I'd like to ask your opinion...

Should I divide my chapters into several parts?

• Yes

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
You know I write chapters @ 4k words on average, with the longest @ 6.7k. And of course, there are readers who can't digest all of those in one sitting (I mean, per chapter).

My question is, should I divide my chapters into several parts (like Part 1 and 2) with 1k-2k words each?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Around 2k words per chapter is good. Readers can finish it and remember the next chapter number when they want to continue reading, instead of suddenly stop at 3k words of one chapter and having to find where they stop.

Hans.Trondheim

My personal stopping point for each chapter is 1.2-1.5k words. Anything more than that and my brain just shuts off.

I think dividing chapters would make it easier to swallow :blob_paint:
Around 2k words per chapter is good. Readers can finish it and remember the next chapter number when they want to continue reading, instead of suddenly stop at 3k words of one chapter and having to find where they stop.
So based on your suggestions, I'd do what I used to do in Wattpad (where I append the words 'Web Version' in the title). I've been thinking about it, and I guess you guys have point. Thanks! 😁

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Only if each chapter is separated in some way. Or if you post it all at the same time within minutes of each other... unless you want to do cliff hangers.

Prsonally, I think dividing is fine if it all comes at once. Might be a good idea.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
A good point usually is about 1.5K-2.5K per upload for serials, or about 2.5K-5K for one shots (mostly because one shots don't have the characters and ongoing plot to remember). these numbers are from my experience.

I have split my chapter-parts, before. And the results were mixed. If you have enough readers to worry about their input, I'd recommend asking them.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
This all seems so strange to me. Longer chapters are more satisfying to read in my opinion? Small chapters have built-in breaks, pauses, even if it's just to move to the next page, so you don't get in as deep and it's just- unsatisfying. To those of us who are slave to the reading trance. Plus, for short chapters, you have to land on a place to end, and then in the next, a beginning that reminds the reader where you are, it means that each individual 'thought' is smaller, broken up, and thus they feel weaker. And if you don't do that, it's even worse, because it's just so jarring.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
This all seems so strange to me. Longer chapters are more satisfying to read in my opinion? Small chapters have built-in breaks, pauses, even if it's just to move to the next page, so you don't get in as deep and it's just- unsatisfying. To those of us who are slave to the reading trance. Plus, for short chapters, you have to land on a place to end, and then in the next, a beginning that reminds the reader where you are, it means that each individual 'thought' is smaller, broken up, and thus they feel weaker. And if you don't do that, it's even worse, because it's just so jarring.
The thing is, most novels on those type of sites are read like webnovel, on smartphone and for a little period. It's not like a book when you are confy in your sofa/bed/anywhere and just read for hours. Most people just read for a few minutes during a small period, so having smaller chapter are better in that way, since they just have to read for 5 to 10min depending of their reading speed and they just save the next chapter for next time, it's better than remembering where you left the chapter due to an abrupt halt or a pause for exemple.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
The thing is, most novels on those type of sites are read like webnovel, on smartphone and for a little period. It's not like a book when you are confy in your sofa/bed/anywhere and just read for hours. Most people just read for a few minutes during a small period, so having smaller chapter are better in that way, since they just have to read for 5 to 10min depending of their reading speed and they just save the next chapter for next time, it's better than remembering where you left the chapter due to an abrupt halt or a pause for exemple.
You can just leave the tab open to your place in the chapter though, easily. On your phone or the computer. Takes no effort at all. No different than using a bookmark on a physical book.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I would if there is a natural stopping point within the chapter like a scene change. Makes it more easily digestible for the average, non-binge readers

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I would say that never aim for a set numbers of words, just write until you feel your got to the natural end of that chapter, whatever are just 1.5 lk words, or 8k.

Because if you have a set number, and you pass ir, you will have to chopped to fit in , or if you don't reach that number you will have to filling it with whatever just to reach the number. And. In both cases are a burden to the readers and you.

Last edited:

Arkus86

This.
I understand why people like shorter chapters, either short attention span or just reading in whatever short breaks they get between other stuff, and don't like searching for where they ended or interrupting their reading mid-chapter.
But on the other hand, I too like long chapters of ~4kwords or more, while around 1500 it already feels like the chapters are over before they even start properly.

Hans.Trondheim

I would say that never aim for a set numbers of words, just write until you feel your got to the natural end of that chapter, whatever are just 1.5 lk words, or 8k.

Because ir you have a set number, and you pass ir, you will have to chopped to fit in , or if you don't reach that number you will have to filling it with whatever just to reach the number. And. In both cases are a burden to the readers and you.
Too late, my man. I already went 4k to 4.5k, though for sides, I can go as low as <1k - 3k.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
It is my firmest opinion that dividing it into shorter chapters is better because it is easier to edit and proofread it that way: less clutter, less searching for mistakes, and not too much in the screen and the eyes in one sitting.

sm_yesa

It depends, I usually end my chapter with a cliffhanger, so if there's a lot of scene on that chapter and you could cut it to make a cliffhanger, you could keep the readers keep going chapter by chapter but if you cut you novel chapter in an uninteresting end of chapter, it would not be good.