Personal Rant: Ungrateful Audience

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello everyone

I haven't commented here in a long time and I'm sorry that this is the topic I'm coming back with, but I can't take it anymore.

So here I go with a personal anger I have and want to get off my chest.

First of all, I know that this is not always the case and I really have very passionate readers and fans who really appreciate my work, I appreciate them a lot and it is for them that I think I keep writing for so long despite the difficulties along the way, but to see that something I do out of passion makes someone else happy is a really special feeling.

But in spite of that, and as strange as it may sound, I also want to talk about the fact that I am also fed up with the damned Ungrateful Audience that seems to accompany me in certain places.

It is not in this site, on the contrary in this place is the most pleasant where I have come to publish my story, this story comes from another site where there is no forum mainly and a place with two R's, so I come to get even a little here.

The first complaint is that it doesn't seem to matter how big my audience is, which I think is pretty big for a complete stranger on the Internet. It just looks like a ghost town in an abandoned city. Many visits, no likes, almost no comments, blah blah blah, the usual, in reality this is normal, even expected from the internet, where in the best case only 10% will actually do anything other than read the chapter and leave. What bothers me is when that damn 10% has nothing else to do but complain about absolutely everything. From understandable things like grammar or plot holes or theories (most of which are wrong, but fun to listen to), to real idiocies like complaining that I'm not publishing my novel in Portuguese or French? Or complaining about what is obviously a plot clue left on purpose, but taken as a lack of organization by the author, like: the villain didn't kill the protagonist when he could, what a stupid villain, only nobody saw the part where he put a tracker on him and then attacked his base of operations just two paragraphs later.

There are also the real variety of comments completely WTF awards. Comments about whether this novel has a leftist slant, because this story, based on the real world, says good things about this country and bad things about that country, because it is trendy on the Internet to shit on this country, so your novel should do the same.

Others complain that the novel is about what is written on the labels. The novel has Harem, Gender Bender, and Yuri ? hate those things, therefore bad review, one star, and I shit on you as an author for daring to try to talk about the topics that appear in the tags and the hypnosis. Yes, it's fashionable to complain about the harem, that's what makes you unique and different, in a world of sheep they are the only wolves. I just want my story to be about the things I like, that's all, that's why it's marked all over the place, so in theory it only attracts the readers who would like that topic, not the ones who hate it.

Personally, I hate soccer and I will never go to a soccer game just to say I hate the sport, that's stupid.

The next point is those who complain that there is not a new chapter every three days. I've met people who complain that a novel they read for free can't keep up with their favorite wuxia writer who is paid to write and has blocked 50 chapters before the free cut. I'm sorry, I'm just a human who writes in his free time whenever he feels like it, I've only managed to write 260 free chapters with an average of 3,000 words, I'm sorry if I'm not a robot capable of writing indefinitely all year long for your personal and free entertainment.

Speaking of free stuff and lack of support, why not combine the two to make it even worse? One of the few ideas I had was to compile my story into books and publish them on Amazon Kindle, which people may not believe, but it also takes work, editing the structure of each book, porting it, creating the cover, organizing it, and editing it, all without help from anyone of course. Putting it on sale and not selling shit doesn't matter to me because the real idea was just to have it in book format and have it printed for myself. While I'm at it, I'm going to give the four books away for free and even let my readers know about it, I'm sure I'll get a positive review since I appreciate it? well, the answer was no review at all, everyone took the books and left, ironically the only 2 reviews I got were from the few people who bought them.

And to tie it all up nicely, readers who complain even I try to create a good atmosphere for everyone. Sometimes I put notes from the author about things that are happening, the release of the books, informing that they are being given away, informing that my computer is damaged and the releases will be stopped until further notice, informing that I will be on vacation at a certain time, major corrections of a chapter. What I try to do is to let the readers know a little bit about what goes on behind the scenes, to let them see that there is no machine that uses ChatGPT to write, because some things are written in a certain way. All of this ends with comments from readers complaining that the author is interrupting too much with his author's notes and should not publish them at all.

It's like, dude, if you're so mad about me commenting on my story, I might as well not publish anything at all, including the novel. Seriously, sometimes people like that make me want to give it all up and that's it, just write for myself and never put it on the internet if it's just going to make people mad anyway.

Again, I know that not all cases are like this, I know that there are people who are really interested in my story and they love it. But it's hard to go on when the majority are the ones complaining and the ones who like it never speak up, it just leaves the impression that everything I do is somehow wrong all the time.

