Hope, Nihilism, Complacency, and Danger

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
I had these thought in my head and wanted to discuss them.

Although I’m a negative person, I believe hope is more productive. If you believe, even for justified reasons, that progress is impossible, people are unchangeable, and the only certainty in the future is that conflict will continue, then you’re less likely to try to make a positive change. You are more likely to continue to live unhappily, knowing that small efforts are pointless, all they do is make you more tired, and more hopeless. Complacent to your misery, and hating yourself for it.
If you hope on the other hand, you can see a change happening, despite the unlikely-hood of it. You can see that there’s still time to do something. That, even if small, like saying thank you, could make one person feel that tiniest bit better for a little while. You are more willing to take a risk to make a change if you believe there’s a chance it will work. You can see that despite our history of misery, in the end we are alive. That even if you fall, it isn’t the end of the world, you can try again.
However, there’s a danger to hope. One much greater than a scam. Hope doesn’t have to be good. You could hope those you deem as other die. Where complacency could lead you to detest others, but be unwilling to do anything. With hope, you could do something about it. You can share your beliefs with other people, so enough of you could overpower the other. You could take action thinking yourself a martyr die for a honorable purpose. Hope is a furnace powering conflict across the world. A flame unquenchable.
Though nihilism isn’t safe from this type of danger either. If there’s no hope of victory, then what? Change your priorities. If you can’t eliminate those you hate, then make them feel fear, make them miserable, hurt them. If you can’t make the world better, why not be remembered as making it that little bit worse. If you can’t win the game of life, change your goal, change the rules, make your mark memorable.
The conclusion I come to is the obvious, boring, but one of the most frustrating ones. Think critically, be mature. Try to do good, even though it feels pointless, and makes you tired. Listen to others before you share your thoughts, consider them carefully, make yourself aware of the pitfalls of them. Be respectful even when others aren’t; take the high road over the satisfying one. Make an effort to admit your faults, but don’t excuse them. Don’t assume your better, even if you are trying harder to listen. Give others room to make mistakes, even if they’re egregious, as long as they were unintentional. If it’s ignorance, let them speak then explain why what they said can hurt. Don’t beat yourself up too much, but don’t ignore your own actions.
Stuff like this is hard to do, but I think it’s best to try even a little bit. If you’d be willing, please discuss your thoughts.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Hope will always be good from your own perspective, at least for the time you have it.
So calling it bad is an external evaluation trying to promote their own sense of right.

I think belief in your own agency fits better for what you're trying to describe, but the issue remains.

And if I take your nihilism as the "none of my actions matter" kind, why would lethality make a difference?

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
Hope will always be good from your own perspective, at least for the time you have it.
So calling it bad is an external evaluation trying to promote their own sense of right.

I think belief in your own agency fits better for what you're trying to describe, but the issue remains.

And if I take your nihilism as the "none of my actions matter" kind, why would lethality make a difference?
That’s why I talked about making your own rules. I tried my best to write this in an interesting way. I was trying to convey that for some people who believe everything sucks, and the world is going to suck forever. They want to leave an impact. I was using violence as an extreme example. I’m sorry that I’m not the best at conveying my ideas.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉

Although I’m a negative person, I believe hope is more productive. If you believe, even for justified reasons, that progress is impossible, people are unchangeable, and the only certainty in the future is that conflict will continue, then you’re less likely to try to make a positive change. You are more likely to continue to live unhappily, knowing that small efforts are pointless, all they do is make you more tired, and more hopeless. Complacent to your misery, and hating yourself for it.
If you hope on the other hand, you can see a change happening, despite the unlikely-hood of it. You can see that there’s still time to do something. That, even if small, like saying thank you, could make one person feel that tiniest bit better for a little while. You are more willing to take a risk to make a change if you believe there’s a chance it will work. You can see that despite our history of misery, in the end we are alive. That even if you fall, it isn’t the end of the world, you can try again.
However, there’s a danger to hope. One much greater than a scam. Hope doesn’t have to be good. You could hope those you deem as other die. Where complacency could lead you to detest others, but be unwilling to do anything. With hope, you could do something about it. You can share your beliefs with other people, so enough of you could overpower the other. You could take action thinking yourself a martyr die for a honorable purpose. Hope is a furnace powering conflict across the world. A flame unquenchable.
Though nihilism isn’t safe from this type of danger either. If there’s no hope of victory, then what? Change your priorities. If you can’t eliminate those you hate, then make them feel fear, make them miserable, hurt them. If you can’t make the world better, why not be remembered as making it that little bit worse. If you can’t win the game of life, change your goal, change the rules, make your mark memorable.
The conclusion I come to is the obvious, boring, but one of the most frustrating ones. Think critically, be mature. Try to do good, even though it feels pointless, and makes you tired. Listen to others before you share your thoughts, consider them carefully, make yourself aware of the pitfalls of them. Be respectful even when others aren’t; take the high road over the satisfying one. Make an effort to admit your faults, but don’t excuse them. Don’t assume your better, even if you are trying harder to listen. Give others room to make mistakes, even if they’re egregious, as long as they were unintentional. If it’s ignorance, let them speak then explain why what they said can hurt. Don’t beat yourself up too much, but don’t ignore your own actions.
Stuff like this is hard to do, but I think it’s best to try even a little bit. If you’d be willing, please discuss your thoughts.
Let us address worldviews.
If you are convinced deep down in your heart that there is no God, then everything you work for is in vain.
Progress. Purpose. Meaning. Selflessness. WHY?
Destruction. Conquest. Selfishness. WHY NOT?
In one million years will it matter? how about a trillion?
You may be forcing yourself to act a certain way, but your worldview has defeated you before you've even begun.
If your ideas are built upon a bad foundation, then they are sure to fail. A path leading to destruction.

Here is THE alternative.

There is a God who made everything with meaning and purpose.
Now there is justification, reason, and hope.
He is GOoD. He loves us.
Build your foundation on THE truth.
The truth never changes, if it does then it was only a deception you believed. And there are a great many deceptions in the world.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
This is a concept I'm presenting to you that's so trivial and obvious, it's almost meme-worthy, but only when you've fully understood it will it bear fruit.
We are the ones who give meaning to things. Nothing matters unless we ourselves give it importance.

Given the choice between the two options, the one that makes for a better life is this.
Take control of your destiny and do your best. Strive to improve yourself.
Live, enjoy, love, experiment, hope. Try to have as few regrets as possible.

But most importantly, live in the f*cking present, and this is a reminder more for me than for you. I always have to remind myself of this.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I was trying to convey that for some people who believe everything sucks, and the world is going to suck forever.
That part I wholly agree with, but while extreme I don't think disapproval of violence is any more universal a rule than any other.
Against those whose actions you consider agreeable it is unjustified, obviously, but the harmful ones? Even if the value you're trying to uphold is only non-violence, how do you go about it? Would you accept greater violence done to innocents or prevent it with force of your own?

If you only resort to questionable action because you see no alternative I wouldn't call that hope, while to someone fully convinced, the question "but what if it's bad?" is pointless, because it's obviously not, at least for them.

He is GOoD. He loves us.
The truth never changes, if it does then it was only a deception you believed. And there are a great many deceptions in the world.
Whoever recoined nihilism from "yay, we get to decide what matters ourselves" to "buhuhu, nothing matters because I have no universe affecting purpose" probably should have tried your idea instead.

Last edited:

Aez_Nairo

Demi-Human Of The Gray World
Most of this does not concern me because I have a religion that I trust.
So most of what I view will be base on that, preventing me from losing my sense.

Everything is not perfect except the creator.
A thing happened and its the will of the creator.
Someone did a horrible thing to another person causing a whole distress to the nation and he escaped, worry not for justice is in the hands of the creator in the end.
Another did 100 killing yet he wanted to repent seriously, the creator is exceedingly forgiving.

Find the truth.
Then focus oneself to do whats good and avoid whats not allowed.
In the end, ya will win this temporary world.
For heaven is the exchange if succeeded.
And the best reward one could strive for is to see the creators look, all~all~ the time because he is the majestic.

Good luck.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes

Although I’m a negative person, I believe hope is more productive.
Why? People hope to hit the lottery. Often this just means they flushed two bucks away.
If you believe, even for justified reasons, that progress is impossible, people are unchangeable, and the only certainty in the future is that conflict will continue, then you’re less likely to try to make a positive change.
Progress has been happening for 12,000 years now. Why would it be impossible?
Entropy affects everyone. Everyone changes, just usually for the worse.
Of course conflict will continue. Why is conflict bad? Calm seas never a skilled sailor make.
I don't see how any of this will have an effect of the likelihood of change. Furthermore, what is positive and negative change?
Why is one preferred over the other?

