Copy all 'Series Finder' (Search) features into 'Release Filter' (Homepage filter)

I would like to make a request that all of of the features already included in the Series Finder, especially including the 'Advance' feature, to be copied over to the Release Filter that filters everything that shows up on the main page.

If you're having any difficulty understanding, then go to the Series Finder, press 'Advance' at the top right, and now imagine every feature currently in the Series Finder would be applied to the homepage constantly. Now click your name at the top right, and press 'Release Filtering' and you'll see part of it already exists because this only applies to the homepage.
You could now filter out BDSM, Gore, and Cheating, and only show Beastkin, Girl's Love Subplot, or Otome Game on the homepage, or whatever else you want or don't want, and not to mention the ability to filter stories by word count, chapters, chapters per week, and more.

What's the point in showing stories that the user is 100% confident in not wanting reading? It just means they won't look at the "Latest Updates" section of the page. I know, because I don't look there, ever, and when I do it's all stories far too short for me to think about reading.

Last edited:

J_Chemist

1. Elaborate on what you want because I'm confused as to what you're looking for here.
  2. How would it benefit the site and other readers beyond just your personal need?

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
  1. Elaborate on what you want because I'm confused as to what you're looking for here.
  2. How would it benefit the site and other readers beyond just your personal need?
If you use the Advanced search, you're able to filter by meta stuff, chapters, wordcount, ratings, etc.
The request is to enable that feature for release filtering, the automatic main page filter that as of now only supports genre conditions.

J_Chemist

If you use the Advanced search, you're able to filter by meta stuff, chapters, wordcount, ratings, etc.
The request is to enable that feature for release filtering, the automatic main page filter that as of now only supports genre conditions.
So it sounds like there's already an option for you to apply filters and sort through the books published, but you just want it on the main page rather than having to go to the Advanced Search location.

Unfortunately, I do not think this is a necessary addition. If the feature is available and requires you to put in an extra couple clicks, it's a skill issue and you're asking for something elaborate from the backend for little reason other than "I don't wanna do that".

Comfort items like this aren't make or break and won't exactly add to the site in a big way that is worth while. Coding them up and creating a whole new search/filter function when there's one that works perfectly fine already is not necessary.

So it sounds like there's already an option for you to apply filters and sort through the books published, but you just want it on the main page rather than having to go to the Advanced Search location.

Unfortunately, I do not think this is a necessary addition. If the feature is available and requires you to put in an extra couple clicks, it's a skill issue and you're asking for something elaborate from the backend for little reason other than "I don't wanna do that".

Comfort items like this aren't make or break and won't exactly add to the site in a big way that is worth while. Coding them up and creating a whole new search/filter function when there's one that works perfectly fine already is not necessary.
Managed to forget about this post, oops. No, the whole point is taking the already in place "Release Filtering", which allows you to filter in/out smut, fanfiction, bl, gl, and any other genre on the main page, and add the "Advance" filtering that has already been created for "Series Finder" to it. Now that I think about it, I'd also like the option to filter out Tags as well.
As someone who doesn't like reading stories under 200,000 words, it's very disheartening to see a story on the main page, find the synopsis really interesting, and then see it's on chapter 13 with 24,000 words.
As for a benefit for writers, in my specific situation, it would only show stories from committed authors, meaning those authors don't have to compete with the endless amount of 1 chapter stories put out on minute by minute basis.

Last edited:

Yule

Snowdrop
No, the whole point is taking the already in place "Release Filtering", which allows you to filter in/out smut, fanfiction, bl, gl, and any other genre on the main page, and add the "Advance" filtering that has already been created for "Series Finder" to it. Now that I think about it, I'd also like the option to filter out Tags as well.
...Am I misreading this, or is this basically "So you just want it on the main page?" followed up with "No, I just want it on the main page"? Because if that's the case, then excuse me for laughing, but that's hilarious.

As someone who doesn't like reading stories under 200,000 words, it's very disheartening to see a story on the main page, find the synopsis really interesting, and then see it's on chapter 13 with 24,000 words.
As for a benefit for writers, in my specific situation, it would only show stories from committed authors, meaning those authors don't have to compete with the endless amount of 1 chapter stories put out on minute by minute basis.
I see the point you're making, and I respect the fact that you prefer stories that have quite a bit of length to them, but a preference for story length alone can't justify adding a pre-existing search feature to the main page. As others said, the search function can do it already! It's like saying you want a fridge in your own room because the kitchen's too far away...

The "benefit" you're asserting is also fairly small; as you said, it's specific to your case. The only competition that it'd kill would be in cases of audience with the same preference for story length as you. And in case your counterargument is that everyone can use main page filters according to their tastes, listen:

The main page is one of the only pages aspiring writers will get viewership, and it's a starting point for everyone. What if it really did become a popular norm to filter out stories with only one chapter? That's a small genocide against all authors who are just starting out. If you're an avid reader, there's a search function to suit your needs. We're privileged enough that SH has such a thorough search function, use it!

