The Chicken Pen (Feedback Thread)

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Thank you for your late reply! This bird is happy its feedback was useful and not words written at nothing, and wishes the Puppet to know that these words quoted have helped it understand the story a lot better. You had something interesting, which in this chick's view could shine, but was lacking a clear goal and while it was obvious it was a journey about feelings, where this journey was going to, or what it was proposing to do made it somewhat dubious. If our words helped you see it, we are happy. We only suggest things, for we are far from know-it-alls and tellers-of-truths, merely birds-of-feather, after all.

We wish you a good journey, Interesting Puppet.
So kind to thank me for the reply! You truly did not have to, but I appreciate it for sure! I really was late, and I shall endeavor to be faster and procrastinate less! I'm glad it helped all of you understand it better!
I appreciate the optimistic view of my fiction's future! I think your words did help me!
And I believe all of your suggestions tend to be on the mark.

Good journey and safe travels to you all!

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
The Red Egg has returned! (https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1008583-the-void/chapter/1014857/)
I personally think it's a bit better than the last one, but go right ahead and be as honest as you please.
You have delivered a much better experience this time, allow this bird to say. It was afraid, for a while, that you would have missed the moment to end the tension, but it arrived not too late. It was kind of predictable, having been spoiled by the narrative of the punch a bit too soon, but mysteries are not about the secret of the why so much as finding how things came to be, so it's interesting nonetheless!

Sorry for the delay, the chicken pen had to do some maintenance and took its time to read your work, reflecting its input. We wish you good tides, Adventuring Egg.

Incoming

You have delivered a much better experience this time, allow this bird to say. It was afraid, for a while, that you would have missed the moment to end the tension, but it arrived not too late. It was kind of predictable, having been spoiled by the narrative of the punch a bit too soon, but mysteries are not about the secret of the why so much as finding how things came to be, so it's interesting nonetheless!

Sorry for the delay, the chicken pen had to do some maintenance and took its time to read your work, reflecting its input. We wish you good tides, Adventuring Egg.
It's alright. Thank you for the feedback once again!

SurfAngel_1031

Thank you for your late reply! This bird is happy its feedback was useful and not words written at nothing, and wishes the Puppet to know that these words quoted have helped it understand the story a lot better. You had something interesting, which in this chick's view could shine, but was lacking a clear goal and while it was obvious it was a journey about feelings, where this journey was going to, or what it was proposing to do made it somewhat dubious. If our words helped you see it, we are happy. We only suggest things, for we are far from know-it-alls and tellers-of-truths, merely birds-of-feather, after all.

We wish you a good journey, Interesting Puppet.
Highlighted is the main reason I love participating in the thread.
The chicks aren't threatened by the want to assist or add to the public forum.
So thank you, once again, for allowing me to hangout and add things when I can.
The Red Egg has returned! (https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1008583-the-void/chapter/1014857/)
I personally think it's a bit better than the last one, but go right ahead and be as honest as you please.
Much better story this time around.
I have a personal quibble with using "deafening silence" - even though it is perfectly acceptable.
I read the line and thought "maddening" would be much more appropriate, but again that is a minor judgement call.

Other than that - I asked myself how a car battery was used. Again it's a minor quibble in my head. From what I remember about electricity a battery is DC and appliances are AC, so it threw me.

Overall, a huge improvement good red egg!

Last edited:

AdOtherwise

Owl Who Reads · Hoot Hoot
Hello there, stranger, welcome to the Chicken Pen.
Are you a writer, but do not have opinionated readers? Are you an author, but no one wants to actually look at what you have created? The chicken pen is the perfect place for you, then!
The Chicken Pen is a place of opinions. We offer several menus for you to choose from: from simple chick size to super chick size! But it all comes as a surprise! You have to first feed one of our resident chicks with your Story, and it will decide whether it is worth being eaten or not. But fret not, our chicks are not particular about what they eat:

1 - A story's text has to be selectable from a web-browser;
2 - A story must be posted on the internet and not downloaded into someone's computer;
3 - The chick decides what it eats. It never overfeeds;
4 - You can try to feed the chick more than once, but it is up to the chick to decide whether it eats or not;
5 - The chick only eats things that belong to the person trying to feed it;

If you would like to try your luck on a chick's opinion, here is your chance!
If you have any questions about an opinion, ask about it. The chicks do not tend to comment on comments about their comments.

