What do you look for in Online Games?

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I've got 2 examples: First up would be Aeria. The original. Not the monstrosity is has become. Aeria from back in like... 2008.

second, would be the Shin Megami Tensai MMO that they shut down after only a few years of operation (I can't remember the name).

Mostly, I like a clear class system, with each class having a specific use in gameplay. Healers heal, mages hit trash mobs, warriors attack the biggest, and tanks pull. But newer MMOs seem to lean more into the "anyone can do anything!" crap. I don't want to see a healer throwing out AOE attack spells. I don't want to see tanks doing more damage than warriors dealing more damage than twice their level.

but most of all, I want fully flesh out PvE. My brain doesn't work properly for PvP, so I tend to avoid it. sadly, i seem to be a minority, as PvP has become so pervasive that the last few MMOs I tried barely had much of a PvE, or did away with it almost entirely.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
For a mmorpg, content, complex fight, interesting farming, rewarding content, a good story (for other, I didn't really care except some fews part that interest me like raiding lore), also a + for beautiful ost/chara design/models

Sleds

I've got 2 examples: First up would be Aeria. The original. Not the monstrosity is has become. Aeria from back in like... 2008.

second, would be the Shin Megami Tensai MMO that they shut down after only a few years of operation (I can't remember the name).

Mostly, I like a clear class system, with each class having a specific use in gameplay. Healers heal, mages hit trash mobs, warriors attack the biggest, and tanks pull. But newer MMOs seem to lean more into the "anyone can do anything!" crap. I don't want to see a healer throwing out AOE attack spells. I don't want to see tanks doing more damage than warriors dealing more damage than twice their level.

but most of all, I want fully flesh out PvE. My brain doesn't work properly for PvP, so I tend to avoid it. sadly, i seem to be a minority, as PvP has become so pervasive that the last few MMOs I tried barely had much of a PvE, or did away with it almost entirely.
MMO are dying since it's not really appreciated by the new gen except a few of them and they have a hard time coming with news/original content. It's hard to find a good one nowaday, and like all of them, after one month of the release of a patch/expansion, there a huge lose of players. Don't know which mmo you tried or play, you can find some with good pve, but that won't last for long before you finish it.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
MMO are dying since it's not really appreciated by the new gen except a few of them and they have a hard time coming with news/original content. It's hard to find a good one nowaday, and like all of them, after one month of the release of a patch/expansion, there a huge lose of players. Don't know which mmo you tried or play, you can find some with good pve, but that won't last for long before you finish it.
and I get that. PvP is more popular for the replayability as each match will be different. but I'd personally prefer replaying the storyline.

SailusGebel

I don't thinks it's about appreciation. They simply got overshadowed and replaced by session-based games. Session-based games are also slowly dying.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Either a deep story and gameplay that isn't pay2win/grind2win or just some brainless fun you can sink some time into without wanting to kill yourself due to toxic community/meta. Enforced lane progression and/or a community that enforced it were the reasons I stopped playing both dota and LoL, and don't get me started with control decks in card games...

Damn, I really loved those, especially the SMT MMO, that was the first time I got confronted with a skill-based character progression in an RPG. Playing a really flawed dodge-tank debuffer/healer hybrid was so satisfying even when I got owned, which was most of the time :ROFLMAO:

Sleds

I don't thinks it's about appreciation. They simply got overshadowed and replaced by session-based games. Session-based games are also slowly dying.
When I ask a fps/br gamer if he would be interested in mmorpg, his first answer is, "it's too complicated, there too much to think about and too much buttons."

For me most people just want a game that is easy to enter inside and understand how to play quickly rather than a mmorpg who need like a month to level up to max level and then need hours to understand your class and then again need hours for each fight to be able to complete it.

People where more open to "lose" these hours in the past weirdly. Apparently they don't want that now, they prefer to start a game and end it after 30min/1hour

SailusGebel

When I ask a fps/br gamer if he would be interested in mmorpg, his first answer is, "it's too complicated, there too much to think about and too much buttons."
Is it connected to appreciation though?
For me most people just want a game that is easy to enter inside and understand how to play quickly rather than a mmorpg who need like a month to level up to max level and then need hours to understand your class and then again need hours for each fight to be able to complete it.

