ruined and boring power systems

Garon

tell me examples of power systems that you don’t like or think they are ruined. for me, Domain expansion from jjk. It's funny when you only have 3 battles in the entire manga where de is completely used. Imagine that in hxh, they will tell us about nen. But we will see it in action only in the finale, or like that but in Naruto. bruh. I also don't like demon fruits from one piece, or power system like solo leveling. I don't like they concept. If you have examples tell me, and why you think it's bad

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
tell me examples of power systems that you don’t like or think they are ruined. for me, Domain expansion from jjk. It's funny when you only have 3 battles in the entire manga where de is completely used. Imagine that in hxh, they will tell us about nen. But we will see it in action only in the finale, or like that but in Naruto. bruh. I also don't like demon fruits from one piece, or power system like solo leveling. I don't like they concept. If you have examples tell me, and why you think it's bad
:blob_neutral: Any game systems. They break my suspension of disbelief. Especially if you skill intelligence, but the MC hardly seems to gain any.

ZukoMee

Naruto. Initially, people could be powerful BUT still some level of strategy or tactical ability was required when going into battle to be truly "OP."
Then it basically became a weird quasi-DBZ knockoff where more shouting, bigger explosions, and more shiny lights won the day. Combat lost all of it's intelligence and idk...uniqueness?

One Piece. The Devil Fruits are just becoming a gimmick. Yes, it is the source of their powers but....idk. Something about it has become so stale. Or maybe stagnant? Then came Haki which as an introduction, just doesn't really fit right to me with this series.

As a sidenote, it's weird to me that every single powerful pirate in the show, by virtue of the devil fruits.....can't swim. Maybe that's one of the reasons I just never could get into it as much. The disconnect there.

ZukoMee

THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE.
DISNEY STAR WARS
DOCTOR WHO
Marvel and Disney Star Wars I can completely see.....but I'm not sure what you mean by Doctor Who. I mean aside from the AWFUL "changes" they've done to the last few seasons and the current one that have made me refuse to watch it....
The Last Doctor I watched was Peter Capaldi and I was bored for latter-half of his run. I forced myself to finish it thinking maybe something would improve. But nope. It only got worse from there. The last good one was Matt Smith.

Last edited:

Shrimp_eater

:blob_neutral: Any game systems. They break my suspension of disbelief. Especially if you skill intelligence, but the MC hardly seems to gain any.
I'm trying to make a system based story for fun on the side and the thing i immediately realized is that its not good to use the RPG stats numbers game as a base (even in actual games i think this doesn't always work well).

What i found to work the best is to turn the system basically into Ethereal Shop for superpowers. "Buy invisibility for X points", "Flight powers for Y", that kind of stuff.

Garon

I ruined my system, then fixed it

How?
Naruto. Initially, people could be powerful BUT still some level of strategy or tactical ability was required when going into battle to be truly "OP."
Then it basically became a weird quasi-DBZ knockoff where more shouting, bigger explosions, and more shiny lights won the day. Combat lost all of it's intelligence and idk...uniqueness?

One Piece. The Devil Fruits are just becoming a gimmick. Yes, it is the source of their powers but....idk. Something about it has become so stale. Or maybe stagnant? Then came Haki which as an introduction, just doesn't really fit right to me with this series.

As a sidenote, it's weird to me that every single powerful pirate in the show, by virtue of the devil fruits.....can't swim. Maybe that's one of the reasons I just never could get into it as much. The disconnect there.
I even forget they can't slim. And yeah Naruto overall have bad final

Garon

I'm trying to make a system based story for fun on the side and the thing i immediately realized is that its not good to use the RPG stats numbers game as a base (even in actual games i think this doesn't always work well).

What i found to work the best is to turn the system basically into Ethereal Shop for superpowers. "Buy invisibility for X points", "Flight powers for Y", that kind of stuff.
I don't know. Every story I readed with this entheral shop, used it boring. But I hope you could make it better

ZukoMee

Overcomplicating it
Lol. It's usually the other way around. It usually starts off complicated...and then once people become OP, most of the earlier rules and limitations just vanish and are conveniently forgotten to be contradicted or retconned later on with no explanation.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Marvel and Disney Star Wars I can completely see.....but I'm not sure what you mean by Doctor Who. I mean aside from the weird "changes" they've done to the last few seasons and the current one that have made me refuse to watch it....
The Last Doctor I watched was Peter Capaldi and I was bored for latter-half of his run. I forced myself to finish it thinking maybe something would improve. But nope. It only got worse from there. The last good one was Matt Smith.
Doctor who started out with Just the doctor. Then he got a sonic screw driver. It was... a screw driver. That's it. It TURNED THINGS. Most of the time, The doctor solved problems by being smart, or using real world science in a fun MacGuyver way.

Then we got Modern Doctor Who.

The new doctor had a magic wand. That eventually could work on anything except wood. Then it could work on wood. Then it stopped being a wand and turned into a vagina. No. I'm serious. Look at it. It's a vagina.

Doctor who at least went through the motions of pretending to be science, but now it's straight up fantasy. It's just magic.

They ruined the power rules in Marvel by having no idea what they are doing.
They ruined the force which was Some TK, some Mind Influence, and then the darkside had lightning.

Now you got FORCE HEALING. Say, I bet Padme could have used some of that LIGHT SIDE HEALING, eh Anikin?

Of FTL? Now you can Light Speed RAM and light speed SKIP. Flick a switch, randomly teleport to other planets. Flck another switch, you can blow up DEATH STARS by ramming them with a X-wing.

The power systems have been DESTROYED because directors don't care about rules.