Writing Prompt You are a Trope-savy and selfaware villain in a typical Isekai novel

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
What would change if you were an Isekai villain that became aware of all Isekai tropes.

Here's the timeline: First you get isekai'd, then you find yourself in one of the many typical 'villain' positions. And THEN you remeber the tropes.

Would you still send the sexy assassin after the protagonist, knowing they' end as one of their trophy waifus/husbandos?

Would you try to use those tropes against the protagonist

Or would you use your knowledge to encourage the protagonist that their values are right and superior all the while alienating the protagonist and the world, slowly turning them into the true villain?

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
How to Build a Dungeon did this, minus the isekai, technically. It's not a pleasant read, though.
To summarize, heroes in that world are destined to suffer for reasons I can't remember. Kind of like Greek Hamartia.

Realistically, though... There's no upside to being a villain. If you were aware of Isekai clichés, hopefully you could pull off one of the stupid tricks the MC usually pulls off and just become a millionaire selling Earth tech.

BearlyAlive

You guys are boring... Most Isekai "villains" are (evil) overlords, nobles, slave traders or other people in power, though. So let's just go with those positions.

And at least try to act a bit villain-y. Like think about what'd you do if that guy/girl from your highschool times were to turn up as a isekai protag and you suddenly remember your life and the tropes. How would you make them suffer (if any)?

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
What would change if you were an Isekai villain that became aware of all Isekai tropes.

Would you still send the sexy assassin after the protagonist, knowing they' end as one of their trophy waifus/husbandos?

Would you try to use those tropes against the protagonist

Or would you use your knowledge to encourage the protagonist that their values are right and superior all the while alienating the protagonist and the world, slowly turning them into the true villain?
1. Imma keep the sexy assassin oneesan.

2. Yes, I'd kill the hero at a young age before he grows stronger and become an unstoppable protagonist.

Nah I'm kidding. It depends honestly. If the villain I became is a simple villain doing evil things tropes, I'd wanted to change myself first and how others view me. The Hero probably won't come after me if I didn't become the villain.

If I am the lord of a region or demon lord, I'd wanted to develop the land of course by hiring competent people since I'm dumb. Then I can just laze around just like what I'm doing right now lmao

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
that guy/girl from your highschool times were to turn up as a isekai protag
That's an extremely amusing thought. Extremely out of character... Like this.

I just can't imagine it.

Even if I try to think of how to defeat 'The Protagonist' as a villain... They have too much plot armor. You've made an unwinnable game. If you try to strike at their weakness, they get the underdog advantage. If you try to corrupt them somehow, you get a hentai protagonist- all the plot armor, none of the morals redo of a healers style. Head on is obviously your loss, honor and redemption notwithstanding. If you try to manipulate good people into fighting them, they'll turn them with 'the power of friendship'.

I guess one thing you can do is make sure you always get away, while forcing them to make sacrifices. It won't actually stop the Hero, but it might make them feel sad, I guess.

SailusGebel

You guys are boring... Most Isekai "villains" are (evil) overlords, nobles, slave traders or other people in power, though. So let's just go with those positions.

And at least try to act a bit villain-y. Like think about what'd you do if that guy/girl from your highschool times were to turn up as a isekai protag and you suddenly remember your life and the tropes. How would you make them suffer (if any)?
Villains in isekai novels are brain-dead idiots. I may be an idiot, but I'm not brain dead. You said: "What would change if you were an Isekai villain that became aware of all Isekai tropes." Why the fuck should I act not like myself and try being a brain-dead villain? I know fucking tropes. There are zero reasons to act like someone else. It's fucking stupid.

BearlyAlive

Even if I try to think of how to defeat 'The Protagonist' as a villain... They have too much plot armor
Ok, yeah. I played myself here. Thread closed. Nobody can win against PLOT.
Villains in isekai novels are brain-dead idiots. I may be an idiot, but I'm not brain dead. You said: "What would change if you were an Isekai villain that became aware of all Isekai tropes." Why the fuck should I act not like myself and try being a brain-dead villain? I know fucking tropes. There are zero reasons to act like someone else. It's fucking stupid.
Ok, here's the timeline: First you get isekai'd, then you find yourself in one of the many typical 'villain' positions. And THEN you remeber the tropes.

Imma quickly edit that into my starting post. Thanks for pointing out that one.

Like think about what'd you do if that guy/girl from your highschool times were to turn up as a isekai protag and you suddenly remember your life and the tropes.
getting back at your highschool bully is more intersting than the enslavement/eradication of the world?