People where more open to "lose" these hours in the past weirdly. Apparently they don't want that now, they prefer to start a game and end it after 30min/1hour
Also, you grossly underestimate session-based game. It is true that they are very easy to learn. However they are a lot harder to master. Try beating some uber-duper dungeon in WoW. It can be super hard. Some bosses might be nearly impossible to beat. So does achieving good\best rank in CS GO. Global Elite is top tier? LoL, go play faceit, that's where good players are. And even there bottom tiers are considered trash.

In other words, I would say it's on MMO that the entry is a lot harder. Even games like World Of Tanks are extremely hard to master. You need to learn so much info, your head will explode. I'm not saying WoT is harder than WoW, but it's not that much easier to master. However learning the basics in WoT will take you less than an hour.

Sleds

Is it connected to appreciation though?
In some way yes, since it's what they appreciate.
Also, you grossly underestimate session-based game. It is true that they are very easy to learn. However they are a lot harder to master. Try beating some uber-duper dungeon in WoW. It can be super hard. Some bosses might be nearly impossible to beat. So does achieving good\best rank in CS GO. Global Elite is top tier? LoL, go play faceit, that's where good players are. And even there bottom tiers are considered trash.

In other words, I would say it's on MMO that the entry is a lot harder. Even games like World Of Tanks are extremely hard to master. You need to learn so much info, your head will explode. I'm not saying WoT is harder than WoW, but it's not that much easier to master. However learning the basics in WoT will take you less than an hour.
Never said anything about that. Just the effort you need to put in the entry level are different, the level you can attain inside those game are different too.

SurfAngel_1031

I'm one of the few holdouts from Wow, mainly because I have a ton of time invested. I started that game because I initially liked the story and the gameplay. It was easy to pick up and fun. These days, I guess it's more habit. I have drifted to games like Subnautica, since these games are complete and not laden with marketing to sell more and more. The only real shooter I play is world War Z: Aftermath, because the co-op is an absolute blast.

I don't mess with card games online like Magic or Hearthstone.

I do have phasmophobia, which of you like detective kinda things, that's fun.

SailusGebel

In some way yes, since it's what they appreciate.
Not sure.
Never said anything about that. Just the effort you need to put in the entry level are different, the level you can attain inside those game are different too.
I honestly think major reason, maybe even main reason why MMOs are dying is connected to social aspect. I think interacting with new people, making new friends was a major factor contributing to MMOs popularity. Especially considering how gaming at that time was still seen as something nerdy, unhealthy, and demonized. Where can you find new friends? In a game. Nowadays, with how fast and available the internet has become, development of YT, Twitch, and other sites related to gaming, you simply don't need MMOs anymore. Old generation grew up, the don't have time for making tons of new friends in MMOs, new generation use TikTok, Twitter, Twtich, and so on to make online friends. I think it is a major factor.

Iceheart

I search for games that doesn't force you to play a certain way to advance. For example in an older game I needed an item to promote a character, to let it level up further. And said item was only available in the PvP arena. I am pretty bad at PvP so this made getting the item an absolute chore for me, as I lost once for every two win. And I needed a lot of points to get said item and had to win a good fifty or so times so I could afford it. Then I had to do it again and again for other characters that need to be promoted too.

Dieter

the Writer
I play competitive games out of spite. I don't even enjoy winning that much. I quickly lose interest. It's losing that I don't like that makes me keep coming back. Besides souls-like, I play indie games. Ideally for their novel concepts or atmosphere. Signalis, Disco Elysium, Paranormasight, come to mind.

Sleds

Not sure.

I honestly think major reason, maybe even main reason why MMOs are dying is connected to social aspect. I think interacting with new people, making new friends was a major factor contributing to MMOs popularity. Especially considering how gaming at that time was still seen as something nerdy, unhealthy, and demonized. Where can you find new friends? In a game. Nowadays, with how fast and available the internet has become, development of YT, Twitch, and other sites related to gaming, you simply don't need MMOs anymore. Old generation grew up, the don't have time for making tons of new friends in MMOs, new generation use TikTok, Twitter, Twtich, and so on to make online friends. I think it is a major factor.
Maybe

ZukoMee

Do you mean the website, AeriaGames? Or do you mean a game called Aeria?

Right around the time battle royale games seemed to explode in popularity, I noticed PVE started to slowly just...vanish. It seems to be dying the way Single-player did for a while. However, since single-player games have begun making a comeback, perhaps PVE will to?

I play multiplayers, but I will always like single-player better. I have to be in a specific mood to play pvp.

Last edited: