my beliefs on another world. In the end, I really don't think I could turn a blind eye to the misery and suffering. I would have a lot of empathy for the downtrodden.

Edit: I'd certainly be an alien existence in their world, but for the sake of saving people who are unfairly suffering I would impose.

In a more realistic manner: simply reincarnating in some poor sodden awful medieval place without any superpowers... is among the worst places one can be. No matter how much modernity you have, you must be extremely careful not to be simply executed for witchcraft, and you must watch what you say and how you act at all times. Even if "it's against the law for them to hurt me for decrying their treatment of the serfs," it doesn't stand up well to "there are no witnesses in this here field." Furthermore: your very own prized freedom is stolen from you the moment someone with sufficient military force wishes it of you.

Flow is actually a story that very much goes in depth to the revolutionary side of things. It's a fascinating work actually. It's even got one of the classics in it: 'nobody is born free, freedom can only be taken.'

For me, it doesn't matter if I'm imposing my self-righteous terror upon the 'poor unsuspecting' folk whose morals simply haven't had the pleasure of developing beyond 'if I don't do this I starve' and 'if I don't starve I'll be killed'. Certainly, more of them would live 'better' 'lives' without my input, but whether or not they enjoy my freeing them isn't my decision to make. My only decision is 'do I risk myself for the sake of my morality' in a setting where I'm not literally the strongest being that has ever or which will ever again exist. I'm a selfish person, and I won't risk myself for people I don't know. Given power? I absolutely will attempt to make the world about as 'right' as I can without giving up my other core values... and some of these can be moved in the right circumstances, I've found.

Inherently, the equality of persons is a flawed ideal. Nobody is 'equal', we're not even necessarily born or created as such, and it isn't at all fair. The equality of persons is a legal devise for a system that recognizes the nihilistic reality that morality is a made up matter (as without it, just who's basis do we use? God's? Some king's?). It's an ideal to build a nation on, and it's the best chance to ensure that 'due process' remains relatively 'fair'... but it doesn't actually reflect the reality that if I have legs and someone else doesn't: I can run, and they probably can't.

Reality is a cruel, merciless, and unfair place. It doesn't care whether I see it, whether I've suffered from it, or whether it's provided for me: the world simply is, and it will exist in ways that do not suit my mind, for it was not born from within my own brain (necessary assumption, that). In a system where the rich nobles eat and are learned, and the serfs/peasants/slaves starve and are uneducated: the former group has become literally 'better' in many qualities than the other group... simply due to a difference in the situation of their birth!

People are definitively unequal, and (assuming I've the power to actually do this, as noted to be likely in the OP) no wondering about whether or not it's the 'right' thing to 'save' a woman who's been absolutely sexually used and kept as a prisoner for all the 18 years of her life by her own widowed father as he's had 6+ children through her can stop me from seeing her father dead/imprisoned and her as 'freed' of him as she and her children can be. I really could not care less if those 'unaware' of a 'better world' appreciate my interference: justice must be done, and if not now? Then it will never be the right time, for I would have begun to bargain with the wretchedness of the situation before me... and there is no limit to the wretchedness which can come to a person.

Morality is like that. It's mutable, it has no solid foundation on which to stand, and it's largely an inconvenience to those who would live better without its insistence. Raising children is itself a form of slavery and human experimentation, but the alternative is typically dead children. Simply engaging in this sordid affair doesn't mean that every well-adjusted adult person will simply allow nobles/the rich to be molest their children and then turn them into immortality pills, no matter *what* the law says that those persons have a right to do: there will either be a reckoning, or there will be no action... if 'this time' isn't sufficiently terrible: what does it take to become bad enough to take matters into one's own hands?

Actually, Django Unchained is a fascinatingly well done movie on the topic of 'how slavery can affect a person'. So that's two recommended works on the subject. Flow is a more targeted treatise on 'abolishing injustices' and the reality of peasants, though. They will hate you for helping them... but what does their vitriol matter in the face of the horrors they allow to be done to themselves every day?

Last edited:

Vaerama

Understood, ma'am. :blob_blank:
Puppetmaster's words, not mine :sweating_profusely:

Except that I will be writing those words for her to say!? :blob_shock:

Well, I won't be if I don't get on with it! :) Got a nice friendly happy magical girl transformation to finish! No enemies, no villains, just 2 undead lovers and a disembodied drowned spirit having a nice lovely chat about feelings and absolutely no bad things whatsoever! Couldn't be more pleasant. Never mind the superheated acid, or the moral quandaries, or the section on self-loathing, or those terrible what-if questions, or the sadomasochism...

I'm going to make gingersnap cookies before I totally gingersnap.

BenJepheneT

They will hate you for helping them... but what does their vitriol matter in the face of the horrors they allow to be done to themselves every day?
So in short: it doesn't matter if they appreciate it or not. It's whether I get to sleep soundly tonight.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Okay, I've given an answer where I mention specific powers very little. I'm now going to give as many different uses for powers in just generally trying to help people. This includes evil powers.