SailusGebel

Ok, yeah. I played myself here. Thread closed. Nobody can win against PLOT.

Ok, here's the timeline: First you get isekai'd, then you find yourself in one of the many typical 'villain' positions. And THEN you remeber the tropes.

Imma quickly edit that into my starting post. Thanks for pointing out that one.
Still, zero reasons to continue acting like a villain. If you can't beat them, join them. Yes, you want me to think of how to fight the hero, to find a way to 'beat them'. And I can't see a single reason to act as you force me. It's, as I said before, fucking stupid. Why waste your time on something useless, stupid, and potentially dangerous; when I can, with a power of bullshit, join the hero and chill for the rest of my life as his\her right-hand man?

I get myself into the body of a typical villain, which means that I already have my knowledge and personality. No matter if I know tropes or not, why would I get myself into danger? I would use my knowledge, and wits to befriend the hero, help him, and enjoy leisure in another world. It's one of the most stupid things to fight unnecessary fights.

Imagine this. You are going to the streets and find a group of drunk thugs. You start insulting them and picking a fight. How would you win this fight? This is what you are asking. And the answer is, I may be stupid, but I'm not brain-dead. I won't pick a fight with a group of drunk thugs.

BearlyAlive

Why waste your time on something useless, stupid, and potentially dangerous
Dood, you just dissed the existance of most people here :blob_evil:

And to answer your question: For science! Uh, I mean... for the lulz.
Sure, you can join that braindead idiot of a protagonist in their neverending quest for rice, miso and personality-void waifus/husbandos (which you'll never get any since you're with the protagonist).

Or you could act like you aren't a tree in a primary school theatre that actually didn't need any more trees and only made that role up so you'd get some screentime with everyone else.

And let's be honest: There's only two ends for you in an isekai hero party: being the short end of every joke or being part of the harem. Unless you count the party members that "betray" the hero for having at least half a brain cell and/or having the constant fear of seeing their SO turn into a living trophy.

longer

Balls
Like think about what'd you do if that guy/girl from your highschool times were to turn up as a isekai protag and you suddenly remember your life and the tropes. How would you make them suffer (if any)?
I hate to break it to you, but not everyone here has been bullied in highschool, if that's what you're implying. And making people suffer while being a villain is just painting a giant target on your head.

Here's some tips to aid you in world conquest or establishing yourself as a major power separate form the hero.
1. Quit being a "villain" villain. Assuming you're in one of those generic bad guys spots like corrupted noble or demon general, then you have a lot of power. Now consolidate as much power as possible while shifting your allegiance to something more palatable for the majority of the world. Rebrand yourself, don't be doing this because you love power. Conquer the world because you believe in creating a more tolerant and equal society, or at least say you do.
2. Analyze who you can use out of the cast. If the hero can be manipulated to work for you, that's a plus. I'm not sure if their plot armor holds up if they're no longer the protagonist, but it's worth a shot. You know the tropes too, use this to your advantage to get a rough understanding of the political environment. Is there a cliche corrupted church the hero must take down? Expose them first and get the hero to help you while you share a portion of the glory. Demon lord actually a nice guy? Help him improve his personal image and decrease racial tensions. Helps more if you're a demon affected by fantasy racism, though it would take more effort to conduct.
3. Still want people to suffer because you want to see the world burn? Do so by convincing people it's for a greater good. If you, someone who is known to have reformed and do genuine good, then people are far more willing to listen to you. Besides, if the tropes exist then the reformed villain trope should too. Use it to your advantage to get all the waifus/husbandos swooning for you.

Or if you don't want to become a prime figure in the world's politics then reform first to remove the target on your head. Then do whatever else you want. If you're running a store then you can even use your past reputation as a brand name. In fact, who wouldn't want to eat at the restaurant of a retired demon army general.

SailusGebel

Dood, you just dissed the existance of most people here :blob_evil:

And to answer your question: For science! Uh, I mean... for the lulz.
Sure, you can join that braindead idiot of a protagonist in their neverending quest for rice, miso and personality-void waifus/husbandos (which you'll never get any since you're with the protagonist).

Or you could act like you aren't a tree in a primary school theatre that actually didn't need any more trees and only made that role up so you'd get some screentime with everyone else.