**The Chicken Pen is a place dedicated to knowledge. Anyone who wanders here acknowledges that they are trying to better themselves on that which they have offered themselves in doing. Therefore, you are aware that once you have fed something to a chick, and it has returned to you an opinion, you acknowledge that you asked for it, and that regardless of how offended you might be by the chick's opinion, you will not pursue any senseless act of self-righting your so-called honour that might have been hurt by this Chicken Pen.**

Next 3 people to have their fee​
I'm coming back to the pen with some revised feed, let me know if its of a higher grade:

TsumiHokiro

I'm coming back to the pen with some revised feed, let me know if its of a higher grade:
Greetings, AdOtherwise. A chick has accepted your feed and come back with an opinion.

Firstly, for the purpose of this return, chapters 186 and 200 have been read. They have been chosen since you have a Patreon 30 chapters ahead of what is published in SH this chick presumes, but there was a small situation that happened during chapter 200 which cut short the experience. There was not much change from your previous writing, in fact, if anything, it could be said there was a bit of regression if we compared the last chapter read last time (156) with what has been read this time.

Chapter 186:​

1. Repeated words: "Suddenly, the forest became engulfed in flames; the flames seemed alive, converging on the grizzly mammal like whips and turning it to ashes. The fire receded and was extinguished, leaving the greenery untouched." Why are you repeating flames after having just mentioned? Also, this chick feels like "The fire receded" sentence would be better understood on its own paragraph.
  2. Referential confusion: "Kain's eyes became watery, and his father's angry upset him, 'I-I....'" There's no need for "and", else the sentence makes for a convoluted one.
  3. Repeated words: "Walking before his unconscious other half, Cain's eyes lingered before his eyes became crazed" Eyes twice. This sentence could have used it only once with pronouns or rephrasing.

Chapter 200:​

1. Idea Incongruence: "With a final step, he found himself in an ancient structure constructed from stacked stones. Rocks and pebbles fell from the ceiling, and on either side, coffins lined the hall with water running through cracks, creating basins on parts of the floor." There is something mildly disturbing about water running through the cracks, enough water to make basins. This is usually enough to deem places condemned real fast. Caves included.
  2. Idea Incongruence: "The malnourished man stepped before a large, heavy double door leading into an ancient crypt. The doors opened, revealing a massive cavern. The ceiling allowed moonlight to drown a plateau in the middle of it all." This chick begs your pardon, but you're underground. Since when do celestial bodies shine underground? Is this normal in your story? Also, what is "all" referring to?
  3. Referential confusion: "Peering through again, her heart dropped. The secretary was bleeding everywhere as the superior ripped apart her flesh with his teeth, which now had two sharp fangs. Zoe didn't dare move or reveal herself. She ran into a different hallway in fear and threw up." Not superior, but her superior. A very strange choice of "the superior" since before it had been said to be her superior.

Conclusion:

This bird has read the previous comment to you and they don't seem to have been taken into consideration, which is why this bird is kind of sad. In fact, what seemed to have improved during your latest future chapters have come back stronger during the ones which have been chosen! Therefore, this chick has decided it would be best to stop reading early instead of continuing reading.

Understand that while you do have a story to say, your form has a problem. Your choice of words seem strange at times. Other times you have this very fluid prose which is leaps and bounds better, almost as if another person has written it for you. The style is very different, with good usage of conjunctions, prepositions, and pronouns. In others, your prose is very fragmented, hard to follow and to make sense. This was very much the case of chapter 200 where your word choice for the vampire case required this bird to trudge through a muddy terrain. Meanwhile, the very end was fluid and crystalline. If everything could have flowed like the end, this bird would have such a joy reading your plot! Because you do have a story, what is hard to follow is how convoluted you deal with your words. A bit more care, making it simpler, would be appreciated.

This bird wishes you good luck in your endeavours, Owl Writer.

AdOtherwise

Greetings, AdOtherwise. A chick has accepted your feed and come back with an opinion.

Firstly, for the purpose of this return, chapters 186 and 200 have been read. They have been chosen since you have a Patreon 30 chapters ahead of what is published in SH this chick presumes, but there was a small situation that happened during chapter 200 which cut short the experience. There was not much change from your previous writing, in fact, if anything, it could be said there was a bit of regression if we compared the last chapter read last time (156) with what has been read this time.