...Am I misreading this, or is this basically "So you just want it on the main page?" followed up with "No, I just want it on the main page"? Because if that's the case, then excuse me for laughing, but that's hilarious.
No? What he basically said was "So, you want the Series Finder to appear on the homepage's search (top right corner), because you're too lazy to click 'Series Finder'?" and my response was "No, I want the Release Filter to have the same features as the Series Finder."

And now what you're saying is "Forcing your opinions onto everyone site wide is a bad idea." because you misunderstood my example as to what I, personally, would use it for. Go to the homepage, click your name in the top right, and press "Release Filtering" and give it a try. The "Latest Updates" section of the page is functionally useless for many users, and will make it usable and make finding stories they want to read much much much easier to find.

I updated the OP a bunch of times to make it way way more clear now, including examples. If it's still confusing, please let me know how I could do better.

Last edited:

Yule

Snowdrop
What he basically said was "So, you want the Series Finder to appear on the homepage's search (top right corner), because you're too lazy to click 'Series Finder'?" and my response was "No, I want the Release Filter to have the same features as the Series Finder."
Mmk, so let me jot down some notes. From what I'm gathering, this is what's going on:
1. Series Finder has the features you want when searching for stories: the minimum-word-count-filter feature.
2. The main page only has the Release Filter, which does not have a minimum-word-count-filter feature.
3. You'd like the Release Filter, which is already on the main page, to have the same features as the Series Finder, which includes the minimum-word-count-filter feature.
4. I still find this hilarious.

Previously, I mentioned that this is no different than asking for a fridge in your room because the fridge in the kitchen is too far, but I totally concede that that was off the mark now. It sounds like you don't want a fridge in your room, you want your bed - which is already in your room - to have the same features as a fridge! The fridge in the kitchen is still too far away, but instead of getting a fridge in your room, you just want the bed in your room to also be a functional fridge. Totally got it now.

And you totally could! This is definitely valid for some people. The thing is, I'm nowhere near as rich as you are, and I can't even dream of affording to get a bed-fridge; heck, I can't even dream of getting two fridges in my place. Not a lot of people can. Besides, I don't think a lot of people find their trip to the kitchen THAT tedious and tiring. I can see billionaires perceiving a kitchen trip as an economic loss, but I'm just a peasant who's happy with my one fridge in the kitchen.

And now what you're saying is "Forcing your opinions onto everyone site wide is a bad idea." because you misunderstood my example as to what I, personally, would use it for. Go to the homepage, click your name in the top right, and press "Release Filtering" and give it a try. The "Latest Updates" section of the page is functionally useless for many users, and will make it usable and make finding stories they want to read much much much easier to find.

I promise, I really didn't misunderstand what you would personally use this feature for. I do know what Release Filtering does, and to be honest, I kind of agree with you: that Release Filtering function is completely useless to me too. I get ya, it's worse than Series Finder and could be better! So I just...don't use it. I use Series Finder. And to you, this is probably stupid; I'm doing unnecessary work that would never need to be done if the feature you're asking for was added.

The only reason why I'm not here asking for the same feature with you is because, again, I think that merely having the option to filter so thoroughly from the very front page isn't a healthy option to have. If I'm a newbie writer who only has a few words, I still want avid readers to come and tell me that it's not enough, instead of just being filtered out completely. Heck, they don't even have to say anything, the traffic data speaks for itself; that way we learn, we adapt, we write more, and we improve. So let's not take that opportunity away from others.

And who knows? Maybe one day you'll find a cool-looking story on the main page, check it out, see that it's only 100,000 words, but still give it a read just for the heck of it. And, just maybe, that story will turn out to be the best thing you've read that week.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Can the filters be saved on search? It would seem having 200k words selected by default would accomplish that.

Notadate

He wants a p*rn site tag filter. So he can black list certain tags, and they won’t show on the main page and such

AYM

Average cilantro enjoyer
Can the filters be saved on search? It would seem having 200k words selected by default would accomplish that.
It can. The closest alternative is to use the series finder, customize the options, and copy its Resource Location Formula onto a separate jade slip.

He wants a p*rn site tag filter. So he can black list certain tags, and they won’t show on the main page and such
Hah! Was an example, but you aren't wrong there lol.
Previously, I mentioned that this is no different than asking for a fridge in your room because the fridge in the kitchen is too far, but I totally concede that that was off the mark now. It sounds like you don't want a fridge in your room, you want your bed - which is already in your room - to have the same features as a fridge! The fridge in the kitchen is still too far away, but instead of getting a fridge in your room, you just want the bed in your room to also be a functional fridge. Totally got it now.

And you totally could! This is definitely valid for some people. The thing is, I'm nowhere near as rich as you are, and I can't even dream of affording to get a bed-fridge; heck, I can't even dream of getting two fridges in my place. Not a lot of people can. Besides, I don't think a lot of people find their trip to the kitchen THAT tedious and tiring. I can see billionaires perceiving a kitchen trip as an economic loss, but I'm just a peasant who's happy with my one fridge in the kitchen.
Uhh....? I'd consider it closer to wanting the fridge at work to have the same features as my fridge at home. Even if they aren't used for the exact same thing, more usable free features is better.