Physical abilities:
  • Strength: Work in construction. Make houses. Or demolish buildings of EVIL.
  • Speed: Useless. You're useless. Go fight some baddies or something.
  • Regeneration: Organ harvesting. A never ending blood bank. Yay.
  • Durability: Work in dangerous areas, like as a fire fighter or guard. You can survive where others would not. Do your best to make sure others won't die too.
  • Drug/poison Resistance: Test medicines on yourself to see if they will harm people if they take them and help the medical field advance further.
Technique abilities:
  • Crafting: Make items to help people. That doesn't mean you should make weapons. Make plows for farmers, or furnaces to keep the cold away. Make things that people need, even if it isn't glamorous.
  • Musician/Actor/Performer: Cheer people up. Perform for the poor or the wealthy, just make sure to spread your beliefs as you do so and donate your proceeds when you can.
  • Construction: Design houses and buildings for the poor. Make roads for traders. Build aqueducts to fix the drought. Windmills to save time for farmers. Build want people need.
  • Alchemy: Make medicine. Cure diseases.
  • Engineer: Do the industrial revolution at double time so that you can skip the shit where you have child labor and terrible working conditions.
  • Cooking: Feed the hungry. That's it.
  • Agriculture: Make farms, spread food around. Food is good.
  • Fast learning: Learn, damnit. Learn everything and everything and apply it all the best you can.
Martial Abilities:
  • Stealth: Steal information from bad guys to give to good guys. Do a little Robinhood-ing. Maybe pull off an assassination or two if you're feeling frisky.
  • Combat abilities: Exterminate monsters. I don't mean hunt, I mean exterminate. If they're killing people or are a major threat to people, clear them out so that people could live there in the future. "Oh no, this monster has been rendered extinct! You know, those monsters that would kill people for sport? Yes, it's done terrible things for the ecosystem and humans have had to spread into the area to hunt all those weaker monsters for food. Oh, the humanity!"

Now the real shit; MAGIC:
  • Fire Magic: This is shit meant for pure destruction mostly. So, go blow up the baddies I guess. If you want to use it for other things, become a smith, a glass blower, or a chef/baker.
  • Water Magic: Find an area with drought and fix that shit with magic. Irrigate some areas. Summon rain. Maybe redirect a flood.
  • Earth Magic: Construct houses or cities. Flatten land for farming. Make some mines.
  • Air Magic: I dunno, get a breeze going during a heatwave? Blow away poison gas? Fuck if I know.
  • Ice: Make some iceboxes. Stop some heatwaves.
  • Lightning: Honestly, fucking useless. Oh great, you can cause destruction. What, you want to use it as electricity to power shit? Sure, just understand how fucking pointless that is when you can use a generator or a wall outlet. It's only useful for a quick recharge. If you're in the industrial revolution, then it's kinda useful, but other than that it's a waste of fucking space.
  • Light/Dark Magic: I dunno, these magics are always so fucking finicky with weird quirks depending on the author. Figure it out yourself.
  • Necromancy: Real shit, necromancy is great. Renew, reuse, recycle. Undead labor. Till the fields, build some houses, use them as horses if you really want, they have an endless number of applications. Plus, if you can rule some intelligent ones, you can make them work as administrators. Maybe just bring people back from the dead as they were alive, if you can. EVERYONE (kinda) LIVES FOREVER!
  • Summoning: Summons could be used as beasts of burden, or if they're magical or have other weird abilities, you can figure out how you want to use them yourself. They could potentially be used for labor like undead. Why force people to do manual labor when you can do it yourself and feed the entire village?
  • Mind magic: Yeah, yeah, it's evil. But you can use it on the evil guys, get them to do good things, and I think that cancels out a solid 70% of the badness.
  • Enchantment: HELL YEAH, AUTOMATION, GET THAT INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION GOING, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Levitation/Lifting objects: Yeah, you know that shit about undead doing shit for you? Yeah, just do it all yourself.
  • Slave Magic: Okay, yes, this is evil magic and slavery is bad. How about, you use it on the people scheduled to get the death penalty and make them work at soup kitchens or hospitals? For other people, they can choose it voluntarily to shorten their sentences and they won't spend their time in jail but outside and contributing towards society. After their sentence is over, they can have the magic removed. NO ONE WILL OWN A SLAVE THEMSELF, JUST THE STATE. THEY ARE PEOPLE, NOT PROPERTY.
  • Time Magic: Work in a hospital. Seriously. Slow down the patients that are dying to buy more time for hospital personnel. Go back in time with information that can save the lives of patients. Cast spells that extend the shelf lives of medicines or equipment.
  • Space Magic: Set up teleport spots or something to revolutionize transportation. Make some pocket spaces for transport too. ( If you're running out of space for your population or you need somewhere to hide people, pocket space is highly useful for adding additional living space.)
  • Curses: Enchantments for fucking with people. Curse bad people to be unable to commit crimes without annoying things happening, like stubbing their toes or feeling extra tired. Curse swords to be really bad at killing people. Curse an entire area of land so that if someone kills someone else there maliciously, they will have bright red blinking dots above their head. Basically, clean up crime.
  • Illusions: ... Honestly, illusions are only really applicable to entertainment or stealth for anything remotely good.
  • Divination: Find good land for farming, ore veins, or all sorts of good locations for helpful infrastructure. Use it to direct people to happiness. Remember that even though you know something that you don't have to tell them the truth. Lie about someone's future if it will make them happier in the end.
  • Abjuration: Set up defenses for cities or buildings. Protect the people!
  • Druidic: Food for the people. Protect the environment. That's about it.
Well, that's all I got.