Chapter 186:​

1. Repeated words: "Suddenly, the forest became engulfed in flames; the flames seemed alive, converging on the grizzly mammal like whips and turning it to ashes. The fire receded and was extinguished, leaving the greenery untouched." Why are you repeating flames after having just mentioned? Also, this chick feels like "The fire receded" sentence would be better understood on its own paragraph.
  2. Referential confusion: "Kain's eyes became watery, and his father's angry upset him, 'I-I....'" There's no need for "and", else the sentence makes for a convoluted one.
  3. Repeated words: "Walking before his unconscious other half, Cain's eyes lingered before his eyes became crazed" Eyes twice. This sentence could have used it only once with pronouns or rephrasing.

Chapter 200:​

1. Idea Incongruence: "With a final step, he found himself in an ancient structure constructed from stacked stones. Rocks and pebbles fell from the ceiling, and on either side, coffins lined the hall with water running through cracks, creating basins on parts of the floor." There is something mildly disturbing about water running through the cracks, enough water to make basins. This is usually enough to deem places condemned real fast. Caves included.
  2. Idea Incongruence: "The malnourished man stepped before a large, heavy double door leading into an ancient crypt. The doors opened, revealing a massive cavern. The ceiling allowed moonlight to drown a plateau in the middle of it all." This chick begs your pardon, but you're underground. Since when do celestial bodies shine underground? Is this normal in your story? Also, what is "all" referring to?
  3. Referential confusion: "Peering through again, her heart dropped. The secretary was bleeding everywhere as the superior ripped apart her flesh with his teeth, which now had two sharp fangs. Zoe didn't dare move or reveal herself. She ran into a different hallway in fear and threw up." Not superior, but her superior. A very strange choice of "the superior" since before it had been said to be her superior.

Conclusion:

This bird has read the previous comment to you and they don't seem to have been taken into consideration, which is why this bird is kind of sad. In fact, what seemed to have improved during your latest future chapters have come back stronger during the ones which have been chosen! Therefore, this chick has decided it would be best to stop reading early instead of continuing reading.

Understand that while you do have a story to say, your form has a problem. Your choice of words seem strange at times. Other times you have this very fluid prose which is leaps and bounds better, almost as if another person has written it for you. The style is very different, with good usage of conjunctions, prepositions, and pronouns. In others, your prose is very fragmented, hard to follow and to make sense. This was very much the case of chapter 200 where your word choice for the vampire case required this bird to trudge through a muddy terrain. Meanwhile, the very end was fluid and crystalline. If everything could have flowed like the end, this bird would have such a joy reading your plot! Because you do have a story, what is hard to follow is how convoluted you deal with your words. A bit more care, making it simpler, would be appreciated.

This bird wishes you good luck in your endeavours, Owl Writer.
Could I send you a chapter I feel confident in to see if that was good? I recently wrote a chapter where I was in the zone as well as took in some other feedback and would like to see if that made any improvements.

Thank you as always for the feedback.

TsumiHokiro

Could I send you a chapter I feel confident in to see if that was good? I recently wrote a chapter where I was in the zone as well as took in some other feedback and would like to see if that made any improvements.

Thank you as always for the feedback.
I could do it, DM me the link. But while you might write one good chapter, this bird thinks that what matters when writing a novel is delivering consistent quality, not writing sporadic great prose. Sure, those will inspire your readers, moving them to great depths, but you might lose someone's interest when you deliver a chapter where you were "out of the zone" and did not achieve the same greatness. Expectations are hard to deal with, and sometimes, having neither extremely sublime moments nor extremely bad moments but only "OK" moments might be the key to success.

AdOtherwise

I could do it, DM me the link. But while you might write one good chapter, this bird thinks that what matters when writing a novel is delivering consistent quality, not writing sporadic great prose. Sure, those will inspire your readers, moving them to great depths, but you might lose someone's interest when you deliver a chapter where you were "out of the zone" and did not achieve the same greatness. Expectations are hard to deal with, and sometimes, having neither extremely sublime moments nor extremely bad moments but only "OK" moments might be the key to success.
I have the same thoughts, I'm only requesting this to gauge my current consistency, then I'll have to find a way to increase it to reasonable levels. My new mission is to create quality feed!

ReadyGoLove

Hello, I would appreciate some feedback from the chick! ^^

TsumiHokiro

Hello, I would appreciate some feedback from the chick! ^^

Greetings, ReadyGoLove. A chick has accepted your feed, and comes back with opinion.

