Writer Doubt

GabrielTenma

I've been kind of doubting some of my latest chapters. I kind of write with an overarching idea in mind while coming up with some stuff when I need to.

Now that I've reached more than 30 chapters I feel like any new chapter I write is going to derail something and then throw my overarching idea into disarray.

Anyone face anything similar before?

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
I've been kind of doubting some of my latest chapters. I kind of write with an overarching idea in mind while coming up with some stuff when I need to.

Now that I've reached more than 30 chapters I feel like any new chapter I write is going to derail something and then throw my overarching idea into disarray.

All of the time. Like. Obsessively so. I occasionally doubt my chapters so much that I cripple my ability to write.

My advice is to write a part of the overarching idea. Even if it's something that won't happen for ten, twenty, fifty chapters. Just that idea of what will happen (whether it's dialogue, little notes or whatever). It'll help spark ideas and confidence in the new chapters because you will have a better idea of where you're going with your overall idea. Plus, that future bit isn't set in stone so you can tweak it or get rid of it completely.

Or at least, that's how I got through writing some of the really bland chapters for SfAL. I knew I was going to reveal one hell of a spoiler in an upcoming chapter but getting the characters there was painful. So I wrote it out with who was present which helped me make other decisions in earlier chapters.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Well, just think of RPGs a lot of times the side quests are more fun than the main ones. We get lost in side quests, and that's fine. As long as you eventually find your way back.

GabrielTenma

All of the time. Like. Obsessively so. I occasionally doubt my chapters so much that I cripple my ability to write.

My advice is to write a part of the overarching idea. Even if it's something that won't happen for ten, twenty, fifty chapters. Just that idea of what will happen (whether it's dialogue, little notes or whatever). It'll help spark ideas and confidence in the new chapters because you will have a better idea of where you're going with your overall idea. Plus, that future bit isn't set in stone so you can tweak it or get rid of it completely.

Or at least, that's how I got through writing some of the really bland chapters for SfAL. I knew I was going to reveal one hell of a spoiler in an upcoming chapter but getting the characters there was painful. So I wrote it out with who was present which helped me make other decisions in earlier chapters.
I do something similar to this. I write what a chapter should be from the title and then write using the title

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost

Yeah, I'm currently going through one right now. I keep thinking that maybe Arc 4 is subpar compared to my previous ones, and it spilled to Arc 5, which I'm currently writing.

For that, unless it's really 'pronounced', I continue to write then check for plot holes after I completed the manuscript.

GabrielTenma

Yeah, I'm currently going through one right now. I keep thinking that maybe Arc 4 is subpar compared to my previous ones, and it spilled to Arc 5, which I'm currently writing.

For that, unless it's really 'pronounced', I continue to write then check for plot holes after I completed the manuscript.
What I'm getting at is just write and worry later

Obsoleteness

Going through it right now. All my edits have thrown the coming plot points into disarray and I hardly know how to fix it :sweating_profusely:

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
What I'm getting at is just write and worry later
Yeah, it's what I do. Though, before I release my work, I edited and quality-controlled it to my standards and satisfaction before I upload, so that only the big mistakes (if any) are noticed.