Answering A Question About DBZ

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Anon2021 Asked:
What bothers me about DBZ is I don’t understand why they let characters power up to attack. If you’re physically stronger why don’t you just beat the other guy. I get it looks cool but I just don’t understand how a kamehameha wave beam would ever be allowed to charge.

In D&D, when you move around in 5 foot squares, Pi = 4.
Think about it. Pi, for a square is 4.
Physics gets weird in most cartoons and games, when you actually think about it.

In DBZ, they take forever to power up and nobody interrupts because time operates under different rules. I suspect that in DBZ, the Planck Moment is a different length than in the real world. When you combine that with the power level that gets tossed around. I mean, we are calculating these plasma blasts at trillions of degrees. How does this happen?

Just the act of powering up would require a serious bending of Time and Space. Specifically, the REDUCTION of the curve of space time. You would have to draw upon zero point energy, and to make zero point energy, you would need to smooth out space time. When you smooth out space time, you eliminate gravity (As is evidenced by two things: One, Things start floating around people as they power up, and two, the place that you can train your powers the best is a High Gravity World.)

Now what happens when you approach the speed of light? Time slows down.
What happens when you approach Perfect stillness? Well, time speeds up.

Remember, gravity is actually MOVEMENT. Even, right now, you are moving at 9.8 m/s. You just don't notice it. So if you completely eliminate all gravity, and direct gravity to counter act orbital movement as well as galaxy rotation as well as the movement of the galaxy through the local group, you could, theoretically create perfect stillness by altering local gravity to cancel everything out. In doing so you would create the perfect conditions to harness zero point energy. I also suspect that you don't have to go that far, that local space time "crystalizes" when you achieve a certain level of stillness.

So if time slows down at the speed of light, if you achieve true, perfect stillness, for you, time goes the fastest it possibly could and the rest of the universe slows down. I mean, how else do they go so fast except achieve true stillness, at least internally inside their bodies. When they are flying through the sky at great speed, beating the crap out of each other, do they not just hover and ignore gravity?

I mean, it's obvious if you just look at the cartoon.

D

Deleted member 54065

Or maybe, just maybe, all DBZ characters are gentlemen, even if they are aliens.

They allow their foes to power-up, and don't attack because it's the chad thing to do.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Anime rule number 69:
Never interrupt someone else transformation, unless you are Eren of course.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
1. I didn't ask. It was a statement and not a question.

2.... no.

Erys

Her Highness
Maybe they're confident they can beat their opponent no matter how many transformations, power ups, and form changes. They just want a good fight where everyone fight to their fullest.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Them all be stupids.

Think about it, it's DBZ. They all got hit on the head so often and hard they can't think anymore. That also explains the stupid plot.

Kassel

Anon2021 Asked:

In D&D, when you move around in 5 foot squares, Pi = 4.
Think about it. Pi, for a square is 4.
Physics gets weird in most cartoons and games, when you actually think about it.

In DBZ, they take forever to power up and nobody interrupts because time operates under different rules. I suspect that in DBZ, the Planck Moment is a different length than in the real world. When you combine that with the power level that gets tossed around. I mean, we are calculating these plasma blasts at trillions of degrees. How does this happen?

Just the act of powering up would require a serious bending of Time and Space. Specifically, the REDUCTION of the curve of space time. You would have to draw upon zero point energy, and to make zero point energy, you would need to smooth out space time. When you smooth out space time, you eliminate gravity (As is evidenced by two things: One, Things start floating around people as they power up, and two, the place that you can train your powers the best is a High Gravity World.)

Now what happens when you approach the speed of light? Time slows down.
What happens when you approach Perfect stillness? Well, time speeds up.

Remember, gravity is actually MOVEMENT. Even, right now, you are moving at 9.8 m/s. You just don't notice it. So if you completely eliminate all gravity, and direct gravity to counter act orbital movement as well as galaxy rotation as well as the movement of the galaxy through the local group, you could, theoretically create perfect stillness by altering local gravity to cancel everything out. In doing so you would create the perfect conditions to harness zero point energy. I also suspect that you don't have to go that far, that local space time "crystalizes" when you achieve a certain level of stillness.

So if time slows down at the speed of light, if you achieve true, perfect stillness, for you, time goes the fastest it possibly could and the rest of the universe slows down. I mean, how else do they go so fast except achieve true stillness, at least internally inside their bodies. When they are flying through the sky at great speed, beating the crap out of each other, do they not just hover and ignore gravity?

I mean, it's obvious if you just look at the cartoon.
Pride makes the best explanation.

NobleTalon

In DBZ, they take forever to power up and nobody interrupts because time operates under different rules.

Or maybe this is just what makes the charm of it. I understand why ppl are mad about this, even me when I was a kid I got crazy in front of my TV when Frieza took like 10 episodes to destroy Namek. The cliffhangers were horrible, and I had to wait for the next episode to see what happened.

About your funny time theory, in fact, Frieza said Namek only had 5 minutes left when it took more than 50 minutes for it to get destroyed. So yeah, maybe times laws from DB universe are different than in our own universe.

But joke aside, I just think this is an addition of many reasons that force the characters to wait for the power-up before attacking.

First, Dragon Ball is kinda like the 'dad' of the shonen genre. Sure, the first shonen would probably be Astro Boy and Saint Seya also played a significant role, but Dragon Ball is still the precursor of the Shonen genre as we know it today. And this rule of letting the enemy power up before attacking is only one rule among many other dumb rules that makes the shonen what it is.

Secondly, in terms of scenario and plot, letting an enemy grow up before killing him allow the MC to have a more interesting final battle. Btw, the rule can also be reversed. For example, most of the villains in the modern generic isekais let the MC get A LOT of power up before trying to kill him seriously. Be it equipment, skill, magic, companions or anything else that can help the MC. Thats why the comedy stories that make fun of this dumb rule are so pleasing to read. (thats also why shonen and generic isekai tend to be boring after a certain time)

Lastly, you have to take into account the release rate of the manga and the time period. As I said before, DB is a precursor for the shonen genre, and if it is the dad then Saint Seya is prolly the mom. In Saint Seya, the same dumb rule is also applied and the protagonist let each other power-up multiple times before getting serious. As for the release rate, Akira Toriyama always said how much the editor pushed him further and further every time he wanted to stop the manga.

He also said that he originally planned to stop DB at the frieza arc but the editor told him to continue, same for the Cell arc until pushing it through the Buu arc. Thanks to the editors and publishers, we had 3 more major arcs. (DBGT and DBS are not counted as Toriyama definitely stopped the original story after the Buu arc. While DBS is cannon and Toriyama often comes back to help Toyotaro for the manga or the Toei for the OAV, he is not the main author anymore.)

So in the end, while this rule may look dumb, it's actually quite funny and it is still applied in today's shonen.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
Anime rule number 69:
Never interrupt someone else transformation, unless you are Eren of course.
Novel rule number 856:
If you’re an MC, your transformations won’t get interrupted. If you’re an antagonist, get ready for the mc to rock your shit while you transform