Anyone else gets discouraged by your average views per chapter dropping?

Tropic_Panda

When my computer still in this world, my standard is 1.6-2.0k words/chapter. But now, writing 1-2 hours using smartphone would give me a migraine. If i forced my self, i will then feel nausea and throwing up. So, need to be moderate.

Some people angry because i write a 1k chapter, but for me it's not a big deal, because i use pen name and we will never meet in real life. So everything is peacefull for me. (Except for my messy life)

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
About 2K Words. I like people to have fun with this read, and I think short chapters aren't that good for that.
My chapters are 3k- 12k words. Honestly if some one likes your story. They will stick to it. I personally asked my readers if they would like shorter chapters. They all said no. So i just finish them when i feel i am good. Let it be 5k or 10k. :blob_melt:

But younger people do like short chapters. I personally do not tho. But I seem to be the minority.

Yamazaru

I see. But a thing I like to factor is quality and quantity, I wanna make a well written chapter, then release them a few days a week. I feel that if you spend a long time writing a chapter (about 3k - 12k words) and no one reads it, it demotivates you. Comedy novels don't need that many words however.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I see. But a thing I like to factor is quality and quantity, I wanna make a well written chapter, then release them a few days a week. I feel that if you spend a long time writing a chapter (about 3k - 12k words) and no one reads it, it demotivates you. Comedy novels don't need that many words however.
That is a great thing to aim for. It is what I aim for too. I hope you keep that up! Am lucky to have amazing readers coming my way. Not many but enough to make me happy gal. All i can say is don't focus on the views. If 1 or 2 make it to then end then that is an accomplishment! After all, those people picked your story!:blob_melt:

Remember we are starting and we are unknowns. So write for yourself first. Then before you know it you will be like awesome 30 people read my work! Then with some luck maybe hundreds will come.

Also remember not everyone is going to comment/like or follow your work. So just relax and have fun with what you write! Eventually you will have a base. And that will grow with each chapter you post. Slowly and steady. :blob_aww:

You can also write for the trends. That is the best way to get loads of views. I don't do this but it is the way.

Akivien

I hab this one ereader that comments on my novel and gives hearts and it judt feels awesome when somebody puts some of their time trying to help you, bery cool.

RayneStorm

It is pretty demotivating. I will always write because I'm addicted but I also want others to enjoy my story. I haven't gotten many comments and my last few chapters only have my own reads so that's not motivating but I'm already way too invested to even think of stopping writing so I'll keep going. My only real problem right now is that I have two stories and one of them is more popular than the other so I only want to write that one and I end up neglecting the less popular one

Tropic_Panda

My only real problem right now is that I have two stories and one of them is more popular than the other so I only want to write that one and I end up neglecting the less popular one
Well, i don't see it as a problem. Just write the one you want to write, and may the force be with you.

Honestly, what bums me out are irregular numbers. I wouldn't mind relatively consistently increasing or decreasing numbers, because that would at least give me some idea of the popularity/lack of popularity of my story, but with numbers just kinda all over the place, I have no idea what to think!
If you're constantly checking your story's page, you're adding a view. If you refresh, you're adding another. If you want to check the number of views, it should be through dashboard>stats.

Kinda bums me out from releasing new chapters tbh.
Are you monetizing your story? If not then you shouldn't give a shit. Also views don't always register if your chapters are too short. Anything below ~2.5k words is susceptible to this.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Don’t worry young one if you post more than other ones that are good. People will get bored waiting then might find your series

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
About 2K Words. I like people to have fun with this read, and I think short chapters aren't that good for that.
Woah. It takes you seven hours to write 2k? Bro I dont mean to sound rude but that's pretty dang slow. I take like an hour or two. Well, I dunno if you write it all in one sitting. I doubt you do. Probably have other things that take up your time

SailusGebel

Woah. It takes you seven hours to write 2k? Bro I dont mean to sound rude but that's pretty dang slow. I take like an hour or two. Well, I dunno if you write it all in one sitting. I doubt you do. Probably have other things that take up your time
If English isn't your native language, it's normal. Lately, I've been writing faster, but I can still sometimes write 2k words for seven hours. All because some words and idioms are so hard to translate accurately. You need to change paragraphs and rewrite them just because you couldn't find a translation\substitute for a single word.