Firstly, for the purpose of this return, your only released chapter to date has been read. Know that your prose is of great quality and this chick was enamoured with it. If only more people were capable of writing with the fluidity and understandability which you do, it would have been such a joy to explore the internet archive of web novels! The single quote which this bird has decided to bring forth was found quite in the beginning and was something peculiar to the beginning of the chapter:

Chapter 1:​

1. Reference confusion: "As a kid that wanted to make friends, I quickly jumped to becoming a people pleaser. Not someone that got pushed around, but someone who seemed to get along with everyone. People saw someone who always knew exactly what to say, and how to act… and they adored that person." Two things to note: this part of the paragraph would make better sense if it were a paragraph of its own since it has a different idea from before (although it might be closely related), and the ending, a second reading is enough to clarify whom people saw as always knowing exactly what to say, but if you have to read it twice, it means your writing is not clear enough (this is your narrator, the kid).

Conclusion:

Let's talk about your remarkable prose, shall we? While it is great and there is not much which could be improved, a missing tag might be added, that of "Unreliable Narrator" considering that your MC seems to know the girl but is doing his best to not let her know of it. This is, of course, just an impression, but considering the age which the boy is, and the approach that you are taking with the story, which might seem to be the case. The boy is so very uncertain of so many things that are happening around him, of which he once was sure, that he now hides his feelings and uncertainties deep underneath a layer of fragile certainties, doubts he's willing to admit, and secrets better hidden and exposed in the future.

Also, this bird sees the romance quite from afar here. Your story makes much sense for the age of your characters, and it is also pleased with how it seems to be going to develop. As such, we hope you continue writing this story.

Have a good journey, Romance Writer.

TsumiHokiro

Greetings, Numero. The chicks have accepted your offering and come back with opinion.

First, for the purpose of this return, chapters 1 and 7 have been read as samples. While you do know how to weave words, your ideas do not make sense when linked. There's also a problem with your choice of words, some of them being more an approximation of the sound of what they should be instead of the exact word used (Buck naked, whereas it is Butt Naked), but this bird rushes itself, let's go slowly, shall we?

Chapter 1:

Idea incongruence: "Cleo coughed up a mouthful of water as he woke up to the taste of salt and blood. Occasionally, his nose twitched due to the fishy smell lingering in the air. As to his body, the lower half was soaked while the other half was dry from the heat of the sun." He just woke up, but "occasionally" his nose twitched? How long did you imagine this passage taking? In this bird mind, it should have been brief, yet, this adverb is making it seem so much longer than it has to be! Also, the way you write "As to his body", as if it was obvious, is instead, the first time his bodily parts are mentioned. In fact, this is the first paragraph of your chapter!
Idea Incongruence: "Forcing his aching body, he sat using his noodly hands". Noodly hands? Did you perhaps mean unstable hands? Noodly has instead given the idea of long, thin limbs. Sure, they are also soft, and untrustworthy to use as a support. Perhaps as legs and feet it might have worked…
Idea Incongruence: "Dragging his weakened body, he snailed to a blue baggage nearest to him, intending to make it his first step toward his goal." This human has done a very complex movement: snailing. The human body does not usually do "snailing". Are you sure of that?
Repetitive Idea: "Thinking of his needs, his stomach growled in protest due to his hunger." Stomachs growl out of hunger, so you're being needlessly repetitive here.
Repetitive word/idea: "Now that he’d decided where to build his shelter, he must now gather materials to build it". There are two now, needlessly.
Idea Inversion: "To find it, he needed to go inside… Looking at the lush forest, he was a bit overwhelmed." There's a paragraph in between here, so when you finish reading "inside" you are actually left wondering inside where.
Idea Incongruence: "Every stomp he made produced a crunching sound beneath him as the sand flattened from his black leather shoes." Those must have been quite the steps if he was STOMPING the sand.
Idea Incongruence: "Shaking his head, he ignored the vision he saw. It might be an aftereffect of the accident, as his head appeared to have received heavy trauma." Heavy trauma? Are you writing medical fiction? Because if it had been "hit his head hard" this bird would have sympathized with Cleo, but with a heavy trauma, it is instead worried he might need medical attention and this story might end as "And then Cleo woke up in the Hospital Bed. It had all been just a dream" for real.