You are more likely to continue to live unhappily, knowing that small efforts are pointless, all they do is make you more tired, and more hopeless. Complacent to your misery, and hating yourself for it.
I find great glee in the face of overwhelming odds. Speak for yourself.

I can see change happening regardless of the amount of hope I have, if I have eyes that see. As for improving someone else's life, true, but the fact is, things usually only change at threshholds. 99.9% of the time, your thank you will have no effect. If won't move the needle, as they say.

And... History of misery? What misery? You mean life? yeah, living is pain. What's your point? If you felt no pain, you wouldn't do anything. You'd be a mushroom.

And yes, I'll try and do something if I think it will work. In this case just "hoping" it will work is nonsense. I prefer to "know" it will work.

If I fail and die, it's the end of my world.

No.
You are describing, caring. If you care, you will take action and sometimes people care too much. You need to care to love and you need to care to hate. What you describe isn't hope, or a result of hope. You are describing wanting something so much to the point of delusion.

Because it sucks. It's not fun, and a waste of time. First-hand experience here. You can read my posts elsewhere for details. I have no desire to repeat myself.

AHHHHUUUGGGGHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!

"Nothing I do matters!"

Okay. So, let's see. If nothing matters, then what you do doesn't matter and what I do doesn't matter. So both have a value of ZERO. So, if what you do is JUST AS IMPORTANT as what the president of the US does? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN VALUE?

If you say no, you are LYING.

So, since one is more important than the other, one has MORE VALUE. If it has MORE VALUE, then it has VALUE NOT EQUAL TO ZERO. If that is the care it MATTERS.

Just not enough.

The human mind suffers from how it self-motivates. You do something, you succeed, you get dopamine. Then, over time, doing the same thing gets less dopamine. You have to DO BETTER or do something new to get dopamine. This is called LEARNING. Unfortunately, it leads to a situation where people come to the conclusion as the dopamine wears off that "NOTHING MATTERS BECAUSE I'M NOT GETTING MY FIX."

"Doing good because it feels pointless."

That's the problem. It's not pointless. it FEELS pointless. Because you get caught in the trap of trying to find meaning.

I'll let you in on something. The reason for life. Ya ready?

Life makes order.

That's it. That's life's purpose. To make order. Life is order, death is not. Life fights entropy creating ever more complex order out of chaos. THAT'S IT. In a nutshell.

"That sucks."

No. That's the answer, you just don't LIKE IT. In short, this is, "Make the world better than you found it." Because life that doesn't do this winds up dead. Now, life disagrees with what is order. This disagreement is usually solved through the process called DIGESTION. Anyone who thinks life is supposed to be peaceful and little hearts shooting out of you as you contemplate your navel is an idiot. Life is about creating order and fighting with other forms of life to make your form of order the SUPERIOR form of order.

It's called evolution.

This works for DNA, this works for Memes, this works for you, this works for ideas. Anything that reproduces and creates order in defiance of entropy is a form of life and its purpose is to make more order. THAT'S IT.

and let me jump ahead to the arguments I know you are going to use.

"We're just chemical reactions and nothing matters."

Why does the operating system matter? If you were a computer simulation, would you be any less "real"? Anything can be used to store data and as long as that data has feedback and output, it can be a form of life. You could be a series of rocks on a beach. If you are close to the water, that's zero. If you are further away, that's one. The entire universe is a series of rocks on a beach and God walks along the beach, running a program in his mind to decide if a rock gets moved closer to the water, or away, or stays where it is.

Thus all of reality is binary code and represented by pebbles on an infinitely long beach.

It wouldn't change anything.

To us, inside the Pebble code, we wouldn't notice, or care, as long as it runs properly. You could be chemicals in your brain, neurons firing, a computer simulation, whatever. That is just bitching about your OPERATING SYSTEM. If you want to say nothing matters, you had better come up with a better excuse than, "I PREFER UNIX."

I'm sorry you don't LIKE the answers, but the answers are there. They are rather simple. The universe isn't that complex. I think the problem is, you think the universe should be massive and amazing and wonderous when... in reality... it's rather simple.

Knowing how the sausage is made, as they say, ruins the experience of sausage.

Maybe, what doesn't matter, is trying to figure out what matters.

Instead, just make the world a better place you found it, not because of GOD, or because of some higher calling, or because of philosophy, but because ever since blue-green algae started shitting oxygen everywhere, it's what life has been doing, and it's worked out just fine so far.

Why rock the boat?
Let us address worldviews.
If you are convinced deep down in your heart that there is no God, then everything you work for is in vain.
If God, by his own word, said he would not interfere in our lives, then that means that God does not affect outcomes, so it is perfectly fine to exclude him from any calculations.
Progress. Purpose. Meaning. Selflessness. WHY?
Because since life began, life has made increasingly more complex forms of order. It is what life DOES. Why? Because the opposite doesn't work. We have lots of examples of that. If you don't want to make more order, there is someone else who will.

Destruction. Conquest. Selfishness. WHY NOT?
Sometimes you need to do this. Why do you assume it's a bad thing? OH, you think the Nazis should have won? We didn't like their idea of order and corrected the mistake. Sometimes Life gets into arguments about how order should manifest, but we work it out in the end. Sometimes it's by being "negative", whatever that means.

In one million years will it matter? how about a trillion?
Yes and yes. If you didn't exist, the universe would be different. That matters. Even if just a little bit.

Maybe. Again, doesn't matter. The answer to the question doesn't change the outcome.
It existed before, you just don't like the answer, so you pick a new one. That's fine.
He is GOoD. He loves us.
Does he? I define love as loving someone, which usually means INTERACTING with what I love, but that's just me.
I love Objective truth. Do you? Even when it hurts?
WTF? Truth changes, because LIFE CHANGES. Truth never changes. what is this nonsense? Truth changes all the time because the universe changes. Dude, I know you LIKe the idea of absolute permanence, but the idea of Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence...

That's on you guys.

Infinity doesn't exist. There are no infinities. The universe cannot exist with Infinity. Mathematically you can show THERORETICAL infinity, but there are no examples of it in this world. If there are no infinities, then I'm sorry, god doesn't exist as you think he does. He has to be finite, or there is no room for you.

THAT IS WHAT INFINITY MEANS.

is there a god, Maybe. Possible. But as you imagine him? No. So tell me, what will you do if you find youself before him and he isn't perfect? What if he is flawed, because he has to be or there is no place in the universe for you? What if, the only way God and you could both exist is if he limited himself to make room for you and was now less than perfect?

My god, what pressure to put on someone. YOU HAVE TO BE PERFECT OR EVERYTHING MUST BURN BECAUSE WITHOUT YOUR PERFECTION I HAVE NO REASON TO EXIST.

Dude.... chill out. Take it down a notch. I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up so high. Isn't he called "The father"? Maybe... just maybe... he's like your dad. And dads try very hard, but dads aren't perfect. What you gonna do if the past 2,000 years was just God going out for a pack of smokes?

I'm just saying that maybe it's fine if everything isn't perfect, that things end, that maybe, in the end, entropy might win. Maybe, it was never about the destination, but the journey.

Right now, you are on your journey. Maybe you will die and your journey will continue, or maybe it will end and come to naught.

The answer to the end of your journey doesn't change anything because right now, you are STILL MOVING ALONG. Maybe just do that. Leave the world better than you found it and keep moving forward because humanity has been doing that shit for 12,000 years and it's worked out fairly well so far.

I mean, just look at this internet thing you guys came up with. That's just NEET!

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?

I ahv3e egiven uzp on haoep lonbg ago becaUSE IT s pooiinrtrtless everyxthing i isd is poinmtrless bizt whjho0 cares!!!!!!
Tghere in only deceptionA NAD joy everything else doesnÄ' ,ateeter ther eo is only hpeo in the liees ine6thjh gafannzasoies we live and dies in sdoean'T ,matter if were are faeles iow dwe are wrong aonly happinesss maTTEr in my< eyes ewcve ybody give s them,self importaaONce and live in zeheir own kind of uigniorance and delusion biut irt sdeoan' wm,atzwer we can onl dyo thingsd to make a world a person ewithg whom we can be hbapppy and everything else is to be dispüosedKOP

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I consider hope as the belief that you can reach a goal with a specific method (waiting itself can be a method).

Under this view, a goal can be bad like 'wanting someone to die', but it doesn't imply anything about the concept of hope itself.

A 'hopeless' person should just reconsider the scope of their goals and/or methods.

a hopeless person can sort of substitute hope towards a goal with fear of a failure.

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
Instead, just make the world a better place you found it, not because of GOD, or because of some higher calling, or because of philosophy, but because ever since blue-green algae started shitting oxygen everywhere, it's what life has been doing, and it's worked out just fine so far.
It's a bit ironic considering what you are describing is a philosophy in itself, though I largely agree. People care a bit too much.

