How to describe sounds?

Silva

When writing, I ran into the problem of translating sounds. In Russian, I can portray absolutely any sound that I need, but I am directly lost with the English designations of sounds. Please share some examples or links of such sound designations. For example i mean this: "....Huff huff, now. Eagle this is a Bear. Сopy. "

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Hmm, I think this is a translating question more than a writing question!

I feel like I Western literature, it’s not as popular to use onomatopoeia in speech. It’s more common to describe it or put it in the narrative description (e.g. John let out a long sigh).

But then again, this is where you get interesting things because some authors here come from a light novel background, where it is common to put sounds like (Haaa, I’m tired~) in speech.

So it’s interesting to see how things go!

The styles are definitely different!

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Hmm, I think this is a translating question more than a writing question!

I feel like I Western literature, it’s not as popular to use onomatopoeia in speech. It’s more common to describe it or put it in the narrative description (e.g. John let out a long sigh).

But then again, this is where you get interesting things because some authors here come from a light novel background, where it is common to put sounds like (Haaa, I’m tired~) in speech.

So it’s interesting to see how things go!

The styles are definitely different!
Yeah I definitely agree that sound description is far more common than onomatopoeia. Honestly as a general rule, ononomatopoeiac sound effects feel like something that fits better with manga/comics than it does pure written word.

Silva

Yeah I definitely agree that sound description is far more common than onomatopoeia. Honestly as a general rule, ononomatopoeiac sound effects feel like something that fits better with manga/comics than it does pure written word.
But it is very convenient to portray the speech of the hero more natural than usually add a description at the end of the sentence

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
But it is very convenient to portray the speech of the hero more natural than usually add a description at the end of the sentence
Mmm, I find that descriptions more naturally allow me to imagine sound effects than phrases which are more jarring. With pictorial writing, it feels better, since the imagery comes from the page and not from my imagination.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
It doesn't have to be at the end of a sentence, though.
e.g.
Sighing dejectedly, the author leaned back in his chair and pondered over how to best describe sound in his work.

or,

Thinking on how to describe sound in his novel, the author gave a tired sigh as he leaned back in his chair.

etc...

That's the beauty of English, descriptions can come at various points within the sentence.

X

Silva

It doesn't have to be at the end of a sentence, though.
e.g.
Sighing dejectedly, the author leaned back in his chair and pondered over how to best describe sound in his work.

or,

Thinking on how to describe sound in his novel, the author gave a tired sigh as he leaned back in his chair.

etc...

That's the beauty of English, descriptions can come at various points within the sentence.

X

Im tottally agree. But this is a diaologe. I need live on action and live on frases.

something like this:

Corban was hit by sword:
- Ahhhhhh ! Shit! it Hurts! Cough! You....huff...you are asshol (describe sounds of blood that leaks from it mouth)

See? i dont need a description after sentence. Just from sound you understand that Corban was cut from sword near stomack, he was tired from battle, he is hurt and so on.

Nahrenne

Im tottally agree. But this is a diaologe. I need live on action and live on frases.

something like this:

Corban was hit by sword:
- Ahhhhhh ! Shit! it Hurts! Cough! You....huff...you are asshol (describe sounds of blood that leaks from it mouth)

See? i dont need a description after sentence. Just from sound you understand that Corban was cut from sword near stomack, he was tired from battle, he is hurt and so on.
. . .
Why would you want the sound of the red stuff leaking out?
It doesn't really work in English literature...
...x...

Silva

. . .
Why would you want the sound of the red stuff leaking out?
It doesn't really work in English literature...
...x...
I want to make a dialoge more lively.

People in all world make different sounds when they talking. It can be use like comedy element.
Like here from 3.35

Nahrenne

I want to make a dialoge more lively.

People in all world make different sounds when they talking. It can be use like comedy element.
Like here from 3.35
*due to not understanding the language, cannot discern the different sounds from the speaking*
When talking irl, you don't have sound effects...
...x...

Silva

also then for example men lost his teeth he sound differently and if you use in dialogue ordinnary speech and then finish sentence with a describe it will be looks silly

Silva

*due to not understanding the language, cannot discern the different sounds from the speaking*
When talking irl, you don't have sound effects...
...x...
from 3.35 there is a whole minute of strange sounds not requiring translation

Silva

Then, those sounds would be described as:
They growled in an indiscernible manner, that led up to a crescendo of cacophonous screams and shouts.

'-'

X
I hear them more like: jooo! ; uooo! ; Tut turu tu ; a la la ; uoarhhhh ; gero gero gero gero
Your version is more like Lovecraft version