Conclusion:

No chapter 7 remarks. It would have been a rehash of chapter 1, and quite frankly, this bird had to turn up its disbelief filter by quite a few notches while reading. It was doing real time edit of your chapter while reading since some parts were in dire need of rephrasing to make better sense: cut up the usage of repeated ideas, better usage of words instead of metaphors, don't be inverting the order you present your ideas.

Understand that while you might have a story to tell, and your form of presentation is not the worst this chick has seen, it is still lacking. You would benefit quite a bit from simplifying your language, writing more objectively and clearly, without wandering around,

This bird wishes you good luck on your endeavours, Farming Writer.

Numero

Greetings, Numero. The chicks have accepted your offering and come back with opinion.

First, for the purpose of this return, chapters 1 and 7 have been read as samples. While you do know how to weave words, your ideas do not make sense when linked. There's also a problem with your choice of words, some of them being more an approximation of the sound of what they should be instead of the exact word used (Buck naked, whereas it is Butt Naked), but this bird rushes itself, let's go slowly, shall we?

Chapter 1:

Idea incongruence: "Cleo coughed up a mouthful of water as he woke up to the taste of salt and blood. Occasionally, his nose twitched due to the fishy smell lingering in the air. As to his body, the lower half was soaked while the other half was dry from the heat of the sun." He just woke up, but "occasionally" his nose twitched? How long did you imagine this passage taking? In this bird mind, it should have been brief, yet, this adverb is making it seem so much longer than it has to be! Also, the way you write "As to his body", as if it was obvious, is instead, the first time his bodily parts are mentioned. In fact, this is the first paragraph of your chapter!
Idea Incongruence: "Forcing his aching body, he sat using his noodly hands". Noodly hands? Did you perhaps mean unstable hands? Noodly has instead given the idea of long, thin limbs. Sure, they are also soft, and untrustworthy to use as a support. Perhaps as legs and feet it might have worked…
Idea Incongruence: "Dragging his weakened body, he snailed to a blue baggage nearest to him, intending to make it his first step toward his goal." This human has done a very complex movement: snailing. The human body does not usually do "snailing". Are you sure of that?
Repetitive Idea: "Thinking of his needs, his stomach growled in protest due to his hunger." Stomachs growl out of hunger, so you're being needlessly repetitive here.
Repetitive word/idea: "Now that he’d decided where to build his shelter, he must now gather materials to build it". There are two now, needlessly.
Idea Inversion: "To find it, he needed to go inside… Looking at the lush forest, he was a bit overwhelmed." There's a paragraph in between here, so when you finish reading "inside" you are actually left wondering inside where.
Idea Incongruence: "Every stomp he made produced a crunching sound beneath him as the sand flattened from his black leather shoes." Those must have been quite the steps if he was STOMPING the sand.
Idea Incongruence: "Shaking his head, he ignored the vision he saw. It might be an aftereffect of the accident, as his head appeared to have received heavy trauma." Heavy trauma? Are you writing medical fiction? Because if it had been "hit his head hard" this bird would have sympathized with Cleo, but with a heavy trauma, it is instead worried he might need medical attention and this story might end as "And then Cleo woke up in the Hospital Bed. It had all been just a dream" for real.

Conclusion:

No chapter 7 remarks. It would have been a rehash of chapter 1, and quite frankly, this bird had to turn up its disbelief filter by quite a few notches while reading. It was doing real time edit of your chapter while reading since some parts were in dire need of rephrasing to make better sense: cut up the usage of repeated ideas, better usage of words instead of metaphors, don't be inverting the order you present your ideas.

Understand that while you might have a story to tell, and your form of presentation is not the worst this chick has seen, it is still lacking. You would benefit quite a bit from simplifying your language, writing more objectively and clearly, without wandering around,

This bird wishes you good luck on your endeavours, Farming Writer.
Thank you! Oh great Chick for your knowledgable words!

SurfAngel_1031

I took a look as well, but only chapter 1.
The chicks went over lots in their response, so my reflections will be more a "heads up" than anything.