A couple of months ago, it took me around 6~8 hours to write 1k words. If English isn't your first language, translating your thoughts takes a considerable amount of time at first. Gets easier with time, though.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
I personally stop care about statistics and try to improve myself instead, using some really good feedback people give me. There is one guy who helped me on this site, and told me what to learn.. and that was enough to drive me further. Really learn a lot from writing for only one frickin month.. learning proposition, verbs, sentences etc. Trying to be a writer really makes breakthroughs in my English writing a lot.. and I'm glad to start one myself just out of curiosity.

Talk about being discouraged, it is when your work trashed a lot.. even though you apologize and promise to improve. You have shown improvement but people still trashed you, thats bummed me a lot lol. Happen on other platform to me.. expect more feedback but ehh.. none of them give me idea what to works with.

If you're constantly checking your story's page, you're adding a view. If you refresh, you're adding another. If you want to check the number of views, it should be through dashboard>stats.

Are you monetizing your story? If not then you shouldn't give a shit. Also views don't always register if your chapters are too short. Anything below ~2.5k words is susceptible to this.
I mean, i'm not checking it enough to make a difference. Single digit fluctuations wouldn't be a problem, anyway, the problem is when it fluctuates in the hundreds

ForestDweller

I am, kinda, since I have a Patreon running.

Every chapter of mine has more than 2.5k words.

I mean, i'm not checking it enough to make a difference. Single digit fluctuations wouldn't be a problem, anyway, the problem is when it fluctuates in the hundreds
I found three main factors that usually affect this. 1. You just posted a chapter. 2. You're on trending 3. Random? Maybe a couple of readers decide to binge read your novel. But honestly, views don't really matter. Readers/valid reads should give you a more accurate representation.

I am, kinda, since I have a Patreon running.

Every chapter of mine has more than 2.5k words.
Well, now this is a bit tricky. What I would advice is to stop looking at your dashboard altogether. Just act like it's not even there. It's also good to remember that you're not actually losing views. You're still getting a couple of hundred per day. Maybe it's less than the day before but that doesn't mean it's gone. People are still interested and they're still reading.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
A couple of months ago, it took me around 6~8 hours to write 1k words. If English isn't your first language, translating your thoughts takes a considerable amount of time at first. Gets easier with time, though.
If English isn't your native language, it's normal. Lately, I've been writing faster, but I can still sometimes write 2k words for seven hours. All because some words and idioms are so hard to translate accurately. You need to change paragraphs and rewrite them just because you couldn't find a translation\substitute for a single word.
thats wack yo. I cant believe it really takes that long, i mean i always felt english was amongst the easiest of languages to learn. The only problems i think non-native speakers would encounter are things like it being TOO simple or having words that can fit anywhere and change the entire meaning of the sentence.
Example, place the word "only" anywhere in this sentence: She told him that she loved him.
Done? Now try that while putting the word "only" in italics

Both versions of the word, when placed, can change the sentence a fair bit. Like those kinds of things, and how we have words that read the same but arent read the same--like in this sentence with "read"--can be confusing.

And the fact some words are both present and past tense . Like cut. I got a cut vs i got cut.

...Yeah okay never mind english is fucky as hell.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
thats wack yo. I cant believe it really takes that long, i mean i always felt english was amongst the easiest of languages to learn. The only problems i think non-native speakers would encounter are things like it being TOO simple or having words that can fit anywhere and change the entire meaning of the sentence.
Example, place the word "only" anywhere in this sentence: She told him that she loved him.
Done? Now try that while putting the word "only" in italics

Both versions of the word, when placed, can change the sentence a fair bit. Like those kinds of things, and how we have words that read the same but arent read the same--like in this sentence with "read"--can be confusing.

And the fact some words are both present and past tense . Like cut. I got a cut vs i got cut.

...Yeah okay never mind english is fucky as hell.
it depends what you count as writing 1-2k words. Just writing takes me about an hour. but if I add the time i've spent thinking on what exactly i needed to write in these 2k words. check for consistencies, do some research if needed. do some editing and most likely erase a lot of it, then by the end of it it comes out as much larger than just mere 2 hours