Zootopia's allegory for racism fucking blows but it got me thinking

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Remember how Zootopia try to play on the fear of carnivorous animals and make it seem like Disney is actually signing off a genuine philosophical story about actual physical differences between animals before introducing magical dingleberries and that its all a comically elaborate plan to lead to a herbivorous ethnostate, making it seem like "all animals are equal all along"?

That actually got me thinking; how does speciecism work if every furry on the planet broke a wishbone and actually turned everyone into an anthropomorphic animal? Would there be some iron fisted rule by the dominant species on the food chain, or giant fucking tensions like the Middle East? Maybe that iron fisted rule would be made by herbivores using weaponry and tyranny?

and btw I'm talking under the context that the carnivores have a good supply of meat from non anthropomorphic animals. just try to bear with me that there's actual animals along with fucken furries in this hypothetical universe. (There'll probably be hippies trying to protect their feral counterpart) I'm speaking this more on the term of mental behaviour and physical difference between the two.

I'm kite-high on glue as I'm typing this so please correct me if I'm wrong: would there be "speciecist" animals claiming that carnivores are inherently violent/herbivores deserve to be ruled over because they be fucken WEAK? I think there would be those sort of people. My question would most probably lie on the reactions garnered from that thought. What would people think of their opinions? Would people work harder to reach a status quo or, as we humans always end up, fuck up big time because of the extremists on both sides working their best to not compromise? Would people agree? Would people ACTUALLY work towards their cause?

How about omnivores? They'll probably be a sore subject to bring up. Or would be totally be irrelevant to the equation, since they could simply choose to eat leaves. What if their biology demands it? Is there any animal that requires both leaves and meat? Probably. Like I said my head's a condensed representation of an empty Alaskan Walmart rn. I ain't thinking straight. Maybe they'll be the core of the issue; maybe not.

Beastars tried to play on the subject matter but the way Itagaki portrayed the Black Market and casual herbivorous snacking along with general public ease on the status quo just made it seem somewhat surreal. Would it be exactly as what Itagaki portrayed? I don't know, but it seems unlikely from my perspective. (On another note god Itagaki shit the bed with the latest chapters holy shit)

Anyway, all in all, I'm just curious. There'll probably be "herbivores only" signs plastered in stores, or extremist groups working for Meat Jesus to create a mass exodus of dead weight herbivores in their path to enlightenment. Hell, they'll probably have specific carriages for carnivorous animals in the trains, or that herbivores have to sit in the back of the bus.

What do you guys think?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
they'd start crossbreeding and eventually every next generation that actually survives the circumstances of their birrth would be omnivores.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Or we can have a simp movement from some male carnivores who are trying to bone or onlyfans good looking herbivores.

Dreamheart

Haha, I gave up on trying to analyze Disney movies when I was 10. If you try to put morals to them you’ll just make yourself mad and hurt your brain. I’ve long concluded the only way to enjoy them is to not ascribe any deeper meaning to them at all.

BenJepheneT

Haha, I gave up on trying to analyze Disney movies when I was 10. If you try to put morals to them you’ll just make yourself mad and hurt your brain. I’ve long concluded the only way to enjoy them is to not ascribe any deeper meaning to them at all.
I'm not trying to analyze them but rather bring forth one of the questions the movies tried to realized, to a horrible, shallow conclusion.

they'd start crossbreeding and eventually every next generation that actually survives the circumstances of their birrth would be omnivores.
Yo, maybe there'll be inbred animals like this poor sap.
imagev1d7dc051d84e2e637b15553f6679cb52c-vqsc0hzrp3kxzu33mr2_t1880.jpg

teviaj54v2c31.jpg

If I get mutated into this shit just kill me already I'll personally ghost suck your dick every night just for putting me out of my misery

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'm not trying to analyze them but rather bring forth one of the questions the movies tried to realized, to a horrible, shallow conclusion.