I know a lot of people like my novels, maybe even the majority, but if they don't get noticed, and the review section is only filled with people who only got to chapter 10 to complain that they can't stand my story, and no one who's read the whole thing over the years ever says anything even though they enjoy it, it just gives the impression that this or that novel is a waste of time for readers and the author.

Well, I guess that's it for my TED Talk on the rising price of synthetic milk, I won't bother you with my anger anymore, you can go now.

J_Chemist

SalivaSpittingWorm

I hope you got that out of your system. :)

Yeah. It's frustrating. I've experienced some of the points you brought up. Also, the discussions with the "smart guys" who say that and this and that doesn't make sense and why it's like this when it could be like this and the poor author has to explain "why" without doing a spoiler are great. Exhausting and annoying.

But hey. We just do it mostly for ourselves, because if we didn't want to write, we wouldn't write, and for those readers who like it and can express it. Even if there aren't many, it's just good to know that someone likes to read it.

You have to get used to it even if it sucks. I've only been writing for about a year, and I almost gave up halfway through because I couldn't handle it. More negative stuff than positive.

It made me stronger. I'm more resilient. I'm training myself to tell the "complainers" something like "If you don't like it, don't read it."

After all, it's not like we owe the readers anything.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
Or complaining about what is obviously a plot clue left on purpose, but taken as a lack of organization by the autho
:blob_hide: and those same people will complain if you spell it out and lampshade it with the power of the sun, saying they can read between the lines.
Others complain that the novel is about what is written on the labels. The novel has Harem, Gender Bender, and Yuri ? hate those things, therefore bad review, one star, and I shit on you as an author for daring to try to talk about the topics that appear in the tags and the hypnosis.
i swear some people have no sense of what they like. People should have no right to personal opinions in reviews if they don't like the niche/genera; things like plot holes, grammer, character growth, etc are fair game, but saying the book sucks for having things they don't like? yeah, no GTFO with that crap.

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
Jesus tap dancing Christ dude. Red, you need to grow a fucking thicker skin. I feel like everytime I see a post from you. It's a post about how the readers keep giving you bad reviews.

Maybe, just maybe. They have a point and they were trying to give you constructive criticism. That what I saw on SH reviews at least. And after reading a bit of your story. Yeah, I'm not surprised if you got troll reviews on RR. The audience there is way more brutal. And if you can take their smoke, then stop posting on RR.

So, here my advice, which I'm sure you're going to ignore. Either you enjoy your own work and write it for yourself. Or, you take all the critiques and criticism to apply it and write a new novel.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I have someone from my old job who thinks he is GOD HIMSELF when he goes off his meds and periodically bothers me online.
This guy is lucky to be alive because he once tried to prove he was God by stepping off the balcony on the sixth floor of an apartment building. I suppose he might be god, in so much that somehow he didn't break any bones.

On the upside, I know where he lives, so when he gets too crazy, I just call up his case manager.

That said, until people start to actively behave in ways that threaten your life, or their own, I suggest you chillax. It's not that big of a deal.
In fact, I would rather have someone as crazy as Peanut Antlers in my life than not.

It is important to not just have people who sing your praises, but people who hate you. More importantly, INCOMPETENT HATERS. A stupid Anti-Fan is just as useful as a fanatical fanboy. An anti-fan will keep your name active without coming across as a sock account.

THERE ARE NO BAD COMMENTS, JUST BAD RESPONSES.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I tend to avoid stories with the harem tag. So I wouldn't know, I've seen some of the reviews on royal road that are more of a criticism of the genre rather than the story. I don't think those are that helpful.

That being said, comments about the work itself are mostly valid. If nothing else, the take away can be the a certain person doesn't like it. Not really much one can do about that so sometimes it is best to take note and move along.

overclockedw

Deserved anger. This sounds like a horrible experience, almost makes me happy that I don't get a lot of comments at this point. I hope that the positive readers who truly enjoy your authorship and your work can keep shining through.

IanWhite2105

Hello everyone

I haven't commented here in a long time and I'm sorry that this is the topic I'm coming back with, but I can't take it anymore.

First of all, I know that this is not always the case and I really have very passionate readers and fans who really appreciate my work, I appreciate them a lot and it is for them that I think I keep writing for so long despite the difficulties along the way, but to see that something I do out of passion makes someone else happy is a really special feeling.

But in spite of that, and as strange as it may sound, I also want to talk about the fact that I am also fed up with the damned Ungrateful Audience that seems to accompany me in certain places.

It is not in this site, on the contrary in this place is the most pleasant where I have come to publish my story, this story comes from another site where there is no forum mainly and a place with two R's, so I come to get even a little here.