But that's perhaps also something hard-coded in us.

Voidiris

It's a bit ironic considering what you are describing is a philosophy in itself, though I largely agree. People care a bit too much.

I totally agree, caring too much only leads to problems, that's the reason I envy those who never had emotions or the ability to care.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!

Often, people who become nihilistic are people who care too much. I am not saying it's the case for all nihilistic people, but if you believe nothing matters, it is much easier to wallow in despair. It's the easiest way out of trying to care for everything; however, the better thing to do would be to make healthy boundaries for yourself. It's just something that takes a lot of effort.

Voidiris

Often, people who become nihilistic are people who care too much. I am not saying it's the case for all nihilistic people, but if you believe nothing matters, it is much easier to wallow in despair. It's the easiest way out of trying to care for everything; however, the better thing to do would be to make healthy boundaries for yourself. It's just something that takes a lot of effort.
Well I'm a nihilist maybe, I have it forgotten but I think ,(I have my reason forgotten), that I became a nihilist because I seeked a reason to meaning, it was one of my first depressing times, and I just found nothing. Do I care too much? I care about attention? My bigger problem is that I'm just too emotional for my own good, wich makes the little caring I do all the more powerful? But I can't remember the truth? It doesn't matter to me if I care, because I will just forget that I ever cared about something.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Well I'm a nihilist maybe, I have it forgotten but I think ,(I have my reason forgotten), that I became a nihilist because I seeked a reason to meaning, it was one of my first depressing times, and I just found nothing. Do I care too much? I care about attention? My bigger problem is that I'm just too emotional for my own good, wich makes the little caring I do all the more powerful? But I can't remember the truth? It doesn't matter to me if I care, because I will just forget that I ever cared about something.
To me, this shows that you lack boundaries. It is not that you have too much emotion. It's that you don't use them in healthy ways. Humans are emotional, and I don't think using emotion or only logical reasoning is correct. There needs to be a balance. If you are only logical, you don't connect to anyone emotionally, and you will always seem cold. If you are only emotional, you can be prone to lashing out or acting impulsively.

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
It's escapism more than anything. You are the kind of person Prince was talking about: lost.

The reality of the situation is that people don't do well with subjectivity, and they need strong values to ground them. What you need to do is accept emotions rather than reject them, practice meditation, and live a healthy lifestyle. Seek help if necessary.

Voidiris

To me, this shows that you lack boundaries. It is not that you have too much emotion. It's that you don't use them in healthy ways. Humans are emotional, and I don't think using emotion or only logical reasoning is correct. There needs to be a balance. If you are only logical, you don't connect to anyone emotionally, and you will always seem cold. If you are only emotional, you can be prone to lashing out or acting impulsively.
It's escapism more than anything. You are the kind of person Prince was talking about: lost.

The reality of the situation is that people don't do well with subjectivity, and they need strong values to ground them. What you need to do is accept emotions rather than reject them, practice meditation, and live a healthy lifestyle. Seek help if necessary.
I live in extremes and lies, I know that I tell lies but then I believe I only tell lies, I literally don't know how correct I'm but I'm always genuine. I think there was a time I was in balance but i have forgotten. Obsession is what gives me most of the time a personality, my boundaries are inconsistent, one day you could die and I would laugh at you because I never cared about you, another day I would cry because I cared about you. I don't know how to control my emotions because emotions control me, I had a moment of clarity after my joy was gone but now come my emotions back again and I have forgotten again I fa im real because I only liveb witzh my instincts because they are the thinmg that give me comstistency. I would love to be empty of emptioms becaus ethey are parasites that control my mind aqnd now the joxy is vcominfg back. I sometrimes don'
ZT care about being cold but I don't undertand how emotions function. Yes I'm lost but I love it ther uis nothing i would love more to be but that doesn't matter because I'm fine like i'm now, I'm happy, sometimes it might be painful but live is just painful and at the end of the day I'M happy.
Funnily enough the problem is that I'm selfaware that's my only problem because I'm happy the way, IM it doesn't matter to me that I' m nothing but a loop of ideas and forgetting who I was but I don't even know If I'm real, It might be hard but I'm the most happy I ever was. I found a reason to love this broken world, I have accepted who I'm, I mightnot see a value in the words I said but I think they arethe most beatiful thing I have evert seen, reality doesn'T matter to me, I'm so broken that I found happiness, and I would never want to lose it.