1. First and second paragraphs are virtually the same meaning. You are all in on the island and how he feels. Maybe combine the two into something that flows better.
2. Keep in mind that if the guy is laying in the surf, there isn't any part of him that's dry. Waves keep coming in and he will stay wet. (I live at a beach) You were correct with the hot salt scent, but unless the are dead fish all over the place, it wouldn't smell "fishy". Seaweed or the like is far more believable.
3. Luggage. This is by far the most confusing to me. When I hear luggage I think the big bags that are stored inside the plane. I can't see why anyone would pack a single slice of chocolate bread in luggage. Maybe in a Carry-on, or purse or backpack as something the person grabbed at the airport before takeoff. It just confused me with the wording.
4. Here's the big thing. You mildly touched on it. The wreck itself. If the guy is yanking debris and luggage from the water, chances are that the actual plane went down close. All planes come with two boxes that have beacons that are active 30 days even in the deepest water. Within hours, that island would be flooded with investigators. Planes even have transponders that show location - especially the last location. It breaks the immersion.
5. Organizing thoughts. It appears at times that you are typing right into the editor and writing as the thought hit you, therefore it sounds disjointed. I advise taking the paragraphs and looking for commonalities and creating an order of events.

D

Deleted member 156229

This post alone is a creative masterpiece lol!
Hey Mr.chick, if you are still hungry, I would love to hear some feedback.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/1028921/mankind-diaspora-the-trappist-gambit/
mankind-diaspora-the-trappist-1-gambit-aaaa7qa14bq.jpg

TsumiHokiro

This post alone is a creative masterpiece lol!
Hey Mr.chick, if you are still hungry, I would love to hear some feedback.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/1028921/mankind-diaspora-the-trappist-gambit/
View attachment 26583
Greetings, rklehm. This chick has accepted your offer and has returned with some feedback.
For the purpose of this review, your only chapter to date has been read. No excerpt will be directly quoted this time. You write a good prose, with perhaps a few possible changes here and there in your wording, but nothing critical, and therefore, they would be far from essential in this chick's opinion.
Instead, this bird questions a few decisions that you have chosen regarding the military hierarchy in the story, or perhaps, what those entail to the future:
An XO who is mystified/afraid of their commanding officer is someone who does not completely trust them, has problems in their relationship. This does not bode so well for the future if there ever comes a time when both offices have divergent opinions. In fact, you can already see that the XO has a more lax approach toward discipline compared to the captain, Fredderick and Cikari situations when they have underperformed.
Otherwise, your story has a good pace, the reader can always expect something to happen in the next chapter, which is good, considering you have written a hefty 4k chapter! It has reminded this chick of a good book chapter instead of a web\light novel with shabby number of words because there is not much to be said, and if people try to say more it just becomes something monotonous. Everyone should find their own pace, and yours, with this quality of prose, plot and characters, is OK.
There is a problem, however. From time to time, you add an extra space between the paragraph just for the heck of it. Did you forget during your edits, or was that done on purpose? While you are doing your text without spacing, this addition of an empty line between paragraphs was somewhat irksome. You should decide to either do it every time or not do it. If you want to do a scene transition, add some kind of marker, and not just an empty paragraph, so that people know it was intentional.
Consider this a reader's opinion and something that is more of an opinion than recommendations. You have a very good style, a good text, and this bird would be interested in reading more you have to present. Therefore, where you go with your text is something this feathered creature is curious about.
This bird wishes you good fusion fuel in your tank. Sci-fi Writer.

D

Deleted member 156229

Thanks for your kind words, Mr.Chick!

An XO who is mystified/afraid of their commanding officer is someone who does not completely trust them, has problems in their relationship. This does not bode so well for the future if there ever comes a time when both offices have divergent opinions. In fact, you can already see that the XO has a more lax approach toward discipline compared to the captain, Fredderick and Cikari situations when they have underperformed.
The grudge between them is both a foreshadow and a plot device for future events that I've planned. Perhaps I went over the top in depicting them?

There is a problem, however. From time to time, you add an extra space between the paragraph just for the heck of it. Did you forget during your edits, or was that done on purpose? While you are doing your text without spacing, this addition of an empty line between paragraphs was somewhat irksome. You should decide to either do it every time or not do it. If you want to do a scene transition, add some kind of marker, and not just an empty paragraph, so that people know it was intentional.
The empty paragraph was supposed to communicate a short interval in the narrative. But I agree with you that it is not pleasing to read a text with inconsistent paragraph styles. I'll explore other possibilities to let the reader know that a few minutes went by and nothing happened.

Thank you again! I really appreciate the amazing work you're doing in this thread!