The first complaint is that it doesn't seem to matter how big my audience is, which I think is pretty big for a complete stranger on the Internet. It just looks like a ghost town in an abandoned city. Many visits, no likes, almost no comments, blah blah blah, the usual, in reality this is normal, even expected from the internet, where in the best case only 10% will actually do anything other than read the chapter and leave. What bothers me is when that damn 10% has nothing else to do but complain about absolutely everything. From understandable things like grammar or plot holes or theories (most of which are wrong, but fun to listen to), to real idiocies like complaining that I'm not publishing my novel in Portuguese or French? Or complaining about what is obviously a plot clue left on purpose, but taken as a lack of organization by the author, like: the villain didn't kill the protagonist when he could, what a stupid villain, only nobody saw the part where he put a tracker on him and then attacked his base of operations just two paragraphs later.

There are also the real variety of comments completely WTF awards. Comments about whether this novel has a leftist slant, because this story, based on the real world, says good things about this country and bad things about that country, because it is trendy on the Internet to shit on this country, so your novel should do the same.

Others complain that the novel is about what is written on the labels. The novel has Harem, Gender Bender, and Yuri ? hate those things, therefore bad review, one star, and I shit on you as an author for daring to try to talk about the topics that appear in the tags and the hypnosis. Yes, it's fashionable to complain about the harem, that's what makes you unique and different, in a world of sheep they are the only wolves. I just want my story to be about the things I like, that's all, that's why it's marked all over the place, so in theory it only attracts the readers who would like that topic, not the ones who hate it.

Personally, I hate soccer and I will never go to a soccer game just to say I hate the sport, that's stupid.

The next point is those who complain that there is not a new chapter every three days. I've met people who complain that a novel they read for free can't keep up with their favorite wuxia writer who is paid to write and has blocked 50 chapters before the free cut. I'm sorry, I'm just a human who writes in his free time whenever he feels like it, I've only managed to write 260 free chapters with an average of 3,000 words, I'm sorry if I'm not a robot capable of writing indefinitely all year long for your personal and free entertainment.

Speaking of free stuff and lack of support, why not combine the two to make it even worse? One of the few ideas I had was to compile my story into books and publish them on Amazon Kindle, which people may not believe, but it also takes work, editing the structure of each book, porting it, creating the cover, organizing it, and editing it, all without help from anyone of course. Putting it on sale and not selling shit doesn't matter to me because the real idea was just to have it in book format and have it printed for myself. While I'm at it, I'm going to give the four books away for free and even let my readers know about it, I'm sure I'll get a positive review since I appreciate it? well, the answer was no review at all, everyone took the books and left, ironically the only 2 reviews I got were from the few people who bought them.

And to tie it all up nicely, readers who complain even I try to create a good atmosphere for everyone. Sometimes I put notes from the author about things that are happening, the release of the books, informing that they are being given away, informing that my computer is damaged and the releases will be stopped until further notice, informing that I will be on vacation at a certain time, major corrections of a chapter. What I try to do is to let the readers know a little bit about what goes on behind the scenes, to let them see that there is no machine that uses ChatGPT to write, because some things are written in a certain way. All of this ends with comments from readers complaining that the author is interrupting too much with his author's notes and should not publish them at all.

It's like, dude, if you're so mad about me commenting on my story, I might as well not publish anything at all, including the novel. Seriously, sometimes people like that make me want to give it all up and that's it, just write for myself and never put it on the internet if it's just going to make people mad anyway.

Again, I know that not all cases are like this, I know that there are people who are really interested in my story and they love it. But it's hard to go on when the majority are the ones complaining and the ones who like it never speak up, it just leaves the impression that everything I do is somehow wrong all the time.

I know a lot of people like my novels, maybe even the majority, but if they don't get noticed, and the review section is only filled with people who only got to chapter 10 to complain that they can't stand my story, and no one who's read the whole thing over the years ever says anything even though they enjoy it, it just gives the impression that this or that novel is a waste of time for readers and the author.

Well, I guess that's it for my TED Talk on the rising price of synthetic milk, I won't bother you with my anger anymore, you can go now.
I’ll just say that people who are complaining more than likely have genuine complaints about the work that would be irritating on normal times but a less than optimal mood would make it complaint worthy. say that you coming here and making an essay long complaint is you doing the same thing.

Not insulting anyone with this but there is a certain level of quality where it isn’t good but still up to par. Scribblehub has a lower than average par so mediocre works tend to be the standard, where as Royal Road tends to have a higher than average par meaning good works are the norm. You probably fall into the category of not bad but not good either.