Vaerama

So in short: it doesn't matter if they appreciate it or not. It's whether I get to sleep soundly tonight.

This. This a thousand times :)

I mean, functionally speaking... people aren't their own monsters. Everyone does what makes them happy until they would run afoul of something they cannot afford/which holds them back... whether it's their arbitrary morals, or a higher power, or a fleeting emotion.

Ultimately, to abolish injustice is to enact tyranny to the extreme of 'God in heaven'.

if there's a god in heaven, i prefer her to be a gentle onee-san with big boobs. i have no fetish for angry old men.

Vaerama

Technique abilities:
  • Crafting: Make items to help people. That doesn't mean you should make weapons. Make plows for farmers, or furnaces to keep the cold away. Make things that people need, even if it isn't glamorous.

Except you should *absolutely* make weapons. No more effective way to change the inevitably despotic nightmare you've landed in for the better than to make *gobs* of weapons and get them distributed absolutely *everywhere*. The absolute best weapon to rock is guns. You make guns in a world without them, and you'll have a free populace right quick... just be sure not to do it in half measure, as that's how you end up with mini-tyrants. Give a six year old boy next door a little pistol, and who knows: he might be the next king-killer like that one guy who shot Richard the Lionheart dead with a crossbow. BOOM, instant change in regime.

Historically speaking, it's a big difference between the knight and the peasant. Peasant rebellions tended to go very poorly, and unless you can also make chainmail and some plate armor for a bunch of unruly peasants (which if you can, and there's no 'guns' that exceed a musket or 'magic zappermajigs': DO THAT): weapons are the difference between moderate success and total failure.

Specifically, I recommend you make a bunch of spears. Perfect against horses, still useful against knights. No stupid pitchforks and scythes: that's how you get dead. Axes and maces are your next best bets, both in materials used and speed at which you can make them AND their effect on armored knights. DO NOT MAKE SWORDS. THEY ARE USELESS NOBLE-DECORATIONS UNTIL YOU PUT THEM ON A HORSE. PLEASE BELIEVE ME: SWORDS IS BAD M'KAY?

Daggers are good for eye-slit stabbing, so if you DO happen to be able to make your own knights: absolutely give them a few. Swords only work well on horses (little to no stick on flesh), so unless you find yourself a bunch of mounts: don't bother. You should theoretically have numbers on your side, and they're untrained, so your strategy needs to lean into 'affordable losses' (massing tactics x holding formations). If cavalry can't run through you: you win.

Also, word of warning about bows. Javelins will do a lot better until a certain amount of training with bows. Anyone can throw a javelin, they're much faster to make lots of, and they can be better used in a guerrilla arrangement. Sure, if you've got the time to make bows happen, and you drop a bunch of, say, english longbows down, well first off: don't expect your archers to do too well with their backs in the future, and more importantly: expect them to miss a lot.

This is fine if you've got them in formation and delivering volleys, but training them is a pain in the pinfeathers. Now... if you can drop a compound bow with sights on it: that's a world of difference... but I figure that if you can do that: you can just make a gun. They're better in *every* way.

BenJepheneT

lol it's a fantasy world, not a hard medieval one.
If it's a fantasy world, we don't even need swords.

maybe the god was an onee-san with big boobs and she likes you.

as for the angry old man, he probably died from reading twilight.
Trust me, if God liked me she would've granted me a better life than this shit state I'm living in.

Vaerama

lol it's a fantasy world, not a hard medieval one.
Doesn’t change bad design. Fantasy worlds do even worse with swords. They’re weighty, they’re unwieldy, they require too much training.... and if your world has combat-capable magic in it: close combat itself is the dumbest thing you could do.

If you feel you *must* attempt close combat in such a setting: at that point you need speed above all. Spears win. Reach is greater, they’re lighter, they penetrate better, and they’ll stop a mage in his tracks.

If you’re doing some weird sneaky thing, better to do dagger. All you need against most mages is to skewer them through the neck, and if there’s healing magic in it: the spear easily stays inside them, while you retreat, or you can even throw it in the first place!

Until you’re getting freebie sword skills in a litRPG: you would do better in your fantasy world to use a spear for your close combat needs. Spears. Our first real weapons after ‘rocks’ and ‘big sticks’, still our best at doing what they’re supposed to: disincentivizing the enemy’s aggression, and killing them really well! :D