And let's be honest: There's only two ends for you in an isekai hero party: being the short end of every joke or being part of the harem. Unless you count the party members that "betray" the hero for having at least half a brain cell and/or having the constant fear of seeing their SO turn into a living trophy.
Who said I will join his party? By joining the hero, I meant taking the same stance as him. It wasn't the literal meaning where I would join him on the frontline. I meant to NOT antagonize him and making peace. I don't want to be a tree. In fact, I would prefer to not act at all. I would like to spend my time the way I want, instead of following the orders of someone else. So yeah, you won't be able to force me to take the role of someone with more screentime. Because I don't care about the screentime, and I won't play by the rules.

BearlyAlive

I hate to break it to you, but not everyone here has been bullied in highschool, if that's what you're implying. And making people suffer while being a villain is just painting a giant target on your head.

Here's some tips to aid you in world conquest or establishing yourself as a major power separate form the hero.
1. Quit being a "villain" villain. Assuming you're in one of those generic bad guys spots like corrupted noble or demon general, then you have a lot of power. Now consolidate as much power as possible while shifting your allegiance to something more palatable for the majority of the world. Rebrand yourself, don't be doing this because you love power. Conquer the world because you believe in creating a more tolerant and equal society, or at least say you do.
2. Analyze who you can use out of the cast. If the hero can be manipulated to work for you, that's a plus. I'm not sure if their plot armor holds up if they're no longer the protagonist, but it's worth a shot. You know the tropes too, use this to your advantage to get a rough understanding of the political environment. Is there a cliche corrupted church the hero must take down? Expose them first and get the hero to help you while you share a portion of the glory. Demon lord actually a nice guy? Help him improve his personal image and decrease racial tensions. Helps more if you're a demon affected by fantasy racism, though it would take more effort to conduct.
3. Still want people to suffer because you want to see the world burn? Do so by convincing people it's for a greater good. If you, someone who is known to have reformed and do genuine good, then people are far more willing to listen to you. Besides, if the tropes exist then the reformed villain trope should too. Use it to your advantage to get all the waifus/husbandos swooning for you.

Or if you don't want to become a prime figure in the world's politics then reform first to remove the target on your head. Then do whatever else you want. If you're running a store then you can even use your past reputation as a brand name. In fact, who wouldn't want to eat at the restaurant of a retired demon army general.
Thank you! Now this is the kind of answer I wanted to hear! Not something boring like "I wanna be a hero, too! Imma gonna join the isekai harem hero!"

Use what you can, who you can and when you can. That is the true essence of a villain!

I also didn't say bully, I just said "that" in italic :blob_evil: It was your brain that turned that that into a bully. Could've also been the guy that got your crush, a hated teacher, or maybe the queen bitch/the boss jock, anyone you'd like to hate would have worked.

Who said I will join his party? By joining the hero, I meant taking the same stance as him. It wasn't the literal meaning where I would join him on the frontline. I meant to NOT antagonize him and making peace. I don't want to be a tree. In fact, I would prefer to not act at all. I would like to spend my time the way I want, instead of following the orders of someone else. So yeah, you won't be able to force me to take the role of someone with more screentime. Because I don't care about the screentime, and I won't play by the rules.
Ok, now that makes more sense, my bad. Ignoring the rules is also another villain-y way of life. Go on with it, good sir/madam/being.

longer

Balls
What if you could do both at the same time?
I also didn't say bully, I just said "that" in italic :blob_evil: It was your brain that turned that that into a bully. Could've also been the guy that got your crush, a hated teacher, or maybe the queen bitch/the boss jock, anyone you'd like to hate would have worked.
You say this yet you replied to the other person who referred to that person as a bully. Case closed, I'm right. Me win internet argument, me winner in life now.

In all seriousness, I don't think everyone here on this site shares remotely the same highschool experience. Like I "bullied" the people I "hated". Though it's better to say that I was providing criticism while making fun of them. So if those people were the isekai protagonist, I'd actually try to help them considering how dumb and ignorant they can be. I'm not letting the fate of an isekai world rest in the hands of a guy who can't talk to real women and only interacts with body pillows and 2d waifus.

In fact, the main issue with your rules is a deliberate antagonization of the protagonist. Because it should be open ended and we should be able to freely determine our relationship with them. I mean, it would be funny if I became the new tsundere love interest.

You say this yet you replied to the other person who referred to that person as a bully. Case closed, I'm right. Me win internet argument, me winner in life now.
Honestly, I was expecting the "I didn't say bully that's just how you understood it" argument. I think OP was just looking for someone one would want to see suffer/is annoying.

longer

Balls
Honestly, I was expecting the "I didn't say bully that's just how you understood it" argument. I think OP was just looking for someone one would want to see suffer/is annoying.
I better hope I'm not the isekai protag and someone I clowned is the aware villain in that case.