I have a bunch of bits of advice that I can’t transition into with a proper structuring so I’m just going to write them.

Not taking constructive criticism is stupid so look at each comment with a neutral view point to avoid getting mad at people who are trying to help. You should look at people simply pointing out grammatical errors as most of the time they aren’t complaining and are just being helpful. Page views alone are not good as that means your work isn’t good enough to talk about. If you don’t want to put in the effort of fixing the things people are complaining about then make a little writers note saying they don’t have to read it if they don’t like it.
Only take things as serious as you are about said thing, if you are only writing for fun then don’t bother looking at the criticism.
If you get so many negative comments then don’t bother responding to any of them as that makes people feel validated regardless of whether or not their points were true (they probably hold some truth regardless). Insulting people who are complaining will just make them double up so don't do that. If you are going to insult people then make sure to jokingly fuck with everyone and make it your schtick. Make sure to notice the difference between constructive criticism and people complaining. If people take the time to leave a review then that typically means said complaints are actual problems and not just someone complaining. Good reviews mean little from the stand point of a reader and if someone leaves a good review when there are less than ~50k words then that means they are just hopeful of what it could be and are not saying it is good when they left the review.

I know I’ve said this multiple times but constructive criticism is good but if you don’t have to bother with it if your goal is to just write what you want. On that note, you should only write what you want to and then post what you are happy about as you will naturally attract an audience with similar tastes as you which will lead to less negative comments. Page views, likes, shares, replies, comments, etc… mean nothing unless you want people to validate you. Validation is not a reason to write so stop doing so. Do what you enjoy and if you don’t know what you enjoy then do as many things as you can at once until you find something you keep coming back to.

Last edited:

Tsuru

Robot
The first complaint is that it doesn't seem to matter how big my audience is, which I think is pretty big for a complete stranger on the Internet. It just looks like a ghost town in an abandoned city. Many visits, no likes, almost no comments, blah blah blah, the usual, in reality this is normal, even expected from the internet,

Wrong.

That is the thing.

Its 2024. Full of zoomers.
"Its internet" SURE. But what you dont know, is that IT WORSENED VERY HORRIBLY in recent few years. EVEN WORSE bc of CORONA, THAT ATTRACTED ALL THE [NORMIES/TOXIC-KIDS/WOKE/CRAZIES]

Check the comments in series : Slave harem (SH)
or : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/221239/returning-transcendent-opens-an-idol-agency/
or RR series : https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/8894/everybody-loves-large-chests (didnt read but read the previous YURI series)
or heck, check danbooru website comments section NOW vs COMMENTS SECTION 10 years ago.

You will see the BIG BIG BIG difference.

ps : danbooru, now you see bunch of normies, RP-ing, saying their impression of it, or being very toxic against "yuri/futa/yaoi" pics, or dramas in "darkened-skin-of-white-characters" drawings, you see people writing normal comments but being downvoted for no reason, or heck you see some trollers saying bullshit or spamming nonsense (you see DELETED COMMENT/USER = banned everyday).
ALL THAT. Wasnt present YEARS YEARS AGO.
Sure there were still morons and dramas before, like
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/74255

BUT IT WASNT THAT bad.

CONCLUSION : Before. Internet was for "degenerates". And as fellow degenerates or "lonely" people, there was kinda a slight wholesome vibe on internet (unless you go to 2ch/reddit/twitter). But now ?................... The majority of population came.
You have 5years old on internet, crazies that say earth is flat, people calling karen-women (but sexy body) "QUEEN" (current drama about Monster Hunter blindfold boss kill by a woman, SOMEHOW still denying she cheats),
you have people calling others NAZI, you have people defending "feminist script writers+VA" that input PATRIACHY text translation for DUB of Dragon Maid (also called QUEEN), you get arrogant people that never feel wrong in comments of youtube, that would BOTHER DEBATING for 30+ messages with their bullshit, like chinese young masters.

CONCLUSION 2 : If you ever want to see again the "wholesomeness of the past" like me = go to Hololive community. Because like in the past, [everyone is a degenerate and proud to be one, respecting each other]

ps : your words criticizing the shitty readers, was also mentioned in one of my favorite chinese novel. 5years ago.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
Hello everyone

Some people think they are cool and trendy if they piss off people online. It's how low they are in their insignificant lives.

In any case, carry on with what you like to do. May the gods of writing bless you with more appreciative readers.

Goodmann

Grammar corrections are love, not hate. The reader took the time to note it. correct it, & post-it to you; you don't have to make your eyeballs bleed proofreading to find it. In search of perfection!