Yo, maybe there'll be inbred animals like this poor sap.
View attachment 3881
View attachment 3880
If I get mutated into this shit just kill me already I'll personally ghost suck your dick every night just for putting me out of my misery
yo. that tiger looks fuckin' BAKED

Ral

Considering that using animals for allegories has been done throughout history, Disney's take isn't really all that bad. And being a kid's movie and just less than two hours long, they can't really take it that far. They have to compromise. And I don't really see the "all animals are equal all along" lesson here, there was even in the end where Judy actually have this speech where she accepted that things aren't simple and each animals are not the same.

If such thing happens, then things are up in the air. The most likely scenario would be rather messy. What I mean is that it wouldn't be homogeneous. People would have different reactions and would not create the same culture.

This homogeneity in culture is actually something I notice a fictions. Places would have the practically identical culture even if they are far apart with different situations and conditions. They should have developed differently. Or, certain species would act the same way like all dwarfs are artisans or something or certain monster species would all be warriors. That is not how things really work.

Last edited:

Stratothrax

The zootopia version they went with was actually the watered-down version, the original script was a lot darker, carnivores were openly abused and put in unremovable shock collars for their entire life that would violently electrocute them whenever they get over-excited.

would there be "speciecist" animals claiming that carnivores are inherently violent/herbivores deserve to be ruled over because they be fucken WEAK?

Yes there would be, but it would be pointless, the carnivores would be crushed underneath the herbivores foot because in the animal kingdom herbivores out number carnivores ten to one. A united herbivore front would easily oppress a carnivore minority.

dicloniuslord

I'd imaging that there'd at least be shifts in the job market, due to the new animalistic abilities (eg carnivores would have doors opened to them in the military, etc).... speaking of, you think cowgirls could get jobs getting milked?

BenJepheneT

This homogeneity in culture is actually something I notice a fictions. Places would have the practically identical culture even if they are far apart or develop differently. Or, certain species would act the same way like all dwarfs are artisans or something. That is not how things really work.
I've only seen these in really amateurish works where the setting is put behind character interaction and the plot. I don't really mind homogeneous cultures as long as it makes sense. What I have issues with is homogeneity among RACES. Why are all elves tree huggers? It's like if every humans are extreme 'Murican capitalists or horny Venezuelan simps for Chinese feet pics.

Dreamheart

To be honest I don’t think much would change even if we all got furryfied. People already fight for tons of stupid reasons, so I suspect we just shift from our current stupid reasons to new stupid reasons. If anyone is interested though this Wisecrack explanation on why analyzing Zootopia doesn’t work is pretty interesting and funny.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I've only seen these in really amateurish works where the setting is put behind character interaction and the plot. I don't really mind homogeneous cultures as long as it makes sense. What I have issues with is homogeneity among RACES. Why are all elves tree huggers? It's like if every humans are extreme 'Murican capitalists or horny Venezuelan simps for Chinese feet pics.
I've read plenty of stories where Elves weren't tree huggers, though they tended to be one of two extremes. Either extremely militaristic or extremely pacifistic. So, I've seen three varieties. The ONE thing they'll all always have in common though is the fact they are always arrogant and closeminded. They ALWAYS have some sort of air of superiority in their terms of thinking in regards to humans. Also Dwarves, which is amusing to me since in almost every fiction with the usual Dwarf-Elf animosity, it usually has lore about wars fought between the two, and in nearly every case except one, the Dwarves beat the Elves in the war. Yet, Elves retain their haughtiness. So, my thinking is that fantasy fiction makes the always apparent Elf arrogance literally genetic. It's apart of them and can't be "fixed".

Ral

Nah. It happens in pro stories too. This often happens with Fantasy and Sci-Fi. My problem with it is that it makes for a very boring world where everywhere things would always be the same. It is really limiting in a way.

And yeah, homogeneity among races. This one is far more on the face. Most people don't really notice the setting much but they certainly would notice the characters.
I've read plenty of stories where Elves weren't tree huggers, though they tended to be one of two extremes. Either extremely militaristic or extremely pacifistic. So, I've seen three varieties. The ONE thing they'll all always have in common though is the fact they are always arrogant and closeminded. They ALWAYS have some sort of air of superiority in their terms of thinking in regards to humans. Also Dwarves, which is amusing to me since in almost every fiction with the usual Dwarf-Elf animosity, it usually has lore about wars fought between the two, and in nearly every case except one, the Dwarves beat the Elves in the war. Yet, Elves retain their haughtiness. So, my thinking is that fantasy fiction makes the always apparent Elf arrogance literally genetic. It's apart of them and can't be "fixed".
On par with author's laziness. Creating a living culture for any races is just difficult. Make every single person of the same species be exactly the same instead! And cultures change too but make them practically the same after hundreds or even thousand of years. Why give effort at all?
To be honest I don’t think much would change even if we all got furryfied. People already fight for tons of stupid reasons, so I suspect we just shift from our current stupid reasons to new stupid reasons. If anyone is interested though this Wisecrack explanation on why analyzing Zootopia doesn’t work is pretty interesting and funny.
Woah. The comments.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Woah. The comments.
Just because Nick is fatherless and poor doesn't mean he's black.

You know, I never thought of this until they mentioned it. Who knew only black people are poor and fatherless?

God, this is like "orcs are allegory for black people" again. Absolute shmucks seeing race in places where they don't fucking exist.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard

You know, I never thought of this until they mentioned it. Who knew only black people are poor and fatherless?

God, this is like "orcs are allegory for black people" again. Absolute shmucks seeing race in places where they don't fucking exist.
I don't even get into politics anymore. I made the point of calling Black Lives Matter a political joke on the same level as Elmo from Sesame Street suddenly running for president. Didn't go over well. On a different note though, I've always been fairly solitary anyway so it didn't bother me too much that a good 3/4 of my buds ditched me. I actually thought it would hurt, but it never did. Kinda made me question whether I'm a partial sociopath because I've felt nothing about them leaving, except anger and disappointment, and while I'm not sure about disappointment, sociopaths can definitely feel anger. I mean I'm talking about lifelong friends. It genuinely startled me that no emotional response formed in me beyond the normal anger. One of them even tried to apologize later and I made a point of dragging his Harley Davidson off my lawn and scratching it all to hell just to point out we weren't associating with one another anymore. Something that small caused them to ditch me so I knew what would happen if something major transpired. Weird how politics can discover what relationships are and aren't actually strong.

Last edited:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard

talking about BRIGHT also right? Loved the movie. Got fed up about hearing about it from people around me though. The movie was good and wasn't what turned me against it. It was other people that watched it and wouldn't shut up about the supposed racism that turned me against it. Um...so we got Orc's being arrested here right? Ok sure. Lemme know when some pretty elven prostitutes with fairly reasonable prices show up AND THEN I'll pretend to care.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

The plot of it is an analogy for racism, but not in the way you think.

Basically, the CIA were involved in a bizarre conspiracy to distribute drugs amongst the black population, mainly crack cocaine. Zootopia is basically a kid-friendly version of that story.

Sarang

The zootopia version they went with was actually the watered-down version, the original script was a lot darker, carnivores were openly abused and put in unremovable shock collars for their entire life that would violently electrocute them whenever they get over-excited.

Yes there would be, but it would be pointless, the carnivores would be crushed underneath the herbivores foot because in the animal kingdom herbivores out number carnivores ten to one. A united herbivore front would easily oppress a carnivore minority.

Well look how they tampered with "Up" to try to pass it to younger kids with the stupid dogs in airplane's scenes. That was clearly there to alleviate the boredom of young kids who were dragged there by parents who saw the deceptive advertising thinking it would be PERFECT for their kids.

edit: TheGuyThatEveryoneHates, RIP Gary Webb right? :`-(